Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Furry Fortress 2 - Rise of the Jackalopes  (Read 31986 times)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: Furry Fortress 2 - Sieges Everywhere ... or not
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2016, 08:44:53 pm »

I just got a Tadger siege (and massacred it).

This was in autumn, year 3 of my test fort built using v6, the version available from the front page (not your current testing region). I had set all of the progress triggers for hostile civs to 1. I have 5138541 created wealth and 78 population before the siege came.

I think the badguy tags work, but you have to set the progress triggers to 1 to get them to come by the earliest possible time of three years in.

Edit: I have to say it is disconcerting that furry creatures look like dwarves when dead. I thought my military had suffered casualties at first.

Interesting.  Well, if it works already, that's the easiest solution.  That might mean I've done something else to mess up sieges on my machine. 

Which version of DF are you running?  I'm concerned that I might have messed something up when I switched from 42.05 to 42.06 or that my version isn't compatible somehow with the new stuff. 

Did the Tadghers bring steal weapons or any interesting war animals?  Like I said, I've never gotten a furry siege and I've always hoped that they would be more eventful than goblins. 

And yes, I don't know how to change the corpse sprite. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2016, 08:58:04 pm »

This was in autumn, year 3 of my test fort built using v6, the version available from the front page (not your current testing region). I had set all of the progress triggers for hostile civs to 1. I have 5138541 created wealth and 78 population before the siege came.

I think the badguy tags work, but you have to set the progress triggers to 1 to get them to come by the earliest possible time of three years in.

Edit: I have to say it is disconcerting that furry creatures look like dwarves when dead. I thought my military had suffered casualties at first.

Interesting.  Well, if it works already, that's the easiest solution.  That might mean I've done something else to mess up sieges on my machine. 

Which version of DF are you running?  I'm concerned that I might have messed something up when I switched from 42.05 to 42.06 or that my version isn't compatible somehow with the new stuff. 

Did the Tadghers bring steal weapons or any interesting war animals?  Like I said, I've never gotten a furry siege and I've always hoped that they would be more eventful than goblins. 

I'm running 42.06. Like I said, all I did was edit progress triggers to 1 (wait, I think I also deleted the ITEM_THIEF tag, because it felt redundant with BABYSNATCHER, and I don't know if the two triggers together cause a negative interaction).

The Tadgers wore plate mail made of paktong, rock steel, steel, and novachalcum. Only one seems to have equipped a helmet. They had weapons made of sterling, geochalcum, aerochalcum, and ocean steel. I don't know if I'm supposed to fear any of these materials. Are war spades and trowel swords good weapons? Also, they sent two axemen who did not bring weapons, though they did have armor.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 09:01:46 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2016, 11:09:56 pm »

I'm running 42.06. Like I said, all I did was edit progress triggers to 1 (wait, I think I also deleted the ITEM_THIEF tag, because it felt redundant with BABYSNATCHER, and I don't know if the two triggers together cause a negative interaction).

The Tadgers wore plate mail made of paktong, rock steel, steel, and novachalcum. Only one seems to have equipped a helmet. They had weapons made of sterling, geochalcum, aerochalcum, and ocean steel. I don't know if I'm supposed to fear any of these materials. Are war spades and trowel swords good weapons? Also, they sent two axemen who did not bring weapons, though they did have armor.

Thanks for the report.  Novachalcum is supposed to be super strong, but very heavy, (tungsten carbide) I've had mixed results with it.  The x-steels are comparable to steel, the x-ochalcums are comparable to iron, except for hydrochalcum which is just blue gold.  I think paktong is somewhere in between iron and bronze, I've never scienced it (stats are based on real life cupronickel).  If you encounter dracometal, its stats are powered up paktong.  Sterling is just silver, you can't use plain silver or copper to make weapons in FuFo which increases the difficulty.  Trowel swords are equivalent to standard shortsword, but they have a wider contact area when stabbing.  War Spade is like a combination spear and battle axe, with a wide stab.  Cone hammers and bolt guns would be more dangerous.  Cone hammers do blunt damage but have a contact area of 1, which seems to really mess things up. 

