Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678104 times)

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #7395 on: November 30, 2018, 03:27:54 pm »

all paradox games work this way. dlc always add a bunch of powerful mechanics that make the game easier, if only because they give you more options to do stuff you were already trying to do.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7396 on: November 30, 2018, 03:41:28 pm »

As long as you can turn off the victory screen or play after it, I'm fine with the change.  Pretty sure that's confirmed.  It's an improvement over conquering the galaxy to win, which was kind of out of reach of pacifist empires short of building an insane number of habitats.

And yeah, a few people were leery about unlocking unity ambitions for everyone, but I think Paradox is making the right call here.  If they keep all of these features locked behind DLC then they have a much harder time building on top of them with later DLC because you can't know if the player will have the needed DLC or not.  Still, I'd like to see them lower the price on the older DLC or release bundle packs that include it, partly to account for the features being migrated to vanilla over time and just to reduce the perceived barrier to entry for new players.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7397 on: November 30, 2018, 03:56:54 pm »

Assisting research would be another valid use, yeah.  Despite my usually focusing hard on science, I didn't ever use research assistance very much because it didn't seem to help all that much.  Maybe I was misread or doing the math wrong, but even assisting on a research focused habitat or ring world segment didn't seem to give more than a few extra points of research per month per scientist.  Better than nothing, I suppose.
iirc it's a flat 5% boost to all science output for the planet per level of the scientist. The bonus goes up to 10% when you get the 'improved' version. That means a level 10 scientist can potentially double the output of a world I guess, though I haven't tested that

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7398 on: November 30, 2018, 04:02:47 pm »

Maybe so.  I mostly kept lower level scientists on it as a way to train them up to replace my research leaders, so maybe if I left them there longer it would have been more worth it.  I might have gotten to equivalent tech to the fallen empires a few years earlier last time if I maxed out use of research assistance.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7399 on: November 30, 2018, 05:46:04 pm »

Every single paradox grand strategy is about blobbing. Except ck. (We don't talk about Victoria anymore)
How to make stellaris good:
It's victoria kings in space
Victoria Queens surely.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7400 on: November 30, 2018, 05:49:23 pm »

Every single paradox grand strategy is about blobbing. Except ck. (We don't talk about Victoria anymore)
Victoria Queens surely.
Don't question royalty!
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7401 on: November 30, 2018, 05:54:46 pm »

This is all I've really ever wanted from Stellaris. A man can dream.

So instead of "conquer everything to win" now we have a high score based victory system? I guess that's.... sort of an improvement? I'll have to see the specifics of how it works.

Imo it's still dumb, but victory is going to be exactly as important to me in the new game as it was in the old one. 0%

all paradox games work this way. dlc always add a bunch of powerful mechanics that make the game easier, if only because they give you more options to do stuff you were already trying to do.

I think if there's one place that I can really give the Stellaris devs credit in, it's this, Stellaris seems way better with this then other paradox games. The DLCs have pretty low value for money most of the time because of it, but most of the "just more and better" things from dlcs are pretty much irrelevant and mostly you just get cool side stuff to do from them. (Like play robots or build megastructures.)

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7402 on: December 03, 2018, 04:17:48 pm »

I haven't played Stellaris since...well since a year+ ago. Its been a while.

Watching Quill18 play though, the new changes in megacorp look really amazing. No longer do you have the annoying building/population mechanic (never liked that part felt very very limiting) and a lot more things are more automated. I think that is coming in megacorp and not from a previous expansion. Still on his part 1 video, but it looks like a big improvement from when I last played Stellaris.

And it looks like you can recreate the East India Company...but in space.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7403 on: December 03, 2018, 05:21:07 pm »

I'm doing an achievement run while the DLC doesn't hit and... holy shit the game really doesn't want me to take the Synthetic ascenscion path. I have all the prerequisites, but I simply do not get the option to research synths.

EDIT: Obviously a few seconds after I post this, the technology appears. Obviously.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7404 on: December 03, 2018, 05:42:26 pm »

Rare tech is rare.  :)

Seriously though, were you into repeatables yet?  You're pretty much guaranteed to see other research options by then if you haven't seen them yet.  I think even rare techs are several times more common than repeatables in the shuffle.

I haven't played Stellaris since...well since a year+ ago. Its been a while.

Watching Quill18 play though, the new changes in megacorp look really amazing. No longer do you have the annoying building/population mechanic (never liked that part felt very very limiting) and a lot more things are more automated. I think that is coming in megacorp and not from a previous expansion. Still on his part 1 video, but it looks like a big improvement from when I last played Stellaris.

And it looks like you can recreate the East India Company...but in space.

Yeah, all of that's from the next patch / expansion.  I'm very excited and am sorely tempted to take a couple of sick days come Thursday...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7405 on: December 03, 2018, 05:48:23 pm »

Rare tech is rare.  :)

Seriously though, were you into repeatables yet?  You're pretty much guaranteed to see other research options by then if you haven't seen them yet.  I think even rare techs are several times more common than repeatables in the shuffle.
Not a single repeatable tech yet. Fallen empires have yet to wake up and the endgame crisis is still unknown. Great Khan came and went, though, and I opened the L-Cluster (got lucky and ended up with Grey).

EDIT: Nevermind what I said about repeatables, I'm seeing a couple now. Just didn't pay attention.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 05:51:06 pm by Teneb »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7406 on: December 03, 2018, 06:10:56 pm »

I am really looking forward to being an utterly reprehensible, cartoonishly evil, slave-trading megacorporation in the upcoming DLC.

If they don't want to be slaves, why are they made of labor and profit?
~Llamacorp
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 06:15:26 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7407 on: December 03, 2018, 09:18:58 pm »

I am really looking forward to being an utterly reprehensible, cartoonishly evil, slave-trading megacorporation in the upcoming DLC.

~Llamacorp
I'm still annoyed that criminal and non-criminal corporations are inherently delineated. I want my opium wars in space.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7408 on: December 03, 2018, 09:21:06 pm »

~Llamacorp
I'm still annoyed that criminal and non-criminal corporations are inherently delineated. I want my opium wars in space.

I was unaware of that, is it like, an opposing ethos like material/spiritual?

Also, Llamacorp would like to remind you that criminals are those who break the law, and those in power write the laws.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7409 on: December 03, 2018, 09:32:58 pm »

I was unaware of that, is it like, an opposing ethos like material/spiritual?

Also, Llamacorp would like to remind you that criminals are those who break the law, and those in power write the laws.

Criminal megacorp is a civic. If you don't have it you are an explicitly above board megacorp who can only make their way into other empires planets with legal agreements and your buildings are always a pure benefit to the people who's planet you build them on. (Well, except arguably if you're a megachurch, in which case the spiritual attraction you cause might be considered a negative) If you do have the civic you're a totally criminal megacorp who can't even try to make peaceful legal trading relationships with others and all the buildings you make cause crime for the planets you build them on. There's strictly no crossover between the ideas afaik.
Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 632