Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 794 795 [796] 797 798 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964745 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #11925 on: February 02, 2021, 09:54:43 pm »

Makes sense.

I thought Forge World was GW's resin division.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K general discussion thread: full_output_name.replace("waaagh","WAAAGH")
« Reply #11926 on: February 03, 2021, 12:02:51 pm »

Makes sense.

I thought Forge World was GW's resin division.

GW made a fortunately brief foray into replacing all their metal models and making new characters, like Throgg or the Dark Apostle, out of resin which they branded as finecast. The early results were bad*, but got better as time went on. Regardless they decided to stop making new models in finecast and instead have stuck with an all plastic policy for new Warhammer models, though Hobbit stuff is usually still resin because they don't consider it worth the money to make them in plastic.

Armies with really old sculpts like the Eldar are still using their finecast resin models, and were previously using the same models cast in pewter. Striking Scorpions and Fire Dragons for example.

*I'm not a fan of most resin anyway, but something to do with the method of making the models that gw chose made their resin minis really flimsy and prone to errors like bubbling or being too thin. After something like a year and a half or so they got the kinks mostly worked out, but by then the damage was done and they've largely stopped using resin.

FW works only in resin, something to do with the size of their models and them having lower sales, so they don't want to spend the money on getting the plastic infrastructure set up. In days long past resin was better for what they did, but plastic tech has since caught up in terms of quality so these days the choice of resin is mostly one based on production cost. From personal experience FW models are generally worse than GW ones while weighing substantially more because they're usually solid resin rather than partly hollow even when you get to huge things like knights and titans.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So a new development for Age of Sigmar is the release of the new generation of Stormcast and a new race, more or less, of Greenskins as part of a new boxset.

The new Stormcast are basically more slim and sensible scaled, arms and legs are less chunky. Conceptually supposed to be the vanguard of a new force to capture land across the realms that has been rejuvenated by life magic released as part of Nagash's recent defeat as an attempt to recover land from Death, Destruction and Chaos.

The new Greenskins, the Kruleboyz, are basically 'what if orcs were less goofily proportioned and more nasty?' in model form. Proportioned more like Uruk Hai from LotR than traditional warhammer orcs, tall and lanky but still muscley rather than bow legged and stocky, flat noses but a narrower less exaggerated jaw. Also coming with these guys are the new incarnation of hobgoblins, previously a concept relegated to Forge World in the Old World. Kruleboyz use poisoned weapons and are even more sadistic and cruel than normal orcs and goblins.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile

I know little about age of Sigmar lore, and just keep finding myself rather too uninterested to learn more. How’s the general state of that lore actually, does it measure up to classic fantasy warhamster by now?

Also, happen to have painted anything recently?  :D

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

Only half the gork and or Mork is represented here.  Where's the kunningboyz?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile

I know little about age of Sigmar lore, and just keep finding myself rather too uninterested to learn more.
You are a good man.

How’s the general state of that lore actually
As crappy as ever. Now some people will try to tell you it has become better in one or other way. Don't listen to their tzeentch filled lies.

does it measure up to classic fantasy warhamster by now?
No, and it never will.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know little about age of Sigmar lore, and just keep finding myself rather too uninterested to learn more. How’s the general state of that lore actually, does it measure up to classic fantasy warhamster by now?

I'm not super up to date on the lore tbh, I've heard good things about some of the novels, Nagash is still kind of a chump. An awesome chump, but still a chump. The undead are all pretty cool, dwarves are a mixed bag, Cities of Sigmar, which is basically the legacy army faction has decent fluff as essentially being the normal humans/dwarves/elves just trying to survive in a world gone mad, the elves are mostly pretty neat but I like the idea of the Idoneth. Chaos is much bigger as a faction lorewise, more cultures and philosophies falling under it's banner which is always interesting. Stormcast exist, and other than being basically grimdark einherjar there's not much to say about them.

I think the only race that's still meant to be really left out in the lore is the ogres, not much has been done with them as far as I know.

I do really like the lore for the Flesheater Courts, formerly the ghouls in the Old World. Insane vampires and cannibals are always fun and the new take has more freedom in the concept than the Strigoi did. They're both more fun and more grim than their old counterpart in my opinion.