It's interesting that the siegers brought platemail.  Tadghers are supposed to be able to produce it, but for some reason, I never have the option to produce it when I'm playing as them.  Tadghers can make top hats out of metal, which I think functions in between the normal metal cap and helm. 

If you're playing dwarves, the FuFo Dwarven civ is unplayable by default, but can produce trowel swords, bolt guns and bearded axes, which are higher velocity but lighter, and dwarrosteel, which is stronger than normal steel. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2016, 07:54:24 am »

Ah, now I recheck, it seems four of them wore helms, two of them made of paktong, one of ocean steel, and one of bronze, but no metal top hats. I had noticed that the lagomer and formician bards/mercs who visited brought various clothing items made of metal, though. The three hammermen in the siege force had brought cone hammers.

I'm actually using a slightly modified version of dwarves that I usually test the Fortress Defense Mod with, with their personalities reshaped to love fighting, and access to the standard materials and tech of vanilla dwarf civilization.

I think I had an easy time of it because I had been prepping for 3 years, and the siege was only ten individuals, who were heavily outnumbered by my own soldiers. So far I've had only one other siege in the following year, by goblins, but I will continue running the fort and waiting for new invaders.

Edit: Ran into a Formician siege. They were all small, and using metal clothing including novachalcum, aerochalcum, and cloud steel, helmets made of various metals including blaze and ocean steel, and tower shields. Their ranged units were three bowmen, using pyrochalcum and other modded metal bows, and lead arrows. Overall the force was poorly armored.

In the process my own Formician Master Lancer died.  While the rest of the army fought off the rest of the formician invaders, she managed to find a coati, who ate her head and ran off with her masterwork spear  >:(

It looks like the small size and poor armor of the formicians make them less of a threat than the large races in this mod.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 09:10:46 am by darkflagrance »

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2016, 12:56:10 pm »

Ah, now I recheck, it seems four of them wore helms, two of them made of paktong, one of ocean steel, and one of bronze, but no metal top hats. I had noticed that the lagomer and formician bards/mercs who visited brought various clothing items made of metal, though. The three hammermen in the siege force had brought cone hammers.

I'm actually using a slightly modified version of dwarves that I usually test the Fortress Defense Mod with, with their personalities reshaped to love fighting, and access to the standard materials and tech of vanilla dwarf civilization.

I think I had an easy time of it because I had been prepping for 3 years, and the siege was only ten individuals, who were heavily outnumbered by my own soldiers. So far I've had only one other siege in the following year, by goblins, but I will continue running the fort and waiting for new invaders.

Edit: Ran into a Formician siege. They were all small, and using metal clothing including novachalcum, aerochalcum, and cloud steel, helmets made of various metals including blaze and ocean steel, and tower shields. Their ranged units were three bowmen, using pyrochalcum and other modded metal bows, and lead arrows. Overall the force was poorly armored.

In the process my own Formician Master Lancer died.  While the rest of the army fought off the rest of the formician invaders, she managed to find a coati, who ate her head and ran off with her masterwork spear  >:(

It looks like the small size and poor armor of the formicians make them less of a threat than the large races in this mod.

Thanks for continuing.  This is very helpful, since I don't get a lot of time to test things, and I get the chance to see the game through someone else's eyes. 

Formicians are a strange bunch.  They are supposed to be able to have kids without marriage with litter sizes up to 10, but I haven't seen that work in v42.  They grow up fast and die young, but the idea is that you can have a lot of them at once compared to other civs.  They can cave in skulls with their bare chitinous fists, but they don't do well in weapon combat.  But a coati?  That shouldn't have been a challenge.  For a while I was testing Jumping Spider Man civs as part of the first badguy civ collection, which would could carry 5 or 6 shields at a time but still got slaughtered in 2 or 3 turns of combat. 

There are a bunch of "hard" clothings that you can make out of bone or shell or metal, but the computer will only make it out of metal.  These are mainly for the benefit of carnivore civs, since they don't get planting skills by default, but it fits a theme, non-carnivores can make it as well. 

