Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should I double the boosted mana Madness Enhancement gives while I'm doubling normal servant mana?

Probably a good idea.
- 1 (16.7%)
Not really necessary.
- 2 (33.3%)
I don't play Berserker so I don't really have an opinion.
- 3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41

Author Topic: Fate/Mechanics Test (Mechanics Test for a new system for Fate style games)  (Read 32618 times)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Rrrrrrgh, HAVE A TASTE!"
Use the debuffing Baba's Brew on enemy
(also, forgot to keep track: Cabin officially at 30-40 mana now, I don't know if it would have gained 10 on turn 1)

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile

NP and attack, Mana/Physical Integrity is a 1:1 ratio, right?
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

1. Yes, Mana to regen PI is at the moment 1:1.
2. Can’t use NP and attack on the same turn since they both use an action.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

Ok, I have two papers due this Friday, so I'm just going to delay turns until this weekend. Apologies for the delay so soon after getting back, but getting my work done takes priority.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

just attack, then
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

Irine (Mana to PI, 110, 150)

Irine Gains 10 Mana (Now 120)
?.?.? Loses 30 PI (Now 270)
Irine Loses 50 Mana (Now 70)
?.?.? Strength Check: 6 (Success), 15 (Crit Success), Remainder 4 vs 8 (Failure)
?.?.? Agility Check: 3 (Success), 2 (Crit Success) (1.5x), Remainder 36 vs 13 (Failure)
Damage Check: 8 (Success), 11 (Crit Success), Remainder 6 vs 4 (Success), 7 (Crit Success), Remainder 3
Irine Loses 19 PI (Mana Now 70, PI Now 106)

"Just. Leave. Me. Alone! Firestorm!" Irine shouted as she unleashed her last chance attack, summoning her noble phantasm directly on top of herself and her opponent. While at the moment, it was just a simple flame spiral, it would grow into an inferno… if she could survive that long.

Neither the fire nor the pull of the spiral seemed to be effecting the shadow servant yet, in fact he seemed to be keeping up his momentum from the chase. However, the effects of the flame dance seemed to be working, burning at his legs. Perhaps as a response to the pain, or perhaps just due to his gaining speed, the figure’s sword swings seemed to increase in speed, slamming into Irine like she was standing still.

Thankfully it was only the flat of the blade that hit her, but it would still be a nasty bruise if she didn’t heal it up.

Nuada (Mana to PI, 175, 150)

Nuada Agility Check: 7 (Success), 14 (No Crit), Remainder 13 vs 13 (Success), 18 (Crit Success), Remainder 9
?.?.? Agility Check: 4 (Success), 8 (Crit Success), Remainder 25 vs 6 (Success), 10 (Crit Success), Remainder 4
Damage Check: 15 (Success), 17 (No Crit), Remainder 14 vs 1 (Success), 20 (No Crit), Remainder 13
Nuada Loses 25 PI (Mana Now 175, PI Now 125)

Nuada charged at the enemy swordsman, his weapon drawn high… only for his opponent to parry his strike and reply with a stab of his own, his glowing red blade stabbing into the tuatha’s side, the heat of the attack cauterizing the wound as soon as its dealt, but leaving a burn wound in its place.

Doc (Mana to PI, 137, 150)

Doc Luck Check: 12 (Success), 19 (No Crit)
Doc Agility Check: 9 (Success), 19 (No Crit), Remainder 11 vs 15 (Success), 15 (Crit Success), Remainder 11
?.?.? Agility Check: 11 (Success), 2 (Crit Success), Remainder 25 vs 20 (Failure)
Damage Check: 19 (Success), 13 (No Crit), Remainder 6 vs 1 (Success), 15 (No Crit), Remainder 6
Doc Loses 25 PI (Mana Now 137, PI Now 125)

Realizing he didn’t have any chance to get farther away from the shadow servant, Doc instead moved into close range combat, feinting a shotgun blast, only to instead stab at the opponent with his knife.

