Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 38

Author Topic: Spacefox 16x16 Graphic and Tileset (Updated 1/8/2013)  (Read 501669 times)

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spacefox 16x16 Graphic and Tileset (Updated 1/8/2013)
« Reply #315 on: October 27, 2015, 07:22:35 pm »

Well you see in both of the images they are walls from spacefox16x16 and not train tracks for whatever reason. So my overrides which should be working aren't... I say should but all I looked at was the d_init the same so I didn't have to mess with that, alas it seems I must.

Fixed the train tracks I copied had a different d_init.. Didn't check that one. Man it was to easy to fix them and also it fixed the normal ones I believe. Yeah that was was not my fault, I think. I checked 0.40.06 and it had the 30I which should be 30. For the train ramps in d_init. Same for Dwarf Fortress 34_11 Starter Pack r67.... Idk if anyones reported it before though.

I'll post a second version of the spacefox16x16 tileset without the 1234567. I.e fricy's version. :P... With the new walls, I won't make it default though.

Links should be updated. I checked.

Don't see a way to fix the doors being the things used for smoothing and engraving besides overwriting it in the spacefox16x16 tileset but I'd rather not, it's not something you look at often enough and it's not something that's a problem like the train tracks and atm the walls.

Did the walls quickly they show better engraved than they did before. Just a tad, the markings aren't very noticeable without being engraved.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 08:58:40 pm by LeoCean »

TheBloke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 27, 2015, 09:07:35 pm »

I got it all looking how I want!  Thank you so much again Leo, really appreciate all your work on this and the time you took to explain newb stuff to me.

So in total I:
  • Reverted to the original floors
  • Reverted to the original numbers - I know what you mean about magma/water, and those new numbers you did *do* look a lot better.  But I can't live without the Priority numbering :)
  • Changed Minecarts to 159 as you suggested - now I can see the difference between wood and metal minecarts, which is great.  Though sadly not between steel and iron, but that's no big deal for now!  I'm not even really using minecarts much yet.
  • Changed Stockpiles to leocean:178 - I don't know what that tile is *meant* to be for, but I think it looks quite cool as a stockpile :)  It's backgroundy, but still stands out well without overpowering the stuff that's stored on the stockpile itself.

Thanks again Leo! I seriously love Spacefox - I keep trying other tilesets and none of them look remotely as clean and clear as Spacefox, in my view anyway.  So it's awesome you're continuing to add to it and make it even better.  Thanks also to Doren and the other guys you merged work from!

And now I understand a bit about how it works, I will see if I can do any more modding.  I'm no graphics guy, so doubt I can do anything worth posting for anyone else.  But maybe a few more tweaks at least :)

So the only issue I'm left with is the Tracks, which is no big deal (I haven't really started using them in my game yet), and the bleeding of the Workshops which is kind of annoying, but not the end of the world because it clears as soon as I change Z levels.  Maybe someone will have an idea what might be causing that?  It seems like it must be a graphic engine issue, or a TWBT issue?

PS. On the subject of TWBT, I put that line in your suggested "twbt tilesize 18 18 ", but I can't tell that it's actually doing anything?  If I load my game without it, it exactly the same (I compared two screenshots, with and without the line, and it's literally pixel-for-pixel identical.)  And if I run the command from the DFHack console - or try with other numbers, like 16 16 or 24 24 or anything - nothing changes on screen.  Does that mean anything?  Could it be related to the bleeding workshop tiles?

TheBloke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 27, 2015, 09:08:36 pm »

Oh damn I just saw you edited your post with more fixes!  OK let me go merge in what you did, thanks :)

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 27, 2015, 09:14:21 pm »

I used 40 40 and it is definitely different. It makes the tiles bigger since you are on a 1900 montior you may want to use 24 24, it'll make the 16x16 pixel tileset blurrier but not that much since spacefox can merge up there. There's a 24x24 spacefox tileset out there but it's a very old version, which I may update but I can't really use it cause my screens already at the limit for 18x18 which gives me 80 tiles on screen? I believe.

Here's a set of overrides for spacefox I've been meddling with, it's not perfect and it's minimalistic in a sense compared to gemset. It takes from other projects mainly Dorens DF Phoebus Overrides and WIPSet by utkonos Overrides + some stuff by dibujor and edits by dragonplatino? idk the spelling.

