Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 561 562 [563] 564 565 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2391990 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #8430 on: August 24, 2014, 11:57:44 pm »

Note, the laser rifle uses four Typical Power Units, continually.  The cutting laser uses eight.  The intensity knob on the laser rifle controls how much that number is multiplied- at two, the laser rifle's beam is as intense as a cutting laser.  At five, it's 250% as strong as a cutting laser.  It can do that, because it uses a battery with all the energy stored up already- with a generator, you'd be stuck at one intensity.

Also, the lasrifle already breaks pretty quickly at five intensity.  Considering it's powerful enough to chop a building in half, that makes sense.

I think your experimental data is flawed. Where did you get that the knob on the laser rifle can make it five times as powerful?

I mean, why would anyone ever make a "cutting laser" if a laser rifle can work just as well (if in shorter bursts) with just a turn of a knob, and at most some extra cooling? It makes no in-universe sense.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8431 on: August 25, 2014, 02:20:42 am »

It doesnt make sense because he is completely and utterly wrong.

A laser rifle at maximum intensity cuts about an inch or two into flesh with a sweep of the beam.
A cutting laser cuts through steel doors with a slow sweep.
A battlesuits heavy laser is tge one that cuts through buildings with its sweeps.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #8432 on: August 25, 2014, 08:58:08 am »

I'm mostly going on this:

Quote from: piecewise
Quote from: syvarris
6. If I gave the Testament an onboard power system, and scrapped the suit, would the rifle cost an extra token?
yeah, adding those parts would increase the cost.

On one hand, he said yeah, which implies that I was correct in thinking it would be only one token.  On the other hand, he only said it 'would increase the cost.', rather than being specific.  Hence, I made sure to clarify as my first action:

Quote from: syvarris
1.Last turn, you said just sticking the Testament's generator in the Testament would make the gun cost more.  Just to make absolutely certain, you mean that it would cost five tokens, rather than four plus one to buy the suit, yes?

@Sambojin in On-ship thread

Getting a generator for the laser rifle, is, ah, of variable expense.  At best, you might be able to get it modified to use a generator for an additional 2 tokens- one for the modification, and one for the power source.  If we made it standard, it might be slightly cheaper, but we probably won't because it loses too much functionality.

Note, the laser rifle uses four Typical Power Units, continually.  The cutting laser uses eight.  The intensity knob on the laser rifle controls how much that number is multiplied- at two, the laser rifle's beam is as intense as a cutting laser.  At five, it's 250% as strong as a cutting laser.  It can do that, because it uses a battery with all the energy stored up already- with a generator, you'd be stuck at one intensity.

Also, the lasrifle already breaks pretty quickly at five intensity.  Considering it's powerful enough to chop a building in half, that makes sense.
You said your motivation was being trigger-happy?  If you happen to have five tokens, and are willing to wait until the current missions end, you could buy my Testament LSW, which fires mini-PSL shards that explode, at eight rounds per second.  And has a 17,280 round magazine.  Half an hour of continuous automatic fire!
I don't remember giving the intensity thing hard numbers concerning how much it multiplied the power of the laser. Regardless, you won't get it up to cutting laser strength without melting the gun from the inside, and even at cutting laser strength it's not a light saber. It would definitely be dangerous, but you aren't gonna be able to just swing it around and send people toppling over in two pieces.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #8434 on: August 25, 2014, 12:24:56 pm »

For some reason, I imagine syvarris like one of those stereotypical deranged prophets, grabbing people from their shirts, shaking them and screaming the above. With the last sentence yelled as they drag him away and the camera zooms out.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8435 on: August 25, 2014, 12:30:43 pm »

For some reason, I imagine syvarris like one of those stereotypical deranged prophets, grabbing people from their shirts, shaking them and screaming the above. With the last sentence yelled as they drag him away and the camera zooms out.

Revealing he had removed his clothing and was throwing puppies at astounded kindergartners.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8436 on: August 25, 2014, 03:55:26 pm »

I honestly have no idea how many tokens I should have. It says four on the wiki, but I don't know if that's correct or not.
I guess later I'll have to trawl back through the threads and try to figure it out. :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #8437 on: August 25, 2014, 04:02:58 pm »

I honestly have no idea how many tokens I should have. It says four on the wiki, but I don't know if that's correct or not.
I guess later I'll have to trawl back through the threads and try to figure it out. :-\
check the old idiots in space txt. It might hold some info you can use.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8438 on: August 25, 2014, 04:20:48 pm »

Somehow I seem to have 31 stat points and 13 skill points. >.>
I can't figure this out right now, couldn't find anything describing my previous level-ups apart from this:
((I think I'll just dump all my stat points into Dex and all my skill points into Conventional, to keep things simple.
That should give me 15 and 6 in them, respectively.))

