Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

Author Topic: UltraFinder 2.8 - Embark Finder (Post ideas and requests for the next release)  (Read 51560 times)

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dwarf fortress UltraFinder V2.8
Currently only works with 40d through to 40d13.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

New development:
Ok, so a revised version is finally under development.

Rather than scanning colour changes to determine what is happening, this version will reference your tileset. Where as before, I could not tell if that four character string of brown was sand or loam, this version will be able to convert it to a string of text, and then differentiate. This means I can know almost anything about what is happening within the Dwarf Fortress window, thus opening up a broad range of options.

Below is a screencap out the outputted library (ignore that dark grey is in there twice):

Basically, if you have a suggestion, be it a feature, an option or, well anything really, let me know so I can compile a list of what people want and set appropriate goals. Keep in mind, most of these features will not be in the initial release.

Progress:

Current ideas/goals:
- Incorporate functional, user friendly interface.
- Throw in basic error reporting.
- Turn up multiple sites within a region.
- Find sand (finally).
- Find brooks, streams, major rivers, etc.
- Find deserts, glaciers etc.
- Find oceanside locations.
- Find waterfalls.
- Find sites at crossroads.
- Find settlements (human, dwarven, elven and goblin)
- Find civs at war.
- Export screenshots of embark site screen.
- Better organization of stored regions and associated data.

Features from old version:
- Either/or scenarios.
- Find trees, vegetation etc. (Will allow multiple in future versions)
- Find igneous intrusive, sedimentary etc.

Elvang was kind enough to show proof of concept examples of a functional GUI, along with other excellent examples and ideas. This will go a long way to making UltraFinder more accessable, so I owe Elvang many thanks.

I'd also like to extend my sincerest thanks to Dwiib for helping me overcome some boundaries.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 06:26:27 am by GFXiNXS »
Intel i7 980X 6-Cores @ 3.8GHz
6GB DDR3 8-8-8-24 @ 2000MHz
Radeon 5970 - Stock Clocks

ac31

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress UltraFinder (World Generation Script)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 01:04:45 am »

hello, now THIS might come in handy
Just wondering if it would be possible (however unwise) to make demons a civilisation
I don't see any reason they couldn't be. What would happen if they breached the HFS?
Horrors! Annoying relatives in the deep!

Phenixmirage

• Bay Watcher
  • Weak vs. Water
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress UltraFinder (World Generation Script)(W.I.P)
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 11:27:30 am »

I'll put in a request for the ability to locate lakeside or oceanside locations.  I've been trying to find the perfect oceanside site, but it's been a pain in the neck. :P It would be so much easier if I didn't have to pick through each world manually.  :)

Also, option 5 in the init sets the world gen to "custom" but is there a way to specify which custom to use, or is it just the first one after the premade large/medium/small/etc parameters?

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 12:18:41 pm »

Request: Either/or. I usually want underground water for tower caps and an infinite water source, this combines into an underground river, but an underground pool and a regular river/aquifier work as well.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Ralith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 08:12:20 pm »

Request: Either/or. I usually want underground water for tower caps and an infinite water source, this combines into an underground river, but an underground pool and a regular river/aquifier work as well.
This.

Also, specific river types. Ie- Major, Normal, Stream, Brook(myfavoriteILOVEBROOKSFUCKYEAH)
Sig to be updated momentarily.

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 09:55:49 pm »

This sounds doable, once I'm done with the current enhancements I'll try and set this up.

Trying to think of an easy enough way to implement this in the init file. Maybe you can assign a number to certain features, and the program will tag all of those features into a group and cycle through them in the search phase (ie, you tag underground pool, aquifer and river with the number 1, so the program runs the initial search, scans as per normal (searching for any errors whatsoever), then narrows in down to each of the items you have tagged, if none are available in that group, the scan repeats while cycling through your group list. It's not perfect, I know. But by no means do I claim to be a programmer of any merit. My talents are dabbling at best  :)

For the meantime, I may just put this in in its most primative form ie, "underground water supply" or "Magma available" or even just "water supply".

I'll put in a request for the ability to locate lakeside or oceanside locations.  I've been trying to find the perfect oceanside site, but it's been a pain in the neck. :P It would be so much easier if I didn't have to pick through each world manually.  :)

Also, option 5 in the init sets the world gen to "custom" but is there a way to specify which custom to use, or is it just the first one after the premade large/medium/small/etc parameters?

This will probably push my talents (or lack thereof). I will attempt this, but it will come after the current items in the list.

As for "custom" - this always chooses the *last* item in the list, no matter what.

For all you out there having trouble with getting that right location, try making a custom world with X and Y Variance maxed out. Makes for some very interesting locations.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 10:00:55 pm by GFXiNXS »

Organ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 11:00:59 pm »

I may just be impatient, but it doesn't appear to do anything for me, other than sit at the Press F9 page. And sometimes if I start it with no DF running it will just switch focus to firefox and sit there. Does me using d12 have anything to do with it? Off to try regular 40d...

edit: ok, that can't be it, seeing as UltraFinder looks for Dwarf Fortress.exe. Is it just supposed to take a really long time getting past the f9 page?
ah, and I see that the firefox thing is explained by the bug report  :-X
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 11:06:30 pm by Organ »
The fight in the dog in your what?

