Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: A Dance with Ice and Fire  (Read 28334 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: A Dance with Ice and Fire
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2013, 08:04:52 am »

Kinda but maybe a little less so.

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2013, 08:13:46 am »

Oh, that's because the font's glyph doesn't fill the entire tile, it's terminal dependent.
If I change the font to a square one it might work. It's up to the end user to pick their favourite font with the curses interface.

I'll keep it in mind when I add the OpenGL renderer though.
A Dance With Ice and Fire
An open-world roguelike based off the world of "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2013, 08:17:21 am »

Cool thanks.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2013, 09:01:15 am »

This looks really interesting.

On the topic of houses and maps I figure you might find some of these images useful.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2013, 09:34:00 am »

This looks really interesting.

On the topic of houses and maps I figure you might find some of these images useful.

Too cartoon-ish but still useful, thanks a bunch!
An open-world roguelike based off the world of "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2013, 11:26:29 am »

looks amazing so far, hope you keep at it, would like to play it when you have it where you'd like it.  I'm especially interested in the survival elements, been digging into Unreal World again past couple weeks waiting for the new DF update

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2013, 12:04:27 pm »

looks amazing so far, hope you keep at it, would like to play it when you have it where you'd like it.  I'm especially interested in the survival elements, been digging into Unreal World again past couple weeks waiting for the new DF update

I play UrW when I'm bored or taking a break, killed two njerps just now in fact. So expect a lot of "survivial" elements. :)
It won't be as annoying as ADOM in that regard, the world is full of food sources.. why reduce it to a meagre random chance?
Hunting will require a fair bit of effort though.

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2013, 02:23:02 am »

If anyone would care to test first stage of terrain generation on their machine, here's a 64-bit Ubuntu binary: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27714141/adwif.tar.bzip2

Run this to install the dependencies: sudo apt-get install libboost1.54-dev libopenvdb1.1 libncursesw5 libnoise0 libphysfs1 libfreeimage3

I hope I didn't miss anything.

Expect terrain to appear around you as you move around. This is terrain streaming, not a bug. In the final version terrain streaming will be used to load areas you're expected to visit (through heuristics and the world/travel map) before you reach them, I haven't implemented those algorithms yet, so it tries to generate terrain around you in a sphere with a radius of 1 for now.

If it crashes or locks up (CPU use will go down to zero) please do tell. You can use standard roguelike controls, with the exception of diagonal movement keys, arrow keys will do for now. Also, no collision is implemented yet, so you're basically omnipresent.

I've included debug symbols so that's why the uncompressed file is so large, those of you who know what those are will know what to do. Sources are on github. :)

The game leaves files in ~/.adwif, remove them when you're done, oh, and if you move around a lot it'll eat a lot of disk space.

If you pass --unicode as an argument it'll run in unicode mode, if you dislike the debug output it spews try to redirect stderr like this: ./adwif 2> /dev/null

Thanks!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2013, 04:59:01 am »

Might take a look if I can get it to work on Windows.

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2013, 07:37:08 am »

Might take a look if I can get it to work on Windows.

Hm, that might be a good idea.. I'll see if I can get a windows build going for other people.

Thanks.

Edit: I'll have to write an libtcod/OpenGL backend first, I guess I know what I'll be doing today.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 08:04:20 am by voodooattack »

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2013, 02:33:41 pm »

Sorry for the double post, but I'll do that if something important comes up every now and then.

And here is one: OpenGL renderer is complete!

Now I need to iron out the kinks and try to compile it for Windows.. oh god help me.

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2013, 05:40:43 pm »

Have fun with that.

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2013, 03:22:42 am »

Have fun with that.

Yeah, not going to be fun. I need to fix my Visual Studio installation so that's on hold.

In other news, I added layered "3D" rendering.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2013, 03:26:59 am »

:o
Ok that's beautiful.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2013, 03:49:27 am »

Have fun with that.

Yeah, not going to be fun. I need to fix my Visual Studio installation so that's on hold.

In other news, I added layered "3D" rendering.

FUCK YES.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15