Poor armor has always been a problem with Goblin sieges too.  That's probably just how the game works.  That's actually why I want to augment civilized civs with some monster civs like wyverns. 

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2016, 05:32:26 pm »

I just got a pandamon siege. I haven't been able to play the fort to gather more data.

But it seems as if setting the progress triggers to 1 is a universal solution thus far, for the civilized sieges at least.

Edit: I fought off the siege. They brought their own unique Chinese-themed weapons (hatchets, sergeant staves, changdao) and clothing, it seems. Their mountain armor proved effective at deflecting my steel weapons, but their heads were only covered by heads and caps that did not protect them from getting one shot. The archers did not wear any metal armor and were easy targets.

While you cannot force invaders to wear armor on their hands and feet, you can give them good helmets and max UBSTEP mail which will cover most important parts of the body. I try to give the serious civs in my mod access to a special armor I call full plate that covers as much of the body as a single piece can cover, along with guaranteed access to a hat equivalent to make those civs a threat. That might not fit the flavor of some of your civs, but it's worth considering to make them resist dwarves who trained for years in preparation for battle.

Edit2: Got attacked by a formician siege who brought elk birds, giant bats, and cave crocodiles (they rode the elk birds). They also brought a ton of drones, who were naked and died quickly. All told there were 39 beasts and 40 formicians.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 02:43:22 am by darkflagrance »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2016, 05:48:29 pm »

You know, if you want a naga race, I made one a long time ago with a full graphics set and its own procedurally generated language.  I'm actually just about to update it for the new version.

EDIT: I have updated it.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 10:03:26 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2016, 10:14:26 pm »

I am having a really hard time downloading this for some reason, do you have like, a zipped version?

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2016, 10:48:04 pm »

You know, if you want a naga race, I made one a long time ago with a full graphics set and its own procedurally generated language.  I'm actually just about to update it for the new version.

I appreciate the offer, but the reason I've stopped adding new cultures is because it's just getting too crowded.  If I added snagas, I'd want to give them a bunch of interesting India weapons like the bhuj, zaghnal and urumi, and it would just make all these item lists even longer.  I might someday say "oh, what the hell" and add in snakes and salamanders after all, but for the moment, they are not on the table. 

I just got a pandamon siege. I haven't been able to play the fort to gather more data.

But it seems as if setting the progress triggers to 1 is a universal solution thus far, for the civilized sieges at least.

Well, I really appreciate your contribution so far.  This definitely allows me to direct my attention elsewhere. 

I am having a really hard time downloading this for some reason, do you have like, a zipped version?
There is a zipped version there, sorry if the google drive looks unclear.  Here's a direct link:  https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5_Jm8L6GFwcY2Z2U0MwMGJmSWM

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2016, 11:20:10 pm »

I appreciate the offer, but the reason I've stopped adding new cultures is because it's just getting too crowded.  If I added snagas, I'd want to give them a bunch of interesting India weapons like the bhuj, zaghnal and urumi, and it would just make all these item lists even longer.  I might someday say "oh, what the hell" and add in snakes and salamanders after all, but for the moment, they are not on the table. 

Well, for what it's worth, these weren't meant to "be India", (the language is actually based extremely roughly on French due to what the original requester had wanted,) and they're also not meant to be "furry" (or "scaley", as it were,) but of the more chimeric humanoid variety of the same sort as the classic mermaid.

They're primarily spear/pike users (to take advantage of their lunges) and have a higher focus upon social skills, as well as more detailed ceramics-crafting.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 01, 2016, 11:06:01 am »

Just encountered a siege of 30 mounted Pandamon warriors on horseback. Unfortunately, the horses were vanilla horses rather than warbeasts, meaning they scattered and fled rather than allow their riders to engage my forces. I don't know if this is desired behavior, or if you would prefer to give the Furry Fortress races more warlike mounts.

