Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 58

Author Topic: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting  (Read 456261 times)

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Eternal Suggestion Voting
« Reply #675 on: February 17, 2013, 07:09:02 pm »

((It wouldn't be very interesting if your war bear cavalerie suddenly decides to hang out in the meeting hall, wouldn't it))
What's wrong with that?  :P

Actually, giving riders the ability to control a mount might largely be solved by putting the rider in charge of movement. For the most part, that'd be like treating the rider/mount combination as if it was merely a dwarf on foot (unless the mount can fly). And a mount / dismount option could be added to the squads or military screen. As long as the dwarf automatically dismounts when certain criteria are met (inactive, training, etc) and re-mounts when back on alert and on duty, I don't see the problem.

I wouldn't even mind seeing the occasional mounted dwarf go get a drink as they'd probably travel faster. (Though using a throne to eat at a dining room may be problematic.) Anyway, with proper scheduling, it shouldn't come up often as the militia can drink from flasks and eat rations from backpacks.

The only other problem I can think of is how grazing animals like horses need grass or moss to survive. So this would have to be solved somehow for grazer mounts. (Maybe allow the mounted grazer enough control to seek out local grass as long as there are no enemies nearby? Or give the mount a special backpack containing oats or something, which the rider has to refill whenever he goes on break?)

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: February 18, 2013, 06:44:35 pm »

Mounts sound good, but the only tactical potential I can think of is having marksmen ride flying mounts.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: February 20, 2013, 02:25:29 am »

Mounts sound good, but the only tactical potential I can think of is having marksmen ride flying mounts.
Increased size for charge attacks. Heavily equipped soldiers that can outrun enemy archers.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 27, 2013, 03:48:05 am »

Are there any plans to restart or otherwise do anything to the votes? I'm not sure how many years it's been since a reset, and things might be outdated. I know my votes have been sitting in the same place since around 2010.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 27, 2013, 07:51:06 am »

Are there any plans to restart or otherwise do anything to the votes? I'm not sure how many years it's been since a reset, and things might be outdated. I know my votes have been sitting in the same place since around 2010.

For the votes I control I've wiped them when a release comes out that included work on those topics.
(See vote numbers 393 to 399)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 07:54:57 am by Draco18s »

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #680 on: March 27, 2013, 08:09:55 am »

I would definitelly support this. Improved hauling, numer 2, for example, is done. There are many items that should be purged or merged.

Also, voting system itself could be updated using this reset opportunity - voting for "as much things as you want to" for example.

It could even be brought up to front page after some small facelift.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 27, 2013, 09:00:57 am »

I would definitelly support this. Improved hauling, numer 2, for example, is done. There are many items that should be purged or merged.

When was that worked on?  I don't remember seeing it.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #682 on: March 27, 2013, 09:18:16 am »

Minercarts, Wheelbarrows, using bins to collect multiple items in one trip is all in game.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 27, 2013, 09:20:53 am »

Minercarts, Wheelbarrows, using bins to collect multiple items in one trip is all in game.

*Search*
Huh, I did miss that somehow.  Clearing votes!
Thanks for the heads up.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 09:23:18 am by Draco18s »

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #684 on: March 28, 2013, 09:41:05 am »

*Search*
Huh, I did miss that somehow.  Clearing votes!
Thanks for the heads up.

If you are in housekeeping mood, number 6 has outdated description - currently, mining skill only affects speed, so text related to ensuring that only legendaries mine valuable ores is nonsensical.

Number 9, multihtreading was repeatedly stated to never-ever happen.

Number 10 is partially done (butchery...) another part was already implemented, but not released yet (climbing, jumping)

23 retiting - implemented, unreleased

46 seems like it was implemented with new army management years ago.

50 is same as 9 - never-ever.

57 was done with new army, only it is assigned by squad itself, not by its leader.

63 is done - but hospital zone isntead of workshop, crutches, healing skills.

97 implemented, unreleased

98 is done.

