Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 61

Author Topic: Pantheon Play Thread: In the beginning there was...  (Read 83899 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pantheon Play Thread: In the beginning there was...
« Reply #855 on: March 20, 2013, 06:20:23 pm »

Gren felt his shoulders sag.  He had known how this would end from its start.  Still, nobody could say he had not tried.  He addressed the Council of Three.

"Well, my brothers, you have the answers of the gods.  All will stand apart out of respect to the Father, save Udil-Volondor and Vanidia, who are unwilling to agree to these terms.  Your decision on how to respond to this is entirely yours; I have done what I can for peace.

"Udil accuses me of using you for my own power and ambition.  I make no secret that I need your aid to destroy the threat I spoke of before, but my ambitions are not for my own sake.  Even so, if you believe that this is so, if you believe that I have made pawns of you, you need only ask me to leave.  I cannot take the Homunculi with me, save those three that answer to myself, for they are bound to your lives and will respond to your commands.  I cannot take Spireright or the loyalty of the karas kingdoms.  All I should take is myself, what is mine, and those who might follow of their own free volition.

"If you feel you must war, my oath to you binds me to you until you release it.  You have always treated me well, brothers, and I have no cause to break it as I once did with Udil.  But I hold that I have done all I can for peace, and if you feel I would be an obstruction I will understand."
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: March 21, 2013, 04:35:38 am »

On the Corvid Moon...

A crowborn walked among the stone halls, glancing around at it's surroundings as it went.
Click clack click
His claws ticked and clicked upon the smooth stone of the floor as he walked onward, the shimmering light of the outside shining in through the long, slitted windows.
Click
It was a secluded part of Ravenas that Ruka walked in, but the rest of his order were anxious to know the truth behind the Crow's comings and goings. Corvus rarely came out of his chambers deep withing Ravenas nowadays. Instead he and the Unknown consulted, plied, and worried over secret matters as the Crowborn waited for news, curious. But as days turned to months, they became impatient, and eventually one of their own was sent: Ruka. He supposed he deserved it, what with that stunt he'd pulled with old Malkus in the Southerly WingUp Library last decade, but he still felt the sting of discrimination for that. What would happen to him here, now that he was away from all his fellows?
Clack
At last he reached his destination. A set of massive doors loomed before him in the strange half-twilight, doors of stone, half in shadow, as though a painter had carelessly thrown a blotch of black paint over half of the doors. They had images of crows at the top, so far above his head, looking down upon a world of chaos: a great snake coiled about a towering fgure with a hammer in hand while a hideous figure crept up behind, dagger in hand. A spiteful face floated above this dwarf, seeming to urge him on. All around them the land was aflame and strange bodies lay scatterd over the ground. Gulping, he tentatively put out a gnarled hand and tapped the edge of a door. It swung open amazingly easy, as though opened from within. Ruka saw withing only blackness, the floor receding into it. He shuffled inward, though reluctantly.
As he proceeded down the darkened hallway, he saw a candle sitting upon a siding, already lit. Taking it, he continued to walk down the corridor. Eventually, he reached a door that to his vision was more warded than any he had seen in his life, covered with intricate interlocking pieces of light, each needing to be filled with an obscure fact. in order to pass. He gulped, and leaned forward before saying the words the elder had taught him, and watched as the wards registered this. As one, they went out with a suddenness that startled him, making him drop the candle. It sputtered as it went out and he was left in total darkness. Groping forward, his leathery palm met with the door, and pushed forward ever so slightly.
The door opened and Ruka beheld a world of horror.
The Crow, Corvus, the father of their race, normally so fastidiously neat, infallible, and always humorous, was now engaged in a fearsome battle with a humanoid figure of light of some kind. He could not see much against the glare, but he saw from the shadows playing out against the chamber that they were linked by some kind of bond. The Crow and the horrifying figure writhed as they sought to pull away from one another, only for the figure to leap atop Corvus and seemingly attempt to pull Corus into it's body, and it's luminescence grew. But the Crow was not done yet, and with a mighty ruuuk he leapt and grabbed his cowl before pulling it tight around himself, snuffing out the creature's light. When he unwound it, he was looking directly at Ruka.

"Ruka. You have come on the behalf of your bretheren." It was not a question; the Crow knew all. He replied, "Yes, my lord, and -"
"Tell them when you return that I will be out shortly, one way or another. Now go; I must replenish my strength before he comes again."
"Yes, lord, only I thought, well, you know already my query: I must know. What happened at this godsmeet you and the Unknown went off to? Is this the cause of your ... condition? Is there anything we might do to aid you? What happened at the godsmeet to make you like this?"
((Over to you, EC.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: March 21, 2013, 10:43:35 am »

Corvus coughed up more ichor, wheezing and breathing heavily, before clutching his staff and looking up at Ruka.

