Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 379

Author Topic: Pantheon: A Game inspired by Godhood OOC and Application Thread  (Read 400169 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Re: Pantheon: A Game inspired by Godhood OOC and Application Thread
« Reply #5580 on: April 10, 2013, 04:57:17 pm »

i always found writing as a hivemind was best when somebody used: we for I, We for a local cluster of several consciousnesses and WE for the entire hivemind.

the different capitalizations signifying the volume of the speaker. since we was only one being inside the swam the mind voice would be significantly less loud, while a chorus of thousands of voices would be extremely loud thus WE.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 04:58:50 pm by Ghazkull »

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5581 on: April 10, 2013, 05:01:20 pm »

Exactly!

I'm gonna get the cure for the Evolved! Don't want the planet overtaken by a parasitic invasion do I?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5582 on: April 10, 2013, 05:28:03 pm »

Hold on, Ghaz.
You saw that Elf had made other arrangements for Corvus, so why did you just kill him off?
I had such plans...

I'd also like to thank the Catalyst for taking on some of the burden of "accidentally multicidal power" which has gone unsupported since Neyravah's murder.

Eeeeyup. Worshippers as a whole are kinda dicks.
They're better than many non-worshipers, though.

As to hivemind pronouns: I advise I for the mind, We for the hive.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5583 on: April 10, 2013, 05:39:27 pm »

Turn is up! Time to leave the Illuminated back to their own devices!

Let's see the crystals turn Desert into mini Meadow/Forest/Swamp/Ect.
Mini ecosystems to support Small amounts of life!

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5584 on: April 10, 2013, 05:42:27 pm »

i always found writing as a hivemind was best when somebody used: we for I, We for a local cluster of several consciousnesses and WE for the entire hivemind.

the different capitalizations signifying the volume of the speaker. since we was only one being inside the swam the mind voice would be significantly less loud, while a chorus of thousands of voices would be extremely loud thus WE.

I might try that.  Haven't had much experience writing from the Hivemind perspective thus far.  Just kind of figured it would see words like "I" and "We" as interchangeable due to the nature of sharing one mind.  You don't refer to yourself as "We" just because you are made up of multiple cells (I assume).  The only real reason for referring to itself as "We" would be due to not understanding this difference when communicating with normal people.  The Catalyst (me) would initially think of things that way but after seeing that parts of it can separate, it would feel confused and realize it doesn't even understand the way its own "body" works.  Should be fun RPing the next few turns as the Catalyst gets increasing desperate to reassert control over what it considers its own body.

Exactly!

I'm gonna get the cure for the Evolved! Don't want the planet overtaken by a parasitic invasion do I?

Not quite sure what your exact intentions are but let me just clarify a few things for the Catalyst.

Right now the Catalyst is primarily an opportunistic feeder.  It goes after weaker or undefended life forms because they are easy prey and it can make them and itself stronger by infecting them.  If you or anyone else actively tries to eliminate the Catalyst, it will cease to be an opportunistic feeder and just try to completely consume the offensive parties.

The Catalyst is also currently very agitated because it realized it doesn't actually have complete control over itself.  This raises the question of what is the "Hivemind" compared to what is the "Catalyst," because apparently Catalyst organisms do not need to be part of the Hivemind.

In conclusion, the Catalyst won't care too much if you try and eliminate some of the infected that aren't part of the Hivemind.  However if you actually go out of your way to kill Catalyst organisms that are part of the Hivemind without any provocation, it is likely the Catalyst will respond by trying to eat you and your followers.

On the other hand, the Catalyst is open to professional cooperation and alliances.  Didn't work out so far with Feros but I intend to make up for that.  Anyway, my character really doesn't have any reason yet to dislike any of the other characters but if it does it'll be all out war until either it dies or the enemy dies.

Hold on, Ghaz.
You saw that Elf had made other arrangements for Corvus, so why did you just kill him off?
I had such plans...

I'd also like to thank the Catalyst for taking on some of the burden of "accidentally multicidal power" which has gone unsupported since Neyravah's murder.

Eeeeyup. Worshippers as a whole are kinda dicks.
They're better than many non-worshipers, though.

As to hivemind pronouns: I advise I for the mind, We for the hive.

