Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 523985 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #2505 on: August 17, 2016, 11:58:12 am »

OTOH, if you're playing a nation which uses one of the smaller nametypes (which isn't most of them; KO did an impressive job fleshing them out), it can keep you from having 6 leaders all named... hmm... Xi Mi, maybe (I'm pretty sure the "Deep" nametype is one of the scanter ones).

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: August 17, 2016, 01:46:08 pm »

Yeeaaah... I don't exactly mind having five ratatosks running around, because squirrel power hell yeah, but it can get a bit confusing. Renaming helps.

The freespawn undead nations can have a hell of a time of it, too. Fifty thousand rotfleshes, which army is that one leading, nobody knows! I mean, to a degree nobody cares either because they're all herding around several dozen undead chaff, but... still.

And reanimating nations can be even worse. The piles upon piles of commanders they build up tend to not cycle out as easily. Also scouts. Friggin' scouts. You get indie province with scouts, particularly early, and it never stops recruiting and by the end of the game you're not quite sure which scout that message is talking about because you've got five different guys named that.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 01:47:51 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: August 22, 2016, 09:47:07 pm »

Wait, you guys know your commanders by name? I barely even remember my prophet's name most of the time.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: August 22, 2016, 09:49:47 pm »

I actually do not remember my prophet's name in our current bay12 game.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: August 22, 2016, 10:05:51 pm »

If I'm actually putting full effort into playing, sure. Important stuff (rare randoms, etc.) get distinctive names (even if it's just something like W3F2, heh), so I know to pay attention to them, and sometimes why. Little time invested early can save a lot of time later hunting for a particular critter, or help make it less likely you'll do something stupid with something important because you forgot which one it is and can't be arsed to find it.

... it's probably telling I don't rename often :P

Normal play, though, I do tend to remember the names of a few commanders. Usually at least the prophet, unless I'm just using it as a domspread bit. Then maybe heroes, or particularly often used army leaders or battlecasters. Though that does tend to change if I'm playing something like ashen ermor, since, as mentioned, there ends up being like fifty thousand rotfleshes and it becomes increasingly hard to care as the game progresses.
Ask not!
Ask!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: August 23, 2016, 01:20:50 am »

Could someone explain to me why one of my commanders and one squads suddenly drowned? I had 3 commanders with goblets for water breathing. My army goes in fine. They take the province and survive. I move them to a second province and win that battle too, no commander deaths in it. However I get the message that one of my commanders (without one of the goblets) drowns, and I find an entire squad (that was under command of one of the captains with a goblet) gone. They did not route during the battle.

Why are my guys randomly drowning?

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: August 23, 2016, 02:08:46 am »

Renaming is fun, I themed most of my Great Boars after Beacon (and none ever saw them, due to my and the entire games surrender) and gave all my water shamans numbers (starting at 37, because why give any advantage).

Since it has very little downside and mostly adds flavor, I'm all for renaming.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: August 23, 2016, 04:47:35 am »

Could someone explain to me why one of my commanders and one squads suddenly drowned? I had 3 commanders with goblets for water breathing. My army goes in fine. They take the province and survive. I move them to a second province and win that battle too, no commander deaths in it. However I get the message that one of my commanders (without one of the goblets) drowns, and I find an entire squad (that was under command of one of the captains with a goblet) gone. They did not route during the battle.

He probably tripped and spilled all the air out of it.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: August 23, 2016, 09:17:26 am »

I wasn't even aware that you could use waterbreathing equipment that way (to support a separate commander + troops) - from what I've found, Dominions doesn't usually like it when you do that.

I'm not sure when the game checks the waterbreathing requirement, but it might be possible that, due to the order in which your commanders moved into (or out of) a water province, that you lost the support numbers that you needed at some critical moment.

I would very much recommend that you only ever enter the water with non-waterbreathing troops directly under commanders who have objects of waterbreathing - there's just too much that can go wrong otherwise.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: August 23, 2016, 06:03:12 pm »

I wasn't even aware that you could use waterbreathing equipment that way (to support a separate commander + troops) - from what I've found, Dominions doesn't usually like it when you do that.

I'm not sure when the game checks the waterbreathing requirement, but it might be possible that, due to the order in which your commanders moved into (or out of) a water province, that you lost the support numbers that you needed at some critical moment.

I would very much recommend that you only ever enter the water with non-waterbreathing troops directly under commanders who have objects of waterbreathing - there's just too much that can go wrong otherwise.

I can accept that answer for the commander without the goblet, but that doesn't answer my question about the squad under command of a guy with the goblet.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: August 23, 2016, 06:26:14 pm »

Could very well be the same explanation. That commander's supply points were going to someone else's squad when they moved, so there weren't enough points "left over" for his own squad. Or something.

I wouldn't put it past Dom4 mechanics.

EDIT: Y'know, I'd kinda like a north-American civilization to show up. We've got really far-north with the inuit-inspired LA Atlantis, middle/mesoamerica with Xibalba and Mictlan, and even farther south with Nazca. But nothing in that northern stretch with the Iroqouis, Cree, Sioux, Pueblo etc.  Plenty of fun myths and stories to draw from the various native nations there.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: August 28, 2016, 05:59:42 pm »

I don't think there are any magic katanas are there? :(

I WANTED TO GIVE A FIVEFOLD ANGEL A KATANA AND MAKE A GORRILIONFOLD ANGEL BUT NOW MY DREAM IS CRUSHED
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: August 28, 2016, 06:05:56 pm »

Nope, don't think there are any magic katanas. Not specifically, at least.

Also, swords of any description are rather difficult to wield if you don't, y'know... Have hands. Or similarly dextrous appendages.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: August 28, 2016, 06:13:40 pm »

You could probably mod one in pretty easy. The hands thing is irrelevant if they've got misc slots and a sufficiently powerful EF forger, though.
Ask not!
Ask!

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: August 28, 2016, 08:01:44 pm »

Well, technically... There are enchanted katanas, just not as craftable items.
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 236