Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 32

Author Topic: BM XXXVII: Welcome to Zombo Mafia - GAME OVER - TOWN VICTORY  (Read 73770 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: BM XXXVII: Welcome to Zombo Mafia - Day 2 - TWO REPLACEMENTS NEEDED!
« Reply #300 on: November 06, 2012, 12:22:08 am »

I've been gone for a little while, but I'll replace in if you would have me, ZU.
I'm not sure how to properly apologise for the last game I was a part of (and thoroughly ruined by leaving), but I still feel bad and I am really sorry.
((Yay! Flandre is back! Let her in! Let her in! Let her in to absolve her leave of any scumminess! :P))

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
Re: BM XXXVII: Welcome to Zombo Mafia - Day 2
« Reply #301 on: November 06, 2012, 01:25:04 am »

Current vote count:

Kingfisher1112:
Captain Ford [1]:  Nabic
Flandre [2]: Scottzar, Captain Ford
Nabic:
scottzar [1]: Flandre
Jim Groovester:
Shakerag:

Not voting: Kingfisher1112, Jim Groovester, Shakerag

Extension requests: 1
Shorten requests: 0

3 votes needed to extend the day
4 votes needed to shorten the day

Day 1 will end Tuesday, November 6 at ~9:00 P.M. PST.

Tomorrow is election day! (in the USA) So Vote. And play. Play mafia.

Flandre is replacing in for Mr.Zero.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 06, 2012, 02:45:39 am »

So, essentially, you're sad that your scumteam theory didn't pan out and that you didn't get the chance to really put Nerjin through the ringer, even though he was actually town.
Partially, but also because out of the three people I had a reason to believe were scum (Mr.Zero, Nerjin and ShoesandHats), 2 have flipped town and that leaves me with a completely unaccounted for second scum who I (at that time) had no leads on.

You should not be mentally creating scumteams as you hunt. The only time you should really consider the possibility that two players are on a scum team is after one scum flips and you can look at previous interactions between that player and other scummy players.

And you should not be annoyed that the scum team killed one of your suspects, you should be overjoyed. They did your work for you and you didn't even have to waste a lynch on them.

Neither of them have really been around long enough to really be questioned. It's hard to get a read on somebody when they've done so little posting.

But it doesn't strike me as scummy. I would think that someone playing scum would put more effort/have more interest in the game.
Captain Ford Throughout the entirety of the game, you've asked kingfisher1112/borno one question. If you didn't have any read on the player, why didn't you ask the replacement any questions? Didn't borno stick around long enough in D1? It looks like you were avoiding them, especially since you didn't ask either replacement a single question.
In your last statement you say what scum "would" do. However, without extenuating circumstances, a lack of activity is generally considered lurking. Why do you think this lack of activity is a town or non-scum read? Wouldn't scum want the least attention?

Explain the reasoning behind this vote more.

He's also kind of annoying in how zealous he think everyone should be in scumhunting, but this does not affect my read on him.
I'd like some clarification about this statement. Do you think people are already scumhunting perfectly fine, and he's pushing them to hunt too hard? Isn't it a good thing for him to promote activity, or am I missing something?

I said none of those things.

I said he was annoying. (Kind of.)

Scottzar's big thing is pressure, and he wants to see everyone apply it to everyone. This is kind of silly since it's unrealistic to think that any single player, much less all players, will have legitimate issues to pressure everyone about, and it's dubiously useful to apply pressure for an issue you don't think is significant or you don't care about. So it's annoying being asked why you're not applying pressure to some player, as if you're sloughing off on your scumhunting just because nothing jumped out at you about a particular player.

Don't get me wrong, pressure's good, and it's good that he wants to see more of it. It's just... annoying.

Flandre, can you speak to why your predecessor used his inexperience as a shield when he really shouldn't have? Because at the time I'm writing this he would have been my top suspect (in a field of weak suspects) had he not been replaced.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Nabic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 06, 2012, 03:47:33 am »

Jim: Basically, it's a pressure vote.
When you have no suspicions on anyone, pick someone at random (I MEAN random.. some use Random.org for this!), take a glance as their past posts, and talk to them, usually with a vote. The goal is not to kill but to learn more about them.  The vote is a "Pressure Vote", simply used to make sure they don't ignore you.
Out of the 4 other players who were not being replaced, I chose him because I've got a weak read at best on him. Additionally, his most recent post and vote felt "off" to me. Although I didn't pick at random, Captain Ford (among others) hasn't been posting much in the way of scumhunting. In D2, he hasn't done anything except argue against an extension, and ask a few questions to Mr.Zero and Scottzar.

