Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 462

Author Topic: Fallout 4: It Just Works  (Read 804522 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 4: Basically WH40K
« Reply #3870 on: November 20, 2015, 03:48:21 pm »

Mm, that's definitely where it paid off the most. Dialogue doesn't always mesh with your character, plot-relate stuff especially, but all the little comments are a nice touch, both for the PC and for companions (when they don't repeat themselves too much, anyways--apparently half of the wasteland is the worst place MacCready ever smelled).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: November 20, 2015, 04:50:47 pm »

i had one goal in this game. ONE.

to collect the wastelands biggest stack of radaway.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Disregard this however, if you wish to collect them legit, or is playing the game on a console.

you can omit leading zeroes

You can, but it's a good practice with HEX numbers, for that time where your first digit is a letter.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3872 on: November 20, 2015, 05:11:23 pm »

i had one goal in this game. ONE.

to collect the wastelands biggest stack of radaway.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Disregard this however, if you wish to collect them legit, or is playing the game on a console.

you can omit leading zeroes

You can, but it's a good practice with HEX numbers, for that time where your first digit is a letter.
I remember the times when I still wrote all those zeroes before f when I wanted me some some Septims.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: November 20, 2015, 05:20:12 pm »

so, i just met a chinese capitain, and he is having a skull on his captains hat.
cmon... china aint fucking nazi germany, and sea captains arent ss officers.
stupid americans. need to bloody propagandize EVERYTHING.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3874 on: November 20, 2015, 05:27:50 pm »

so, i just met a chinese capitain, and he is having a skull on his captains hat.
cmon... china aint fucking nazi germany, and sea captains arent ss officers.
stupid americans. need to bloody propagandize EVERYTHING.
This seems really fucking out of line considering you're playing an alternate history where China was a pretty big threat. So sorry you don't agree with the fiction though, feel free to blame all your other problems on a nationality too.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3875 on: November 20, 2015, 05:30:40 pm »

But skulls on hats are fucking cool.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: November 20, 2015, 05:32:45 pm »

Also you're playing in a post-apocalyptic society so the skull might just be for the intimidation factor.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #3877 on: November 20, 2015, 05:46:11 pm »

I tend to deliberately go out exploring/questing on relatively minimal supplies, leaving everything else at the homebase in Sanctuary Hills. Like, take what seems reasonable for why I'm venturing out. So I have a set weapon loadout that I can conceive wearing (Pistol on one side, melee on other, combat shotgun or combat rifle on back at waist, sniper rifle on back over shoulder), and with limited chem supplies (usually a few stimpacks, a Rad-X (but never Radaway), and a hit of jet and a hit of med-x).

Couple that with survival difficulty seems to keep some challenge. Most enemies can still wreck me if caught unaware (Level 20 and I've still died to Bloatflies!).

Personally I think the Open World RPG plot should take more queues from Morrowind's opening. None of that cinematic crap, it just went "Here's some money and a dagger, if you want to Main Quest go talk to this guy" and when you talked to him he was just all "No seriously you're still level one, go explore the world for a bit!". More Open World games should do that, have discrete "Go immerse yourself in the world, come back when you're ready" points in the Main Quest to encourage you to explore.

Fallout 1 and 2 had similar "We need to find a thing" plots, but the 'thing' was an actual thing where you didn't really have any solid leads or quest markers to go by, so it would encourage lots of exploration and questing. Fallout 3 and 4 have the problem of the 'thing' being a person to try and force the players to feel a personal connection, but that connection is detrimental to the whole "explore the world" part of the games.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 06:04:25 am by MorleyDev »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: November 20, 2015, 05:47:45 pm »

Why, why, does everyone not know discreet v. discrete?

Sorry, but this gets on my nerves...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #3879 on: November 20, 2015, 05:50:23 pm »

discrete: individually separate and distinct. That's what I meant, separate and distinct points in the quest where it gets put on hold to allow you to explore, not "discreet: intentionally unobtrusive". Though I guess those moments could be both if well-done :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 05:53:51 pm by MorleyDev »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3880 on: November 20, 2015, 05:52:18 pm »

I was about to say, but ninja'd.

You wouldn't want those points to be discreet, or all the idiots would miss them and complain about the plot moving too fast.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: November 20, 2015, 05:57:30 pm »

discrete: individually separate and distinct. That's what I meant, separate and distinct points in the quest where it gets put on hold to allow you to explore, not "discreet: intentionally unobtrusive". Though I guess those moments could be both if well-done :)
Oh, I see.

Sorry, I've just seen too many people using it wrong to actually catch someone using it right.  ;P
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3882 on: November 20, 2015, 06:02:14 pm »

I had no idea discreet existed, I just assumed it was a typo :/
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: November 20, 2015, 06:05:37 pm »

30 hours and 20 levels in, I finally arrive at Diamond City. Time to find out what all the hubbub is about.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: November 20, 2015, 07:49:19 pm »

Almost level 28 on my all 11s character. Soon I'll be able to nab some X-01 armor WOO.

Also, I decided to murderize the Institute on my first trip. That gave me like 5 levels.
I...might go on more rampages now :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 462