Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

There is no poll right now.

I want to push a button anyways.
- 4 (40%)
I want to push a button too, but the other one is too mainstream.
- 6 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Cosmic Crossroads - SubStandard Employment(Turn 10)  (Read 14383 times)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Trans-Dimensional RTD - "Blood" hath been spilt.
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2016, 03:18:48 pm »

((Quick question, will I be able to regenerate nanites or do I just regain them slowly? The original character design didn't regenerate, but she was in a soft-scifi verse where these things were pretty easy to manufacture. If you don't want to spoil things, that's fine too.))

You create new nanites via a grey goo esq process, breaking down matter and using the molecules to build new nanites. You can break down inorganic matter, but it tends have a limited variety of elements available. Nanites are rather complex machines, and breaking down organic matter (like food) will supply you with many of the necessary enzymes and molecules pre-manufactured, greatly reducing the time it takes for you to heal. Theoretically you can break down any immobile organic matter,  but eating corpses is not without risk. Not only is it ethically taboo, but the people here are from all sorts of other universes where matter does not necessarily abide by the same rules. Eating raw unprocessed organics may have detrimental effects. Cooking food destroys most of the unnatural properties, leaving it in predictable and useful states.

((Eat food and rest to heal. Nivian can also eat inorganic stuff, but will heal at a slower rate when doing so.))
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2016, 06:05:39 pm »

"Hoooiiiee, I got one! Sorta."

Pray to any benevolent gods that may be listening to help us, or to give me the power to do so.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2016, 03:40:06 am »

"Unwieldy body. I should try to get used to it."

Feeling like a fish out of the water, Na Shugareth attempted not to move too much to stay steady.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Trans-Dimensional RTD - Evening the odds.
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2016, 12:09:29 am »

Update 6, In which the bad guys make a bit of a come back.

Pull myself up and beat the crap out of these raiders.
(6  vs  2)
Instead of trying to pull yourself back into the saddle with pure strength, you just slip your left foot out of the stirrup and swing it over the horse. The force caries you upwards like a pendulum, and you land neatly inside the vehicle. The raider in front of you has a gun in her hand, and tries to point it at you. You move faster though, slamming her wrist into the metal frame where there is an audible crack. She cries out and drops the gun. (pugilism) You take advantage of her distraction and hit her with a body shot with your left hand.  She stumbles, and you follow up with what is meant to be a right cross. She turns at the last moment, and you strike her armor instead.  You feel a sudden rush of power from your glove, and the iron crumples in like paper.  The raider is mostly dead, but your arm is stuck inside the bent and warped iron plates! (You have learned more about your item)

(I took this as a fantastic opportunity to learn archaic English grammar and brush up on some history :P)

"What a petulous fool."
Nivian limps in a bizzare sort of hover-walk. Her feet are absolutely not in sync with the ground as it moves by. Unfamiliar with the death throes of mortal men, she approaches the dying enemy general and trains her sword at his neck.
"I give thee one last chance: arrest thy troops, and thou shalt past into the arms of heaven as a newborn child of God,"
Lecture the captain while he bleeds to death, then execute him in a flashy manner as to demolish enemy morale.
...unless he accepts with his last breath. That works too.

"What a petulous fool."

Recovery roll (2)
You manage to compose yourself, and get to your feet. All the data stored in the lost nanites was backed up, so there should be no permanent damage other than the loss of mass. Still, you have to reload a lot of relevant information into active RAM, leaving you distracted. (-1 to all rolls this turn.)
Enemy recovery roll (1)
The raider, who at first remained standing, now stumbles and drops to a knee.  He is not incapacitated by any stretch, but he is losing a lot of blood. (He suffers -1 to all rolls this turn, can not initiate combat this turn, and must roll recovery again next turn)

You abandon the specifics of human motion as you approach the man. You feet still move via and automated routine, but they are not synched with tactile input. The result is what looks like someone trying to walk through water, complete with the not toughing the ground
"I give thee one last chance: arrest thy troops, and thou shalt past into the arms of heaven as a newborn child of God,"
He takes a second to reply, his breathing is heavy and ragged. He starts to stand, but thinks better of it. “I don’t even know what the fuck you’re talking about”
“Make your peace then, heathen”
(4-1  vs  2-1)
You had intended to kill him in some sort of showy way, to deter the other attackers, but it is all you can manage to bring the sword down at all. He moves as if to resist you, but it just leaves him more exposed. You bury your sword halfway into his neck.
Intimidation rolls (3 vs 3) (3 vs 4)
One of the raiders pauses to make a sign, and the other looks a bit angry. Neither of them is deterred.

