Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1215743 times)

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (OOPS)
« Reply #3855 on: April 03, 2011, 05:12:36 am »

You could potentially sacrifice one of the other tree tiles in the tileset to give yourself another tile to work with.  You already are using multiple different tiles for cave "trees", anyway.

Having certain tiles always mean "tree", and just having them different colors, while other tiles always mean "shrub" or the like make it much easier to find those items.  You could move towards having a tile where the "trunk" of the wood mushroom is very visible, while edible mushrooms are a different tile where the object is smaller in general, and the cap of the mushroom is more visible.
Could also make edible/pickable mushrooms look like a small group of mushrooms rather than a single big one
Thats what I was thinking. Dont mind if plump helms looked like a group, I think it could look pretty neat as a cluster(and real edible mushrooms tend to grow in clusters rather than as loners)

Edit: mockup
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 06:14:59 am by Ethicalfive »
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: April 03, 2011, 08:59:03 am »

Cool, thanks for the suggestions, guys!

"When you scroll over a creature in the units screen, it turns black and you can't see it."

THIS HAS BEEN A PROBLEM FOREVER, and it's STILL not something I can fix. If you don't like it, turn off TTF in the init file.

"I find that smooth and rough walls look too similar. I would prefer to be able to tell them apart more easily."

Really? Like, even with the new update? I'm pretty sure they look nothing alike now... unless I'm misunderstanding you.

"How do I undo the April-fools joke thing?"

The real graphics set is still where it always has been. By the way (and this is for everybody), that link will never change. That URL will always lead to the latest version of Ironhand and Wormslayer's graphics. Just FYI.

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: April 03, 2011, 10:51:26 am »

Could also make edible/pickable mushrooms look like a small group of mushrooms rather than a single big one
Thats what I was thinking. Dont mind if plump helms looked like a group, I think it could look pretty neat as a cluster(and real edible mushrooms tend to grow in clusters rather than as loners)

Edit: mockup

That might look pretty cool with farms.  Do you think you could try something like this Ironhand?
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: April 03, 2011, 02:52:04 pm »

"I find that smooth and rough walls look too similar. I would prefer to be able to tell them apart more easily."

Really? Like, even with the new update? I'm pretty sure they look nothing alike now... unless I'm misunderstanding you.

Oh, you're right. I guess I missed the newest update.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

melpomenee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: April 03, 2011, 04:29:46 pm »

Hitting K while underground persistently causes crashes while using this graphics set.  Likewise, trying to build things like kitchens and walls also causes a crash.  I found briefly that I could view stuff underground if I shrank the window substantially but even that wasn't a consistent fix.

For reference:  proc=Core i7 Q720, RAM=6 gigs, video=ATi Mobility Radeon HD 4830, resolution=1920x1080

Valience

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: April 03, 2011, 07:20:25 pm »

Hitting K while underground persistently causes crashes while using this graphics set.  Likewise, trying to build things like kitchens and walls also causes a crash.  I found briefly that I could view stuff underground if I shrank the window substantially but even that wasn't a consistent fix.

For reference:  proc=Core i7 Q720, RAM=6 gigs, video=ATi Mobility Radeon HD 4830, resolution=1920x1080
OS would be useful too. I think there's a crash with k under linux currently. Try looking back a couple pages, I think Baughn and someone else were briefly touching on it.

In other news:

Now that you've fixed my two biggest complaints about the set (ugly walls and impossible to tell apart unless my eyes are touching the screen smooth/engraved floors) I feel like I could offer my bromance to you.

I do like the idea of harvestables being groups while trees are singular. It makes more sense to me as well since nearly all farmable/gatherable items can grow in stacks of many while trees will always give one lumber.

In other news, I tried using paint.net to hax that pot graphic someone made into the current tileset, but i seem to have lost all the alpha channel information when i saved it. Any suggestions? I do just save it as a 24bit png right? If nothing else, maybe add that pot for the next release and if possible edit tables and traction benched to use the same graphic (personally i like the traction graphic)? :D?
Regardless of what I said previously, DF elves don't chop. They merely coax the wood out of a tree in a manner which is probably sexual. So yes, they are terrible, terrible beings.