Edit: A Lagomer drunk just petitioned to join my fort. She was supposed to be a bard, but all she's done since she arrived is hang out in my booze stockpile on top of the barrels, with a goblet in her hand, getting shitfaced. She even dropped her instrument and forgot about it in her quest for alcohol. I like to think my citizens find her antics quite hilarious. She's constantly blissful or euphoric from inebriation - at least when she's not pining for her homeland or her family, and wishing the game mechanics allowed her to wander again. Maybe she's an exile? Whatever the reason, it's a vicious cycle that only ends in her drinking more to forget her sorrows.

Well, I'm not one to heal wounded souls, so I granted her citizenship and set her up a bed in the wine cellar. Drink away, Miss drunken bunny-person.

Edit2: SHE'S DRINKING CARROT WINE
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 10:47:03 pm by darkflagrance »

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 01, 2016, 10:48:27 pm »

Very interesting.  I've actually never faced a non-goblin siege in vanilla DF, so I was unaware that horses would do that and I don't know what tools would be at my disposal to fix it.  All of the furry civs have USE_ANY_PET_RACE and pack animals, because if they don't have pack animals, they can't trade.  So if they could choose a different animal than horse, they should have.  My original plan was that you could still play as the bad furry civs, but maybe that should be rethought.  Maybe this is my cue to start adding some warbeasts. 

The bunny bard story is hilarious.  Maybe I'll do some fan art of that.  Does she have a funny name? 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 10:50:06 pm by AceSV »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 02, 2016, 12:41:17 am »

I made an album of some screen shots of the bunny bard.

Her name is Drect, and she plays what is essentially a glass violin (she's an expert musician). She used to love drinking, but, as she's deteriorated in isolation from the rest of her kind, the wine only has a numbing effect on her these days. She came wearing novachalcum bracers and some metal anklets and sashes, but now she also wears a pair of oversized rope reed trousers she took from a human caravan guard. On her sober days she moonlights as an archer in the fortress guard, sniping keas that try to raid the battlefield full of loot from failed sieges.

Edit: Apparently she was kidnapped by formicians at the age of 2, and raised by them. Her real parents, who were also baby snatchers, died when she was three, killed by a titan. Growing up in exile, she finally escaped the formician hive that stole her and arrived at a pandamon town, where she found a pandamon master who presumably trained her in the bardic tradition. In both cities she was the only lagomer mentioned. She then set out on her own, possibly in search of the people she had never known.

Edit2: Now she's wearing a human red head veil like a belly dancer.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 05:08:01 am by darkflagrance »

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 02, 2016, 08:20:41 am »

I made an album of some screen shots of the bunny bard.

Her name is Drect, and she plays what is essentially a glass violin (she's an expert musician). She used to love drinking, but, as she's deteriorated in isolation from the rest of her kind, the wine only has a numbing effect on her these days. She came wearing novachalcum bracers and some metal anklets and sashes, but now she also wears a pair of oversized rope reed trousers she took from a human caravan guard. On her sober days she moonlights as an archer in the fortress guard, sniping keas that try to raid the battlefield full of loot from failed sieges.

Edit: Apparently she was kidnapped by formicians at the age of 2, and raised by them. Her real parents, who were also baby snatchers, died when she was three, killed by a titan. Growing up in exile, she finally escaped the formician hive that stole her and arrived at a pandamon town, where she found a pandamon master who presumably trained her in the bardic tradition. In both cities she was the only lagomer mentioned. She then set out on her own, possibly in search of the people she had never known.

Edit2: Now she's wearing a human red head veil like a belly dancer.

Awesome, I love it.  The lives of DF characters can be so fascinating. 

So, the default critter people size is 65kcm3, whereas dwarves are 60k, and humans are 70k.  Apparently 65k people can wear clothing designed for 60k or 70k sized people as well.  So she wouldn't look quite as ridiculous in human sized clothing as a dwarf would.  It also means she's taller than your dwarf population.  However, pandamons, sharkopaths and leokin are 80k.  The hejian instrument sounds like a pandamon word, so it might be violin sized to a pandamon but guitar sized to Dract. 

Artwork forthcoming. 

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 02, 2016, 12:36:46 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11