Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 373

Author Topic: DFHack 0.34.11 r3  (Read 1404432 times)

mr_nomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFHack 0.34.11 r2
« Reply #3060 on: February 25, 2013, 07:12:16 am »

So I had an error in DF of some kind that caused a massive tantrum spiral. I had legendary dining rooms, lots of food and booze, and individual great quality bedrooms for every dwarf. It didn't matter though because the negative thoughts were just outweighing all the positive I had (had two popular dwarves die at the same time due to burrows/forbidding doors refusing to work). Worst part is I'd unfortunately saved right after they died so I couldn't savescum. So I started looking for a DF utility to reset bad moods so I could fix this because I felt cheated by a bug (as opposed to legitimate !!FUN!!) and I'd already put a ton of effort into this fortress.

I finally came across this thread and realized the utility I was using (stonesense) was actually just a small part of this big awesome suite of tools and one of the listed tools in the documentation was called removebadthoughts. Only problem is apparently removebadthoughts is a ruby script and it requires the ruby plugin which doesn't come default with the standard dfhack install. Fortunately I discovered the github instructions on how to build your own version from the source files and after a ton of swearing and experimentation managed to pull it off.

In memory of the pain of the past 6 hours of searching, sweating, and tinkering, I decided to save as many people as I can the trouble I went through (as awesome as dfhack is it's still very much developer focused and not very layman friendly). So I've thrown up a vanilla build of dwarf fortress with nothing but the fully built version of dfhack for anyone who would like access to some of the more obscure scripts. I offer a word of warning though that there's probably a good reason that Peterix didn't include all of these in the standard build (instability issues most likely). I've tested and confirmed that all the default scripts plus removebadthoughts are fine to use but I can't speak for anything else so use them at your own peril (just backup your saves and you should be safe). Also this is windows only, sorry to anyone else but I only have my windows 7 machine working right now and I can't really build a linux version at the moment (maybe later on). Anyhow here you are:

Dwarf Fortress 0.31.11 + DFHack (All Scripts)

TL;DR
- Download the above link if you want access to every single DFHack script including all the ones not packaged in the normal version (like removebadthoughts).

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: February 25, 2013, 07:56:09 am »

Actually a more likely reason that those scripts are not included in the standard build is that they, quite simple, are made after the last release. The next one most likely will have them.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: February 25, 2013, 08:07:16 am »

I think there's something to be said for relying on Peterix and GitHub as the source of DFHack. I can trust that source. Question: Are there still some Anti-virus software which give a false warning about DFHack? Or was that just with the old 2010 versions?

Anyway, after downloading this and trying to open the archive, I find I can't because it says it is corrupted or incomplete. I deleted and downloaded again, but got the same problem.  ???

Also, personally, I'd much prefer to download just the DFHack portion by itself, without Dwarf Fortress.

mr_nomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: February 25, 2013, 08:07:33 am »

Actually a more likely reason that those scripts are not included in the standard build is that they, quite simple, are made after the last release. The next one most likely will have them.

Possibly but in looking/asking around I did come across some discussion about crashes and other issues with some of the scripts not included in the normal build (likely because they're still being worked on). I'm just making people aware that there may or may not be potential issues. I don't know enough about all these scripts to say "hey go for it it's fine" so I'd rather throw in that disclaimer then not.

I think there's something to be said for relying on Peterix and GitHub as the source of DFHack. I can trust that source. Question: Are there still some Anti-virus software which give a false warning about DFHack? Or was that just with the old 2010 versions?

Anyway, after downloading this and trying to open the archive, I find I can't because it says it is corrupted or incomplete. I deleted and downloaded again, but got the same problem.  ???

Also, personally, I'd much prefer to download just the DFHack portion by itself, without Dwarf Fortress.

What program are you using to open the archive? Also I can look into throwing up just the dfhack files if you'd like that.

EDIT: ok I tried hosting it again, this version is only the dfhack files. Hope it works for you. And yea I agree that the most trustworthy way to do this is to just build it from github yourself, this is for those people who can't/don't know how. I guess if you don't trust me, don't download it. All I can give is my word that there's no viruses or other malicious things on this. If you don't trust me you can of course follow the instructions at https://github.com/peterix/dfhack/blob/0.34.11-r2/Compile.rst which will guide you through how to build your own version. Otherwise my file is here for anyone who wants it.

DFHack (All Scripts)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 08:34:02 am by mr_nomad »

MightyDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: February 25, 2013, 10:55:50 am »

Hello guys, I have an issue about dfhack's installation on vista : when I launch the game, dfhack's window doesn't automatically show up. When I try to run it manually, it doesn't work either. SDL.ll was replaced during the process and dfhack.init-example rewritten into dfhack.init. I play with the "accelerated df + modest mod".

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: February 25, 2013, 06:36:43 pm »

That download works fine. Though, while I expected it to be larger, I didn't expect it to be quite this large.

I noticed several files and folders that did not exist in the old version. Some are obvious. But the one that really has me scratching my head is "binpatch.exe". It's not large, but... isn't that a Windows\system32 file? What does DFHack need that for?

I also noticed that DFusion is completely absent. Was that an oversight? Or was it merged into the "hack" folder?

Speaking of, the "hack" folder ballooned from 5.28 MB in r2 to 12.92 MB! :o The main reason is SDL.lib, which is 4.95 MB. That file was not in the old version. And the "include" (1.47 MB), "patches" (28 KB), and "images" (0.12 MB) folders are new, as well.

The "images" folder contains .png screenshots of some new scripts/tools and they are appreciated and very compact - less than 8 KB each. (Nicely done!  :D) The "include" is obvious .h code and "patches" has .dif files for some of the scripts.