Accidental multicidal power?  Not really sure what you mean by that... but your welcome I guess.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5585 on: April 10, 2013, 05:49:05 pm »

Accidental--Not on purpose
Multicidal--Kills a lot of people
Power--Godlike being
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5586 on: April 10, 2013, 05:49:34 pm »

I believe GW's referring to the fact that everything Neyravah did went wrong.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5587 on: April 10, 2013, 05:49:44 pm »

Not killing, just larvae removal, and cleansing.

Can't wait till Shard Cannons, to turn things into babies...

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5588 on: April 10, 2013, 06:00:04 pm »

Just a few queries.

1. Could you edit in the Liches to the bestiary?
2. What is 'High Technology"? I assume it means a form of tech that cannot be equated with real historical eras. AKA Magitek?
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5589 on: April 10, 2013, 06:18:53 pm »

Power--Godlike being

I know the definitions and was aware that it was connected to your previous character's poor dice rolls miscommunication with the mortals.  I just wasn't sure if you were saying that you were glad I accidentally killed a lot of people and that it made you feel better about not being the only being to destroy what he/she was trying to help.

Luckily the Catalyst doesn't really care too much about helping others.  It cares about consuming things, getting bigger, becoming stronger, learning new things, evolving and keeping its word.  The last of those things will likely result in my character trying to make amends with Feros but other than that no big deal.  I'll probably just spend the next few turns trying to clean up my mess, learn from my mistakes and grow stronger from it.
Sure thing peanut man!

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: April 10, 2013, 06:29:28 pm »

Great post, don't know why you apologise for quality, however it appears that you forgot my Nagashor, but thats a minor complaint
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5591 on: April 10, 2013, 06:48:32 pm »

I believe GW's referring to the fact that everything Neyravah did went wrong.
Not quite everything...

Power--Godlike being
I know the definitions and was aware that it was connected to your previous character's poor dice rolls miscommunication with the mortals.  I just wasn't sure if you were saying that you were glad I accidentally killed a lot of people and that it made you feel better about not being the only being to destroy what he/she was trying to help.
That does sound a lot worse than I imagined.

Luckily the Catalyst doesn't really care too much about helping others.  It cares about consuming things, getting bigger, becoming stronger, learning new things, evolving and keeping its word.  The last of those things will likely result in my character trying to make amends with Feros but other than that no big deal.  I'll probably just spend the next few turns trying to clean up my mess, learn from my mistakes and grow stronger from it.
...Good?
Sig

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5592 on: April 10, 2013, 07:00:48 pm »

...Good?

*Shrugs*  Attempted Nice Guy Traurig was burned alive trying to get to the Spire.  Attempted Nice Guy Nelkathar was eaten alive trying to get to the spire.  Attempted Nice Guy/Gal Neyravah was killed by the same people it intended to help.  Nice Guy Corvus was consumed from the inside by Aldemas who Corvus had killed unintentionally...

I could probably go on with more examples but I won't.  The Catalyst is my intended embodiment of evolution.  Attempted nice guys have for the most part suffered for it so far.  That means for survival and evolution purposes, the Catalyst must be primarily self serving if it wants to thrive.  The most advantageous traits the Catalyst observes are those that it will incorporate into its personality.
Sure thing peanut man!

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: April 10, 2013, 07:18:40 pm »

...Good?

*Shrugs*  Attempted Nice Guy Traurig was burned alive trying to get to the Spire.  Attempted Nice Guy Nelkathar was eaten alive trying to get to the spire.  Attempted Nice Guy/Gal Neyravah was killed by the same people it intended to help.  Nice Guy Corvus was consumed from the inside by Aldemas who Corvus had killed unintentionally...

I could probably go on with more examples but I won't.  The Catalyst is my intended embodiment of evolution.  Attempted nice guys have for the most part suffered for it so far.  That means for survival and evolution purposes, the Catalyst must be primarily self serving if it wants to thrive.  The most advantageous traits the Catalyst observes are those that it will incorporate into its personality.

More like the Spire was a prevalent theme in your examples and happens to be an extreme case of an Elder God you'd not want to try and sneak power away from. It is not like the average player character is half as genocidal as the phoenix, just look at the plummeting player death count. Has any player character even died since then?

Saying that a character died for being too nice while prodding the Necronomicon with a stick does not make for a very convincing argument.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5594 on: April 10, 2013, 07:31:08 pm »

...Good?

In that case the Catalyst has to overcome the ultimate evolutionary being if it wants to thrive on my planet -a dwarf who ascended.
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 379