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: April 03, 2011, 07:35:23 pm »

I ran into this consistently a while back, but fixed it completely by turning off true-type fonts (in the init file).

melpomenee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: April 03, 2011, 09:53:41 pm »

OS would be useful too. I think there's a crash with k under linux currently. Try looking back a couple pages, I think Baughn and someone else were briefly touching on it.

In other news:

Now that you've fixed my two biggest complaints about the set (ugly walls and impossible to tell apart unless my eyes are touching the screen smooth/engraved floors) I feel like I could offer my bromance to you.

I do like the idea of harvestables being groups while trees are singular. It makes more sense to me as well since nearly all farmable/gatherable items can grow in stacks of many while trees will always give one lumber.

In other news, I tried using paint.net to hax that pot graphic someone made into the current tileset, but i seem to have lost all the alpha channel information when i saved it. Any suggestions? I do just save it as a 24bit png right? If nothing else, maybe add that pot for the next release and if possible edit tables and traction benched to use the same graphic (personally i like the traction graphic)? :D?

OS=Windows 7 x64

The problem does seem to be true type font issue because Mayday and Phoebus work just fine.

dieffenbachj

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Smiles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: April 04, 2011, 02:52:13 am »

Yeah my best fortress in a while got killed by a k-related TTF bug making me crash any time I looked pretty much anywhere, so I'm waiting patiently for that to get fixed. Only real fix was turning off TTF...

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: April 04, 2011, 03:14:45 am »

Hum. I'll take a look.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: April 04, 2011, 03:19:18 am »

I've found that removing the special accent characters from the language raws helps keep down TTF related crashes, if it helps narrow down the issue.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: April 04, 2011, 09:37:04 am »

Yeah, the mushroom cluster idea is awesome. I'll totally take a look at that when I get a chance.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: April 04, 2011, 09:55:54 am »

I've found that removing the special accent characters from the language raws helps keep down TTF related crashes, if it helps narrow down the issue.
Oh! Of course, I should have realized.

Yeah, there's a sign bug in the CP437->Unicode converter; basically, any letter above 127 (which means accented ones, etc.) get mapped to negative values.. which makes it read random memory in the 512 bytes before the array. Bad.

Usually that just maps to nonsense values that don't cause trouble as such, but if the memory isn't even *mapped* it'd cause a segfault - not very likely - or possibly it might crash freetype. Either way, I already fixed that bug so it should be fine next release.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: April 04, 2011, 10:09:24 am »

I have to say, I like what Phoebus has done with his newer stuff.  The thing is, i've always seen is as basically three options for DF visuals:

ASCII: The old, the tried, the true... the confusing.  Guaranteed not to make a goblin look like a goblet, because they don't look anything like what they're supposed to in the first place ;)

IRONHAND: That's you, Llama! Your set has always been the snazzy "realistic" option for me.  Things look as they should, pretty and vibrant (or horrifying and disgusting, as the case may be).

Phoebus: His set has always been, for me, an iconic graphical redux of the ASCII tiles.  things are easilly distinguishable even zoomed out because of this iconic nature.

I think, if anything, that's what you should shoot for.  The clusters of mushrooms are one example of a good idea that is both graphically realistic (you don't grow one mushroom to eat, do you), and iconic as well.

ALSO! I personally have been playing around alot with worldgen, and I'm starting to get annoyed with the "vertical axle" or "pipe" or whatever icon that is that is part of the rivers.  It breaks the look and feel something awful from the twisty little rivers you see in every other orientation.  What is that icon supposed to go to in Dwarf fortress, and is it possible to recenter it without breaking how it looks over there?

UGH! The blue background doesn't bother me at all, I can overlook that.  But it just BREAKS the map for me, you know? The section could even be straight, so long as it was centered in the same way as the other tiles.  If you can't fix that one tile because it MUST look like that, then what about recentering the OTHER river tiles?

Either way, I already fixed that bug so it should be fine next release.

Ninja'd while replying.  YAY! Thanks Baughn.  Love ya for this.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Ghundio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: April 04, 2011, 10:41:25 am »

Are all the ores supposed to look like a angry samurai, the 11th icon on the top row? Just curious if its just me
Go into your stocks menu. You'll see a masterwork adamantine sword of some kind. Zoom to its location and you'll be directed to the bottom of the curious structure.

Go now and claim what is rightly yours. And watch out for the zombies.
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 329