Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 101

Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon II. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Wagon Life.  (Read 210765 times)

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there any reason to use the Jester? Haven't recruited one, had one to pop up available but the skills seemed pretty useless. So far I'm rolling with Vestal/Occultist, Plague Doctor for crowd control (yay for stun grenades), two tanks. When doctors are too insane I replace the slot with a Grave Robber, but she seems quite...average.

Jester was the most OP and broken hero that would make your whole party have 0 stress. They nerfed him in last patch, but still you can abuse it like the healing mechanic.
Make love not war

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

The game doesn't really have *that* much RNG. It is in a way like BloodBowl, risk management.

There is no managing the risk of  crits, as DemonofWrath points out. There's also no managing guys who can attack 4 ranks deep from the front row targeting your healers and weakest characters exclusively. You're either going to go first, or you're not. They're either going to wipe them out in one turn, or not.

Bloodbowl is a tactical game because you can see what's about to happen and plan accordingly, and then blame the dice rolls. DD is just subjecting yourself to the RNG first, and managing the risk after the fact as best you can. At the very least, seeing who is acting next would help you make decisions that will keep people alive better.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Shit hits the fan manager.
Edit: The true test of your resolve.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 11:39:15 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Shit hits the fan manager.
Edit: The true test of your resolve.

I think it's the true test of your tolerance for RNG. I'm ok with losing guys but I don't like the hole the game starts to dig for you. If you weren't at as risk of exhausting your funds due to provisioning and stress-reduction costs, I think I'd be complaining a little less.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll have to check this out
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

So far I'm rolling with Vestal/Occultist, Plague Doctor for crowd control (yay for stun grenades), two tanks. When doctors are too insane I replace the slot with a Grave Robber, but she seems quite...average.

I'm surprised you find plague doctors good for crowd control at all, given their low versatility. The stun grenade only works on the back row people, and it can miss. Same with plague grenade. Once you kill two enemies (the two weakest?) then you're stuck with their shitty front row attacks.

Graverobber, now.. average? I think she likely has one of the best skill combos: shadowfade is low damage, but is a good stunner, and bolsters defense. Plus, it shoves you to the back, where you can use lunge, which IMO is in the top 3 attack skills in the game a +40% to damage and a +10% to crit.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 12:43:44 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm still unimpressed with Grave Robber. Her damage is low, and rather than all the moving ranks to stun and yadda yadda, which can still get resisted, you can get a bounty hunter wailing on dudes from anywhere in the lineup, or pulling them to the front, or using his flashbang.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

I'm still unimpressed with Grave Robber. Her damage is low, and rather than all the moving ranks to stun and yadda yadda, which can still get resisted, you can get a bounty hunter wailing on dudes from anywhere in the lineup, or pulling them to the front, or using his flashbang.

See, the thing that does it for me is that she is one of the most reliable characters I have. Her Accuracy is much higher than most other characters, so while she may not be hitting as hard she's almost always hitting. Something that can't be said for most other classes. I've had more than one battle pulled through simply because I could count on the Grave Robber to do her job even when everyone else is failing. She's also fast, and often the only person on my team to go before any of the enemy units, meaning that she can take out a badly wounded enemy before it has a chance to go.

Of course, the enemies seem to know this so she gets ganged up on a lot. Lost more than a few Grave Robbers because of that.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Of course, the enemies seem to know this so she gets ganged up on a lot. Lost more than a few Grave Robbers because of that.

That's been my other experience with her. Every time I take one in, it seems to get targeted. She takes the same kind of heat casters do it seems, and despite dodge it doesn't seem to help her stay alive all that often.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eh, mine don't die more often than most other classes. They just have a bad habit of being the only one to die and saving the necks of the rest of the morons in the party while she takes all the hits. I think I've lost more bounty hunters than grave robbers. I just notice the deaths more because they happen less as a party wipe and more as a sacrifice. :/

Anyone have any good tips on how to take on the swine prince? I had a good party - Crusader, Hellion, Highwayman, and Vestral. They pretty much walked through every battle up to the bastard, and then got completely stomped. He hit everyone every round for 6-12 damage and is immune to stun. I hurt him, but no where near as fast as he hurt me. Lost the Vestral and fled the battle with everyone else at death's door. I'm...just not sure how to deal with that one.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anyone have any good tips on how to take on the swine prince? I had a good party - Crusader, Hellion, Highwayman, and Vestral. They pretty much walked through every battle up to the bastard, and then got completely stomped. He hit everyone every round for 6-12 damage and is immune to stun. I hurt him, but no where near as fast as he hurt me. Lost the Vestral and fled the battle with everyone else at death's door. I'm...just not sure how to deal with that one.

Where you attacking or pulling the little pig? Cause you really shouldn't attack the little pig.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm kinda meh with the backward moving stun, since I don't really rely on em. 
The pickaxe is on par with the 'average', which doesn't mean its a bad thing... what I'm saying is that it works as I need it to, nothing more, nothing less. 
The blight and double dagger have their uses.  The blight more so against big things.
Lunge is awesome... but you do need to have a party that gels with its use.

Yea, I suppose I can see why you'd be unimpressed.  (They still have a place in my party formation anytime though.)

Blight/Bleed/Critical the big pig.  Don't bother with anything fancy/gimmicky.  Getting a lucky dodge on an attack or mark really does help though.  You did upgrade your characters equipment and skills?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Where you attacking or pulling the little pig? Cause you really shouldn't attack the little pig.

We killed the little pig in two turns. Apparently that was a bad idea?

After that I got bleeds up on the big guy and wailed on him, but he hit us harder than we could hit him, proportionally.
Come play Mafia with us!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

If you hit the little guy he does Enraged Destruction which stuns your whole team.  If the little guy dies he spams it every turn for the rest of the fight.  Otherwise he only attacks whoever Wilbur marks and since Wilbur almost always goes first and the prince almost always goes last you can usually at least know who's getting clobbered and prepare accordingly.

Also when he's dead Wilbur starts spamming a 1 damage whole-team stun so be careful.  He can wipe  you if you're unlucky and badly wounded at the end.
Shoes...

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How do you flee during a battle anyway?
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 101