Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 715525 times)

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #4905 on: August 20, 2012, 04:51:53 pm »

I really doubt most absolutists would fall into line with that sort of comment. It's one thing to be against abortion, but something else entirely to blame a victim.
Blaming victims is something that goes on all the damn time.
"Fucking lazy welfare bums"
"Fucking fatass disability leeches"
"Fucking ghetto crack-whore babymommas"

It's all about finding a convenient fiction to remedy the cognitive dissonance that comes of having your worldview run into those irksome gray areas where what you hold to be a universal truth might wind up making you out to be an asshole. It's the same reason that soldiers in ANY conflict will dehumanize the enemy.

This is the truth. The cognitive bias concerned is called the just-world fallacy, for anyone who might be interested.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4906 on: August 20, 2012, 05:01:53 pm »

It is not only a women's rights concern but a very real public health concern.
This, of course, is the logical disconnect. Anti-abortionists see abortion as exactly the same as braining a toddler with a rock, which makes it impossible to comprehend why someone would call it a women's rights issue (after all, men aren't legally entitled to murder babies either.) Likewise, those who don't see it as murder (on the grounds that it isn't a human until after birth) have difficulty comprehending it as anything but a rights issue.

As for "on a whim", I was meaning an abortion taking place with no counseling, no "take some time to think about it," and no "shouldn't you explore other options before doing something irreversible?" Opposition to late-term abortions (an extremely thorny issue itself, considering the degree to which preemie survivablity rates have jumped) isn't part of that.

It may be that the lockstep for Democrats is looser than that of the Democrats on social issues, but I'm not convinced of it. Pretty much every major issue has partisans on both sides, but that doesn't change the party line or what national candidates can get away with while keeping the faithful.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4907 on: August 20, 2012, 05:14:50 pm »

Two words. Robert Winston.

If you medically raped him and he got pregnant, he must have wanted it. Would he be a hyprocrate and abort to save his life, or would he carry the baby to term?
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #4908 on: August 20, 2012, 05:35:54 pm »

I once read that a large part of the republican agenda is to punish women for having sex.

I have seen nothing to disprove that.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4909 on: August 20, 2012, 05:57:33 pm »

Let's not confuse the in-/direct consequences of their viewpoints with their agenda, now.

Two words. Robert Winston.

If you medically raped him and he got pregnant, he must have wanted it. Would he be a hyprocrate and abort to save his life, or would he carry the baby to term?

...What?
Love, scriver~

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4910 on: August 20, 2012, 05:58:13 pm »

I once read that a large part of the republican agenda is to punish women for having sex.

No they are perfectly fine with sex. Its birth control and abortion they hate. And at one point there were even protests against the use of condoms.

Its pretty simple, they despise people for trying not to have children.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4911 on: August 20, 2012, 06:02:58 pm »

No they are perfectly fine with sex. Its birth control and abortion they hate. And at one point there were even protests against the use of condoms.

But aren't Republicans big proponents of abstinence-only sex education? That's practically the opposite of being fine with sex.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4912 on: August 20, 2012, 06:07:07 pm »

But aren't Republicans big proponents of abstinence-only sex education? That's practically the opposite of being fine with sex.

That's because of the push from the left for sex education. Instead of telling kids "if you're going to have sex, do it safely and wear a condom so you don't ruin your life", Republicans would prefer "Just don't have sex until you're ready to have a kid."

What they refuse to acknowledge is that, for a large segment of the non-religious teen population (and even portions of the religious teen population) that doesn't work. Has it had an effect on their thinking? Absolutely not. They'd rather have kids remain ignorant and uninformed (and getting pregnant) than informed and not getting pregnant. They argue that teaching kids about safe sex results in more sex. Which just goes to show how far out of touch ideology is with reality on the ground. Fuckin' is gonna happen one way or another, it's just a matter of how much information you give them before they choose to do it anyways.

And it's at least partly due to the Catholic roots of Conservative Republican ideology, where wearing a condom is considered on the same level as abortion. That doesn't reflect the majority of Republican beliefs about sex, but it underpins them.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 06:10:26 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4913 on: August 20, 2012, 06:09:41 pm »

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree that part of the republican agenda is pushing "sex is evil!" Though TBH it's a bit bi-partisan; both sides go all "think of the children" when it comes to censorship of sexual content.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4914 on: August 20, 2012, 06:14:20 pm »

I had the great displeasure of having a conversation with a man who pretty well elucidated the bald-faced standards at the heart of this ideology.  It is perfectly normal, if not actually virtuous, for all men to want to have sex with any women all the time, the virtue part being not acting on it.  It is utterly immoral for women to so much as think about sex at any time, and should only have sex with their husband so he doesn't go crazy.  Any deviation from this pattern is ultimately the woman's fault for wanting it in the first place on some level and therefor not doing enough to stop it from happening, up to and including rape.  And because all (human) life is sacred and God always finds a way if you deserve it, and there is no such thing as medical complications (because any doctor who says there is just hates life) carrying the pregnancy is always the only real option.