He coughed some more, splattering ichor on the floor, gripping his staff hard. He finally mustered the strength to look up at Ruka, and wiped the ichor from his beak, his voice hoarse and tired.

"I was demonised by the Dwarf, as typical. A conqueror degrading his enemies as demons and warped spirits of chaos. The Dwarf has few allies, but much influence. I fear he will rule the world.

No, it is not the cause of my ails. It is a deeper, more ancient battle, one which you, my sons never saw. Aldemas, the Shade, has returned, as the Illuminator, and he is trying to assimilate me.

The only thing you may do is pray for me, and make no sacrifices, for he will gain power through it. I am weak enough.

He is winning, my son. I do not think I will live on.

So, I ask you one thing, Ruka. When I die, you will lead the Crowborn, and listen to Fatianna. You must guide Aur-Sha, Daughter of the Serpent, and fulfil my promises to her.

You are the heir to the Throne of Knowledge, should I die, and if you die...then bequeath it to Fatianna. She will know what to do.

I also bequeath to you the Staff of Crows, to be delivered to you upon my death or assimilation. Do what you will with it.

Knowledge must be preserved, if not for the misguided now, then the future who will believe the tragedy that is my existence.

Am I clear, my son?"
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 11:01:05 am by IamanElfCollaborator »

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: March 21, 2013, 11:19:03 am »

Aldemas felt a surge of divine essence flow through his form. The silly crow, Corvus must not have kept his promise regarding the weakening of their Bond. He was now powerful. His vey being filled by the Energies of Corvus. He knew  now how to defeat his enemy, and he never even had to come into direct contact with the Fool! He uses the energies from the strengthening to ensure the creation of the Luminescents.
Same action, ensure the Luminescents live on!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: March 21, 2013, 01:26:34 pm »

After finishing the conversation, Magnus sets to enchanting the planetoid. Purple energies surround it, transmuting the dust and rock into small gemstones of varying shape, color and size. Energy crackles around the edges, giving the meteroid a soft purple glow and a magnificent glowing tail.

These cosmetical changes were only representative of the larger changes that happened inside. Magnus attached multiple spells to the meteroid, the exact working of which clouded by their sheer interlocking complexity and number. Aside from the obvious spells that allow the gems to unlock a persons magical capabilites, there's a few simple storage spells, and then a more complex set of mind enhancing spells and a recording of this meeting. After all, Magnus was not letting just anyone mess around with magic, for he knew that was too dangerous.

Instead, he made the rock alter the perception of those who used it. It would alter all that they saw, heard and thought to motivate them to study the magical arts, and respect him. He knew that these spells were not within danger, that they might cause people to go insane, but that was a cost he was willing to accept to ensure his own safety.

After his work was completed, he send the enchanted planetoid, now more similair to a comet, through time and space. It's first stop was Despair, were it would fly through the spiders ring, barely touching the planet's athmosphere, yet still enough to bring down a magnificent meteor shower of enchanted rock. After having dissappeared from it's skies, the comet would set course for the next most important planet, and so on, only returning to great Despair every 42 years.

1 MA:
      -Magically enchant a planetoid, and send it through a journey through space, towards Despair and other planets.
      -The comet, will, as happens with all other comet's, gradually loose mass. These will drop down on the planets it visits.
      -Possesion of a piece of this meteroid will grant a person the ability to use magic*.
      -The stones contain impressions of these, and probably other meetings.
      -Perception of the above and real life events will be altered on a person by person basis to ensure the use of the stones, as well as imbue a certain respect for Magnus.
      -Presence of the Comet boosts the gems in the area, significantly increasing their effects but also the stored amoung of magic.

*Magic derived from the essence of this person, and the energy stored in the stone. Stored energy is gathered from natural background magic. Excessive use will cause death of user.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: March 21, 2013, 01:27:32 pm »

Around the Voidguard

It had taken the Fleet not so much as a day to devour the gods essence. The Mothership of the fleet turns towards where the rift was closed and fires a single brilliantly blue beam at it, slowly cutting it back open with the precision of a surgeon. Behind it, no more gods. Having opened the rift wide enough to allow entrance for a similiar sized ship, the beam turns off. From the opened rift dozens of the smaller ships pour through followed by two more Motherships. Once they are through the rift is closed again and the fleet vanishes, reappearing somewhere at the Edge of the Galaxy.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: March 21, 2013, 02:58:57 pm »

"My lord, but what if you should triumph against this foe? What then? It was obviously not you that caused this ... this parasite to come to you and to ... to drain you. What did this?"
Sig! Onol

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: March 21, 2013, 03:01:07 pm »

"I suspect Vanida, the Whore, the Hypocrite to have done so. Indeed, she had reason and power.

