Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 38

Author Topic: Procedurally Generated Mafia- GAME OVER MAFIA WIN  (Read 75772 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mafiakill is the kill used jointly by all (surviving) mafia. I'm talking about the Killing Action.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Procedurally Generated Mafia - D2
« Reply #376 on: November 05, 2017, 07:16:14 am »

Ok, misremembered.

November Rules FAQ
As the game is complicated and in any case some players just skim the OP, here's a restating of some of the things you might find helpful to bear in mind:

- All the powers are random, but the possibilities can be seen in the source here.
- All town players started the game with one power (whether a passive ability, or an active action).
- Any SK players started the game with two powers, one guaranteed to be able to kill.
- Mafia players have access to a kill power that cannot be swapped away.
- All abilities normally trigger at the same time, players only die at the end of the phase (i.e. killing doesn't block), but gifts happen first, and censuses happen last.
- Players can only use one ability per day or night phase (though some abilities can take multiple targets).
Thus it seems I've revealed the SK.

unvote, for several obvious reasons.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

Guys, I'm fairly confident abilities aren't alignment indicative like they would be in other games, so you need to stop trying to use that to scumhunt and do some real scumhunting.

Starver: Why are you so certain you've revealed the SK? Town players could be given kill actions as well, the SK's just guaranteed to get one. And why would you unvote someone you think is the SK? The only person who wouldn't want an SK dead is an SK-ally.

Its also worth pointing out that kingawesume mentioned he had a kill role before your own post:
The wine's on the table; I have a kill role, now who's going to trip it?

Hey-a, 4mask...

Ya mind explaining why I got an "appear as town" ability from you?
I'm fairly sure that any player can get any ability. Having an ability that adjusts alignment detection results doesn't mean that that player is mafia.

If they were to use that ability, then that would certainly merit a vote, though.
Yeah, there are some pretty useless abilities in play. Why did you feel the need to defend 4maskwolf and not wait for him to defend himself here?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