That's certainly an absolutist position that would frighten many conservative people when you fully elucidate it like that, but when you start poking people for what they actually hold true, you find out lots of people really do hold absolutist positions.  They just don't realize it because they've never had a reason to voice out loud everything they believe about one subject and follow through all the implications.

What they refuse to acknowledge is that, for a large segment of the non-religious teen population (and even portions of the religious teen population) that doesn't work. Has it had an effect on their thinking? Absolutely not. They'd rather have kids remain ignorant and uninformed (and getting pregnant) than informed and not getting pregnant. They argue that teaching kids about safe sex results in more sex.

Actually, ever statistical analysis taken of the results of different sex-education curriculum over the last fifteen years or so has shown that people who get abstinence-only education are considerably more likely have pre-marital sex and higher rates of teen pregnancy.  I'm willing to grant that it's probably not a 1:1 correlation, abstinence-only attitudes are most common in low-income areas where teen-pregnancy and such would be more common regardless.  But yeah, it's hideously short-sighted and almost effortless to disprove.  Try to do so with one of its proponents, and you'll get an answer with some variant of, "Well it doesn't matter how bad every other parent in the world is, my kid's going to grow up right like I did(n't)."
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 06:19:08 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4915 on: August 20, 2012, 06:17:59 pm »

...What?
Citation Needed.
Phone copypasta sucks. This was all entered in manually. I hope you appreciate the efforts I went through. Or at least laughed, because I wasn't serious. Unless you got access to a fertilized egg and a dart gun.

That's-when-things-got-out-of-con-trol!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 06:24:57 pm by Kogan Loloklam »
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4916 on: August 20, 2012, 06:18:06 pm »

"Being fine with sex"

Only between a man and woman.
Who are married.
To each other.
For the sole purpose of procreation.
In the privacy of their own bedroom.
In the missionary position.
With the lights out.
After this one I usually veer into humor because shits already gotten absurd.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4917 on: August 20, 2012, 06:19:18 pm »

...What?
Citation Needed.
Phone copypasta sucks. This was all entered in manually. I hope you appreciate the efforts I went through. Or at least laughed, because I wasn't serious. Unless you got access to a fertilized egg and a dart gun.

That's-when-things-got-out-of-con-trol!

Link doesn't work for me :\

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4918 on: August 20, 2012, 06:20:06 pm »

"Being fine with sex"

Only between a man and woman.
Who are married.
To each other.
For the sole purpose of procreation.
In the privacy of their own bedroom.
In the missionary position.
With the lights out.
After this one I usually veer into humor because shits already gotten absurd.
Blindfolded, with as much clothing as possible, through a hole in the sheet.
Alright, I'll stop :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4919 on: August 20, 2012, 06:21:10 pm »

I really doubt most absolutists would fall into line with that sort of comment. It's one thing to be against abortion, but something else entirely to blame a victim.
I'd say there are two camps of anti-abortion absolutists who this could put off.

The first aren't victim blamers but believe that abortion is never allowable, even in cases of rape. Romney is having to distance himself from this position immediately after selecting a VP candidate who holds it. Call this the Ryan position.

The second are those who genuinely believe what Akin said. There are whole organisations - of physicians no less - who actively spread this idea. The fact that it's getting a very public airing and debunking should hopefully reduce this category, but from experience it's not going to eliminate it.

The latest polling on this shows ~17% of the nation being flat opposed to abortion with absolutely no exceptions. That's a not insignificant chunk of the population who the Republican party are dedicated to courting. The Democrats can never win them over but they don't have to turn out.

As I said, I feel this could flatten out any positive effects that Ryan might have brought the ticket. Obama was already ready to make abortion an active issue and letting the absolutist anti-abortion position take the spotlight - when the Republican candidate can't benefit from it because he is running the other way - is not a bad plan. Anyone who is vaguely pro-choice is going to be pushed towards the Democratic default, which is basically just 'don't overturn Roe v. Wade'.
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 714