However, his opponent was still too fast for him, dodging out of the way of the knife by dropping to his knees and counter attacking with a slash to Holliday’s leg, before springing back up.The wound burned with the heat from the blades, but at least it wasn’t bleeding.

Baba Yaga (Mana to PI, 162, 150) (Cabin Mana 30)

Baba Yaga Loses 10 Mana (Now 152)
Baba Yaga Mana Check: 11 (Success), 12 (Crit Success), Remainder 2 vs 5 (Success), 15 (Critical Success), Remainder 9
?.?.? Agility Check: 20 (Success), 18 (No Crit), Remainder 17 vs 19 (Failure)
Damage Check: 11 (Success), 3 (Crit Success), Remainder 11 vs 19 (Failure)
Baba Yaga Loses 50 PI (Mana Now 152, PI Now 100)

"Rrrrrrgh, HAVE A TASTE!" Yaga shouted, as she splashed the contents of her mortar over the shadow servant who took up a defensive stance, blocking his face with his arms as the noxious mixture hit his form. For a moment it simply dripped from him, soaking his body in the sickening scent before it began… smoking.

As Yaga watched, her mixture combusted, filling the area with foul smoke until it was finally reduced to nothing but ashes, which the swordsman shook off. As the smoke cleared, Yaga could see that the glow of the swords had become more yellowish, and the swordsman’s steps seemed heavier than before. Nonetheless, when he charged at her, she was too shocked by her spell’s failure to dodge, instead taking a, thankfully no longer red hot, blade right to the torso.

Irine: Mana 70, PI 106, ?.?.?: Mana ?, PI 270
Nuada: Mana 175, PI 125, ?.?.?: Mana ?, PI 300
Doc: Mana 137, PI 125, ?.?.?: Mana ?, PI 300
Yaga: Mana 152, PI 100, ?.?.?: Mana ?, PI 300

Figured I needed to get the turn out. Sorry, the weekend after I said "turn this weekend", my paper was extended to Sunday so I ended up spending the weekend on it as well, and the following week, I was either busy at night or, for some reason, generally drained feeling at night. Part of that is due to the fact that we're moving towards finals, so I have a lot of work and studying to do. As a result, I'm going to do what I probably should have done when I saw my schedule getting busier and putting this on hiatus until I finish finals.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile

Stay focused...
Continue Channeling. Continue to use Mana to replace lost PI.
Stay focused...

Irine
current form: Human
Physical Integrity: 106/150
Mana: 70/200
active flames: NP(turn 1)

Spoiler: Irine (click to show/hide)
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

NP.  regen my physical. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 07:32:28 pm by BlackPaladin99 »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

As if making up for the fact his leg wasn't bleeding, Doc goes into a coughing fit spewing blood from his mouth.

"Close quarters *cough* ain't good for my TB...ya might want to social distance."
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

Irine (Mana to PI, 26, 150)

Irine Gains 15 Mana (Now 41)
?.?.? Loses 50 PI (Now 250)
?.?.? Strength Check: 17 (Success), 7 (Crit Success), Remainder 1 vs 14 (Failure)
?.?.? Agility Check: 9 (Success), 13 (Crit Success), Remainder 16 vs 17 (Failure)
Damage Check: 6 (Success), 9 (Crit Success), Remainder 10 vs 14 (Failure)
Irine Loses 50 PI (Mana Now 41, PI Now 100)

Irine kept up her focus on her noble phantasm, the building flame spirals working alongside the fire dance she had set up to burn her opponent. While her opponent was able to regenerate their body just like she was, as far as she could tell, they couldn’t regenerate Mana. As long as she could live long enough, she should be able to overpower them.

However, on the topic of survival… as much as her flames were burning the shadowy figure, they weren’t slowing them down, as the enemy was agile enough to move through her maze of flames and strong enough to resist the pull of her fire vortex. Even as it picked up steam, they were still able to swipe at her chest with both blades, leaving more nasty cuts.

