Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 185

Author Topic: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin  (Read 773155 times)

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
Re: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin
« Reply #675 on: August 23, 2014, 04:59:46 am »

I have a few questions. In 34.11 PeridexisErrant LNP r63+ idk if it showed up before then. Twbt supposedly allowed creatures in cages to use the image from raws/graphics/ which I saw on a quill18 youtube video. In the 40.08 version they don't?

There's no any support for creatures, and honestly I don't know anything about them, I mean, maybe something changed in 40.08, maybe it's something else.

Next question is can you use the overides.txt to designate tiles for tree_branches? I'm making a mod for the spacefox tileset and I like the spacefox mine cart tracks but they just don't work as tree branches. So someone Joist or fricy changed the spacefox train tracks to phoebus's ones which look pretty nice as the branches. I was wondering can you use a third tileset for those cart tracks or even place those cart tracks onto the text tileset so it can just call to that one to use them for the branches. I'd honestly like to take them from a third set though so that I can add other things to the third one that I feel are missing, A for the farmers workshop being one, but I just include that fix in the twbt pack anyways since the A in text is already taken care of.

Nextgen branch allows to override tiles based on tile type, and I see new tile types for branches, twigs and all. So it should be possible to override them with nextgen branch right now (I'll update readme with these new tile types shortly). Of course it would be great to have special tile images for new trees.

The twbt next generation file doesn't allow non twbt versions to be played without crashing the game on startup. twbt-nextgen-4.43-win for example. Haven't tested the other version since more files are in it :P and I wasn't really playing just testing changes to a mod. That said deleting the twbt file lets the game run, with the mouse query file not making conflicts I guess. There is no error log.

Hm... Which DF pack are you using?

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: August 23, 2014, 05:31:39 am »

I was using Dwarf Fortress 40_08 Starter Pack r3 by PeridexisErrant. Which uses dfhack r2 (I was under the impression it came with the r3 pack but it didn't (I added the next gen one to the plugins folder of dfhack overwriting the mousequery) and since it crashes in 2d printmode at the very least without a twbt "tileset mod". It's probably just the fact that those mods update the init.txt to 2d printmode with there being no way to turn twbt off in that starter set.

a little off-topic but i am really looking forward to dfhack getting stable for DF2014 and then the "text will be text" plugins gets hopefully integrated in the windows OS (DF starter pack) version of DF.

TwbT is out for 40_08 with dfhack-r2, if you're going that way.

The mention of the twbt pack as the source of the creature sprites.

Make Starter Pack, can confirm - it's the dfhack plugin Text will be Text.  It should be back soonish once we have dfhack for 40_09.

if you watch the first episode you'll see that for the ducimvel LP serise he does not use the masterwork mod but the starter pack. the graphic pack / tileset he uses is the "phoebus_twbt_fricy" version.
http://youtu.be/gmKCvSJVwOw?t=9m15s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9smiimk34bY&list=UUbx1TZgxfIauUZyPuBzEwZg&feature=player_detailpage#t=1126

Shows goblin theifs + some creatures in the cages.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9smiimk34bY&list=UUbx1TZgxfIauUZyPuBzEwZg&feature=player_detailpage#t=315
A few other goblins in cages. That's all from the 34.11 version, r63 of the pack or so I don't actually know which it goes up to r67 but that tileset isn't in that version.. Version r66 does have that pack so it could have been that instead of a way early version of r63.