121 is dupe of 63

224 is done.

------

After going throught most of the list, it feels like it is too cluttered and messy to matter anymore. I suggest:
 * "reddit style" up vote/neutral/downvote with unlimited amount of items you can vote on.
 * Sections/Labels:
   - Major overhaul (development-arc grade suggestions like farming overhaul, takes months)
   - Minor change (fairly big change or improvemens, like standing production orders, takes weeks)
   - Trivial feature (basically, low hanging fruit and touch ups like death details view, takes at most days)
Mixing votes between trivial stuff and major is bad for both because it can not accuratelly measure what people would really like, especially if they have to choose between two.
 * Some sort of vetting or filtering on what kid of suggestion is put here to prevent wild ideas that even their own poster abandoned - at minimum, thread with few replies that agree is good start.
 * Ability to bring new ideas to more attention - new suggestion with no votes is doomed to be at botton of list which no-one reads.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 28, 2013, 10:06:42 am »

Personally, I think that generic "I want better *whatever*" suggestions should be removed from the list completely.

I mean, really, it's perfectly clear we do need better economy, better engineering, better armies, and definitely better everything else. We don't need to vote on such things.

So I would suggest restricting the list to feature requests only. Feature requests ("Traps should only be invisible to enemy when camouflaged, camouflage is an auto-generated Trapping job") can be compared and estimated, empty wishes ("I want better traps") cannot.

It would also be nice to group feature requests of a similar kind together. So there would be a "Traps" section, with multiple different suggestions regarding traps. Many of those suggestions will be mutually exclusive, but that's the entire point. As it is now, perfectly good ideas and suggestions may easily be ignored and overlooked because "there's already a suggestion for better traps".
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 28, 2013, 02:25:37 pm »

If you are in housekeeping mood, number 6 has outdated description - currently, mining skill only affects speed, so text related to ensuring that only legendaries mine valuable ores is nonsensical.

I don't have control over any of those.  I am the "owner" on a lot of them, but only because I hit the original suggestion voting threads and dumped their items into the system before anyone else did.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: April 04, 2013, 04:31:16 pm »

Multithreading isn't worth removing, because if it were, it would be added back in by somebody else.

97 is not implemented. Nor is it planned as such; time skipping may be possible in this or future releases, but Toady has said that re-abstracting the world post worldgen would be tricky and is not in the plans. So time skipping post woldgen would have to be much slower than worldgen.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: April 05, 2013, 08:22:47 am »

Multithreading isn't worth removing, because if it were, it would be added back in by somebody else.

When I originally conceived of vote clearing, the only way to do it was delete the entry and re-add it, actual vote clearing came later.
But that's why I edit them to say "don't vote for this, it's been addressed already, wait a version or two."

But yeah.  Multithreating (and a few other non-functional ideas) would just get added back.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: July 23, 2013, 01:06:18 am »

After going through most of the list, it feels like it is too cluttered and messy to matter anymore. I suggest:
 * "reddit style" up vote/neutral/downvote with unlimited amount of items you can vote on.
 * Sections/Labels:
   - Major overhaul (development-arc grade suggestions like farming overhaul, takes months)
   - Minor change (fairly big change or improvemens, like standing production orders, takes weeks)
   - Trivial feature (basically, low hanging fruit and touch ups like death details view, takes at most days)
Mixing votes between trivial stuff and major is bad for both because it can not accuratelly measure what people would really like, especially if they have to choose between two.
 * Some sort of vetting or filtering on what kid of suggestion is put here to prevent wild ideas that even their own poster abandoned - at minimum, thread with few replies that agree is good start.
 * Ability to bring new ideas to more attention - new suggestion with no votes is doomed to be at botton of list which no-one reads.

I just went through the lot, and it was painful.  Short of a replacement system, I'd suggest deleting every suggestion that isn't going to happen, everything with less than three votes, and everything that hasn't gotten a new vote since 0.34.11
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 01:07:56 am by PeridexisErrant »
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 58