I will not win, Ruka. I am too old and too battered by this world to. If I do, then I will use it to protect you all and allow me to rest once in this forsaken worl-"

Corvus was interrupted by another coughing fit.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: March 21, 2013, 03:20:08 pm »

Ruka seized his chance at this point.
"But you are a god. You are not affected by the passage of time as we are, and you have strength beyond our imaginings. If you will not use it, then it is sure you will fail. But if you succeed, what then? You must do something.
It seems to me that you are experiencing a territory push: the gods of Despair want what you have, or they want you gone, whatever the cause, they see you as weak, and you know as well as I do that the one way for a predator to be convinced to back off from it's meal is to be convinced that it is not worth the effort. You must show them your strength, and only then will they quit this hassling of you.

My brothers and I will support you in any way possible, but you must fight back! You must. You are the father of our race; I kow not what we would do without you."
Sig! Onol

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: March 21, 2013, 03:28:05 pm »

"I have proven my strength by aiding in the slaying of Aodun and your creation.

Nonetheless, they presume I am weak. Perhaps I am.

But it will have to be proven otherwise."

And the Crow stopped coughing.

"But you have renewed my faith in this world, even if just for now. My fate may well be assured....but I will not go out without a fight.

Ruka, I trust to you to guide the Crowborn, if I fall. You are strong and iron-willed. A good quality in a ruler.

For now...I must contemplate. I have to consider whether it is worth it trying to break the link that the Leech placed on me with power which he may use against me. Luck is not on my side.

These predators assail me, knowing I have many connections and much influence. They know that they will suffer greatly...nonetheless they are not driven by hunger, but by blind hate. I am unable to comprehend such anger, and so I will not attempt to.

Leave me to contemplate, my son. Remember the burden that I have placed upon you. You are the heir to the Sphere of Knowledge, and I urge you to claim it should I fall."

The Crow stood up, weakly and somewhat trembling, but opened a door that Ruka had not noticed in the dark.

It was a balcony, overlooking Ravenas, and Corvus overlooked the city, in deep thought.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: March 21, 2013, 03:32:44 pm »

"Yes, my lord, but for now, I think we may be able to help you in this endeavor. We are not dimwitted, after all you made us, and we may be able to help you sever the bond. I will go to my kinsmen and try to develop a way. After all, if we d not help you in your hour of need, then we are not deserving of you giving us ours."
With that, Ruka left, flying swiftly, with determination and purpose. He would tell his kinsmen that their benefactor needed their help.
They would be only too happy to oblige.

Ruka goes amongst the Crowborn and leads them on a study to develop a device that can weaken or break the bond between Corvus and Aldemas.
Sig! Onol

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: March 21, 2013, 03:38:33 pm »

Corvus gripped his cane.

"He is fairly determined. Perhaps I am correct in leaving my lands to him should I fall.

But Aldemas must be separated from me. I cannot destroy him nor act against him without dying myself, and no other god may interfere in this battle. I will not win..

...but Aldemas will have to deal with me driving him to the edge of sanity, and may well have to fight for my essence.

This is MY body, and MY essence. The Shade tried to kill me and so died. His time is past.

I will not let the Shade take mine away."

Corvus resolved.

If he was truly to die, then Aldemas would join him. If he wasn't, then he would destroy the link and become the Crow as he had been in a bygone age, when the world wasn't pitted against him and he had not felt so utterly alone or defeated.

He was Corvus, and if they wanted to kill him, they would need to fight for their pleasure of seeing him beg.

They would have to fight for it, as Corvus had for the right to live. And he would fight for that right to the last drop of ichor in his body.

"I earned the right to live in this forsaken world. Udil be DAMNED if he tries to take that away; Vanida and Aldemas be damned with him

I will not BOW to anyone, least of all my would-be killers. And I will be damned if they kill me without a fight!"
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 03:50:20 pm by IamanElfCollaborator »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: March 22, 2013, 12:37:15 am »

Lo watched the Lord of Magic work his art. Beautiful craft and great power bestowed...

She saw the gemstones, the careful enchants, the laying of runes and the saying of spells. Magic was a beautiful art Lo had never...gotten the hang of. She preferred her followers to do so in her stead.

As Magnus finished his work and left for the ethers, Lo stayed awhile on the comet, appreciating it's majesty. She walked and swam in its magical heat, feeling the flames and tendrils of mana. It was like...like...ambrosia. No, better. This had power. She simply could not resist it's...radiance, it's beauty, it's colour...it's divine passion.