If the driver isn't dead enough yet, rectify that. Then attempt to gain control of the vehicle.
"How do you drive this thing?!?!?"
The driver is not quite dead yet, but he is unable to defend himself and you just push him out the door into the desert below. Immediately, the car begins to slow. “How do I drive this thing?” You yell to Lucky.
“The pedals!” He yells. “Push the pedals!”
You look down, and see two pedals below the driver’s seat.
(2-1)
You slam your foot down onto one of the pedals, and the whole Car screams to a halt. The other craft all shoot past you (or rather, you drop behind the other craft).
(5) The APC catches and rolls twice, but comes to a rest upright. Somehow, you survive this unscathed. The APC is not moving, and the convoy is already a good distance ahead of you. “Alright” you say to yourself. “So that was the brake”

"Hoooiiiee, I got one! Sorta."
Pray to any benevolent gods that may be listening to help us, or to give me the power to do so.
“The pedals!” you yell to Antonio. “Use the pedals!”
He hits the brake and the APC goes tumbling behind you.
You decide you ought to say a quick prayer for your teammates. (4+3 = 7)
Miraculously, you feel a powerful attention turn onto your group. It only rests there for a second though, before it is gone again. It doesn’t do anything to help you or your group. (You have gained a character Trait. “of interest to Gods’”

"Unwieldy body. I should try to get used to it."
Feeling like a fish out of the water, Na Shugareth attempted not to move too much to stay steady.
You manage to stay perfectly steady, probably because you’re not trying to climb from one craft to another this time. The two raiders on deck notice you staying still, and decide you are a prime target to attack. You are now fighting 2 raiders. Also, you’re unarmed. Good luck!

50. cal (2) Da Da Da Ca-Chunk. The 50. Cal is jammed for this turn. The gunner is working franticly to un-jam the gun, but it inflicts no casualties this round.

Skins (5 vs 6) Despite his injuries skins has climbed onto the hood of a craft and engaged the enemy. Skins is now fighting the enemy commander! He is holding him immobile via some sort of mental attack, but the man is none the less managing to slowly raise a gun with his left hand. (The commander is mentally wounded, but still functional)

Cowboy hat man (2 vs 6) The man in the cowboy hat is trying to get back to his horse (since no one is left on it) but leaves himself open to an attack. A raider fires both barrels of a double barrel shotgun into him. The force of the shot sends him flying out of the craft, and his corpse rolls to a stop in the desert below. The shotgun the raider is holding is now out of ammo.

Jessa (6) Jessa manages to overcome her fear and fires off another volley at the raiders on board the land ship. Pa-Tat, Pa-tat. (4) One of the raiders is hit in the leg. He turns away from Na Shugareth, and starts in her direction. Jessa dives back behind her boxes and lets out a little scream.

Enemy (6) Now that the 50. cal has fallen silent, the raiders decide to unveil their own secret weapon. A small UFO, previously invisible, decloaks and swoops down out of the sky firing off a volley from it’s energy weapons. (5) Brilliantly colored lasers and crackling plasma flies in all directions as people dive for cover and cars nearly flip themselves swerving to get out of the way. The car with the 50. Cal is destroyed along with it's 2 crew, and the Robo horse disappears in a gory spray of plasma and blood.

No general combat rolls this round, because no unspecified crew members remain.

The watchtowers loom on the horizon. Survive one more turn to reach the base.

11 crew (- 1 Cowboy hat guy) – (2 killed by UFO) = 8 (You five, + Turner, Jessa, and Skins)

The Land ship with the sled hitched to the back of it, and the pod-racer are all that remain of the convoy.

7 raiders  -(1 killed on land ship)-(1 killed in APC)-(1 killed by Stuart) =  4 (2 in land ship, 1 in Stuarts Car, Commander is fighting Skins)

The raiders still have the car that Stuart is in (he is fighting the driver) and the Car their commander is in (the commander is the driver). They also have the support UFO.

