Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 393

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2952447 times)

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5595 on: September 01, 2023, 06:45:06 am »

The one thing about economy in adventure mode is that money is currently just broken and it wasn't always that way.  I forget exactly when it got broken, but there was a time that you could sell items for coins, buy things with coins and everything would work the way you expect.  It would be nice to fix it at least to the point of being able to use coins freely for everything.

There are also weird rules about stealing things and what it means for something to be stolen.  If I remember correctly, it *does* affect your reputation (though your reputation isn't really used for very much at the moment).  Making that kind of stuff more visible and also making it operate in a way that seems logical would be nice.

It was broken because fort mode econ was itself a steaming pile of trash at the time, in case you weren't aware.

Kyo1995

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5596 on: September 02, 2023, 09:04:43 pm »

Hi Tarn! Hope you're doing well.

Do you plan on messing with forgotten beasts' behavior for the villains update pt. 2? It would be cool to have scheming monsters trying to turn your fortress into a cult or something.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5597 on: September 04, 2023, 08:38:27 pm »

Hope you're feeling better!

I wonder if you could give us a quick "near term" summary of the things you plan on working on for the next 2 months or so? Not asking for any predictions of what will get done, just a plan like we used to get in the DevLogs of what you'd like to work on!
Team Bug Fix!

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5598 on: September 05, 2023, 12:04:34 am »

Trading with coins in adventure mode definitely worked past 0.28 because I never played 0.28 ;-)  It was broken sometime after that.  I want to say 0.34, but I honestly can't remember exactly when it broke.  As far as I know, it was never related to the fort mode economy.

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5599 on: September 05, 2023, 01:21:20 am »

The one thing about economy in adventure mode is that money is currently just broken and it wasn't always that way.  I forget exactly when it got broken, but there was a time that you could sell items for coins, buy things with coins and everything would work the way you expect.  It would be nice to fix it at least to the point of being able to use coins freely for everything.

There are also weird rules about stealing things and what it means for something to be stolen.  If I remember correctly, it *does* affect your reputation (though your reputation isn't really used for very much at the moment).  Making that kind of stuff more visible and also making it operate in a way that seems logical would be nice.

Finally, because I play with "thou shalt not steal" house rules, I tend to barter for armor and weapons that soldiers are wearing (giving them the bounty of my bone carvings).  I kind of feel like it would be nice if soldiers wouldn't be quite so accommodating though (walking around naked holding 42 badly carved bone carvings after meeting me).  It would also be nice if the "value" of goods was a bit more random.  I once RP'd a silk trader, buying silk at one side of the map and selling it at the other.  But I could only barter for essentially the exact same value each time, so there was no sense of profit.  Just useless activity.  Even if it were random, it would be a lot more fun.

I should make my way to the suggestions thread :-)  But anyway, I think the point that there are some pretty small tweaks to adventure mode that would make a big improvement is well taken.

I thought that it worked just fine, at least last time I played adventure mode. Sure, there were annoyances involving needing the specific local currency and that would make carrying around gems a lot more useful than carrying around cash, but I do recall being able to buy and sell at shops just fine. I think the last time I tried adventure mode was the last pre-Steam release, too.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5600 on: September 05, 2023, 01:59:08 am »

Finally, because I play with "thou shalt not steal" house rules, I tend to barter for armor and weapons that soldiers are wearing (giving them the bounty of my bone carvings).  I kind of feel like it would be nice if soldiers wouldn't be quite so accommodating though (walking around naked holding 42 badly carved bone carvings after meeting me).  It would also be nice if the "value" of goods was a bit more random.  I once RP'd a silk trader, buying silk at one side of the map and selling it at the other.  But I could only barter for essentially the exact same value each time, so there was no sense of profit.  Just useless activity.  Even if it were random, it would be a lot more fun.

I should make my way to the suggestions thread :-)  But anyway, I think the point that there are some pretty small tweaks to adventure mode that would make a big improvement is well taken.