I'm sort of thinking PeridexisErrant somehow added that feature to twbt with the starterpack idk, I didn't really play in 34.11 so my knowledge of that time is limited.

r67
- updated Dwarf Therapist to v22.0; improved roles and optimiser, many other tweaks
- using custom stonesense version that is compatible with TwbT
- changed all graphics settings for TwbT compatibility (except ASCII default)
- activated Text will be Text for all graphics packs (except ASCII default)
- updated TwbT to v3.31

r66
- changed line endings in hack/ruby/ruby-autogen to windows style, apparently Fricy's package was OSX-endings and causing some issues
- fixed growthbug syntax from dfhack tab
- updated TwbT to v3.28
- fixed TwbT item overrides
- with crashes resolved, added TwbT "multilevel 10" to dfhack.init and installed TwbT graphics by default
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 05:56:53 am by LeoCean »

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #677 on: August 23, 2014, 07:04:21 am »

Oh I see now, it crashes if print_mode is set to 2d, stupid error introduced some time ago, will fix now. twbt should print an error message and not load in this case.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #678 on: August 23, 2014, 08:02:46 am »

Version 4.46 fixes this crash on load if print_mode is set to 2D, also rendering of overridden items is greatly optimised, and readme updated to include item ids and tile types added or removed in 0.40. You can override all tree tiles now.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: August 24, 2014, 09:31:29 am »

Hey there, Mifki, would you mind checking out this thread? We have a question for you. Thanks!
Fixing Accented Letters in Names

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: August 24, 2014, 05:56:06 pm »

I wonder is there anyway to make it so that when you create a new world/ press start playing it doesn't use the text files graphics. Just a minor nuisance.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #681 on: August 28, 2014, 05:23:19 pm »

I wonder is there anyway to make it so that when you create a new world/ press start playing it doesn't use the text files graphics. Just a minor nuisance.

There were some issues with properly rendering worldgen and embark screens, ie. using graphics and text fonts in proper places.
Also, some people here requested these screens to stay text-only because the main map graphics doesn't work well for world map, and I kind of agree with that.
The final plan was to add support for a third font specifically for world maps, but because of aforementioned difficulties with these screens it hasn't been done yet.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #682 on: August 28, 2014, 05:32:35 pm »

Would it be possible to cycle through tilesets? Lets say you have 3 tilesets that use the same raws, MDF, Phoebus and Obsidian. If you want to change them, you still have to close the game, change the init to point to the one you want, restart the game. But if TwbT overrides all the tiles anyway, couldnt it change them on the fly?

Twbt tileset 1 ALT+1
Twbt tileset 2 ALT+2
Twbt tileset 3 ALT+3 (or even better ALT++ and ALT+- for going to next/previous in the list)

and so on, with the proper IDs for these tilesets declared somewhere in a text file, like the overrides.txt.

I know this is a bit special, and wouldnt work for switching from Ascii to Phoebus or Ironhand (different raws), but I think it would be quite interesting. There are so many ascii tilesets, and it would give them much more exposure, because people can look at them within a few seconds. Same thing for color schemes, if people could cycle through color schemes in a running fort, without closing the DF window, it would be much easier to find one you like, and much easier for people to spot differences between them.

And sorry I cant give any feedback on the unique building sprites yet, I was on vacation the last couple of weeks.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #683 on: August 28, 2014, 05:38:00 pm »

Yes, being able to reload/switch tilesets and manipulate overrides in runtime is a planned feature. Likely it will be some generic console commands though, not shortcuts specifically to cycle through tilesets. I just wanted to solve known bugs first and then move on to adding new features. Then recently I was trying to do one interesting thing that I'll show soon, but hopefully I'll soon return to all these planned features.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #684 on: August 28, 2014, 05:42:08 pm »

Generic console commands can be linked to hotkeys in the dfhack.init with 'keybinding add' easy enough. :)

Did you post a list of your planned features somewhere? I havent checked this thread in a while, and there isnt anything in the first post. But I did see you saying somewhere that there is no way to override creatures, so I assume that caste-specific creature sprites is among the impossible requests by now?
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #685 on: August 28, 2014, 06:01:09 pm »

Did you post a list of your planned features somewhere? I havent checked this thread in a while, and there isnt anything in the first post. But I did see you saying somewhere that there is no way to override creatures, so I assume that caste-specific creature sprites is among the impossible requests by now?