Data folder/file or LeoCean Spacefox overrides, don't use LeoCean overrides (that's older), dropbox is being a real pain in my ass by not syncing fully so I had to throw it in a .rar so it would, funnily enough it synced all the god damn new document.txts I spammed to get it to sync the .rar file but not the art folder. Idk it shows in the file on the website that it's there so who knows.

You may or may not want to use twbt tilesize 18 18 in extra_dfhack_init.init since these overrides use 24x24 overrides with a 16x16 tileset and 18x18 is a non blurry middleground.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=152698.0 = Dorens mod

Took the workshops and the bridges from that mod and some other things, not much though.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=152766.0 = WIP mod

Changed the stockpiles again since that grey on grey wasn't working well, it's still grey but the small parts between the main parts are brown.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 09:33:45 pm by LeoCean »

TheBloke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 27, 2015, 09:36:20 pm »

OK got your new changes merged in.  Thanks so much! 

I will stick with the stockpile you changed it (back?) to, that looks better than 178 I picked.  Thanks for reverting the floors, and yeah those walls do stand out a little more.  It's subtle, but you can see they're engraved and that's great.  And the walls in general look a lot smoother/cleaner than in the original Spacefox, I really like them.

Thanks again man, really appreciate it.

Sometime soon I'll make a new general post asking about the bleeding tiles, maybe someone has seen it in the past.

As for twbt filesize, OK I understand it now.  It changes the initial zoom level.  So yeah it was doing something, but I think kept overriding it by pressing F10 to go to the default zoom level :) And then it does nothing in-game, from the DFHack console, I guess it has to run early, before the graphics are initialised.

I've got it set to 18 18 now as you said.  I can't say that I can notice it being particularly sharper - but then I didn't think the default was blurry, either.   It just looks slightly more zoomed-in, to me.  Either way it looks good!

Anyway, I'm going to go play - thanks again, the game is looking even more awesome!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 09:38:47 pm by TheBloke »

TheBloke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 27, 2015, 11:11:14 pm »

After all that, very sadly I have had to go back to the original Spacefox for now :(

Three things:

1. Firstly, I needed to remove "twbt filesize 18 18"

This seemed to conflict with the DFHack Mouse Query plugin, in which I use the track, live and drag options.  Especially drag seemed to get confused - I think mouse query thought the cursor was at a different square than it actually was, such that when I dragged and then clicked, it jumped me back to where I dragged from.  And if I dragged and then changed Z level down/back up, I wouldn't be at the location I last was, the location I dragged to.  The end result was that trying to drag the screen with Mouse Query, it would keep jumping back to where I came from, or sometimes glitch up badly.

So I removed that from extra_dfhack_init.init, and things seemed fine again. 

But then I started to notice:

2. My graphical FPS went way down with the new tileset. 

My init FPS limits are 100 CPU, and 40 graphical.  I never get 100 CPU, the best I can get is about 40, and normally it's about 30.  With the original Spacefox, CPU FPS and GFPS would always be the same, with CPU FPS being the limiting factor unless I was at >=40 FPS, then the GFPS cap would kick in.

With the new Spacefox Override, CPU FPS was still at 30-35, but GFPS was never higher than 25, and often as low as 20.   Even with the game paused, Graphical FPS would hover around 27-28, while of course CPU FPS would go to the maximum.

Checking  Task Manager, I could also see much higher CPU usage than normal.  Normally I see it at 14%, which means 12.5% from one core maxed out (Quad core machine with Hyperthreading = shows as 8 CPUs, so 100% of one core = 12.% in total), and then about 1% of graphical CPU (I believe the game uses one thread for all calculations, and a second one for graphics?)

Using the new Spacefox, it was up to 19-20% total CPU.  So I was using 100% of one core with DF CPU as usual, and then about 50-60% of another core on graphics, much higher than before.  Though still not even 100% on the second, so I don't know why the graphics capped at 25-28 FPS when there was more CPU available.  Inefficiency/bottlenecks in the graphics code, I guess.

In my init settings, I am using mode TWBT of course, and I don't have VSYNC (or the OpenGL method of VSYNC) enabled.  I think the rest is pretty much at default.

