Bogshire (Blue guys)
- 5 (6.8%)
Stonemeadow (Orange guys)
- 26 (35.6%)
We gonna stick it out on our own!
- 42 (57.5%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 73

Author Topic: Build a village: A New Hope  (Read 144807 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Build a village: A New Hope
« Reply #975 on: September 29, 2011, 09:20:31 pm »

Have jaian build a House out of bricks with a strong wooden door. And possibly strong wooden window shutters. make it big enough to house the entire village and then some.
Veto !!! We need bricks for our wall we can make the houses out of a combination planks, mud, sticks, and leaves to make a very good shelter, so save the bricks for the wall.
Agree. Veto.
Veto. I mean everyone on food. Even if that means the village will continue to look like a dump for another day or two.
We don't even have the stuff to gather food since we only have one spear

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: September 29, 2011, 10:00:10 pm »

have a worker Sharpen sticks then fire harden them

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: September 29, 2011, 11:22:41 pm »

Have jaian build a House out of bricks with a strong wooden door. And possibly strong wooden window shutters. make it big enough to house the entire village and then some.
Veto !!! We need bricks for our wall we can make the houses out of a combination planks, mud, sticks, and leaves to make a very good shelter, so save the bricks for the wall.
Agree. Veto.
Veto. I mean everyone on food. Even if that means the village will continue to look like a dump for another day or two.
We don't even have the stuff to gather food since we only have one spear
I reckon we got 10.
But I agree 20 will be a better number. We shall have spares.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: September 29, 2011, 11:49:36 pm »

We also consistently sell them to traders.

Spears seem to be easy money, I suggest we make like fifty and start fire hardening them for the next caravan.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: September 30, 2011, 01:29:45 am »

Initially I was for going independent, but as of now, I think we would do well to side with Stonemeadow. Here is why:

1.) Provided it is as useful and open-ended as it seems (hiring builders, guards, etc.) their discount on goods and services far outweighs what the Bogshire folks offered us.
2.) Ready supply of metal and metal tools. Like it Dwarf Fortress, most industries just take the proper infrastructure, resources, and workforce. Finished goods are exactly what a small village like ours needs, and agriculture is exactly what we can provide.
3.) Stonemeadow's small population. I see this potentially benefiting us, in that they are unlikely to have a large army that could march against us. We're certainly no fortress, but if one of the two sought to expand, I'm pretty sure the other would intervene. Of course, this works both ways- if we find ourselves at ends with Bogshire, we might be outnumbered. But at least we'll have green metal. :P
4.) Stonemeadow lacks agricultural output. Aside from being as easy niche for us to fill while still filling our own bellies, what this means is that Stonemeadowers looking for a better way of life may be likely to find their way to New Hope and help us grow. Having good relations with their country of origin would be a good thing- in time, they might see us as a sister state.
5.) Stonemeadow seems to need what we have, i.e. food. If we give it to them in fair trade, we will lessen the possibility of them taking it by force. We might even earn their protection in goodwill if those towns to the north get pushy. 

I am still interested in hearing what Bogshire has to say about themselves (and Stonemeadow, for that matter), and to that end I think we should send a runner, but I find our current guests and their offer rather appealing.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: September 30, 2011, 04:49:11 am »

> Everyone should be either making spears, or fishing, in whatever distribution maximizes net value over the long term.

Also, those are some rock-solid arguments Ibid. I REALLY think we should go with that.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 04:53:28 am by Armok »
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: September 30, 2011, 05:32:12 am »

> Everyone should be either making spears, or fishing, in whatever distribution maximizes net value over the long term.

Also, those are some rock-solid arguments Ibid. I REALLY think we should go with that.
Much seconding of this.

Alternatecash

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING: [flammable head]
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: September 30, 2011, 05:46:47 am »

We can throw up a wattle and daub house on the double, then divert everyone to food production.
Explore a half-ruined facility and play with dangerous
mutagens in my forum game.
It's back! A bit. Seriously, jump in.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: September 30, 2011, 06:35:21 am »

So much bickering over what kind of house to build...
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: September 30, 2011, 06:46:49 am »

I see my mandates are not working.

