Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Individual Scientists! May 8th 2017 [7/7]  (Read 6085 times)

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
Re: Individual Scientists! May 1st 2017 [6/7]
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2017, 08:34:46 am »

Go to the library, get a library pass, borrow a book on mutation and/or animal genetics, and look for a good part-time job.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 10:43:53 am by OceanSoul »
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2017, 10:00:02 am »

Head to the scrap yard and look for scrap metal and engine parts.
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2017, 11:55:21 am »

Name: Picscis Majoris
Appearance: Tall.  Gangly.  Probably wearing some sort of xkcd-related equipment.

Recall pertinent details (funds, training, contacts, certifications).
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2017, 05:48:26 pm »

Head to a scrap yard and collect material, mostly electronics, but also any useful mechanical bits as well.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Individual Scientists! May 2nd, 2017 [7/7]
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2017, 07:09:45 pm »

TheBiggerFish and Gwolfski are now on the waitlist. Anyone else who wants to join, feel free to enter the waitlist.
Banelord, you didn't include a first action in your post so you had no action this turn.

And mechanics clarification: The "Knowledge" section in the spoilers is for more individual topics you've learned. The idea is to make it simpler for me and the player to determine what they know. So it's more for "Laser Construction" after you succesfully make a laser rather than for "Advanced Physics" after you study it. Though learning things and topics through ways other than inventions is definitely possible.
The mechanic is subject to change.
In addition to this, jobs have been severely nerfed from Independent Scientist. Since this is more competition-based, you're more encouraged to make money via science. Job wages are very subject to change.

Let me know if I missed anything this post.

May 2nd, 2017
After a curious day of doing nothing, today was when each scientist would actually begin. No more false starts!

Roboson
You decide to go the tried-and-true route and heads over to the scrapyard to look for primarily electronics and any useful mechanical pieces. As you scrounge in the piles of junk, you sees some rather mysterious individual doing the same thing. You scoff at this man's clearly inferior scrap-collecting capabilities and continue going about your day.

Eventually, you return at the garage with the wondrous fruits of your labor: 7u scrap electronics and 2u mechanical bits. The scrap electronics are self explanatory, while the mechanical bits encompass parts once belonging to simple mechanical assemblies, like gears and small mechanical joints.

Spoiler: Roboson (Roboson) (click to show/hide)

Nix
You head over to the library with a mission. You scour the bookshelves and computer catalogs for any books about neuroscience, psychology, and other aspects of the human mind. Surprisingly, your local library has a plethora of books on neuroscience. Psychology is limited to less-scientific books including masterpieces such as "Psychology 101: How to make your crush reciprocate your feelings". You decide not to take that one, but you do find some semi-useful books. And finally in your search, you find a decent amount of books covering a wide variety of topics on the human mind.
Once you finish your sixth trip to the checkout desk with your arms containing another three stacks of books, the librarian only now decides to tell you they have a strict checkout limit of 3 books.
After you finish picking up the books you knocked off the desk and apologize to the librarian, you pick out three books - a Neuroscience Graduate Textbook, a Simple Psychology Book, and The Human Mind 101, a regular textbook - check them out, and depart. The librarian made sure to remind you they were due back on the 9th. You've had better experiences in libraries.

Spoiler: Nix (NRDL) (click to show/hide)

Jack Flash
You find a low-quality netbook at a store of questionable reputation for $31. You drop it off at the garage, make sure it boots up, wait ten minutes for it to finish booting up, turn it off, then leave again to find a job at some kind of fast food place.

...You don't find a job. You suspect it could be the "boasts" you included in your applications, but really, any self-respecting manager should know a catch when they see one. Their loss.

Spoiler: Jack Flash (Happerry) (click to show/hide)

Billy Quick
You make your way to the nearby conveniently-placed scrap yard. After passing by a strange person with clothing dirtied by the area focused on scrap-gathering, you begin your work. You end up finding 5u Scrap Metal and 2u Engine Parts. The engine parts seem easy to individually restore, but it'd be hard to build an engine from them considering the large variety of brands and types available.