...and even that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, since I had fourteen in Dex before levelling up just now.
The six was there, though. Anyway, I need to go shower and stuff.
Booze is Life for Yoink

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8439 on: August 25, 2014, 04:22:51 pm »

Most likely those extras are form Hepheastus timeskip actions. Lots of people raised their stats and skills semi-randomly.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8440 on: August 25, 2014, 04:30:07 pm »

Oh, that could be it. Maybe. Probably.
Thanks, I'd forgotten about that.
Booze is Life for Yoink

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #8441 on: August 25, 2014, 05:29:52 pm »

Somehow I seem to have 31 stat points and 13 skill points. >.>
I can't figure this out right now, couldn't find anything describing my previous level-ups apart from this:
((I think I'll just dump all my stat points into Dex and all my skill points into Conventional, to keep things simple.
That should give me 15 and 6 in them, respectively.))

...and even that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, since I had fourteen in Dex before levelling up just now.
The six was there, though. Anyway, I need to go shower and stuff.
Where are you getting 14 Dex from? The previous versions of Jobasio's wiki page all list him as having 15 Dex.
Your token count is 5, actually. Remalle gave you one for driving. I thought that had been changed already, but when I checked, it hadn't.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8442 on: August 25, 2014, 05:48:19 pm »

When I opened the Wiki page to level up, it was at 14. Was it really at 15, then? O-kay, that's weird.

Edit:
((How much points do we get for level ups?))
It's all on the first page of the original thread. Three for skills, five for stats, I believe.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 07:50:20 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8443 on: August 25, 2014, 08:49:12 pm »

Speak to the Doctor.
"Hey, there.  I have a question that you might find interesting.  Or you might not, I dunno.  Well, essentially I just want to know what would happen if I tried to insert an amp or decomp into my brain.  Would my body reject it?  Actually, would it even be possible to cut through my head far enough to get in there for long enough?"

"Let's find out!" *syringe to the neck*
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8444 on: August 25, 2014, 10:49:34 pm »

Here's the source of my laser information:

1. Look at the laser rifle.  Assuming I fired it at maximum (x5) intensity for only a single second, then left it to cool for ten seconds, would it take permanent damage?

2. If not, how much would it cost, in final-product-tokens, to modify it to be capable of such?

3.Regardless of the price, I'd like to test it.  Shoot it at the head of a guy in a MK I.  How effective is it?

4.Test it on a battlesuit.  We know a 'passing sweep' with a cutting laser causes it to glow red hot, so what does a full second of concentrated fire at 250% the strength do?  Can it ruin a joint?  If it's diffused a bit, can it blind/destroy cameras?

---

5. Can we make/use things that are from the Crossroads game?

6. If I gave the Testament an onboard power system, and scrapped the suit, would the rifle cost an extra token?

"Simus, could I task a research team to start researching a method to speed up production of sods?"

7. If Simus okays it, (or posts without saying anything) task a research team to start researching a method to speed up sod production.
Yes.
NA
Pretty effective, but then again it kills the rifle and MK1's aren't that hard to destroy anyways.
It's more effective and actively cuts a bit. It could damage a joint if you concentrated on it.
Maybe, depends on what they are.
yeah, adding those parts would increase the cost.
I'll just tell you that you need to build  a bio-organic forge. It would allow for production rather then growing of organic material.

Okay, I'll grant that PW only used vauge statements like "it's effective".  My mind decided that even if there was inherent inefficiency in the lasrifle compared to the cutlas, the smaller surface area would probably compensate.  That's stupid, one should never assume with this stuff.

However, the cutting laser is already capable of cutting buildings in half.  And the lasrifle is obviously more effective than the cutting laser at 250% power, because it can actually cut into the battlesuit a bit, whereas all a cutting laser* did was heat it to a warm glow.

*Technically, that was a civilian mining laser.  But everyone seems to say that it has the same power as a cutlas, so...

@Mirrsen

They don't use lasrifles, because PW outright said up there that you can't make a lasrifle that lasts any significant amount of time at that power without breaking, even with advanced metamaterials.  At least, I assume "NA" to mean "You just can't" and not "Sure you could, it just costs thirty tokens".

@Unholy Pariah

...Okay, when did we ever test how effective a battlesuit's heavy laser was?  I thought the best we ever did was find out that a battlesuit variant gets a heavy laser.  Also, the cutting laser is described as cutting through just about anything with a halfhearted sweep.

@Piecewise

You said, long ago, before even TPU was decided on I think, that the intensity knob was a multiplier to how fast the battery drained.  I think Thomas was messing with it and figured it out?  Maybe he was just the first person to mess with the knobs.

And I didn't say it wouldn't take permanent damage.  Sambo seemed to want a weapon which would melt or explode at full power.  You said the gun would take permanent damage if it were fired at full for even a second, so I figured his wishes would be granted if he fired it for the full six.

...Did I say you could swing it around and chop people in half?  At best I'd think you'd burn a few inches into them.

@Me being a mad prophet.
Eh.  I could see it.  But I'd probably just yell into people's faces that the source of all their life's problems was the fact that they're idiots.

Also, I'd throw kittens, not puppies.  Kittens cling, so they're more likely to stay close to the child long enough to bond with them.  Science!
Pages: 1 ... 561 562 [563] 564 565 ... 2205