Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 698301 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, I was thinking... which one of these would be more interesting?

Their Coming Is At Hand

The Earth is ancient, both in body and in mind. Mortal life has not always ruled it, and their age is now at an end. Its old masters, the Titans, are awakening, terrifying giants kilometres in size, carrying mountains - or even cities - on their backs. But they are not the only beings looking to master the world - from the abyssal depths that connect all worlds, the Deep Ones rise, singing dreams of prophecy and destruction, bending man's will to their own and bringing madness wherever they go. From the black void between worlds come the Star Gods, grown fat from devouring stars, alien and incomprehensible to man in their goals and thoughts. And beyond, even stranger and more ancient beings, turn to Earth with hunger on their minds.

This all was foreseen. Forces and invididuals from the dawn of history have long prepared for this day. Beneath the illusion of everyday normal life, ancient conspiracies and prophecies of doom form a network of defense, employing the Enemy's own weapons against it. Ancient-mortal hybrids fill their ranks, and slumbering beasts bound to the will of mortal bodies are their potent weapons. But will these halfbreeds and imprisoned gods retain loyalty to a dying race when their true brethren arrive? The ever-advancing technology of mankind is a potent weapon, but will it suffice against the power of living gods?

In this, players would be hybrids and people with Ancients imprisoned in their minds. However, there would be Enemy Slots that 'guest players' would make and then play when I decided their return was at hand. I think this would be easier/more fun to GM and story-wise run.

The Age of Awakening

In this, players could play both the returning/waking Ancients, or the Shackled (hybrids, imprisoned, avatars of ancients) - however, being on the humans' side would be actively discouraged. Only the Titans of the ancients would see humanity as anything more as food, and even they'd consider them a dying race and mostly useless. The Shackled would have to fight their Ancient sides all the time, risking losing control at the worst possible moments if they try to keep their humanity.

Or, a Compromise; some players take hybrids/imprisoned ones, some players take Titans, and both defend the Earth against the Deep Ones, Star Gods and whatever unique beasties might attack.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So how about giving the opportunity of also playing normal people employing "The ever-advancing technology of mankind" to protect Earth?
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

So how about giving the opportunity of also playing normal people employing "The ever-advancing technology of mankind" to protect Earth?
Seems like you'd die quite quickly to me. Demi gods and Titans all have good reasons to survive ridiculous amounts of punishment, while most humans are rather squichy.
Anyway, seems like a lot of fun.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I thought about it, too, but you'd really have to play leaders of powerful organizations in command of entire armies and superweapons to have any effect on the world and not die horribly. While still a terribly squishy organic. I could try to work something out for the second version - for the first, I'd prefer if the players worked their way into command of entire armies and superweapons.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The ever-advancing technology of mankind" to protect Earth?
That is what I wanted to know at which level is the ever-advancing technology of mankind. Also, it makes up for an excellent bleak setting. Who wants to live forever?

Edit: Pre-in me into it, please. The concept seems interesting.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's at present day level at start, with a few experimental weapons or reverse-engineered ancient tech scattered around, but it turns out the rapidly-approaching threat of extinction does wonders to kickstart scientific progress. As long as the ancients don't wreck all your fancy facilities and kill all your personnel first.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Edit: Pre-in me into it, please. The concept seems interesting.

Well, it would do me good to have an idea of how powerful the ancients are. Actually this setting reminds me both of one of my own and another I recently discovered was introduced to (Cthulhutech).
>Yes?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To put in statistics; you start getting damage bonuses with high-yield ballistic missiles and up. A nuke or two could easily enough kill even a high-level ancient, but they have many powers aside from physical toughness, and won't necessarily present themselves for you to target so easily - for example, you could get swarmed by mind-controlled humans and lesser ancient-spawn before you could even fire those missiles. Or they might get redirected by a force field. Or you might find the guy with the launch codes is actually an ancient in a mortal avatar, and it turns out he'd like to fire them at you instead.

EDIT: And CthuluTech looks extremely cool. No surprise that this and it share influences (NGE, though I've never seen a single episode, obviously Lovecraft and other weird horror, etc. etc.).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 08:50:17 am by Digital Hellhound »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yep, my setting also has almost all the same influences as CthulhuTech. It is sad when you think you are building something new just to discover someone has beaten you to it (my case).
>Yes?

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pre-In for that as well. As for playing as normal humans, they could have some form of ancient relic, or weapon that puts them on level with the rest.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pre-In for that as well. As for playing as normal humans, they could have some form of ancient relic, or weapon that puts them on level with the rest.
I think the fun in playing a human in a Lovecraftian setting is exactly trying to survive in a world where all of your power amounts to almost nothing.
>Yes?

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile

I'd think that maybe the humans would learn from the weapons and energies that their enemies use. Or, you could just throw this into the future, and give them giant Mechas.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This

I'd think that maybe the humans would learn from the weapons and energies that their enemies use. Or, you could just throw this into the future, and give them giant Mechas.
Roll to Fight Elder Gods with Giant Mecha

...Holy shit. O_O

Have we ever even had a RtD with giant mecha in it? I feel like this has been brought up before. I just like the idea of players outfitting their mecha with missiles, lasers, drills, etc. for character development. Also I like the idea of a failed attack roll causing a player to accidentally level a city with firebombs. We could even have Voltron-style combining mecha, where each player individually controls a limb. That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. :P
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

...Holy shit. O_O
Wasn't there an anime about that? Lots of crazy Judea-Christian symbolism and a total mind-f*k of an ending?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile

...Holy shit. O_O

Have we ever even had a RtD with giant mecha in it? I feel like this has been brought up before. I just like the idea of players outfitting their mecha with missiles, lasers, drills, etc. for character development. Also I like the idea of a failed attack roll causing a player to accidentally level a city with firebombs. We could even have Voltron-style combining mecha, where each player individually controls a limb. That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. :P
Sounds like fun.
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 661