I thought that it worked just fine, at least last time I played adventure mode. Sure, there were annoyances involving needing the specific local currency and that would make carrying around gems a lot more useful than carrying around cash, but I do recall being able to buy and sell at shops just fine. I think the last time I tried adventure mode was the last pre-Steam release, too.

Interesting, could’ve sworn there was a bug whereby adventure-mode tavern keepers wouldn’t accept coins but I can’t seem to find any reference to it in the wiki…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

uioped1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5601 on: September 08, 2023, 05:53:06 pm »

I've been playing around with the civ screen for the first time, and ran across something I wondered about:
Is there a particular reason that you can only occupy already occupied locations?
There are a bunch of empty forts around, but I can only attempt to conquer the nearby mountain home.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5602 on: September 09, 2023, 06:48:43 am »

I've been playing around with the civ screen for the first time, and ran across something I wondered about:
Is there a particular reason that you can only occupy already occupied locations?
There are a bunch of empty forts around, but I can only attempt to conquer the nearby mountain home.

I suppose it makes sense that if you could occupy empty provinces, there would be no reason to raze provinces to be empty in the first place, and you could occupy the entire map meaning outcasts and refugees have nowhere to go to resettle or hang out, breaking some of the background game logic. (Also not all sites even if empty belong to civs, so they'd just found new sites leading to site overpopulation depending on your cap)

Its not the most hashed out system since its introduction and i hope the 'villians arc' part 2 can take a look at how it runs to make the whole map strategy game on the side run a lot smoother so your missions are better calculated, informed, and doing actions like razing, artifact retrieval and upcoming plots via the dungeon master can have more of a lasting impact vs the state of the world just undoing your actions relatively quickly.

Also lime-green please for toady.

Hi Tarn! Hope you're doing well.

Do you plan on messing with forgotten beasts' behavior for the villains update pt. 2? It would be cool to have scheming monsters trying to turn your fortress into a cult or something.

Religions can already propogate around any megabeast with a sphere, if they cause enough destruction to be witnessed by the survivors, and some more centricity on [POWER] monsters taking over as leaders of civs (mostly HFS ruling civs under pretenses of being gods) was put back i think before version 40. if i remember correct.

Using some propheteering on a bunch of hostages on the site they're attacking does sound fun though.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 07:00:31 am by FantasticDorf »

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5603 on: September 10, 2023, 08:54:12 pm »

I realise this is a late submission, so I don't mind if a response is in next months batch.
I was inspecting the images on an artifact my dwarf had created and thought:

Will we see coherent multi-scene images across engravings or other depictions in the myth update, similar to how coherent, story like events will be used to construct a mythology?

I get that systems like this are planned to enter the game eventually. Really, I thought of asking the question as the myth system seemed like it could be multipurpose in that way, although admittedly, I understand very little about how any of these systems would work.
I imagine something like repeated use of particular icons, or after mentioning a list of various independent images a concluding statement that the scene depicts a particular site or event.
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5604 on: September 11, 2023, 04:03:45 pm »

FTFY.

ryno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5605 on: September 11, 2023, 04:07:11 pm »

has the team considered the logistics for additional sprite overlays on artifact items, such that more of their materials / adornments are rendered

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #5606 on: September 11, 2023, 04:07:47 pm »

FTFY.

This is just a change in the shade of green, in case someone is curious.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5607 on: September 13, 2023, 12:38:54 pm »

Things are finally settling down.  It has been bad on the illness and family death front, etc.  I'll be able to reply here pretty soon.

I did make a note about the Fangamer in Europe situation from the last FotF - they are expecting November for that currently.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5608 on: September 13, 2023, 02:51:56 pm »

So sorry for your loss!
Team Bug Fix!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5609 on: September 13, 2023, 03:57:43 pm »

Very sorry to hear about the news.  The game's development obviously takes a back seat to that.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 393