TeEakeF it. DevourR it. UseUS it. Empower Us.

That voice...was not Lo. It did not sound like Lo. It did not feel like Lo. It felt...rough and bestial.

WHO DARES INVADE OUR MIND?! REVEAL! REVEAL! WHO DARES. WHO DARES. WHO DARES. WHO DARES. WHO BY SOLARIS-MAJOR TAKE OUR MINDS?!

Nothing answered, nothing spoke. Was she going mad? Madder? She was not sure. She would need to tread lightly. Perhaps she had been working too hard? Too little?

Regardless, she needed to leave this place. The ethereal mana was affecting her mind. As she prepared to blink back to the Tutelaspera, she made a quick decision to take a small chunk of the comet back with her; the whole comet would arrive at Despair soon enough, why not give her followers a small advantage? Why not indeed?

---

Arriving back at the Tutelaspera, she was informed that the dwarf Gren had called a meeting of the gods and giants at Eversummer. She had missed the whole affair. Had she really been away for so long? It had felt like only an hour or so to her. Perhaps she was losing herself. Perhaps her madness was only growing. What next, eight minds in this head? It's crowded enough. Perhaps she should stop worrying.

The meeting resulted in being classically split by pantheon lines. Corvus and the rest of the Guardians had more or less supported the giants' proposal: Eversummer was not to be touched by the direct force of the gods. Vanida and Udil-Volondor on the other hand had refused. She could see where this was going. The Couple, if not prevented, would try to institute a divine rule over Despair, believing their divine power enough right to rules mortals. If the Guardians were not prevented, then the current status quo would continue, with Despair being split into competing nations and denominations. A third side, that of the Giants, would result in mortal-secular-rule. That would be the ultimate setting for natural improvement...but would sap her own abilities.

Lo would not tip the scales in any direction just yet. She was not yet sure of the full consequences of any of those future. Instead, she would continue with her Improvements.

---

Over the centuries, she had found worshipers amongst the Crowborn, the Dwarves and the Humans. None fully understood Lo's purpose and goals. Those dwarves and humans who had taken to worshiping her saw Lo as a death goddess. In their misguided beliefs, they saw Lo as the spirit of death who ended lives so as to let others live. They thought by starving and self-flagellation, they earned her protection. Furthermore, she did this via plagues, murder, war and other negative acts. While it was true that she did condone such things, it would not be prudent for her to devote all her time to such activities.

The Crowborn on the other hand wisely saw Lo as the Improver still...but their method of improvement was...unsatisfactory. They were mystics; not at all pragmatic. They cloistered themselves in monasteries and recluses, praying and fasting. They thought that by leading ascetic lives, the Improver would grant them improvements. She sighed at such a belief. Lo helped those who were willing to help themselves.

Regardless, she would help both of these wayward sects, and she would do so while keeping their local beliefs intact; if she broke them, she would lose followers. She sent forward her simulacrums and began her work.

---
As her heretical believers worked, slept, ate and meditated, her very form suddenly appeared in each of their minds and consumed their thoughts. Many cried out in surprise, others leaped out into the air horrified, and yet others knelt down in praise. The Goddess Was With Them.

Her images spoke.

"My followers, my children, my apostles and my kin. I have watched all of you from afar. You who bury the dead, you who sing the ceremonies, you who pray and starve. You Crows, You Dwarves, You Humans. And yet...there is a lesson You have not understood. I am the Improver; I am the Guide and Mentor. I am not your Servant and I am not your Deliverer. You must act-WORK-towards your own Improvement. Do not wait for Me to visit each of you and grant you a wish; you must train. You must run to be a sprinter, you must write to be a scholar, you must work to be a leader. You must not seclude yourselves. You Must Practice. You Must Help."

"Regardless, my children, I shall grant you a gift, a gift of knowledge and discipline for I know that for all your hardships you all deserve peace and reward. Know that I shall grant you strength, power...and immortality. You shall be like gods, you shall be Improved."

"I do not give this however, immediately. You must earn it. You must follow the Six-Discipline Thorn Path. 'What be that?' some of you shall say. Worry not; for I shall reveal it to all of you. I know that this Path be hard and difficult and not all of you shall pass. Worry not, for by even completing a fraction of the Path, you become better, you become Improved. I ask that you spread the Path to all who wish to know, regardless of who they are and who they worship."

And with that, Lo ended her sermon and unleashed the Six-Discipline Thorn Path upon her wayward followers.