No, I didn't.
But I did say that know nothing about creature graphics - how it's configured, what's the problem with castes and so on. I just care much more about the look of in-game objects than about creatures. Maybe if you explain how the creature graphics works in df and what's the problem, I'll change my mind, but so far honestly I wasn't going to do anything creature-related.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #686 on: August 28, 2014, 07:07:40 pm »

Ok, in that case I quickly explain how they work and why people might be interested in it, then you can make up your mind easier about it.

Tl;dr: Civs could use castes to fake having other creatures as civ members, and males and females could look different.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #687 on: August 28, 2014, 08:47:36 pm »

The problem I see so far if I understood everything correctly is that overrides for castes must work on top of existing creature graphics mechanism. I.e. you specify different set of tiles for different castes, and the current mechanism is then used to determine specific tile based on profession. Right? But I don't think it's possible to implement it without completely replacing existing logic, and it must still use existing configuration files... So it gets a bit complicated. But I'll take a look, I like the idea of differently looking male/female domestic animals :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #688 on: August 28, 2014, 08:58:53 pm »

You understood everything correctly.

I think the different domestic animals with male/female are much easier to do. They only use one sprite for each. Civ creatures do change their sprites quite often ingame, there would be a mix of caste and profession. Although I would be totally fine if it would be completely overwritten, for example CASTE:CIV:GOBLIN would always look the same goblin-like, no matter if he is a noble, woodcutter or mason. ^^

That being said, domestic creatures also use professions. They have default, hunt and war. Most artists never made hunt and war graphics however, so mostly its just one entry with default and one for child.

Example for animals:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Example for civs:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: August 28, 2014, 09:04:04 pm »

Well it's not a big deal it seems to be fixed so easily that it was hardly worth mentioning now. Well it's fixed if you alt tab or do what I said on the other page by going into the custom world with parameters thing. Just a minor nuisance as I said.

Spoiler:  Weird graphic glitch (click to show/hide)
  I'm pretty sure it doesn't happen because of dfhack without twbt in it, didn't at least when I tested. I just tested it to make sure it was happening in the version before the latest one to be sure it wasn't new and it was happening then to.

**Edit sort of found out why at bottom, kinda unimportant now** Meph do creatures in cages in your mod in 34.11 show up as letters or tileset images or do they use creature graphics like in the second post on this page. The only masterwork stuff I know of is silverdragonlords and I don't think he uses cages often. I could check with quills. Yeah they are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g11iWu5uNQ&feature=player_detailpage#t=640 or this image

Spoiler: Animals in cages (click to show/hide)

What the heck do you guys use.  :-\. PeridexisErrant says it is from twbt and of course it should work if you have [GRAPHICS:YES] on. But it isn't working for me so far in 40.08's twbt + dfhack. Maybe it was a different pluggin since mifki doesn't believe it's his twbt pluggin. And in regular dwarf fortress the goblins in cages just show up as the tileset image/ dead image.Edit** I may be wrong that it works as well in your version since I did notice they go back to being letters when their cages are "built" and not in the animal stockpile. It may be the same for the starter pack version. Edit 2** Well I just built a animal stockpile in this test game and my dwarves brought a goblin to that stockpile and it actually had the sprite. Why in the world would the game change the creature when it is in a built cage on the ground but not in a cage in a stockpile...

What it looks like in 40.08, so far..

They should be using the phoebus goblin images they are set to when in cages and out (I'm pretty sure outside of cages they look normal) Of course there's probably something I'm missing I just don't know what it is. We'll see once 40.10 dfhack comes out and Peridexis includes twbt graphic sets if it finally works.

Edit: Dammit it seems I had this all wrong, even in vanilla df animals in cages in animal stockpiles use the graphics unless the cage is placed. So it is a dwarf fortress bug or something not yet in df, not something twbt added or didn't add. It took me awhile to actually learn that you had to slate the cage for removal to test this. (I'm pretty new) Anyways made a request to Toady to add a graphics option for dead animals/ "built" caged animals.

*Yeah it does make it easier to find, I was just so use to knowing where it was I forgot.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 11:54:05 pm by LeoCean »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 185