You head back to your home with the loot, account for everything, make sure you didn't lose anything, then decide that your activities today are finished.

Magen E. Tuene
You go to one of the libraries in the town. Ignoring someone in a rage knocking huge stacks of books all over the librarian's desk, you find someone else to talk to and ask about a library pass. They tell you it's $5 and lets you borrow books for 2 weeks at a time - a week longer than without a pass - and have 2 more books borrowed at a time. You accept and get your new shiny Library Card. You walk past the previously-raging stranger who is now somberly picking up the scattered books one at a time and locate two books - an informative book on mutation[/color] and a Genetics Graduate Textbook. This library has a shocking amount of textbooks in it, you notice.
You check the books out and leave, observing the formerly-somber man trying to pick some books from the reassembled stacks on the desk.

You arrive at your garage, happy with your convenient exchange at the library. After the books are stored away, you leave to find a part-time job for some extra cash. You do find one, but it's extraordinary awful - only $5 a day. Regardless, it's still a job.
Tomorrow, you will receive $5 from your part-time job.

Sausest Fage
You buy several varieties of uncooked pasta from the store for $5.
The result is actually revolting. Immediately after creating it, a disgusting smell wafts throughout your garage. Wasting no time, you find a heavy-duty trash can a reasonable distance away from your garage to dispose of it. You see several people vomitting as you quickly walk away with your nose plugged, and later you hear that the nearby building was evacuated due to a "gas leak".

And before you try to do something, no, this is not weaponizeable. One, you fear you may get terminal cancer regardless of precautions if you try it again, and two, there's just a gut feeling that doing so is not a good idea. At least you think you're less likely to poison people if you ever make them food.

Though this newfound knowledge of what not to do in making pasta easily secures you work at a nearby pasta restaurant. It's really not a great wage, though.
Tomorrow you'll get $6 from your job at a pasta kitchen.
Spoiler: Sausest Fage (RAM) (click to show/hide)

James "Scrap Lord"
Scrap Lord didn't do anything today.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 10:22:59 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Individual Scientists! May 2nd 2017 [7/7]
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2017, 07:16:49 pm »

Roboson returns to the junkyard again, looking for metal scrap and other mechanical bits. He then goes to a used electronics store and buys as much old technology as he can afford can for $70.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2017, 07:17:11 pm »

Buy 10$ worth of pencils and notebooks, start jotting down all the main points of the library books in them, focusing on the information based around human mental suggestibility and mental manipulation.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2017, 08:04:43 pm »

I was only in it for the introduction to cooking science anyways, so this is a net win. I may not be able to reproduce this miracle of science, but there will be others...

Bring samples of pasta home and experiment to improve its elasticity and tensile strength
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2017, 08:11:18 pm »

What about looking for a part-time job?
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2017, 08:14:30 pm »

Added it in; sorry.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2017, 08:20:58 pm »

In that case, I'll study the informative mutation textbook to better understand it's contents. Also, I would like a few more specifics about by job; they may provide me with a way to obtain other assets.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2017, 09:06:57 pm »

Jack Flash - May 2nd Action

Go to the library, get a library card, and then check out books on programming. Read said books, and use the knowledge gained and the laptop to design an app puzzle game which can be sold for money.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Yottawhat

• Bay Watcher
  • New face, new look.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2017, 09:12:40 pm »

Billy Quick

Buy a lock picking set and test my lockpicking skills on broken car doors at the scrapyard.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 09:38:50 pm by Yottawhat »
(1) You start forward with determination and certainty. You carry this determination with you right into the gaping crater that opens under your feet. You fall into a pit. The sounds of combat above dim, along with the light from the suns. In the quiet below, you hear some other noises instead.

banelord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2017, 06:19:19 am »

Buy a small battery, some electrodes, some purified water and some beakers. Then head to the scrap yard and search for junk metal, and begin electrolysis to obtain pure metals.

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2017, 06:53:12 am »

Name:  Karl Grey

First action: Call up some of my contacts at the University, then go to the University library, and  find books on genetics, botany,  and engineering.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7