Spoiler: Lucky (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Na Shugareth (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Stuart Nix (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nivian (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Antonio (click to show/hide)

((A few things of note. First, I cleaned up and standardized the Status section. So thats nice. Second, I changed the GM given ability for lucky, because on reflection lucky will rarely ever be facing someone with greater luck than him.( If you would like it changed back, let me know and I will do so.)  A few other descriptions have been adjusted/updated, so check your stuff! Also, I will leave the poll up until I update next time, and then I will change the thread name accordingly.))
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 01:05:00 am by helmacon »

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2016, 12:28:55 am »

You manage to stay perfectly steady, probably because you’re not trying to climb from one craft to another this time. The two raiders on deck notice you staying still, and decide you are a prime target to attack. You are now fighting 2 raiders. Also, you’re unarmed. Good luck!

(I have a bad feeling. How disagreeable.) thought Na Shugareth, overwhelmed with this feeling of odds against him.

Yet he chuckled, feeling the excitation of battle rising.
"So they think mere creatures of flesh could hope to best me, a creation of the Silent Star ?"

He boasted this to himself, kinda forgetting he was also a mortal now. He first took a moment to analyze his opponents, trying to feel a flaw in their stance or guard. That being done, he rushed in to fight back defending himself with the long-approved method of combined face punching and chin kicking.

((A few things of note. First, I cleaned up and standardized the Status section. So thats nice. Second, I changed the GM given ability for lucky, because on reflection lucky will rarely ever be facing someone with greater luck than him.( If you would like it changed back, let me know and I will do so.)  A few other descriptions have been adjusted/updated, so check your stuff! Also, I will leave the poll up until I update next time, and then I will change the thread name accordingly.))
((You accidentally turned Shugareth into Shugereth :p))

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Trans-Dimensional RTD - Evening the odds
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2016, 12:51:43 am »

Break the driver's skull with my fists.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Trans-Dimensional RTD - Evening the odds
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2016, 01:02:54 am »

((You accidentally turned Shugareth into Shugereth :p))

Oh no! Thanks for pointing it out. Will Fix.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trans-Dimensional RTD - Evening the Odds
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2016, 02:00:04 am »

((The new ability works for me.))

Lucky prays for divine assistance to guide his shot in this Time of Need, then fires at the UFO.

((Because if the odds aren't against me while trying to shoot down a UFO with an old rifle, I'd hate to see what it's like when they are.  :P))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2016, 02:07:40 am »

Nivian's mind somehow draws a connection between these raiders and the Saxons, and swoops at the enemy commander.
"Perish ye barbarians!"

Cover Skins. Most would try to lop off the sword arm, but Nivian simply goes for the back of the neck.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2016, 09:58:11 am »

"So if that pedal makes it stop. . . "

Try to catch up to the rest of the group.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2016, 02:53:01 pm »

Update 7

(I have a bad feeling. How disagreeable.) thought Na Shugareth, overwhelmed with this feeling of odds against him.
Yet he chuckled, feeling the excitation of battle rising.
"So they think mere creatures of flesh could hope to best me, a creation of the Silent Star ?"
He boasted this to himself, kinda forgetting he was also a mortal now. He first took a moment to analyze his opponents, trying to feel a flaw in their stance or guard. That being done, he rushed in to fight back defending himself with the long-approved method of combined face punching and chin kicking.
((You are only fighting one raider, as the other was drawn away towards Jessa when she shot him.))
(5 vs 4)
You realize rather quickly that you no longer have the strength of a God Thing behind you, but you are force to be reckoned with nonetheless. You dance around the raider, landing a few hits and then tripping him so that he falls face first onto the land ship. He is bruised and humiliated, but not very wounded. ((It will be difficult for you to kill someone unarmed with your -1 in strength. You will probably have to improvise a weapon or utilize the environment, or you could just roll a few more fives. ))

Break the driver's skull with my fists.
(2  vs  5)
You would total kill the driver with your fists, but one fist is stuck in the first raider you killed, and the other is on the wrong side of your body. She drops her shotgun and comes at you with a bowie knife that was strapped to her leg. You try to fend her off, crossing your body with your left, but you are in an awkward position. You keep her from stabbing you in the gut, but she slices the fuck out of your arm. (4+1 = 5)
You manage to wretch your arm out of the other raider’s armor. Progress, right?