Even that wasn't a huge problem; graphic updates were slower, but still quite playable, and I planned to try some tweaking eg that LINEAR/NEAR setting.

However, this *was* the end of the world:

3. My first ever crash in TWBT after 100+ hours of playing:

I've only been playing properly with the new Spacefox Overrides for about 3 hours and then I got a crash, my first in TWBT ever after weeks of constant play, which surely can't be a coincidence :(  I've had a few other DF crashes, but I always check the Details and this is definitely the first in TWBT.

So I'm going to have to go back to original Spacefox for now.  Very sad, because I really like the updated graphics.

I know almost nothing about DF graphics, but it seems to me most probable that it's the mixture of 24px and 16px tiles?  At least that's something unusual/different/not expected maybe?   Or is this done commonly by lots of tilesets?

Tomorrow I might see if I can make a new hybrid version, taking all the 16px tiles from the new Override but not using the 24px ones.  That way I can at least still get the new walls and doors and fixed tracks etc.  And I suppose I could even just do a basic resize on the 24x24, down to 16x16?  Lose a little quality but probably wouldn't be that noticeable at the zoom level I use.

Or maybe it's nothing to do with 24px tiles specifically?  I do use a lot of DFHack plugins, and I am using them constantly via shortcut keys.  Including constant use of Mouse Query, which alters the UI.  Maybe there's some instability there, which only shows up when TWBT/the graphics engine is working harder?  I don't know.  But I am certain it must have been triggered by the new overrides, as I've not done anything different tonight than I've been doing for the last 2-3 weeks of constant DF playing, all of which was with Spacefox.

Oh well, it's sad but not the end of the world - I still love original Spacefox!    And at least now I've learnt a bit about tilesets and know how to make more changes for myself in future :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 11:40:09 pm by TheBloke »

TheBloke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 27, 2015, 11:38:10 pm »

Actually, all that said, I suppose it's just possible that there's a typo or some error in overrides.txt and I didn't notice it for a while because I didn't happen to hit that object? 

I did notice that in some example entries in overrides.txt it mentioned that any incorrect ID/missing graphic would result in an immediate crash.

Though I don't know what extra object would suddenly have appeared on screen when it crashed - I was looking at the same Z floor I had been looking at for ages, and in the couple of hours I played before it crashed I went all over my fortress looking at everything.

By the way Leo, I noticed this in overrides.txt - an extra colon on the end of some definitions.  Is this OK?

Code: [Select]
[OVERRIDE:10:T:StonePillar:leocean16:76:]
[OVERRIDE:10:T:MineralPillar:leocean16:76:]
[OVERRIDE:10:T:ConstructedPillar:leocean16:76:]
[OVERRIDE:10:T:FrozenPillar:leocean16:76]
[OVERRIDE:10:T:LavaPillar:leocean16:76:]
[OVERRIDE:10:T:FeaturePillar:leocean16:76:] #was 72

I think those definitions must be working - StonePillar is a very common one surely - so I guess the extra colon is fine?  Just thought I'd double check.

Tomorrow I'll look through the overrides.txt a bit more closely and double check in case I can see any errors.    It would be great if it was a crash from a typo and nothing more serious!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 11:40:20 pm by TheBloke »

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 28, 2015, 02:52:35 pm »

I'm pretty sure dwarf fortress only uses one core for everything? Maybe I'm wrong about that but people are constantly saying it's better to have one good core for df than multiple ones, since it's a pretty old game and it wasn't updated for multi cores. Once it is well it'll be a lot better.

The extra colons may or may not be a problem, those are left overs they don't need to be there of course but they also do nothing it's just coloring. I think before there was a number there? Maybe, it wouldn't hurt to get rid of those but it's not likely the problem. The problem may be to many overrides but I'm hoping it's not, it's only half the size of gem set.