Nuada (Mana to PI, 150, 150)

Nuada Loses 50 Mana (Now 100)
?.?.? Agility Check: 17 (Success), 5 (Crit Success), Remainder 15 vs 9 (Success), 4 (Crit Success), Remainder 15 (Coin Flip: Heads)

Recognizing the danger of his opponent, Nuada prepared to go all out. Once more, he focused his mana into his sword arm, causing it and his blade to begin glowing, and the familiar green runes to glow across their surface. The world around him slowed as his perception sharpened, and the strength of his arm rose.

The shadow servant, reacting to what it likely presumed to be Nuada charging up a powerful attack, charged at him, twin swords swinging in the shape of an X, but this time, Nuada was fast enough to catch the blades, parrying the strike with his own sword, forcing the shadowy figure to jump back.

Doc (Mana to PI, 112, 150)

Doc Luck Check: 16 (Success), 10 (No Crit)
Doc Agility Check: 17 (Success), 1 (Crit Success), Remainder 2 vs 5 (Success), 15 (Crit Success), Remainder 21
?.?.? Agility Check: 14 (Success), 6 (Crit Success), Remainder 17 vs 17 (Success), 5 (No Crit).
Damage Check: 4 (Success), 20 (Crit Success), Remainder 1 vs 14 (Failure)
Doc Loses 50 PI (Mana Now 112, PI Now 100)

"Close quarters *cough* ain't good for my TB” Doc said, coughing up blood “...ya might want to social distance."

If the shadow servant understood what Doc had said, they didn’t react, only moving their swords to block a few shots from Doc, before dashing forward again to deliver a pair of slashes to the man’s chest, with the blazing hot blades burning his clothes and skin where they slashed.

Irine: Mana 41, PI 100, ?.?.?: Mana ?, PI 250
Nuada: Mana 100, PI 150, ?.?.?: Mana ?, PI 300
Doc: Mana 112, PI 100, ?.?.?: Mana ?, PI 300
Yaga: Mana 152, PI 100, ?.?.?: Mana ?, PI 300

Oh hey, would you look at that, finals are over...

But seriously, sorry for not getting back to this sooner. I forgot how busy my summers can be. I've been studying for LSATs, researching potential internships, and working a summer job, along with various free time activities, such as falling down the TotK rabbit hole for a bit, and some work on stuff for this game, such as extra classes, and a variety of other things that had kept me busy. I actually had intended for this turn to come out last Saturday, but getting back into the swing of things proved harder than I thought, and I got wrapped up with other stuff, leading into the week where I was studying during the day and either working at night or doing other stuff, and here we finally are. I actually have some plans to run some PVP of this once Extra classes and some other stuff are fully worked out, to give you all a chance to try something new if you want to, and as I think it might be a bit more entertaining. I'm not going to promise that this is going back on a regular schedule just yet, since I'm still busy, but I will at least try to do stuff.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 12:15:22 pm by Smoke Mirrors »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Only. One. Option.
Continue Channeling. Continue to use Mana to replace lost PI.
Stay focused...

Irine
current form: Human
Physical Integrity: 100/150
Mana: 41/200
active flames: NP(turn 2)

Spoiler: Irine (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 06:10:10 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

I think this test proved the point that someone with much higher stats is always going to win, since it is impossible for us to hit them and if we did hit it is impossible to do damage :V

You gave him agility that is higher than A rank didn't you? Is it even possible to hit him? It is kinda hard to tell the odds when I forget how the system even works and you keep changing it but even minmaxed Agility Doc against -6 (or was it 9?) out of d20 was lopsided toward the Shadow Servant.

So if I get the dice right, in the last round:

Shadow Servant rolled a 5, then rolled on (20-5) and succeeded on a 15 so he's got A++ Agility.

