Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New Traps  (Read 1467 times)

Fenrir

Re: New Traps
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 11:56:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Olix:
<STRONG>

This is my plan - going to make the goblins fight some Zombie Mountain Goats. It would be nice if the dwarves got happy thoughts for watching, Roman style.</STRONG>

Cool! Goblins vs. Zombie Goats! Be sure to post some screenshots of the action!

When you build your arena you should place chairs on the floor above and designate it as a meeting area.

Side view:

code:

n   n
###   ###
 H   H
#########

# = floor
n = chair
H = door

Maybe you should add trap doors to drop unsuspecting spectators into the arena.  :D

[ November 06, 2007: Message edited by: Fenrir ]

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 12:22:00 pm »

You should build a Jabba-the-Hutt style throne room, complete with a female elf chained near the nicest throne.
lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!

MickEfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 01:59:00 pm »

Don't forget the joy of flingify() with some practice, instead of dumping magma ON them, you could launch them into the magma.

Damnit, now I have to see if I can catapult a wagon off a cliff... Thanks alot fellas  :p

ChaosSonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2007, 08:53:00 pm »

Can you capture representatives of other realms? Capturing some elves or humans could be lots of fun. I need to rename my leader Jabba the Hut.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2007, 01:35:00 am »

Yeah its possible, if you mod it and then tame the animal. I've never done it but I know people who have.

They said that if your tamed creature (such as an elf) is intelligent, they sleep, eat, and do other stuff. Their clothes eventually rot away though.

So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2007, 08:17:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hamster Man:
<STRONG>Their clothes eventually rot away though.</STRONG>

You act as if that's a bad thing.

GreyMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2007, 08:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Paul:
<STRONG>I made a lava trap.

screw pump. The second layer has another screw pump below the first, but it isn't connected to the 3x10 chamber, and the hallway is a checkerboard of channels, with a lever linked to the bridge above and two small 2x3 bridges meant to close off the chamber. The bottom level has a screw pump on a channel to the side pumping into the chamber, but disconnected so that a dwarf can pump it without the backflow burning him up.</STRONG>

Screw pumps pump lava without burning up?

Whoa.

I haven't really put any thought into it yet... I'm too busy providing food for my dwarves and my new immigrants. I suppose I'll have to think of something eventually, though...

t''s not illegal. The government just doesn''t want you doing it.

lizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2007, 08:36:00 pm »

I'm happy with my pummel-o-matic.

normal

code:

===o,=
=,BBB=
,,BBB=
=,BBB=
=,BBB=

= is wall
, is carved out
o is deep channel
B is bridge

The bridges raise/lower, go cross-ways and each line is independent.  They're hooked up to levers to raise+lower right away.  Hopefully the trolls won't be able to wreck them in the second that they're down post-squish.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2007, 08:47:00 pm »

I've been spending some (Translation: 'Far too much') time thinking of new trap designs, and I've come up with a few.

There's the "Shower trap", the "Walkway of death" for massive siege cleaning, and my special doormat design, which needs to be reloaded each time but can take out (in theory) a very large number of attackers.

The shower trap consists of a hallway with deeper channels along the sides (going down as many levels as desired), and a massive water reservoir on the level above.

The idea is, you put hatch doors in along the bottom of the reservoir, where the center (or side, if you want to make a one-sided design) of the hallway below would be.  Link the hatches up to a lever, line the walls of the pit underneath with spikes (and put in a grate for drainage), and hope for visitors.

This should then, hopefully, cause the falling water to sweep the invaders off the sides of the walkway and onto the spikes below.  This allows you to kill the invaders, provide easy access to the goodies they were carrying (once the room drains), and should also clean up the blood by itself.

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2007, 08:56:00 pm »

On the subject of gladiator arenas.. I actually have one in my ( Currently crashes 5 seconds after loading, gogo seed bug ) human fortress.

This is the top level, also marked as a meeting room. My humans love watching my recruits spar.

Bottom level, Note the grates hooked up to a lever. Those open up a 10 story fall. I also house my recruits here on specific teams designated to one side or the other. The two doors are connected to a lever, and are for releasing caged creatures into the arena to battle with my hapless recruits.

Partially designed from the Oblivion arena, mainly the grate and two different sides for different teams.

Quintin Stone

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Bureaucrat
    • View Profile
    • RPS
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2007, 11:22:00 pm »

My entrance has 2 bridges.  The first large one is retractable, the second is a drawbridge that lifts to block the hallway, so they can't get off the first bridge.

However, there are doors to get around the second bridge.  Locked doors.  The idea is to lift the second bridge so they go for the doors.  With the doors locked, they won't be able to get through them (at least not quickly), but when they approach, I drop the retractable bridge.

They fall 2 levels onto spike traps.  Then the water pours in.  A bridge closes above them so they can't simply swim out if the water rises high enough.

[ November 15, 2007: Message edited by: Quintin Stone ]

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2007, 11:49:00 pm »

Entirely conceptual at this point, not yet self-sufficient enough to focus on projects like this.

code:

Top:
XXXXXXXX
###0
XXXXXX X
    XPX
    XXX

X - Wall
# - Grate
0 - Door (Locked)
P - Pressure plate

Side:
X###0
X   X
X~~~X
X~@~X
XXXXX

Self explanatory

The goblins come to my door, I quickly open the grates and drop them into my carp-infested room. I'd hook up some floodgates, to connect the river to the room and the room to an extra chamber for storing the carp while getting the loot. Presumably a pump system too for the main room.

find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2007, 07:06:00 pm »

Do the dwarves get happy thoughts from it?
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.
Pages: 1 [2]