((The new ability works for me.))
Lucky prays for divine assistance to guide his shot in this Time of Need, then fires at the UFO.
((Because if the odds aren't against me while trying to shoot down a UFO with an old rifle, I'd hate to see what it's like when they are.  :P))
You keep praying, but the attention is gone. ((I’m going to go ahead and outline the mechanics for this here. You can only pray in the midst of battle, taking it as an action over actually fighting your battle. Every time you roll a 7 you gain a point “Of interest to Gods”. Every time you roll a 6 you gain a point “Of interest to Daemons. Accumulate 3 points in either, and you will receive a major boon from the appropriate being. You may choose from either having a greatly enhanced character, or having the thing destroy your enemies in the current battle.))

(2+1=3) Pa-Ting! Your bullet leaves a hole in the craft, but it doesn’t actually affect it all that much. You understand why it was staying cloaked earlier though. The 50. Cal would have shredded this thing. You theorize that the shields on the UFO must not be functional.

Nivian's mind somehow draws a connection between these raiders and the Saxons, and swoops at the enemy commander.
"Perish ye barbarians!"
Cover Skins. Most would try to lop off the sword arm, but Nivian simply goes for the back of the neck.
You spot the enemy Commander, and would attack him if you were on the same craft as he was or had a ranged weapon. Unfortunately, you do not. Unable to cover Skins, you decide to cover Jessa instead.
"Perish ye barbarians!" You cry as you charge out towards the raider.
(2+1 vs 6)
Even with his wounded leg, he swings around and slams the butt of his rifle into your face. Ouch. You fall back down again, the sudden rearrangement of your facial nanites throwing you into disarray. Today is just not your day. He is turned around now, and his back is exposed to Jessa.

"So if that pedal makes it stop. . . "
Try to catch up to the rest of the group.
You slam on the correct pedal, and the APC springs off at breakneck speed. It is more difficult to control the vehicle than you thought, and you have a newfound respect for the drivers in the convoy.  Your kinda getting the hang of this now. (You have learned to drive!) (5) Uh oh, what’s that In front of you… uh.. how do you steer again?

UFO rolls a (4) vs 5
The UFO swoops in low, to the ground. It can’t fire off at the rate it was earlier, but it is still producing a healthy supply of lasers. A beam rips into the side of the land ship, and the whole craft shudders and slows.
Wait a second, what’s that car doing? The raiders on board the UFO are suddenly alarmed. That’s one of our own! Why isn’t it stopping?!?!
The speeding APC slams into the back of the UFO and the hull crumples inwards. The whole craft is driven down into the sand, and raiders are projected out the side of the craft as it crashes.
(4) and air-bag deploys in the APC, and Antonio manages to survive the crash.
(2) Not all the raiders are dead from the crash, but they are all out of the action. One man is crawling over the sand, leaving a trail of blood. A few are unconscious. A lot are dead.
Skins
(6 vs  4) A pulse of energy seems to shoot out of Skins’s eyes, and the Enemy commander slumps over, either dead or unconscious. It is impossible to tell which. Skins seems to have over exerted himself though, and collapses on the hood of the slowing vehicle. Barely managing to stay conscious.
(5) Pa-Tat. Jessa fires a single shot, this time hitting the exposed raider’s head. The man falls dead ontop of Nivian.
The Land ship was slowed, meaning you did not reach the watchtowers this turn.
There are only two raiders left. The one in Stuarts car with the bowie knife, and the one Na Shugareth is kicking the shit out of on the land ship.

Spoiler: Lucky (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Na Shugareth (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Stuart Nix (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nivian (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Antonio (click to show/hide)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Trans-Dimensional RTD - Don't forget your seatbelt!
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2016, 03:41:22 pm »

((Wat... sorry, I had sort of assumed the enemy commander was on the landship))

Look for some kind of sidearm on the dead while Na Shugareth handles his raider. It would not do to interrupt mutual combat.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2016, 04:59:25 pm »

Kick the raider in the groin, follow up with an uppercut with my power glove.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2016, 05:56:38 pm »

Antonio tries to regain his senses after the impact.

Woah. . . That was unpleasant.

Catch up with the rest of the group, running over the survivors of the UFO crash if they are in the way
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOMAIN:REFERENCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2016, 02:51:43 pm »

Any chance I can get on the waitlist?
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?
Are my memes dank enough for you?
Thanks to the internet-cromancer, my internet has been revived. I'm back, baby!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9