I guess my question is: Couldn't I just delete "include", "patches", "SDL.lib", and "binpatch.exe" and it would still work as intended? Also, what about DFusion? Could I just migrate the "dfusion" folder from the official r2 release?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 06:41:14 pm by Thundercraft »

mr_nomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: February 25, 2013, 07:17:21 pm »

That download works fine. Though, while I expected it to be larger, I didn't expect it to be quite this large.

I noticed several files and folders that did not exist in the old version. Some are obvious. But the one that really has me scratching my head is "binpatch.exe". It's not large, but... isn't that a Windows\system32 file? What does DFHack need that for?

I also noticed that DFusion is completely absent. Was that an oversight? Or was it merged into the "hack" folder?

Speaking of, the "hack" folder ballooned from 5.28 MB in r2 to 12.92 MB! :o The main reason is SDL.lib, which is 4.95 MB. That file was not in the old version. And the "include" (1.47 MB), "patches" (28 KB), and "images" (0.12 MB) folders are new, as well.

The "images" folder contains .png screenshots of some new scripts/tools and they are appreciated and very compact - less than 8 KB each. (Nicely done!  :D) The "include" is obvious .h code and "patches" has .dif files for some of the scripts.

I guess my question is: Couldn't I just delete "include", "patches", "SDL.lib", and "binpatch.exe" and it would still work as intended? Also, what about DFusion? Could I just migrate the "dfusion" folder from the official r2 release?

Looking it up apparently binpatch is for automated patching of binary files. I assume it has to do with the process of compiling the source into the finalized DFHack build though you'd probably have to ask someone more familiar with DFHack than me (this is only like my second day of using it haha). Looking it up it seems to be a legit program but beyond that I can't say fully what it's doing in DFHack.

And yes, DFusion is now in the hack folder as a lua script (if you use 'ls' inside DFHack you should see it listed in there still). As to SDL.lib it's just a library that gives access to input and graphics options and is likely there for use by some of the additional scripts that the "all" version includes. I believe that's likewise true for the include, patches, and images folders which probably contain the resources for the additional scripts. I suppose you could try to remove them but I imagine most if not all of these files are used by all the extended DFHack scripts so it may stop running properly.

zlurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: February 25, 2013, 07:19:43 pm »

If you use the the feature show on an adamantine deposit will the monarch show up? I remember that being a pretty infallible trigger or so it seemed and was curious.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: February 25, 2013, 07:23:21 pm »

If you use the the feature show on an adamantine deposit will the monarch show up? I remember that being a pretty infallible trigger or so it seemed and was curious.

I don't think that works anymore since .31.x?  Doesn't the monarch depend on the complex architecture and population requirements now instead of the discovery of adamantine?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: February 25, 2013, 07:24:46 pm »

I don't think that works anymore since .31.x?  Doesn't the monarch depend on the complex architecture and population requirements now instead of the discovery of adamantine?

I've had the monarch show up when I gave Adamantine [SEDIMENTARY] etc. and just mined a lot of it.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3070 on: February 25, 2013, 07:41:28 pm »

Looking it up apparently binpatch is for automated patching of binary files. I assume it has to do with the process of compiling the source into the finalized DFHack build though you'd probably have to ask someone more familiar with DFHack than me (this is only like my second day of using it haha). Looking it up it seems to be a legit program but beyond that I can't say fully what it's doing in DFHack.
Actually, the "binpatch.exe" that comes with DFHack has nothing to do with that SourceForge project - it's actually part of DFHack and it's used to [un]apply binary patches to the Dwarf Fortress executable to fix bugs Toady hasn't gotten around to fixing yet.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

mr_nomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: February 25, 2013, 08:16:57 pm »

Actually, the "binpatch.exe" that comes with DFHack has nothing to do with that SourceForge project - it's actually part of DFHack and it's used to [un]apply binary patches to the Dwarf Fortress executable to fix bugs Toady hasn't gotten around to fixing yet.

Ah ok, good to know.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: February 25, 2013, 08:45:45 pm »

I was going to say. Reading the News for DFHack:
Spoiler: "binpatch in 'News'" (click to show/hide)

And it seems GitHub has three different versions of binpatch:

But, I'm still curious to know how "SDL.lib" is used.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3073 on: February 25, 2013, 10:10:42 pm »

And it seems GitHub has three different versions of binpatch:
They're not different versions, but different parts of it - the first one is a standalone program for permanently applying patches to DF (while it's not running), the second one is a Lua script for temporarily applying patches to DF while it's running, and the 3rd one is a library used by the 2nd one (which can potentially also be used by other Lua scripts).

But, I'm still curious to know how "SDL.lib" is used.
That's only needed if you want to compile new plugins without having to compile DFHack itself - if all you're going to do is distribute the binaries, that file is completely unneeded, as are the headers in the "include" directory.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

sideflare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: February 26, 2013, 07:03:44 pm »

Technical problem here  :-[. I can't get the "search" plugin of DFHack to work (the one that lets you search the Stocks list). I am running the latest version of Lazy Newb Pack.

The DFHack readme implies that "search" is built into DFHack as-is, but it doesn't work and when I go to \hack\plugins, it's .dll was missing. So I downloaded search.plug.dll, but wasn't sure how to install it. I simply pasted it into my \hack\plugins directory. But now when I start the game, Windows 7 gives me the error: "Dwarf Fortress.exe - Entry Point Not Found" and DFHack gives the the error: "Can't load plugin ...\hack\plugins\search.plug.dll"

Clearly I don't know how to install plugins into DFHack. I searched the readme / install instructions, but what am I missing!!! Thank you <3
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 373