Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Help me plan an adventure for DnD newbies!  (Read 4125 times)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help me plan an adventure for DnD newbies!
« on: September 19, 2013, 07:38:23 pm »

There's a Gamers' Club at my high school, and we're starting a game (or several games, rather) of DnD, but nobody there really knows how to play. Which means I get the job of showing fifteen people the ropes in a short little adventure through character creation and a little dungeon!

Teaching them how to play isn't a problem in the slightest, but I want to make sure the intro adventure gets them actually involved and having fun, so I thought it'd be a good idea to ask all of you about DMig tips and adventures you've played in the past that would be good for new players.

My current plan is just to run a fairly generic dungeon that gives as many opportunities for skill checks and roleplaying as I can fit in amidst a few combat encounters. I'm fairly inexperienced as a DM, so any advice would be appreciated!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: Help me plan an adventure for DnD newbies!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 07:45:28 pm »

There's a Gamers' Club at my high school, and we're starting a game (or several games, rather) of DnD, but nobody there really knows how to play. Which means I get the job of showing fifteen people the ropes in a short little adventure through character creation and a little dungeon!

Teaching them how to play isn't a problem in the slightest, but I want to make sure the intro adventure gets them actually involved and having fun, so I thought it'd be a good idea to ask all of you about DMig tips and adventures you've played in the past that would be good for new players.

My current plan is just to run a fairly generic dungeon that gives as many opportunities for skill checks and roleplaying as I can fit in amidst a few combat encounters. I'm fairly inexperienced as a DM, so any advice would be appreciated!

Introduce a really good antagonist in the first dungeon. Some guy shows up, kills the boss before you, steals your treasure, laughs, and teleports out. Everyone hates that guy with a burning passion, since he stole from them and was smug about it, and they will go to hell and back trying to give him his comeuppance. Those sorts of objectives make you want to play because you have an objective; settle the score.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 08:08:48 pm »

You can get the party to do ANYTHNG you want exactly ones.  Steal from them.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 08:38:18 pm »

Fifteen people in a single adventure? That's a lot of people to be managing--

First thing I'd do would be to split them into multiple teams. Maybe send half of them down a pitfall trap at the start and have them work cooperatively to reach The Loot.

"Hey look, there's a lever. What does it do? *flip*"
"OH GOD, THE CEILING."
"Did you hear a weird echo? Lets try that again."

Alternatively, they could realize that BOTH paths are viable and try to kill each other so they don't have to share, but that's not good for establishing games in the future.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 10:13:28 pm »

15 people is a lot to try and keep engaged.

It pretty much makes everything take longer, combat especially.

Try to keep your activities to something the group as a whole can respond to. Combat seems like the obvious solution but these guys don't know anything...and you can take advantage of that.

If they're all level 1, throwing something like a gelatinous cube moving down the hallway at them is something the whole group has to think about. Think threats that they can't just shoot at, but not something so horrible it (reasonably) just starts trying to kill them. Traps are great for this. Puzzles with solutions that must be spoken aloud (lots of classic logic puzzles out there.) Environmental hazards that require groupthink to solve are great too.

Capturing and/or robbing the players of all their goods isn't something I'd recommend. What gets players engaged in roleplaying games is having affect, and taking that away from them by making them prisoners or stripping them of their gear can ruin some people's fun (others may view it as a challenge to be overcome.)

As for how dangerous you choose to make it.....there's a couple schools of thought on it. One is that player death is best avoided unless it's unavoidable. You fudge things so people don't get one shot in the first 5 minutes. This tends to hold true for smaller, more intimate groups. Another is that you pose medium challenges and let the dice fall where they may. This tends to go for larger groups. The last is that you make encounters actively hostile, that every combat is potentially lethal. This tends to work for really large groups because only the threat of outright death is enough to rise above the noise, distractions and tedium of 15 people taking their turns, discussing, figure things out, ect.....this is typically what you see at gaming cons where GMs will invite random people to come play at their game.

Another alternative you might consider is instead of a typical dungeon crawl, you stick to a handful of scenes with a lot of stuff going on in them. A town square under attack. At the center of a large battle. A mansion with not too many rooms in it. Narratively it require some different thinking (it doesn't have the "And then...." pacing of dungeons) but I've seen it done well by GMs (fights are often run this way with larger groups.)