An A rank Servant's math works out:

At least 1 Success: 10/20
At least 2 Success: 10/20*(1/20*9/20+1/20*8/20+1/20*7/20+1/20*6/20+1/20*5/20+1/20*4/20+1/20*3/20+1/20*2/20+1/20*1/20) = ~5.6%

Which doesn't seem to be what you're using anymore since Doc succeeded on a 17 :V. But anyway

A++ rank Servant's math works out:

At Least 1 Success: 20/20 (100%)
At Least 2 Success: (1/20*19/20+1/20*18/20+1/20*17/20+1/20*16/20+1/20*15/20+1/20*14/20+1/20*13/20+1/20*12/20+1/20*11/20+1/20*10/20+1/20*9/20+1/20*8/20+1/20*7/20+1/20*6/20+1/20*5/20+1/20*4/20+1/20*3/20+1/20*2/20+1/20*1/20)= 47.5% (Basically since it is "Roll two d20 and if the second one is lower it is a crit, we should expect it to be around 50%)

So the problem here is that guy one in the example can't realistically get a hit in, in the most realistic example A++ servant would get 1 success and A servant gets two we're looking at a 3% chance to hit, with the same chance to dodge the enemies hit. In other words they're completely mechanically invincible.

Likewise a 15 stat works out:

At Least 1 Success: 15/20
At Least 2 Success: 15/20(1/20*14/20+1/20*13/20+1/20*12/20+1/20*11/20+1/20*10/20+1/20*9/20+1/20*8/20+1/20*7/20+1/20*6/20+1/20*5/20+1/20*4/20+1/20*3/20+1/20*2/20+1/20*1/20)= ~19.68%

The math for 15 and 20 stats can easily go into further successes using the same math, but I don't feel like doing that for this demonstration :V. This likewise can't do anything against the 20 stat, while it has a more realistic chance of hitting you're still looking at around 10% hit rate for the little guy and a 90% dodge rate for the big guy.

5 points is pretty insurmountable on a d20 system :V
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

So, yes I need to consolidate all the changes better, plan was to do that after the solo fight rounds but I might as well just change it sooner to better be kept track of, but regardless
You guys are Rank 3, so your stats go, from E to A, 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, while the opponent for this round is, as stated, Rank 4, so his stats would go, from E to A, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25. A + to a stats is always 1.5x and a ++ is 2x, and a Rank 4 gets one free + to put on any stat, which this guy has on Agility, giving him 37 Agility, (25 x 1.5 = 37.5, rounded down), ignoring skills.

While in general, the intent was for this round to be a loss, as a Rank 4 enemy is intended to be fought only on a number's advantage, with my plan for the greater number of actions on your side to make up for the divide in stats, this round has basically shown that such high levels of agility go a bit too far, as the ability to dodge and completely ignore damage is perhaps too powerful in combat, compared to endurance, which can only reduce damage to 1/4 even on a crit success, while A+ strength has become kind of useless for enemies in combat, given a crit on strength doesn't add damage unless it's low enough, which is all on luck.

Unfortunately, I work tonight, and I'm writing this as I prepare to go to work, so I don't have the time to work out how to fix that, though I've currently just been changing the enemy Rank 4s who I have a + to Agility for to something else, but I will be working on what can be done to fix it.

(Honestly, I can actually see a definite way this round would work if it was the 4 of you versus this guy, with all of you defending Irine, who would get her sure hit damage in, but that would just have the issue of a fight like this having to focus on defending only 1 unit who can do anything, which is a different issue.)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I myself am personally forfeiting. While Baba Yaga is more combat capable than a pure support Caster, she is still a support Caster, and the majority of her abilities are intended to be prepared or utilized in advance.

That being said, I do also acknowledge that Baba Yaga is a fairly outdated sheet, that has received very little adjustment to account for the systems improvements. So the blame for my failure, or at least the intensity of it, does partly fall on me.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Minor flavor error in turn btw, you mention a swipe at Irine's tails, but she's in human form, meaning she doesn't have her tails at the moment. In a test like this it means literally nothing, just figured I'd mention it.))
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41