Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 393

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2952428 times)

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5745 on: January 09, 2024, 06:45:51 pm »

I would suspect the support for the parameter definition hasn't been removed as I don't see any immediate reason for why it would be affected, but I don't know.
I'm guessing these parameters are how PerfectWorldDF does its thing, which does work with v50+.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 09:14:21 pm by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5746 on: January 11, 2024, 11:23:59 pm »

Is saving in adventurer mode gonna gain the same options as in fort mode? Such as to save and continue playing or save to a new timeline.

Do you think there's any current features that might not make the initial adventurer mode release? Like the camp building mentioned on Blind's steam.

Are the controls also going to be designed around WASD?
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

uristmctinkerer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5747 on: January 12, 2024, 08:13:00 am »

Any chance we will have key shortcuts such as "q", "+" and "-" back to fortress mode in the premium version?

Thank you!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5748 on: January 12, 2024, 02:31:52 pm »

Any chance we will have key shortcuts such as "q", "+" and "-" back to fortress mode in the premium version?

Thank you!

Are you asking for the return of a keyboard cursor, basically?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Vanzetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5749 on: January 12, 2024, 04:11:08 pm »

How hard would it be to make the motion graphics of DF more smooth, interpolating the movement of creature sprites between squares instead of jumping discreetly from one position to the next? Rimworld style, basically.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5750 on: January 14, 2024, 06:32:25 pm »

How hard would it be to make the motion graphics of DF more smooth, interpolating the movement of creature sprites between squares instead of jumping discreetly from one position to the next? Rimworld style, basically.

The problems here are mostly that:

1. Movement can be interrupted
2. Movement is often faster than the game's frames per second; I like to play the game at 1000 FPS, and at that speed, units move ~1.6 tiles per frame, meaning that ~60% of the time you'll see dwarves move two tiles in a frame

The only really reasonable way to do it is to do a lerp of the sprite's position offset between their current and target destinations based on how far they are into their movement, which, yeah, doable, but might result in really weird visuals, snapbacks and things.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #5751 on: January 15, 2024, 06:19:08 am »

@putnam I don't think most people play at 1000 FPS, but even if we consider the lesser ideal of 100 FPS (the usual max speed), Dwarf Fortress units move fast compared to e.g. Rimworld ones, so they'd be zipping around a lot. It might get less readable? And the interruption issues of course.

uristmctinkerer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5752 on: January 15, 2024, 08:04:41 am »

The only really reasonable way to do it is to do a lerp of the sprite's position offset between their current and target destinations based on how far they are into their movement, which, yeah, doable, but might result in really weird visuals, snapbacks and things.

Not only that, there's a reason why rimworld units don't have legs. Simple interpolating the current sprites will look very weird and will require additional animations (at least something like the steps animation from keeperrl). And lerping the sprite's position between current and target destinations is not that straightforward, you need to chain all the different movements otherwise you will get the sprite in the wrong location if the unit is doing a 90 degrees turn for example.

I personally prefer the game the way it is now and I'd be happy if Putnam and Toad are working on other stuff like UI improvements (searches pls!) or expanding the game. Just my 2c

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5753 on: January 16, 2024, 08:15:22 am »

Before the premium version, we could change which font to use for the ASCII graphics by changing the font name in the FONT tag in init.txt. In addition to changing the images used for the ASCII graphics, this would also cause map cells to be rendered with the aspect ratio of the font.

In the premium version, changing the font in the FONT tag still changes the images used for ASCII graphics, but the aspect ratio for map cells remains the same as that of the default font.

Will this feature - the font aspect ratio driving the display aspect ratio - be making a comeback?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5754 on: January 16, 2024, 07:33:05 pm »

Will this feature - the font aspect ratio driving the display aspect ratio - be making a comeback?
It still does that in ASCII mode -- use a square set and you get square tiles -- but how would that even work in graphics mode? What would you expect to happen to the graphics tiles, would they get squished or stretched?

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5755 on: January 16, 2024, 10:15:05 pm »

Changing the font to anything other than 8x12 or 10x12 in ASCII mode in 0.50.x has significant problems.  16x16 *kind of* works, but only full screen and breaks if you scale it in certain ways.  Other ratios flat out don't work.  Either visual layout is broken or the mouse clicking doesn't work any more, or both.  I *think* Tarn is aware of this and has said that he wants to fix it sometime.

In graphics mode, it will never come up since the tiles work significantly differently.  If I get time, I'm actually going to make a graphics set composed entirely of ASCII glyphs with the character centered in the tile.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5756 on: January 22, 2024, 01:44:35 am »

The main problems are actually related to how I did stuff in the SDL2 update--the way SDL2 does things you have to give an explicit height and width to every texture you blit to the screen, so for the sake of expediently making sure the game's, y'know, playable on large resolutions, I just sorta made the decision that ASCII is going to scale assuming the original textures are 8x12 and graphics scale assuming the originals are 32x32. This shouldn't be terribly difficult to fix.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5757 on: January 25, 2024, 04:39:34 am »

Regarding the recent Steam announcement:  will demigod players be able to select which deity is their divine parent, during character creation?  Also, assuming that “demigod” here is used to refer to the child of a deity and a non-deity, will they also be assigned a non-deity parent?

Also, what about elves?  Will they no longer be able to be demigods (or will it be possible for a “force” to be a demigod parent)?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #5758 on: January 25, 2024, 05:11:23 am »

Getting a chunk of myth stuff is super exciting, however finalized it turns out it, it really is a sign we're entering a new era of feature development, beyond the different kind of goodieness that graphics and reworked UI has and will continue to be.

Tutorialization through deity sounds really fun, though I wonder:
1. In worlds without deities, or civilizations without, how will the demigod tutorial work? Will some other being take that tutor position? Or will it be impossible to play an atheist demigod?
2. Will demigods from goblins/dark fortress civs get guidance from the deified civ leader? Will megabeast-followers get it from their patron roc or dragon? What if this physical deity dies?

Digganob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5759 on: January 25, 2024, 01:04:54 pm »

1. Will the graphics layering system be expanded or made more powerful? For instance, will more conditions for quality like in portraits, or will conditions for other layers existing/not existing be added to the regular, small-scale sprites?

2. Will a rework of the combat system, or at least the information displayed, be done at any point soon? A lot of things are somewhat confusing, like how "squareness" affects armor penetration and damage, what the chances of penetration and dismemberment are to begin with, how much skill affects things like dodging, parrying, chance to hit, etc. I think that clarity is more important than actual changes, especially considering the newer players.
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 393