Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 185

Author Topic: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin  (Read 773064 times)

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin
« Reply #375 on: July 03, 2014, 04:52:10 am »

A version 4 release for Windows?? I can't WAIT to crash it!

That is to say, I'm already crashing it very regularly on game load (saved world and arena both).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The numbers in the DFHack console caught my attention. They were different on every attempt, but the overall pattern is the same. The first and the last of the long hex-style numbers were always identical.

Then I got the notion to really shut off features. Both FONT/GRAPHICS_FONT and FULLFONT/GRAPHICS_FULLFONT are the same now. The pattern shifted, but again stuck to the same order with slightly different numbers:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm using the r4 version. Ask me anything that might help.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #376 on: July 03, 2014, 04:58:19 am »

I'm using the r4 version. Ask me anything that might help.

Thanks but it just currently works only on OS X. Actually I really should disable builds for unsupported systems not to confuse people.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 03, 2014, 05:02:10 am »

Oh, no wonder then!

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: July 03, 2014, 05:30:12 am »

Yep, they renamed this field in r5, next build will be ok. Can you try with r3 or r4 in the meanwhile? I'm puzzled with the previous message from falcn that this version does nothing :)

Well, the r3 version does things, only not very useful yet. :)
-graphics_font is the text, and font is the tileset in this version. (this will change back?)
-zoom only works on the edge of the screen, the rest of the tiles do not enlarge
-mouse positioning is off by a couple of tiles
if you use tilesets with different ratios:
   -the map is resized correctly
   -text tiles ?zoom in? - so essentially we can see the same ammount text as with square, only the letters are bigger. (I'm not sure about this one after a few tests, but that seems to be the case.)

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #379 on: July 03, 2014, 05:37:25 am »

Yep, they renamed this field in r5, next build will be ok. Can you try with r3 or r4 in the meanwhile? I'm puzzled with the previous message from falcn that this version does nothing :)

Well, the r3 version does things, only not very useful yet. :)
-graphics_font is the text, and font is the tileset in this version. (this will change back?)

It's changed already, font is text, graphics font is graphics, as per readme file.
Mousequery positioning will be off until I make a special version of it that will take correct tile size from my plugin.
When game loads, press TAB, otherwise map doesn't take full space.
Otherwise it should be more or less playable.

Can you set font and graphics_font to font/graphics tilesets with distinct different sizes and post a screenshot?

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 03, 2014, 06:20:15 am »

Can you set font and graphics_font to font/graphics tilesets with distinct different sizes and post a screenshot?

Ok, now I can see the difference in rows, but the width and the number of letters remains the same. 10x15 tileset looks quite promising. Sorry for the large images, imgur played a trick on me... :(
Spoiler: Depo and text (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Joblist (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 06:37:07 am by fricy »

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #381 on: July 03, 2014, 06:25:45 am »

Oh so many screenshots thank you.

So it's easy to see that 10x15 font looks nicer, menu has smaller width leaving more space for the map, and on job list screen no text is truncated.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #382 on: July 03, 2014, 08:23:20 am »

Interestingly, code from g_src is exactly what's used on Linux (not surprising) and OS X, but on Windows some functions slightly differ, like some arguments are missing or memory allocation is done differently. Spent hours trying to find why version 4 doesn't work on Windows... But finally found the problem, so there will be a build with different tile sizes to try on Windows, and also multilevel version fixed for r5.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #383 on: July 03, 2014, 08:25:29 am »

so there will be a build with different tile sizes to try on Windows
Cool. Anything you want to have tested?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: July 03, 2014, 09:48:11 am »

I'm puzzled with the previous message from falcn that this version does nothing :)

I am as puzzled as you are.

Here are R3 and R5 running side by side.

R3 is using twbt-nextgen-4.14-osx.zip, which is evident by absent multilevel at the moat.
R5 is using twbt-multilevel-3.12-osx.zip (4.14 won't load)

Both are using Phoebus_16x16.png + ShizzleClean.png from twbt archive (256 × 320).
init.txt is the same.

MD5 (Dwarf Fortress r3/hack/plugins/twbt.plug.so) = 8776e978ec438d1e04c5614a9c0f274f
MD5 (Downloads/twbt-nextgen-4-2/dfhack-r3/twbt.plug.so) = 8776e978ec438d1e04c5614a9c0f274f

molkemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: July 03, 2014, 10:28:02 am »

Interestingly, code from g_src is exactly what's used on Linux (not surprising) and OS X, but on Windows some functions slightly differ, like some arguments are missing or memory allocation is done differently. Spent hours trying to find why version 4 doesn't work on Windows... But finally found the problem, so there will be a build with different tile sizes to try on Windows, and also multilevel version fixed for r5.

I will now spam f5 on your build repo until the update is out :D

Just for clarity though, will the multilevel version also have non-square tileset functionality, or do I have to download another build for that? What exactly does nextgen do? I'm a bit confused^^

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #386 on: July 04, 2014, 12:58:14 am »

Both are using Phoebus_16x16.png + ShizzleClean.png from twbt archive (256 × 320).
init.txt is the same.

ShizzleClean is a bit tricky because it has the same 16px width as graphic tiles, but is taller so it requires bigger window to fit minimum 25 rows. On your screenshot it looks like window height is enough though.. But also it's retina, I don't know if it may cause any problems.

So, can you just try with, for example, curses_800x600.png from any ASCII tileset - it's small, so you will easily notice the difference?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 04, 2014, 05:01:53 am »

As recommended by GavJ, I'd like to suggest that you work on tile swapping features in play. This would work on the lines of having a general tile for trees which can then be swapped for a more descriptive tree tile. We thought it could be useful for braille keyboards and seemingly other applications.

Not sure I understand what exactly you want.

So eh, what's your verdict?

A feature to hit a hotkey and have it switch in game to a different group of overrides.  The suggested use was so that people on a braille keyboard could have, for instance, all creatures be one tile icon, and then hit a key and have them all now represent the individual creature types so that you can hierarchically zoom in so to speak to different levels of detail as needed only.

But it would be useful presumably for all sorts of cool things other than blind player accommodation.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #388 on: July 04, 2014, 05:13:37 am »

As recommended by GavJ, I'd like to suggest that you work on tile swapping features in play. This would work on the lines of having a general tile for trees which can then be swapped for a more descriptive tree tile. We thought it could be useful for braille keyboards and seemingly other applications.

Not sure I understand what exactly you want.

So eh, what's your verdict?

A feature to hit a hotkey and have it switch in game to a different group of overrides.  The suggested use was so that people on a braille keyboard could have, for instance, all creatures be one tile icon, and then hit a key and have them all now represent the individual creature types so that you can hierarchically zoom in so to speak to different levels of detail as needed only.

But it would be useful presumably for all sorts of cool things other than blind player accommodation.

Well, theoretically it's possible of course. Not sure about creatures though, as they're handled differently and overrides don't do anything with creature tiles currently.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 04, 2014, 11:18:45 am »

Thanks. Hope there's a workaround for the creatures, or that toady spots it.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 185