Action: Take a small chunk of the Comet to the Tutelaspera. Reveal to the Shattered of the Comet's coming and that they should be ready for it.

1 Act: Give every one of my dwarf, human and crowborn followers knowledge of the Six-Discipline Thorn Path (SDTP). Encourage them to write it down and spread the word. The Path itself, if completed, allows one to become immune to old-age, disease and rot. It enhances their natural magic reserves, empowers their senses and if killed, allows them to rise once again, as long as they store their souls within a phylactery. The effectively, become Liches. They must conduct the following to become Liches:
  • Discipline-Through-Fist. Aspirants must condition themselves to accept pain and train their physical bodies. They must achieve mastery of a combat-style.
  • Discipline-Through-Craft. Aspirants must master the workings of a craft, be it gem-polishing, speech-writing, ironsmithing or dancing.
  • Discipline-Through-Love. Aspirants must willingly and generously aid others through charity and voluntary works. They must contribute what  they believe an incredibly large amount of time/wealth to this Discipline.
  • Discipline-Through-Knowledge. Aspirants must learn and study copious amounts of knowledge, memorising and appreciating everything they learn. They must contribute new knowledge to society to fully complete this Discipline.
  • Discipline-Through-Submission. Aspirants must prove their abilities by challenging and defeating at least twelve other Aspirants of equal ability. They must compete in 4 of the previous Disciplines. These challenges cannot be faked.
  • Discipline-Through-Restraint. Aspirants must imbue themselves with a soul equal to their own, tasting its power, before releasing it into the Afterlife. If they do not release it, they are Damned and lose all their progress through the Disciplines.

Once all these have been completed, they must then simply choose/craft an object to act as a phylactery. After this, they are instantly granted the abilities of Lichdom. An alternative to individually completing these Disciplines is to mind-meld individuals who have collectively completed each Discipline. The ensuing Lich will have split-personalities like Lo and will be unable to resurrect after death.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 01:17:00 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: March 22, 2013, 03:54:24 am »

((Sorry bout' double post but the above post is far too big already.))

A short time after her new gift, Lo looked over the events that she had missed while meeting with Magnus. The Dwarf had given his people 'Manifest Destiny'. They were to colonise the world and bring their faith to every part of the globe. Feros had fumed at his actions and established defenses. The Couple and Aldemas had met and mingled; Aldemas seems to have known them previously.

Lo also took note of the growing number of Choir members who had taken to reading and discussing the information sourced from the Coriarcii. She had barely noticed them in the past centuries; they had always been few in number and too apathetic to use their knowledge. Now however, they were forming debating clubs and gambling lounges. Instead of just knowing knowledge, they were now using it to entertain themselves. Some were betting on how many times it took for the average dwarf to clean their bottom while some were discussing, sometimes violently, the best way to ride a blind Karas. All hypothetical, Lo hoped.

Lo however, heard something she was not prepared for, something she had missed.

A buzzing in the sea. Exponential growth. Changes in organic structures and biomass. A buzzing.

The debaters had formed a consensus that it was not divine in nature, as much as that correlated with other events. They had agreed that the resurrection of the Seaspawn and Squiddles had been Vanida's action but that the sudden mutation of life and the irritating buzzing was something else. It didn't correlate with evidence. It was...something else.

But what?

Lo spun off a simulacrum and sent it to the seas.

The copy dived into the waters in the form of light; for quick movement. It explored and heard. Buzzing. Static. Buzzing. So much buzzing. The noise was everywhere. It didn't feel divine in the least; it was no god. It could not be.

The simulacrum journeyed deeper, past the abodes of the Sea People, past the many natural creatures of the deep. Always, the noise grew, fogging It's mind. And yet, still no presence, no sign.

Finally, It saw. The Spire. The strange creatures. It felt the currents, It felt the pace and metabolisms. It felt the noise all around; this was the source. This was what changed life into life. This is what...Catalysed their mutations. Here was a Hive-class D-Organism in it's glorly. Lo had only heard of such things in passing, and now she saw it. It's trail of consumption and its growing size...She knew not how to respond.

"D-class Organism, respond. I am...Lo, goddess of Improvement. Speak your...descriptor-name and origin. Tell me, how long have you been here...under the waters."

---

Even as Lo tried to parlay with the organism she sent off a message to Corvus. Her reports noted a crow that always accompanied the Plague-Bearer Gren wherever he went. Even a fool would be able to link the evidence together.

"Corvus, this be Lo. The dwarf Gren, I believe, has links to you. Be this true? I mean no harm or evil in this question."
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: March 22, 2013, 05:28:16 am »

"This be true. I aid the dwarf in penance for being unable to aid mortals before."
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 61