Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: First Day!  (Read 5941 times)

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: First Day!
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 05:54:42 pm »

I had such a boring high school.  Mind, we were literally small enough for everyone there to know everyone else, and we all got along remarkably well.  Very little bad happened; ergo, boring.  I'm hardly complaining.

As the Tolstoy quote goes:  "Every happy family is the same; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way".

Also, our elementary school went until 6th grade, then we went straight to high school (7th and 8th were called "middle school", but it was the same building and there was a bit of mingling going on).

In any case, good luck to those starting school of various kinds; I've already graduated from college, so...  by Jove, you people are starting to make me feel old.  :P
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 05:58:26 pm »

Dear Dwarf Fortress diary,

Today was the first day of my second week of college! Golly! It sure is swell; all the people here are at least moderately intelligent, helpful, and fairly nice; I had to turn down just bunches of folks offering to help me get around campus! Soooo much better than being repeatedly beaten and belittled in high school, THAT's for sure!

<3 <3 <3,
Reasonableman
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 06:19:51 pm »

We're getting latops next term. We get to keep them.

GO AUSTRALIA

That's how I got this shitty thing. How is it still alive, I've had it forever!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 06:29:55 pm »

RRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAGGGHHH

First day of my fifth year of college.  And no, I won't technically be a Senior until this semester ends, provided I pass everything.  I consider my higher education to a trial-and-error affair, jackass no-syllabus-giving "professors" notwithstanding.  I don't give a crap about brackets or letters or GPAs or statuses or any of that other regimental bullshittery, because at the end of the day, only one thing matters - passing.  "D" stands for "Diploma".

Fall semesters always suck.  All these dopey freshmen straight outta high school.  No idea what they're in for, think wheedling equals grades and Hollister briefs equals cool.  Largest entering class ever.  Crossing guards and security ushers just to keep the whole county from shutting down.  There are officially more cars than there are spaces for them.  People parking on the curbs and grass, and the roads are all torn up because the mid-summer renovations ran into delays, just like every summer.  Fuck I hate midday classes.  Why can't core courses run at night?

Everything's always more expensive.  $276 just in enrollment processing fees.  $135 for a parking permit to use lots that don't exist.  Every textbook is at least $70, used, and of course used versions aren't allowed because the online course keys don't match up.  Lines at the bookstore and parking office stretch around the building.  The online service is down, as always.

Just one year left, if I pass everything.  And all my degree-plan classes are actually offered in time.  And I can work in a full winter semester.  And I can pull together five thousand dollars for when my funding runs out.

Fuck I'm tired of going to school.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 06:59:23 pm »

it blows my mind that there are middle schoolers posting on the same forums as me.

because at the end of the day, only one thing matters - passing.  "D" stands for "Diploma".

Unless you want to go to grad school...or be able to tell prospective employers you actually put effort into what you do and show it with a good GPA.

Also, you probably go to a huge college. I would hate one of those.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 07:01:50 pm by Jude »
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2009, 07:03:08 pm »

it blows my mind that there are middle schoolers posting on the same forums as me.

Feel the pain.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 07:03:42 pm »

And curiously they're fairly sharp. I'd say I'd matured, intellectually speaking, around the same age, so it's not unbelievable. Heck, I joined the forums around the time I was a freshman in high school, I think.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 07:05:59 pm »

because at the end of the day, only one thing matters - passing.  "D" stands for "Diploma".

Unless you want to go to grad school...or be able to tell prospective employers you actually put effort into what you do and show it with a good GPA.

Some people don't do well in laying down stuff on paper.

I get those speeches, "Oh, you only got a 68%, hope you like flipping burgers".
Yeah, well, if I'm interested in the class and have a good teacher I pull 90-95%s.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 07:24:08 pm »

Heh, in physics at my school 50% is enough to get you an average grade :D
and 70% gets you the top...

and STILL people insist on getting 20%

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 07:25:41 pm »

Just a few more weeks and I'm off to university. My accommodation is Semi-catered (We get 5 meal tokens which we can trad ein for a free meal per week) So I'm probably going to end up living off 5 meals a week.  :P If I starve to death I'll let you all know. In other news I'm looking forward to freshers week, I have a half full bottle of absinthe sitting around and provided I've drunk it all by the end of freshers week I'll call it a success.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2009, 07:37:08 pm »

Passing.  Is.  All.  That.  Matters.  Any employer uptight enough to give a crap about my GPA is probably someone I couldn't stand working for anyway.  Just looking around my family, it's obviously not important everywhere.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2009, 07:41:54 pm »

Passing.  Is.  All.  That.  Matters.  Any employer uptight enough to give a crap about my GPA is probably someone I couldn't stand working for anyway.  Just looking around my family, it's obviously not important everywhere.
This.
 Taking a semester for community service does a hell lot more than doing well in college.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2009, 09:49:03 pm »

In 28 days I go to college for the first time. Except I have 2 classes a day. And I had to fight to get the classes. I hope I don't have homework the first day.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2009, 10:02:44 pm »

I mean, it's true. Still I'd rather be able to say I went to college and graduated cum laude (SO damn close to magna...stupid Grammars of English and Intro to Music Theory) than that I just scraped by.

Well, and I want to go to hotshot grad schools, so I kind of would need good grades.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2009, 10:09:23 pm »

In 28 days I go to college for the first time. Except I have 2 classes a day. And I had to fight to get the classes. I hope I don't have homework the first day.

What college are you going to that doesn't start until the end of September?  When does the semester end?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8