Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2207 2208 [2209] 2210 2211 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3640895 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #33120 on: October 24, 2019, 04:59:41 am »

- Demand integration into an inter-website integration system for social media. So that people on Facebook can still interact with people on Google+ or whatever.

Probably not very feasible. But it would allow smaller websites to compete based on their own merits rather on the merit of exclusivity (the rule of "everybody has Facebook so you gotta have Facebook too).
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33121 on: October 24, 2019, 05:15:16 am »

I think you'd find that with transferrable logins then the very idea of a giant website like Facebook would no longer make as much sense.

I'll use Disqus as an example again. Many different websites have Disqus integration, and you can use your Disqus login to make posts on any of the sites. However, you don't need a "Disqus website" to access the content. The content is decentralized, but the logins are centralized.

So take that one step further and have transferrable IDs between Disqus-like account providers, along with different sites being able to host their own content. We're already seeing this with OpenAuth situations where people can use Facebook to log into third-party sites, but we take that one step further and allow you to switch account providers.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #33122 on: October 24, 2019, 05:53:07 am »

So basically federated systems a la Fediverse.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33123 on: October 24, 2019, 08:10:03 am »

I'm a bit torn.

Not in candidate, because the legality of me doing anything campaign-related is dubious enough that I avoid any of it as much as possible (in reading apparently I legally can donate specifically due to my greencard, but that's too tenuous to trust).

As it's been known for a while now, I'm very anti-monopoly, and find that the tech sector has a serious monopoly problem. Their defense has always been that "with us gone China will fill the void", and on thinking on it, they're not entirely wrong. Chinese companies have already demonstrated their willingness to get involved in any economic venture that they can, and their general allegiance to China. Any destruction of US monopolies would have to coincide with protection against foreign monopolies from shoving their way in.

That, or whatever force that takes out US monopolies has to take out China too.

So... stuck with US monopolies, stuck with Chinese monopolies, or global societal collapse? I suppose if I'm leaning towards the latter, that I'm better off learning to stop worrying and love the US tech industry. At least, as a means to an end.

And China (and other countries) have to let their companies do whatever, because US companies have been running government since forever.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33124 on: October 24, 2019, 10:42:53 am »

laughably absurd, yet once you argue with a lot of folks and get down to brass tacks it tends to be what they genuinely believe.

For the democratic primary i'm obviously rooting for sanders, since at the very least i'd love to see some personal enemies of mine die from shock. Tulsi Gabbard seems decent enough to me too, though since I'm unfortunately registered republican I can't vote so i don't know much about her.

Speaking of which, I have no fucking clue who i'd vote for in the gop primary, if any of the peripheral republicans who don't suck trumps dick to keep the kiddy diddling coffers full even decide to run. I'd be a lot more relieved if more congressman would go the Justin Amash route and strike out on their own. My senators in GA would make decent(?) picks, but they're too old to want to rock the boat and risk losing their seats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Republican_Party_presidential_primaries

There are choices running. None of them are extremely enticing. Also that only applies if you're in one of the states that hasn't cancelled their republican primary already.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #33125 on: October 27, 2019, 05:14:44 am »

Isis leader al-Baghdadi is being reported dead after an overnight US raid in Syria. Donald Trump is expected to take full credit for single handedly defeating Isis shortly.
At least we are all safer this morning than we were last night.

In other overnight news, two killed and at least fourteen injured at a school shooting in Greenville, Texas. Thoughts and prayers.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 06:22:31 am by Folly »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33126 on: October 27, 2019, 06:55:06 am »

If only that was how it works. We got rid of the terrible Saddam and things really improved after that. Taking the head off the hydra may mean that 3 new heads grow back.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33127 on: October 27, 2019, 07:44:12 am »

Now all we need to do is to pull out completely because something something peace not war economy middle east republican imperialism and then ISIS˛ can form and kill the rest of the indigenous population.

Real American Heroes!
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33128 on: October 27, 2019, 08:09:33 am »

We can't pull out yet until we destabilize Iran. Otherwise they might feel like they won.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33129 on: October 27, 2019, 09:01:48 am »

I can't wait for Iran to blow up all of Saudi Arabia's water train and oil facilities in approximately one week and instantly win the war.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33130 on: October 27, 2019, 09:10:18 am »

If only that was how it works. We got rid of the terrible Saddam and things really improved after that. Taking the head off the hydra may mean that 3 new heads grow back.

Ah, but you’re supposed to cauterize the stump before it manages to split and grow back. That’s how the story goes anyway. Just what ‘cauterizing the stump’ would entail in this case though, no idea.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #33131 on: October 27, 2019, 09:57:06 am »

I really disliked the part of Trump's speech where he said something to the effect of 'of course we won, because our god is better than their god'. That kind of talk is only going to encourage more radicalization.
Also where he said 'I think we should show the world the video of al-Baghdadi cowering in fear and killing himself, so everyone will know what happens to our enemies'.
This is seriously some of the least presidential behavior we've seen from Trump, which was already a very low bar.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33132 on: October 27, 2019, 11:08:45 am »

I'm surprised you all believe him. This is Trump, and it's just after the Ukranians' awareness of the quid pro quo was established.

It's too good a smokescreen. I'll believe it when we get independent confirmation from someone who is not a deranged pathological liar or in his Mob-like administration.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33133 on: October 27, 2019, 11:41:53 am »

I'm surprised you all believe him. This is Trump, and it's just after the Ukranians' awareness of the quid pro quo was established.

It's too good a smokescreen. I'll believe it when we get independent confirmation from someone who is not a deranged pathological liar or in his Mob-like administration.

ISIS themselves? I suppose you can wait for one of the SEAL team members to write a book or something.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33134 on: October 27, 2019, 12:14:35 pm »

ISIS themselves? I suppose you can wait for one of the SEAL team members to write a book or something.

Well, I'd trust ISIS over Trump. Confirmation by a (Democratic or Independent) member of Congress with the appropriate clearance, or perhaps a future administration, would be preferable though.

Until I get that, though, I don't see any reason to believe a demented shitgibbon who has lied some 13,000 times already or anyone whose political fortunes are tied to his Presidency. That rules out every elected or appointed Republican.

EDIT: I am actually legitimately curious why you all are taking his statement at face value, though.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 12:33:00 pm by Trekkin »
Pages: 1 ... 2207 2208 [2209] 2210 2211 ... 3515