And don't let yourself get bogged down interacting with one or two people. You always have to gauge players and how they approach things, some tend to be wall flowers (probably the majority actually), and some will monopolize the GMs attention (usually people playing Thieves, sneaky types or social characters.) You should probably have the group try and settle on a leader to speak for them. (Or appoint someone you think will be engaged enough to speak for everyone.) It can help speed up decision making and at worst puts the responsibility on someone for deciding what to do.

If you see people struggling, try to give them examples of what they can do. Keep it as simple and flavorful as possible (You could bash that orc in the face, you could use your rope to climb the wall, you could cast a spell to blind them.) Some people are not good with their imaginations or with visualizing the scene and it can lead to paralysis when their turn comes around.

Also feel free to set some ground rules for the game to keep yourself sane: like please no youtube. It will be pretty much impossible to clamp down on table talk with that many people, just remember to not let it go too long or get too loud and off course.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 10:15:09 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 10:16:43 pm »

15 is insane and the system isn't really build to handle that many. You will be seeing a lot of deaths.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 11:13:10 pm »

Introduce a really good antagonist in the first dungeon. Some guy shows up, kills the boss before you, steals your treasure, laughs, and teleports out. Everyone hates that guy with a burning passion, since he stole from them and was smug about it, and they will go to hell and back trying to give him his comeuppance. Those sorts of objectives make you want to play because you have an objective; settle the score.
... That is an amazing idea...

I am so stealing it.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 11:32:48 pm »

As others have said 15 people are far too many to run in a single game, it becomes almost impossible to balance encounters and sheer numbers will see combat being bogged down. Split it into 2-3 groups and try and see if any of them would be interested and willing to become a DM for one of the groups, possibly being a player in another group if you can arrange for games on different days.

One idea that may be helpful and enables you to shuffle players between groups if there are any conflicts between players or their preferred play-styles is to have all of the players characters as members of an adventurers guild/mercenary outfit that hires out groups to deal with the typical adventuring jobs. As long as the GM's discuss their plans and keep things consistent, this also allows you to pull off plots where each group functions in different areas and roles but contribute to an overarching mission. We did this with our university's RPG club and ended up with three groups, one who focused more on roleplay interaction, social and non/low combat missions, one group of hack and slashers who focused mostly on pure combat missions and a third more balanced group who tended to run into the really weird stuff. It also allows for you to run occasional larger events where more than one party is involved at once.

Having an antagonist pulling a Belloq, as long as it doesn't happen too often, is a great way of motivating a party in a particular direction.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 11:46:00 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions and tips! I know fifteen is an absurdly large group, but I only have to keep them moving for two sessions or so before they get the hang of things and I can split them into smaller groups to be DMed by myself and two other people who are interested in DMing.

Having an antagonist pulling a Belloq, as long as it doesn't happen too often, is a great way of motivating a party in a particular direction.

That would be a good plot instigator; I think I'll save that until I'm running a longer campaign with one of the split groups, though. :D

15 is insane

Yep. Good thing I'm a native of Bay12.

If they're all level 1, throwing something like a gelatinous cube moving down the hallway at them is something the whole group has to think about. Think threats that they can't just shoot at, but not something so horrible it (reasonably) just starts trying to kill them. Traps are great for this. Puzzles with solutions that must be spoken aloud (lots of classic logic puzzles out there.) Environmental hazards that require groupthink to solve are great too.

I think I'm going to try to put more of this in game than raw combat. I think more of the group would have fun with that than hours of just rolling dice to attack.

Thanks for all the other pieces of advice too, Nenjin. I really appreciate it. :)

First thing I'd do would be to split them into multiple teams. Maybe send half of them down a pitfall trap at the start and have them work cooperatively to reach The Loot.

"Hey look, there's a lever. What does it do? *flip*"
"OH GOD, THE CEILING."
"Did you hear a weird echo? Lets try that again."