Did you notice the drag on your computer before you turned tilesize 18 18 off? I don't run into problems with them being on but then I don't use the mouse pluggin anymore since it didn't work well for me in the past (alas it is better than manual stuff) I use macros afterall. I'll at least admit that when a forgotten beast came to my fort my fort went to 1-2 fps for a minute or so for no reason what so ever. I don't know if turning twbt tilesize off will make it crash like it did for you but I at least think it was put in there so you could use different size tilesets together.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 03:58:29 pm by LeoCean »

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #323 on: October 28, 2015, 07:00:49 pm »

After all that, very sadly I have had to go back to the original Spacefox for now :(

Three things:

1. Are you using mousequery and several other plugins bundled with the TWBT package?

2. Of course processing all the overrides takes some time so that's expected.

3. I'll try to check what I can find at the offset from the screenshot. What TWBT version is this?
Unfortunately not seeing TWBT as the module name in the Details window doesn't mean it's not TWBT because if it corrupts something, it may crash in the main DF binary instead. So I'm always interested in information about crashes happening when TWBT is enabled only, even if it doesn't say crash is in TWBT.

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 28, 2015, 08:08:32 pm »

He should be playing the latest starter pack (since he started playing df 3 weeks ago and he did say he was using the LNP graphics for spacefox) so I'd assume it's whatever version that is. I'm playing on r4 since I don't want to upgrade.... Nor have any problems I'm running into which I need to..  :P

TheBloke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 29, 2015, 07:09:45 pm »

Hey guys

Leo:  OK I will try again with twbt tileset enabled and see if I get another crash. 

mifki:  Thanks so much for TWBT - I was never around to play DF without it, but I can see it makes an enormous difference to the game!  One time I ran DF without it and it looked way worse :)

And now I have just seen your signature about multitouch on OSX!  Wow, very interesting.  I have been getting sick of using Windows and might go back to running my Hackintosh (OSX on normal PC), and improved DF usage would make it even more tempting!  I have an Apple multi-touch mouse.

OK, as for your points:  Yeah I'm using the latest PyLNP version, which is r16.   The DFHack version is 40.24-r3.   I don't know how to check the TWBT version, however I can see that twbt.plug.dll is dated 19/04/2015 and I see that the most recent version on Github is 17th April, so seems very likely I am using the latest! 

In terms of DFHack features/plugins I am using - most things!  PyLNP enables a lot of things, and a couple of things it didn't enable I have enabled myself.   

But anything that is not included with PyLNP I am not using, yet. The only thing I have tried adding to the PyLNP bundle is some new graphic tilesets, of which the only one I've wanted to use are LeoCean's updates.  I have not installed any other scripts or plugins on my own, yet.

As you can see at the end I have also added DFHack hotkeys for things like Enhanced Stocks screen, "autodump destroy", "clean all mud item snow", and also some "job-item material" specifications, and more.  I use these and other DFHack hotkeys quite often.    A couple of times when I've had DF/DFHack crash it has been when hitting DFHack hotkeys: one time when I hit Control-F1 to see the list of hotkeys, another time when I hit Control-Shift-X, they key I have assigned to Enhanced Stocks ("stocks show")

As mentoned at the end of the code block, until tonight I had menu-mouse enabled.  I have now disabled it, both because I can't really see that it does much at all, and also because when I was just trying to get it to do something, by clicking all over on different things with mousequery disabled, I got another DF crash (another generic one in DwarfFortress.exe.)  It may have nothing to do with menu-mouse, but given I can't even see what it does - the only feature I can seem to see is the "X"  it adds to close full screen text windows - there's no point running it and adding another plugin that could crash.

Hope that is of some help.  I will try more testing myself soon, including with twbt filesize and with mousequery disabled (just for testing - I don't think I can stand playing without it for too long! :) )

Thanks again guys.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 07:13:00 pm by TheBloke »

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 29, 2015, 11:03:47 pm »

Text will be Text v5.45 is what the starter pack says. Mifki's using a newer one, which is why he'd ask you that, plus other reasons.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

Second post shows version stuff..

TheBloke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 30, 2015, 06:50:18 am »

Yup I'm using version 5.45.

I don't think there's a newer version of TWBT than 5.45?  I looked on mifki's Github and the latest release is 5.45, and there had only been 5 commits since that release.   I guess mifki is running from the latest compiled source but hasn't released a new general version yet?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 07:07:44 am by TheBloke »

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #329 on: November 01, 2015, 03:18:01 am »

Yup I'm using version 5.45.

I don't think there's a newer version of TWBT than 5.45?  I looked on mifki's Github and the latest release is 5.45, and there had only been 5 commits since that release.   I guess mifki is running from the latest compiled source but hasn't released a new general version yet?

Latest binaries are always at http://build.mifki.com
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 38