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 01:35:10 am »

I may just be impatient, but it doesn't appear to do anything for me, other than sit at the Press F9 page. And sometimes if I start it with no DF running it will just switch focus to firefox and sit there. Does me using d12 have anything to do with it? Off to try regular 40d...

edit: ok, that can't be it, seeing as UltraFinder looks for Dwarf Fortress.exe. Is it just supposed to take a really long time getting past the f9 page?
ah, and I see that the firefox thing is explained by the bug report  :-X

The program has a 5 second warm up period at the start, and then everything else should be nigh on instantaneous.

What build of dwarf fortress are you using? Mayday? Vanilla? - are other people having these problems?

And just to be sure, are you running this either straight from the directory (before df is open) or from the main menu? If so, all should be fine. If this problem occurs again, try hitting the F9 key and see if the script keeps running without a hitch. Also, Dwarf fortress must run in windowed mode, be no more than 80 tiles wide, and must have the intro movie turned off.

I do have a method that may prevent such issues, and this should be out in the next release which should be out either later today or tomorrow.

I urge people experiencing difficulties to report it here, if I don't know about it, I can't fix it. Cheers guys :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 01:55:58 am by GFXiNXS »

Organ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 09:54:00 am »

The program has a 5 second warm up period at the start, and then everything else should be nigh on instantaneous.

What build of dwarf fortress are you using? Mayday? Vanilla? - are other people having these problems?

And just to be sure, are you running this either straight from the directory (before df is open) or from the main menu? If so, all should be fine. If this problem occurs again, try hitting the F9 key and see if the script keeps running without a hitch. Also, Dwarf fortress must run in windowed mode, be no more than 80 tiles wide, and must have the intro movie turned off.

I do have a method that may prevent such issues, and this should be out in the next release which should be out either later today or tomorrow.

I urge people experiencing difficulties to report it here, if I don't know about it, I can't fix it. Cheers guys :)
It gets to the f9 screen and then stops all activity. I'm using bone stock d12. Would the Microsoft IME for east asian languages interfere with the program at all? It doesn't mess with quickfort, and I think this is the same principle, but in quickfort there's no need to be pressing the fn keys so...
edit: also, physically my keyboard is the small type, with no numpad. I still left all the keybindings stock on a fresh df folder just so there isn't more to worry about clashing--might that have something to do with it?
The fight in the dog in your what?

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 10:01:49 am »

That sounds like it could be the problem. This is a primitive program at best. If the microsoft IME intercepts/alters keypress signals in any way, this program will likely fall on its rear end.

Is it possible to temporarily disable the IME whilst running the script? If so, I'd be curious to know if it's the IME at fault, or if its just me being lame at what I do (whick is a more likely cause :P).

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 12:05:47 pm »

I have the Ultrafinder.exe in the same folder as the Dwarffort.exe. I've gone through both .inits and matched up everything. I'll start DF and then what? I've tried going through all the options and menus and running the Ultrafinder from all of them. Nothing ever happens. What do I be needin to do?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 05:10:10 pm »

Try having Dwarf Fortress closed before you run the application. There will be a 5 second warm up period, and then the program should just take off. Also, your exe *must* be titled "Dwarf Fortress.exe" - just to be sure.

Also, are you running dwarf fortress windowed, no greater than 80 tiles wide with the intro movie off?

Failing that, could I know your build and version of DF? Also, check your system tray for running icons and make sure you don't have a bunch of "UltraFinder.exe"'s running.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 05:14:42 pm by GFXiNXS »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 06:38:43 pm »

Figured it out, had multiple Ultrafinders up. I have noticed that the generator will refuse to give me magma features, nay, it ignores my pleas and spits on my face as I cry out for the liquid fire.

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 07:06:17 pm »

Try upping the X and Y variations in a custom world, also set the 80-100 weighted range for volcanism to 5000+ and see if that increases your chances.

Also try maxing out the maximum number of sub regions. Increasing the variations for all items will give you a complete mix of all kinds of biomes overlapping and intersecting one-another and up your chances of finding full featured embark locations. Then just set the "world" perameter to 5 for custom.

The whole idea of this application is to overcome the hard to group features by sheer force of spam ;D

Also, a new version is almost out. I have hit some compatibility issues between operating systems with the new features, though. Once I get over this headache (and when I am not at work :P) and when the last couple of features are in, I'll post it up. Teaser screens coming shortly :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 07:10:39 pm by GFXiNXS »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 07:13:25 pm »

Well, I'm trying for a magma pipe, underground river, chasm, flux, river, medium evilness, and a bottomless pit. Everything is so very specific that there's no way the last 30 maps have coincidentally had these things. That, and I thought this was supposed to spam til it got it right randomly. Not require me to go ahead and make the world, then claim credit for it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20