This idea. I like it. I like it a lot. /evilDM

What exactly do you mean by this? I'm guessing it doesn't mean rifle through the players' wallets.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 11:48:50 pm »

Sometimes, you don't even have to do that.
I've seen one time where there was an enemy that walked up and attacked the party, and during the fight, used his shield to block a spell, which wasn't normally possible within the rules of the system. He then teleported away. Cue the party going to heck and back in order to rob the guy of his shield.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 11:52:06 pm »

What exactly do you mean by this? I'm guessing it doesn't mean rifle through the players' wallets.

Have an enemy steal some of the party's possessions and they will, to a man, vote to hunt that sumbitch down and stab him in the face.

You can only get away with it once, though, before it becomes rote.
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 11:53:50 pm »

Have an enemy steal some of the party's possessions and they will, to a man, vote to hunt that sumbitch down and stab him in the face.

You can only get away with it once, though, before it becomes rote.

Oh, I getcha now.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 12:01:40 am »

Anything more than 8 players is pretty much impossible to run- if NONE of them have played DND before, demo one sessions with a party of eight, or have them tag team. Don't put 15 people and an appropriate number of monsters for them to fight on the field at once, you will be spending half an hour every round of combat, and people will all be vying for the spotlight out of combat. Once they get the ropes, or if some of them have played DND before, get some more of them to DM and have them run their own campaigns.

Since you're with a large group and trying to impress them, you'll want to streamline as much as possible. Pre-roll ALL your treasure, and maybe pre-calculate XP. Have character sheets ready for them to play, even if you intend to have most people build their own. I'd say demo them a dungeon with a short role-playing info, two encounters at their CR, a trap and/or puzzle room, and a boss two or three CRs higher than them*. If you don't intend to keep using the characters from your first session, throw them something really useful they can use at them before they hit the boss, like a powerful magic weapon or staff. I also highly recommend starting them at level 2 or 3, so they can take a few hits. Also, even though you normally never level up in one session, you might want to arbitrarily give them enough XP to level them up once, so they can really feel like they accomplished something in your one demo session.

One setup I did that I thought worked well, was to have the players start in a tavern, and the barkeep asks them to fetch some special wine from the cellar. A will save told players that something was suspicious or illusionary about the tavern. The cellar of course was actually a dungeon, where they fought a bunch of weak zombies as one encounter, a couple barghests (my party was 8 lvl 3 characters) in the next room, and then they entered a treasure room complete with the wine, where a gargoyle attacks them when they take the wine. Upon returning to the "tavern" they find themselves to have been in a mausoleum, and there's a wraith floating over a coffin with the bartender's name on it (make sure to establish the bartender's name). Pouring the wine over the coffin caused the wraith to disappear, or if the party's just jackasses they can fight the wraith.

Another interesting one-off dungeon would be to have the dungeon be a spectator sport where the party races through- which gives you an easy excuse to have arbitrary traps and monsters, as well as go easy on them by having spectators (either through grated windows, or grates above) offer advice, or selling healing potions mid-dungeon. This could also easily allow you to throw in a rival party and establish them as the villains. But the big advantage to this is you can throw in whatever obstacles you want with no rhyme or reason; someone put them there so it would be fun to watch the party go through!

A note on Challenge Ratings: As much as possible, don't try to account for a large party by throwing in harder CRs. Monsters CRs are designed for a party of 4, so for 8 people, you should try to throw double the number of monsters at them. When you throw one big monster in, it tends to hit one player really hard, and make other players fail to do anything to the monster on their turn and feel useless. I had a DM who did that, and as a cleric, enemies never failed my spell saves so my spells were mostly useless until I got Searing Light. Normally, doubling the number of enemies increases CR by 2, but for a large party, just double them first (or use one enemy and one weaker enemy to one-and-a-half the encounter) Also, as a general rule, encounters with a level equal to the party+4 are exactly as strong as the party- for example, a clone of the party would be a CR four levels higher than the party. Since the party is multiple people, this pretty much means that even in victory some of them are going to die- don't do that to your new players. Typically, a CR+3 is plenty for a "hard" encounter, or a CR+2 if the party has already been through a few encounters.

...well, there's my wall of text, I hope you find it useful. :P
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 12:05:52 am by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 12:05:22 am »

So everyone here has seen Counter Monkey then?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 05:05:16 am »

So everyone here has seen Counter Monkey then?
Of course :P.
Pages: [1] 2 3