Jim, your questioning makes me using a pressure vote in D2 is unusual. Do you think that my saying it's a pressure vote decreases the weight it puts on Captain Ford? Should I even be using a pressure vote in Day 2 if I have no major suspects?

Flandre, What do you think of Mr.Zero's suspicions towards Scottzar? Who do you currently find most suspicious?

Scottzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Water is truly the most dwarven of fluids
    • View Profile
Re: BM XXXVII: Welcome to Zombo Mafia - Day 2 - ONE REPLACEMENT NEEDED!
« Reply #304 on: November 06, 2012, 04:40:14 am »

Extend
Kingfisher still hasn't been replaced, and Flandre needs to post a damn lot (or something really damning) before I can re-evaluate them.

And you should not be annoyed that the scum team killed one of your suspects, you should be overjoyed. They did your work for you and you didn't even have to waste a lynch on them.
I'm spending far too long on this random question, but still.

From an omniscient perspective, you're right. I won't waste time on or even lynch someone who is town because I think they are scum.

From a subjective perspective, I saw a 50/50 chance that he would be scum, and wanted to probe further to increase or decrease the odds. The most favourable outcome is that he is scum, and slips so that I end up helping in a lynch on him/he is lynched. This outcome forces the ratio to 100/0, and like I said before, I have 1 lead in a 2 scum game.

That's really more important than the dissolution of my scum team theories. Kingfisher/Borno reads slightly scummy, but that's mostly just him not posting enough. Shakerag isn't doing much, but he looks town anyway; of course, he's not going to make a slip in such a relaxed setting. I don't really have leads on any others than Flandre.

Flandre: Mr.Zero was very active. Do you think this contributed to his suspiciousness in a positive or negative manner? Will you be similarly active?

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 06, 2012, 12:54:36 pm »

'Being nice' in this case means not attacking him constantly for making basic slips. For example, in the Wild West Mafia I referenced when I subbed in, shark drew a massive amount of pressure because he had made a massive a noob (but not scum) mistake; the difference here is that most if not all of the new players have made mistakes which are easy to pick up on.
Also you seemed to be intentionally giving him an easy time, because you read him as town whereas you read others (say, Nabic) as neutral.
Okay, I'm not 100% sure if I'm following you, but my response is thus:  Yes, you're all making mistakes left and right, and Jim or I or any IC could likely drive a lynch on any player of our choosing if we were so inclined.  If we see newbslips we try to correct them (or let the player realized what they did wrong on thier own).  If we see scumslips, then we vote and pressure.  Sometimes I like to take a bit more "hands off" approach and let the players work things out for themselves and leave the analysis to post-game.  Experience being the best teacher and all that. 

In a non-BM game, slips of any kind are going to draw attention.  Lots of it.  In a BM game, it's pretty much expected, and it's the ICs job to sift through all the false positives and look for honest-to-god scumslips.  This is not always as easy as you might imagine it to be. 

If I see a player being very sloppy, but I read that it's more newbieness than scummy, I'm not going to drill into them like I'm hunting for oil.  [In fact, and here's one of those situations where ICs are obligated to shoot ourselves in the feet, I like to watch a player that's obviously new/bad and see who is attacking that player for being new/bad and why.  Scum like to go after the low-hanging fruit.]

Does that clarify things?

Just asking. In EpicMafia, which I used to play, anyone who claimed a role while under pressure would usually get a 90% vote majority in seconds.

In forum mafia, like this, if the cop/doctor claims, is it usual for scum to counter claim immediately, and the inverse true?
[From what I understand from the other bay12ers, EpicMafia is ... a rather unique beast unto itself.  I think we tend to be a bit more cautious here in general.  Scum are less likely to counter-fakeclaim unless it's milo/lylo.  Obviously this is not a hard and fast rule.  Sometimes claiming while being fitted for the noose will buy you some breathing room, sometimes not.  Of course, scum usually off the claiming player that night, but at least you might give town a shot at lynching someone worthwhile.]