I propose that we can decide by making a few polls:

1. What to do next? -Food, Wall, Housing, Industry. I'm not saying that they can't go on at the same time, but there should be some kind of focus. While the more specilized chromosians can carry on with their best job, eventually there will be a someone free.

2. What kind of house we are going to build? We see mud/mudbrick, Brick, Timber/brick, and timber. All are viable, though anything using bricks would need a lot of effort in procuring bricks.

3. Industry - I can see pottery/earthenware, wooden wares/quarterstaffs, and food export. This would also impart our trade deal, since one of them is clearly lacking food, while the other is lacking metal.

4. Wall - are we going to build the wall or not? though I can see this as a lower priority unless everyone voted yes.

Me:
1: Food; 2. Mud; 3. Pottery; 4. Brick on outside, dirt inside

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: September 30, 2011, 07:16:02 am »

If one of the industries IS food, then there is no reason to decide betwn industry and food, or to pursue a non food type industry nor non industry type food.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: September 30, 2011, 09:14:06 am »

Concerning the wall:

Some people are saying that it would be best to built the wall out of bricks, becuase they are strong. However, the number of situations in which the physical strength of a brick wall would be needed is absurdly small. The physical strength of a wall is irrelevant, as long as it posesses at least some minor degree of strength. A dirt wall, possibly reinforced with timber, would certainly have the required strength. It would also be a lot easier and faster to build than a brick wall. Furthermore, such a dirt wall can easily be made thick enough to stand on, whereas a brick wall tall enough to be effective and thick enough to stand on will need an obscene number of bricks.

Concerning the structure of the shelter, the physical strength is also not important, as long as it is strong enough to withstand the weather. If any attackers manage to make it to the shelter, then we're definitely doing something wrong.

Concerning the traders, I suggest we side with the second ones. Not only will their service discount potentially be very lucrative, but we have plenty of access to exactly the stuff they need - food and land.

For the industry, I suggest that we focus heavily on food, especially fish. Not only are our own supplies dangerously low, but the traders are in big demand for food, which means we can get a really good price from them.

I would like to propose the following plan of action for the buildings in the settlement:

First, we build the wall. It will be made out of dirt, about three feet thick (so people can stand on it), and the edge that faces the moat will be plated with timber, so we have a strong vertical surface there.

Once we have a section of the wall up, we can start to build the shelter. We can make a mud structure, using the inside of the settlement wall as the rear wall of the shelter.

Now, a few points I'd like to make about the possible building materials:

Bricks are not good. In fact, bricks are very bad. Not only do we have the issue about the strength being not needed, bricks take obscenely long to produce. Our current brick stockpile is 182 bricks, after we spend pretty much a whole day with two chromes working solidly on them. If we take a chrome to be about six feet tall, we have roughly enough bricks to build a wall six feet tall and six feet long. In order to build a brick house big enough for just one or two, we would need hundreds, possibly thousands of bricks. In order to build a brick wall around the settlement, we would need tens of thousands of bricks. The time required to manufacture so many bricks, let alone assemble them into a wall, would be far, far too much.

Mud, on the other hand, is good. Mud buildings are plenty strong enough, can be build very fast, and have materials in abundance. Furthermore, the very act of harvesting additional material can do done in such a way that it expands out moat and makes our defences better.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: September 30, 2011, 09:53:45 am »

And if we ever do go for a stronger wall, we could cut large slabs of rock from the canyon and cart them to the village.
*Hugs*

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: September 30, 2011, 10:02:11 am »

I think that once we get enough workers, we should start a farm over in the plains area. This would mean we could supply food to stonemeadow, and worry less about our own food supply.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #989 on: September 30, 2011, 01:44:35 pm »

I'm voting against any kind of brick wall right now. We have nowhere near the manpower or bricks required. I still think a nice brick structure would be good though.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 73