Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 158

Author Topic: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc  (Read 248247 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Tech News. Automation, Engineering, Environment Etc
« Reply #525 on: March 01, 2017, 09:08:46 pm »

Googling something else I came across this story:
http://www.discovery.com/dscovrd/tech/town-rejects-solar-panels-that-would-suck-up-all-the-energy-from-the-sun/

A North Carolina town council approved a sweeping moratorium on solar power development after residents expressed fears that solar panels cause cancer and drain the sun's energy, which would leave their town dark and devoid of plant life.

The Woodland Town Council was meeting to re-zone land for a proposed solar power project from Strata Solar Company. During the meeting, a retired science teacher raised concerns "that photosynthesis, which depends upon sunlight, would not happen and would keep the plants from growing," local newspaper The Roanoke-Chowan News-Herald reports.

She attempted to substantiate to her claim by adding that she had "observed areas near solar panels where the plants are brown and dead because they did not get enough sunlight."

I checked this out because I was sure it had to be a hoax story, but it looks real.

Well... directly under them, it probably would be. Maybe she's just NIMBYing?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #526 on: March 01, 2017, 09:48:45 pm »

Yeah, that's from 2015. I think it mostly worked itself out.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 02, 2017, 09:36:42 am »

Yeah, that's from 2015. I think it mostly worked itself out.
It's backlash will be felt for decades, until that retired science teacher's pupils have all died. How did that guy ever become a science teacher?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 02, 2017, 09:59:13 am »

A she not a he, and that's what you get when counties run your nation's education system. It's literally this. Local towns in the USA raise their own property taxes to pay for the local education system, and have local school boards which are elected by the locals. It's like an 1800s approach to education, with predictable results and massive variations in teaching standards.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 10:01:04 am by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #529 on: March 02, 2017, 10:33:17 am »

Surely such cases where one is mistaken over how solar panels work could be solved easily with a friendly conversation? And an encyclopedia?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 02, 2017, 10:55:06 am »

Surely such cases where one is mistaken over how solar panels work could be solved easily with a friendly conversation? And an encyclopedia?
Those are manipulated by the Solar Energy lobby for their own nefarious purposes. Take off your blindfold man!
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 02, 2017, 10:58:00 am »

I'm still trying to think of how they came up with the idea that solar panels somehow cause cancer.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #532 on: March 02, 2017, 10:58:32 am »

Those are manipulated by the Solar Energy lobby for their own nefarious purposes. Take off your blindfold man!
At last I see

Or rather, I can't see, because all the light has been sucked up by solar panels

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 02, 2017, 01:44:00 pm »

Solar panels sucking up light is just a conspiracy theory created by the CIA to divert attention from windmills bringing the earth's rotation to a halt, which is the real cause of global warming.

WE NEED TO STOP GREEN ENERGY BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE  :o

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 02, 2017, 01:50:51 pm »

We've been having a lot more wind, recently. There are too many wind farms, meaning we're growing a surplus.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 02, 2017, 02:00:37 pm »

We've been having a lot more wind, recently. There are too many wind farms, meaning we're growing a surplus.
Nah that was just me, eating too much beans.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 02, 2017, 09:43:46 pm »

Now, I assumed that LW meant the encyclopedia could be used to bludgeon some sense into the "solar panels suck up light" folks, now I see that they're intended to drive Martinuzz away before his foulness kills us all! Go on! Shoo! This is only J-K, I've got M right there and I'll go grab S if I have to!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 07, 2017, 01:07:16 pm »

https://news.slashdot.org/story/17/03/07/1447216/chatbot-that-overturned-160000-parking-fines-now-helping-refugees-claim-asylum

The creator of a chatbot which overturned more than 160,000 parking fines and helped vulnerable people apply for emergency housing is now turning the bot to helping refugees claim asylum. The original DoNotPay, created by Stanford student Joshua Browder, describes itself as "the world's first robot lawyer", giving free legal aid to users through a simple-to-use chat interface. The chatbot, using Facebook Messenger, can now help refugees fill in an immigration application in the US and Canada. For those in the UK, it helps them apply for asylum support. The London-born developer worked with lawyers in each country, as well as speaking to asylum seekers whose applications have been successful. Browder says this new functionality for his robot lawyer is "long overdue".

All lawyers, bureaucrats and tax accountants beware of the bots.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 07, 2017, 02:17:10 pm »

https://news.slashdot.org/story/17/03/07/1447216/chatbot-that-overturned-160000-parking-fines-now-helping-refugees-claim-asylum

The creator of a chatbot which overturned more than 160,000 parking fines and helped vulnerable people apply for emergency housing is now turning the bot to helping refugees claim asylum. The original DoNotPay, created by Stanford student Joshua Browder, describes itself as "the world's first robot lawyer", giving free legal aid to users through a simple-to-use chat interface. The chatbot, using Facebook Messenger, can now help refugees fill in an immigration application in the US and Canada. For those in the UK, it helps them apply for asylum support. The London-born developer worked with lawyers in each country, as well as speaking to asylum seekers whose applications have been successful. Browder says this new functionality for his robot lawyer is "long overdue".

All lawyers, bureaucrats and tax accountants beware of the bots.
next up, kitchen bots that actually make you want to buy their kitchens.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 08, 2017, 06:31:31 pm »

More machine learning goodness: http://geometry.cs.ucl.ac.uk/projects/2017/how2sketch/paper_docs/how2sketch_highres.pdf

I haven't read it yet because it's late and I've had a few but a video explains the basic gist of it nicely.

AI that creates tutorials for drawing things, and it seems to be better at doing so than actual humans.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 158