Either IC, If you were in ShoesandHats's position, would you have claimed Town Doctor before getting lynched?
Yes.  What would be the reason not to?
Although my initial intuition was to claim, it could seem like he's rolefishing for the actual doctor as mafia, making him more likely to get voted off. Wouldn't mafia be just as likely to claim a power role to out the real one? Also, considering that there is no doctor, would you come out tomorrow even if you could only confirm 2 townies as cop?
Yeah, that's a possibility.  I don't think I've seen that happen as often, and certianly not very often in BMs.  The problem with fakeclaiming is that once anything throws doubt on your claim (like the real cop/doctor dying), you get an insta-lynch on the fakeclaimer.  Hence why I tend to see scum only fakeclaim when it's either very late game or everyone's massclaiming. 

In a smaller, role-light game as this, I'd likely claim after two town results, yes. 

[Another thing to look for when trying to spot fakeclaims is how the claim is constructed.  If a scum is fakeclaiming a cop, look for inspect results on players that have already died and flipped.  Scum will also inspect thier buddies as town.  Check to see if there's a good reason they chose to inspect the targets they claimed to inspect.  Doc fake claims are easier, because you don't (usually) get notified if you're protected but it didn't trigger.  Still, always look to the reasons.]

Hypothetical. If you thought ShoesandHats was town, and Captain Ford scum towards D1 end, would you have pushed for a further extension and a Captain Ford lynch?
Assuming the votes were the same?  Likely not.  It would have been a rather ... monumental effort to try and swing that many votes on my target.  Especially D1, when we still have breathing room before milo/lylo.  Town mislynch on D1 is ... highly common, especially in BMs.  However, this is not a tragedy, because now we have some solid info to work from.  Suspicious interactions between those who flipped town and other players can be safely dropped, and a re-analysis of reasons for voting someone who flipped town can be had. 

I've been gone for a little while, but I'll replace in if you would have me, ZU.
I'm not sure how to properly apologise for the last game I was a part of (and thoroughly ruined by leaving), but I still feel bad and I am really sorry.
[You're not the worst offender that we've kept around.]

As a result, he finds himself at the center of a lot of misunderstandings, both because his words are a mess and he doesn't understand what was being said in the first place.
Captain Ford ... so do you think Mr.Zero was indeed scum then, or "at the center of a lot of misunderstandings"? 

Does Mr.Zero replacing out change your willingness to vote?

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 06, 2012, 01:20:44 pm »

PFP: Unvote.
Hello! I'm still trying to get my bearings, and I've only read through once with a focus on the late Mr.Zero. (I should be more productive tonight.)

Flandre: Mr.Zero was very active. Do you think this contributed to his suspiciousness in a positive or negative manner? Will you be similarly active?
Judging by his activity alone, the amount of material Mr.Zero provided made him an easy target to question. Honestly, I don't think I will be quite as active as he was, considering how hard that would be to do!
I'll cover what I think about the actual post content in response to Jim, when I get to that.

Flandre, What do you think of Mr.Zero's suspicions towards Scottzar? Who do you currently find most suspicious?
From what I can tell, Mr.Zero's vote was spontaneous and lacking support. Up until that point, Mr.Zero maintained mostly a defensive posture against Scottzar, so I can't really see it as anything but an OMGUS.
Concerning that last question: finding suspects of my own will take a little more time, when I am not juggling this and busy-work. I'll try and give you and Jim a proper response sometime tonight.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
Re: BM XXXVII: Welcome to Zombo Mafia - Day 2
« Reply #307 on: November 06, 2012, 02:13:35 pm »

Current vote count:

Kingfisher1112:
Captain Ford [2]:  Nabic, Shakerag
Flandre [2]: Scottzar, Captain Ford
Nabic:
scottzar:
Jim Groovester:
Shakerag:

Not voting: Kingfisher1112, Jim Groovester, Flandre

Extension requests: 1

Day 1 will end Tuesday, November 6 at ~9:00 P.M. PST.

Tomorrow is election day! (in the USA) So Vote. And play. Play mafia.

Day ends in ~10 hours.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 02:31:39 pm by zombie urist »

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 06, 2012, 07:37:17 pm »

Out of the 4 other players who were not being replaced, I chose him because I've got a weak read at best on him. Additionally, his most recent post and vote felt "off" to me. Although I didn't pick at random, Captain Ford (among others) hasn't been posting much in the way of scumhunting. In D2, he hasn't done anything except argue against an extension, and ask a few questions to Mr.Zero and Scottzar.
I'd just like to point out that I didn't argue against the extension. I realized there was confusion over the deadline and sought to point it out.

