Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bay Watcher....  (Read 2404 times)

whatever1works

• Bay Watcher
  • *Flips table*
    • View Profile
Bay Watcher....
« on: March 10, 2015, 12:45:29 am »

Long time lurker..
I've been playing Dwarf Fortress for probs 2 years, checking the forumns for useful guides and such. However,
Today it had just occured to me what 'Bay Watcher' means on the little descriptor thing on the side of the profile side.
Bay Watcher, as in a watcher of Bay12...   :'(   ::)

Took me long enough.

What I'd always thought it meant:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, a related question, why are is Bay12 called Bay12? Truely, what is the significance of this name? Why 12? Why Bay?

"Do you want some fish balls?", "No thanks I'll have a steak please"

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Bay Watcher....
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 12:51:28 am »

Bay 12 is an alien reference IIRC. Starcraft 2 had the same reference, though there was also a stout, bearded mechanical genius in the room, so I guess that's a double reference.

Also, pretty sure Bay Watcher is a pun on Bay Watch anyway.

whatever1works

• Bay Watcher
  • *Flips table*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 01:11:56 am »

I didn't know that... it seems an awfully obscure thing to reference, i mean DF and Starcraft are like chalk and cheese. Aside from the mechanic you mentioned, i kinda feel that there could be SO many different things to reference dwarves to, like Snow White and 7 Dwarves, and really any stuff related to beer, gold, gems, alcohol, magma, LoTR, industry, metalworking, etc. Like what does Bay Watch have to do with DF?

Dwarves can't even swim if you dont train them...
"Do you want some fish balls?", "No thanks I'll have a steak please"

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 01:16:59 am »

>> Bay 12 is an alien reference IIRC.

Yeah, it's the name of the loading bay where Ripley drives the SCV forklift thing.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 01:23:00 am »

Yeah, it's the name of the loading bay where Ripley drives the SCV forklift thing.
I really, REALLY want an SCV forklift thing now.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 01:31:33 am »

I didn't know that... it seems an awfully obscure thing to reference, i mean DF and Starcraft are like chalk and cheese. Aside from the mechanic you mentioned, i kinda feel that there could be SO many different things to reference dwarves to, like Snow White and 7 Dwarves, and really any stuff related to beer, gold, gems, alcohol, magma, LoTR, industry, metalworking, etc. Like what does Bay Watch have to do with DF?

They've been Bay 12 Games since before Dwarf Fortress.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 02:48:28 am »

They've been Bay 12 Games since before the original Armok, as far as I know.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 03:02:46 am »

When I was growing up in California we had this artificial pond we put in our backyard and the toads found it and colonised it, that's how I got my name ... Zach and I used to make little BASIC programs and we would call them 'Toady One the Great Productions' because that's what we named the pond ... We wrote it in the concrete with our fingers, 'A Toady One the Great Production', in this pond where we were expecting some toads to show up, but not in the hundreds - they did show up in the hundreds though, the pond was always filled with tadpoles - but we always called the early BASIC games, this was before we called them Bay12 games, we just called them 'Toady One the Great Productions'. When I started up the webpage in 2000 Zach and I were like 'Well, you might as well call yourself Toady One' and he had a guinea pig so he called himself Three Toe, and we were happy with that, so ... But toads, always toads, yeah.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 11:59:13 am »

Dwarves aren't really a reference, much like beds aren't a reference.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 03:34:59 pm »

WoW also has a few DF references, so it's not like Blizzard hasn't heard of the game.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2015, 02:55:02 am »

I heard SCV good to go sir in my head as soon as i read that post.

orders received

"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 03:40:05 am »

Ah, found a clip of the reference in Aliens.

"Where d'ya want it?"
"Bay 12. Please."

https://vimeo.com/101745089  @ about 1:00

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 06:45:32 am »

I heard SCV good to go sir in my head as soon as i read that post.

orders received
Run out of marines, didya?
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"