The only person who wouldn't want an SK dead is an SK-ally.
I'm fairly sure that there are no SK allies in this game, based on the OP.
~~~
Why did you feel the need to defend 4maskwolf and not wait for him to defend himself here?
I'm fairly sure he would have said much the same thing, so I saved him the time. This way, he has more time for scumhunting.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The only person who wouldn't want an SK dead is an SK-ally.
I'm fairly sure that there are no SK allies in this game, based on the OP.
Right now, if the kill-action indicates SK (like, as I said, I was chancing on if that meant Mafia), the SK is disarmed. I'd prefer to kill Mafia, at this point, than someone not so proven to be Team Scum as I (mistakenly) had started to believe.

Between me (Town, by my own certainty alone, but that's good enough for me, if not anybody else) and a likely SK (who I have at least 'outed', thus not a secret I'd now take to my grave), I'd naturally prefer to lynch the likely SK. But getting one (of the one to three) Mafioso remains by far the better prize. And I didn't want the Scum to roll up in the inevitable Hammer that (in my misguidedly triumphant assessment) I was originally hoping to lead. Now it depends on who wants to go ahead with my claim anyway. And why. There's good Townie reasons for it (though not the usual ones) at least as good as the not brilliant reasons for Team Mafia to get rid of the apparently revealed independent*.

Or maybe it's an odd WIFOM of my own. Can't work out why I'd do it, but that's for others to consider.

Anyway: My fault for not waiting until I was back home, next to my notes, before I jumped onto the much-sought-for clue that I was looking for to break my exasperated confusion, and desperate want for a handle on the situation. Now, I'll readily admit that I'm basically back to "carefully check my notes when I get home" mode, looking for the small clues I thought I'd just blasted out of the water. I will be home tomorrow PM (18 hours hence, if travelling when I plan to), but until then consider me back in the puzzled scanning state, not actively on a scent like I momentarily was.

* - Note: when I checked the possibilities of N mafia (from 1 mafia + 10 town to 7 mafia + 4 town), I also checked against possible numbers of Independents, all the way up to 1M+4T+6T. Which turned out to be a fractional percentage. Actual exact numbers, if anyone wants them, can be given tomorrow.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile

I don't see why a serial killer would claim the kill action in the middle of d2, really. If you missed that, read the game more closely forchrissakes, you really shouldn't have. And this focus on/use of probabilities seems... misguided at best. Overly subjective, almost, given that you were the only one to recieve this data.

Which tips it for me. At least until the inevitable explanation arrives.
I can see why you'd put this, but it looks very oddly defensive next to the, "oh, so I found the sk then."
One wheel short of a wagon

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's always an explanation. Doesn't mean it'd be believable. Regardless of its truth. But it's what I'd judge.

If we can't judge on skillset (or rely on stats, and note that I gave you the limits of those I was working to), we have to judge on intentions. Right now, I know that I stuck my head above the wrong parapet, but I've put myself there, so it's my mess to explain. Hence my explanations for you to judge (or take advantage of, whoever needs to do that).

By the way, I presume its the Swap that went to King and then to 4mask that just came back to me (via unknown 4th/5thmetc parties, or not?). It's possible someone wanted to test my claim like I tested King's. Or maybe someone wanted the Kill Action.  Putting that out there. (They missed, whatever the idea, and that someone now newly has the "Twice per night you can swap a copy of this ability with an ability belonging to everyone targeting you. Action: Swap.", instead,.)  FYI. It's there for you to work on if I don't play this good enough from this point on.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

kingawesume, you've voted for nolynch and bandwagoned on a player that turned out to be town. What reason do we have not to lynch you today?
Are you serious with this?
Indeed. If he didn't or couldn't use his kill ability, and hasn't played well, why do we keep him alive? It was a question for him to answer. But I don't feel bad about having my vote on him either, if that's your point. Why d'you ask?
So why not ask about that abilities you logic'd out that he might have, instead of something that doesn' even necessarily point out as scum when you have better reasons presented? That's why I'm asking; you've a wealth of other, better reasons, and yet the ones you bring up are superficial.

That and why didn't YOU vote yesterday too? Who are your suspects overall?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile

kingawesume, you've voted for nolynch and bandwagoned on a player that turned out to be town. What reason do we have not to lynch you today?
Are you serious with this?
Indeed. If he didn't or couldn't use his kill ability, and hasn't played well, why do we keep him alive? It was a question for him to answer. But I don't feel bad about having my vote on him either, if that's your point. Why d'you ask?
So why not ask about that abilities you logic'd out that he might have, instead of something that doesn' even necessarily point out as scum when you have better reasons presented? That's why I'm asking; you've a wealth of other, better reasons, and yet the ones you bring up are superficial.

That and why didn't YOU vote yesterday too? Who are your suspects overall?
I had no idea what abilities King might have, except for the kill he claimed. Are you confusing me with someone else?
I didn't vote because Max was being lynched and I was fine with it, but there wasn't any real risk of a tie. In terms of overall suspects, I'm not going to post another reads list until later in the day. Starver is acting suspisciously, with the SK thing, which is what's occupying my thoughts right now.
One wheel short of a wagon

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

Preset animations are ran through, while some of the participants dig themselves a hole.

*Tiruin
MoonyTheHuman
Shakerag
FallacyofUrist
NJW2000
Starver
4maskwolf - [1] - kingawsume
kingawsume - [2] - NJW2000, FallacyofUrist
Persus13
juicebox - [1] - Tiruin
No lynch

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse

Ok. I've spent hours musing, so here i go: I'm the one who blocked everyone. I can block everyone's first actions. I'm going to use this to give us more time to think and weed out the scum. If me saying this backfires, all i can say is: Whoops!
However, if you all demand i stop, fine by me.

EDIT: As it wasn't clear: Yes, i'll stop if you all demand it. Its not just 'fine, ok, i'll ignore you'
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 10:35:30 am by MoonyTheHuman »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am conflicted.

On the one hand, no kills, on the other hand, no night data.

I am so very conflicted.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse

I am conflicted.

On the one hand, no kills, on the other hand, no night data.

I am so very conflicted.
Well, if someone has a secondary night actions (that they can take alongside their first) that gets data, the 'no night data' issue is lesser.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, if someone has a secondary night actions (that they can take alongside their first) that gets data, the 'no night data' issue is lesser.
But each person can only take one action per night(exception being if the action they take can be used twice).
Generic Arms Race.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse

Hrm. Conflict intesifies
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 38