Speaking of confusion over deadlines...

I can see a whole lot more Extensions in our future...

I'd also like to point out that when I made this extension vote, I hadn't noticed the change in last week's deadline from Thursday to Friday, and thought the day was going to end on Monday.

Captain Ford Throughout the entirety of the game, you've asked kingfisher1112/borno one question. If you didn't have any read on the player, why didn't you ask the replacement any questions? Didn't borno stick around long enough in D1? It looks like you were avoiding them, especially since you didn't ask either replacement a single question.
In your last statement you say what scum "would" do. However, without extenuating circumstances, a lack of activity is generally considered lurking. Why do you think this lack of activity is a town or non-scum read? Wouldn't scum want the least attention?

I simply couldn't think of anything to ask. I suppose if he'd been my primary focus, I would have come up with something, but he wasn't and I didn't.

I agree that a lack of activity is generally regarded as scummy. But the calls for replacements make it a bit different than simple lurking. It isn't that they are deliberately lurking as part of a strategy, but that they actually don't have the time (or interest) to play.

It doesn't make much sense to use replacements as part of deliberate strategy. After all, then they wouldn't be the one winning, would they?

As a result, he finds himself at the center of a lot of misunderstandings, both because his words are a mess and he doesn't understand what was being said in the first place.
Captain Ford ... so do you think Mr.Zero was indeed scum then, or "at the center of a lot of misunderstandings"? 

Does Mr.Zero replacing out change your willingness to vote?

I think he was a newb. I spent hours going over his posts, and it's mostly given me headaches.

When I cast my vote, I was hoping to evoke an immediate reaction. I didn't expect Mr.Zero to suddenly become busy. So that didn't work. Unvote.

Out of time for now.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 06, 2012, 08:58:09 pm »

I've looked through the thread several times, and I'm far from satisfied with my scumhunting progress. It might be that I'm standing in for a pot-stirrer I can't see eye-to-eye with at the end of a particularly flaily D1, but I need time to properly answer the questions I was asked and to do some information-gathering of my own.
Extend.

More incoming.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 06, 2012, 10:30:55 pm »

Jim:
Flandre, can you speak to why your predecessor used his inexperience as a shield when he really shouldn't have? Because at the time I'm writing this he would have been my top suspect (in a field of weak suspects) had he not been replaced.
The longer I consider Mr. Zero's forward playstyle, the easier it is for me to believe that it was a large bite for him to swallow. He made the poor choice of cropdusting his scrutiny upon everyone in the room, and responded poorly when the masses retaliated with counterarguments. I can only guess that shunting his weak claim (on making good attacks) to inexperience was his way of responding to...
Mr.Zero: still waiting on that attack post, esp. because you said you could make a strong one.
Creating an good attack would take far too long, it would require me to shift trough various posts, create more quote's, re-read, etc.
...without explicitly stating that he lacked any deep, focused arguments.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 06, 2012, 11:26:15 pm »

2 votes for an extension.

Day ends in ~30 mins.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 07, 2012, 12:00:26 am »

Processing day end...

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 07, 2012, 12:07:44 am »

[Redacted]
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 12:30:32 am by Flandre »

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 07, 2012, 12:07:58 am »

After another day of talking amongst yourselves, you've collectively decided that Captain Ford must be a zombie. So you everyone moves to smash his head with various nearby objects.

As the group nears him, he suddenly runs in a eastern direction. He must be a fast zombie. The group runs at a slightly slower pace until they reach the zombie's body. It turns out he collapsed due to exhaustion because being a zombie, his circulatory system didn't work or something like that.

You guys beat him up anyways for good measure.

Nothing like a good rest after a long day of zombie chasing.

Captain Ford has been lynched. He was a mafia roleblocker.

Current vote count:

Kingfisher1112:
Captain Ford [2]:  Nabic, Shakerag
Flandre [1]: Scottzar
Nabic:
scottzar:
Jim Groovester:
Shakerag:

Not voting: Kingfisher1112, Jim Groovester, Flandre, Captain Ford

Extension requests: 2

Night 2 will end Thursday, November 8 at ~9:00 P.M. PST.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 32