Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3744286 times)

BradUffner

• Bay Watcher
  • BradUffner has begun a mysterious construction.
    • View Profile
    • Gump Studio
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4485 on: November 27, 2012, 06:04:50 pm »

Well hey, if there's 200 masterwork beds in the room, it MUST be a great place to stay!
"And over there to the left is the Dwarven Orgy Hall."
Raw Explorer - Easily navigate and edit your raw files via GUI! - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103360.0
Tile Genie - Merge multiple tilesets - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77724.0

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4486 on: November 27, 2012, 07:06:09 pm »

Well hey, if there's 200 masterwork beds in the room, it MUST be a great place to stay!
"And over there to the left is the Dwarven Orgy Hall."
"Otherwise known as the Sporium."
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 07:10:16 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4487 on: November 27, 2012, 08:03:36 pm »

I guess it depends on how you build you dorm z-level wise. I go with my own version of the Appartment complex having 8 or so rooms on each z-level over 5 Z-levels. I can easely fit atleast 5 Of those in one Maptile X and Y wise. A flat sprawl like i see it often in the LPs needs smaller rooms to cram ~200 dorfs in. 

I can see thought that toady goes with smaller rooms just to get similar populations to Human cities for the Mountainhomes. I wonder if we get elaborate aboveground fortifications for dorfs ... and drowning chambers.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4488 on: November 28, 2012, 12:03:38 am »

Am I the only one who doesn't use square bedrooms? Whenever I make my apartment complexes, I use 1x4 rooms, they're much easier to nestle together in nice little fractal arrangements.
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4489 on: November 28, 2012, 12:36:16 am »

Am I the only one who doesn't use square bedrooms? Whenever I make my apartment complexes, I use 1x4 rooms, they're much easier to nestle together in nice little fractal arrangements.
Later migrants are pleased to see 3x3, or 3x2, but if I'm pressed, say hello to 3x1
Waapaah.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4490 on: November 28, 2012, 01:31:43 am »

If you want more bedroom on the same z level, more walls for engraving and better pathing, go for the modified windmill villas
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

Nyotor Lizardhammers

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4491 on: November 28, 2012, 08:52:20 am »

If Ruined NPC forts are reclaimable, what items should I expect to find scattered around? Will metal items correspond to local ore deposits and/or will armor and weapons usually be iron and steel What creatures would I find lurking in the ruins?

Not sure if this has been asked before but I thought it was worth a try. Pardon if that's too many questions.
Nyo Ho Ho!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4492 on: November 28, 2012, 09:05:48 am »

With Dwarven fortresses being put in place, are there any plans for linking the the materials that humans build their castles with to the materials their friendly dwarven trading partners dug out?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4493 on: November 28, 2012, 09:37:08 am »

With Dwarven fortresses being put in place, are there any plans for linking the the materials that humans build their castles with to the materials their friendly dwarven trading partners dug out?

So will there be mines in the next version? I'm thinking at the very least deep settlements with areas dedicated to mining.

Because its reasonable, and Toady has already mentioned magma forges in the depths.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4494 on: November 28, 2012, 11:28:48 am »

My 4x3 rooms are apparently the height of decadance!
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4495 on: November 28, 2012, 11:51:32 am »

I remember building elaborate riverside housing districts next to the cave river, with bridges, elegant paths, statues, and hobbity homes carved into the side. They eventually got paved with cave crocs, of course.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4496 on: November 28, 2012, 12:06:59 pm »

So will there be mines in the next version? I'm thinking at the very least deep settlements with areas dedicated to mining.

Because its reasonable, and Toady has already mentioned magma forges in the depths.
There will be areas dedicated to mining in the deep sites. We have head nothing about mines and mining otherwise in the next release, but it is unlikely to come in - the mines on the dev page are linked with the 3d-vein work, and we have nothing indicating that Toady wants to go there for the next release yet.

Quote from: Toady One
I'm working on deep dwarven sites, .... Aside from the living, farming and workshop areas, there'll be zones for mining and storage as well. Certain of them have barons, and those'll have an additional area.

Humans will eventually have mines of their own, so they don't particularly need dwarven trade for those materials, though it would probably help. Either way, the framework should be mostly in place already thanks to the caravan arc work that Toady has already done. All that's really left is to make the fortress-building use reasonable materials, rather than go for bituminous coal, pitchblende, and native aluminum.

Toady, how large are the worldgen fortress sites at the moment? Are they strictly of something like 4x4 dimensions or can they vary?
The trade and holdings maps seem to be accurate in that respect, the largest sizes being 17x17 pixels, so the dwarf fortresses seem to be 3x3 in size.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4497 on: November 28, 2012, 07:51:40 pm »

All that's really left is to make the fortress-building use reasonable materials, rather than go for bituminous coal, pitchblende, and native aluminum.
Microcline?
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4498 on: November 28, 2012, 08:06:23 pm »

All that's really left is to make the fortress-building use reasonable materials, rather than go for bituminous coal, pitchblende, and native aluminum.
Microcline?

Hey, someone has to use it.
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4499 on: November 28, 2012, 08:07:07 pm »

Really, just restricting fortresses to layer stones would get rid of most of the silly ones, and it would make sense, because layer stones are obviously the most plentiful and thus easiest to build things with.
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 748