Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 73

Author Topic: The Cataclysm games thread.  (Read 104431 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: The Cataclysm games thread.
« Reply #405 on: October 06, 2021, 08:53:14 pm »

I remember seeing a post on reddit about this, the gifs showing some of the visuals looked neat, but I think it was p obvious it'd get slapped down as soon as it got any sort of traction. It is basically selling a game for free with the only real benefit being a probably prettier game.

...kinda sounds a lot like Steam.  And I'm truly not trying to be snarky about...you know...that thing.  ::)

Uh, anyways the difference is that in those other examples, the actual people developing the game are "in" on it.

Unlike CDDA steam, which is straight up Plagiarism/Copyright Infringement/etc.  Not even the "fun and merry" piratzy.  Nah, this is stone cold Disney theft.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 07, 2021, 07:25:44 am »

Well, cdda on steam might be completely legal, but even setting aside the question of morality I would not trust the code that was put on steam to be harvesting user data or doing anything else that might be shady. Just suspicious as all get out behavior.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 11, 2021, 07:23:10 am »

Yikes.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 11, 2021, 08:02:26 am »

Well, cdda on steam might be completely legal, but even setting aside the question of morality I would not trust the code that was put on steam to be harvesting user data or doing anything else that might be shady. Just suspicious as all get out behavior.

While I originally dismissed this as alarmist, considering that CDDA unpacks tons of folders and files upon install, there is plenty of room in that package to hide other nefarious things.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 14, 2021, 01:21:32 am »

Meanwhile in Bright Nights, I've finally started to eyeball some personal pet peeve bugs in how Korg's spellcasting and relic code works, and was able to find two trivial mistakes to fix:
1. Fix for spells being stopped by fences are other obstacles that conventional ranged attacks pass right through. Bit of a mess at first because the different types of spell attack shapes had like three entirely different ways to check for and parse passable vs. impassible terrain, but I got it working.
2. Fix hit_you_effect relic spells triggering even when you miss, unlike hit_me_effect spells which only trigger when you attack take hits. Strikes me as another "obviously untested" thing but the code handling is ALSO inconsistent in wacky ways. Both hit-monster and hit-player functions were dumped into the ass end of melee attack function. But while the hit-player effect has a fancy if statement that does fucked-if-I-know-what and somehow makes it so hit-player spells trigger correctly despite being in a bad location in the function, meanwhile for hit-player effects it's just "call this function lol" so of course since it happens AFTER the game handles what occurs when you actually hit an enemy, it was triggering with every attack.

Even when the code fixes are trivial (and that's by my standards, I suck at C++) it feels like I'm sifting through a drunken mess of spaghetti, which to be fair code for a game this old basically is spaghetti. But every time I poke at the relatively newer magic code I start having conniptions.

Still more stuff I oughta tinker with, weh.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 20, 2021, 05:58:47 pm »

Eh, I didn't terribly have much trouble with it (this diff doesn't include the hour or so I spent trying to find where the hell the message is sent in the first place), but then I'm way more experienced at navigating spaghetti.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 20, 2021, 09:57:25 pm »

I just stick to JSON tweak PRs. Plenty of stuff to do on that front. I know my spaghetti code wouldn't be accepted by anyone anyways.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 21, 2021, 09:06:33 pm »

I'm definitely not good with C++ either to be honest, yeah.

In the meantime, more Arcana stuff to tinker with, and more improvements to BN. Olanti's also eyeballing porting over bridge behavior from DDA, side effect will likely be making z-levels mandatory unless he comes up with a way to mimic the benefits without needing z-levels to be on.

On the other hand, I'm of the opinion that z-levels should've been made mandatory when helicopters got added, because last I checked they flat-out don't work without z-levels enabled. Helicopters as are kinda the unloved stepchild in DDA admittedly, as far as game mechanics go.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 22, 2021, 03:21:52 am »

I thought the reason most people didn't use helicopters is because you needed to get the profession with the special trait at character creation, hard to find fuel that runs out quickly, hoping you find one that works which is hard since most spawn broken and you can't repair the parts that matter, and how you can't customize them.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 22, 2021, 12:13:56 pm »

All of the above, yeah. Fairly certain all of that has been fixed and/or is being fixed in BN, too.

And when I say unloved stepchild I mean from a development standpoint, they've done rather little sanity-checking and bug-fixing on them in DDA and a few PRs actively messed with the ability to mod them to not suck. Only person who really gave a shit about the feature among the devs was the person who coded the feature, who I recall got "encouragement" from Kevin in the form of "this is unrealistic as hell and will be a feature almost no players will ever see, but we won't stop you from working on it I guess"
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 23, 2021, 01:02:22 am »

Kinda bothered by the way crashing one at max speed didn't cause any injuries last time I tried it out. Very odd. Maybe seatbelts are just that good.

Also, hey, now, CDDA making z-levels mandatory seems to have caused much wailing and gnashing of teeth among the more performance-minded. It does make labs significantly slower--like, I profiled it, labs are hilariously slow due to the sheer amount of mobs processing on every Z in them. There's probably ways to schedule mobs so that that doesn't happen (perhaps if a mob hasn't noticed anything in a while, it goes totally inert, only reactivating when "pinged" by another mob seeing it, loud noise etc?)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 23, 2021, 03:55:03 am »

I really wish there was a way to keep zombies in labs or in basements from hearing what you're doing while you're still on the surface walking past.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 23, 2021, 04:50:55 am »

I really hope CBN will not make Z levels mandatory and will keep them optional. Performance is one of the reasons i moved to CBN and unless someone one day find a way to make z-levels being as fast as no z-levels, i'll play without them.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 08:58:56 am by Robsoie »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 23, 2021, 10:18:20 am »

Right now it looks like Olanti's leaning towards trying to rig it so that z-level bridges only generate if z-levels setting is on, and possibly moving it to an external option that can be messed with by mods. Also been some chatter about trying to see if there's some easy ways to make z-levels a bit less performance-heavy, but not sure how easy that'd be.

Still, like I said, z-levels are already functionally essential for certain features so it's kinda weird that DDA neglected to make them mandatory sooner.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 23, 2021, 08:08:27 pm »

Maybe they can take the bubble theory and limit it to Z-levels one up and down of the player, so not everything needs to be simulated.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 73