AoS still has really strong 80s vibes, like a grimdark version of He-Man with less homoerotic designs, and it's definitely less grounded than WHF was. It's like a power metal album cover but as a setting.

I do have a few Black Templars I've painted, but it's late here atm, so I'll see about posting them tomorrow.

They have poisoned weapons and hobgoblins, they are about as kunnin as greenskins get.

Also I think their main god at this time might be Kragnos, a centauroid god native to the realms. With him being added to the pantheon there's three destruction gods I'm aware of. Behemat (deceased) the progenitor of giants, Gorkamorka the twin headed god of the greenskins, and Kragnos the End of Empires.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I mean, I'm no fan of AoS and will never be. But I think it's a wee bit unfair to AoS to expect it to compete with the total combined history of Warhammer Fantasy. There's an unbroken continuum of content for Fantasy going back 35? years now. AoS is only a few years old and specifically does not get to inherit all that came before it.

I'm not saying I think AoS will get better over time. But imagine being 10 to 13 right now, being in to hobby games and stuff and seeing that. And that being your entry point into Warhammer Fantasy, and everything that came before it being in the mysterious unknowable past....at least in the mind of a kid. They might try to read through older Warhammer Fantasy and be like meeeehhhhhhh deez are grandpas games. OTOH, I looked back on older Fantasy and 40k stuff with awe and interest. But that was, you know....before the internet pretty much. I guess my point is, everything is in its place in time. AoS may suck to us but there's a chance it's becoming the foundation of what someone thinks WHF is.

Overall, it sounds like the same thing that happened to 40k is slowly happening to fantasy. The fun, goofy, more light-hearted elements are being stripped out bit by bit, until everyone is equally edgy and grim. Although I think someone did mention something about squats maybe coming back to 40k. I remember, when I was a kid, it being the Ork and Gobbo Fantasy armies in the early 90s, and how wacky and chaotic they are that really added spice to the whole WHF world. And similarly with 40k. But over the years they got less fun, and more "mean" and "spiky." I guess that works if you just need villains to prop up and knock down, rather than a race with variation and culture of some kind. I wonder if in another 20 years someone will look at current Orks and just be baffled by the vestigial remains of their comical accents.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 06:55:19 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

10 to 13 year olds can't afford Games Workshop tho
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Sick but accurate burn.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile

Also, any positive light to AoS is heresy. Expect the witch hunters at any time now.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile

I mean, I'm no fan of AoS and will never be. But I think it's a wee bit unfair to AoS to expect it to compete with the total combined history of Warhammer Fantasy. There's an unbroken continuum of content for Fantasy going back 35? years now. AoS is only a few years old and specifically does not get to inherit all that came before it.

I'm not saying I think AoS will get better over time. But imagine being 10 to 13 right now, being in to hobby games and stuff and seeing that. And that being your entry point into Warhammer Fantasy, and everything that came before it being in the mysterious unknowable past....at least in the mind of a kid. They might try to read through older Warhammer Fantasy and be like meeeehhhhhhh deez are grandpas games. OTOH, I looked back on older Fantasy and 40k stuff with awe and interest. But that was, you know....before the internet pretty much. I guess my point is, everything is in its place in time. AoS may suck to us but there's a chance it's becoming the foundation of what someone thinks WHF is.

Overall, it sounds like the same thing that happened to 40k is slowly happening to fantasy. The fun, goofy, more light-hearted elements are being stripped out bit by bit, until everyone is equally edgy and grim. Although I think someone did mention something about squats maybe coming back to 40k. I remember, when I was a kid, it being the Ork and Gobbo Fantasy armies in the early 90s, and how wacky and chaotic they are that really added spice to the whole WHF world. And similarly with 40k. But over the years they got less fun, and more "mean" and "spiky." I guess that works if you just need villains to prop up and knock down, rather than a race with variation and culture of some kind. I wonder if in another 20 years someone will look at current Orks and just be baffled by the vestigial remains of their comical accents.

Myeah, I dunno. I see what you mean, but I meant more the overall/average level of quality? Just because there is less of it doesn't have to mean it is less good on average, though I suppose for Oldhammer the diamonds have had time to rise to the top and be remembered while the crap has sunk away into obscurity (or infamy if bad enough :p ).

I'm not super up to date on the lore tbh, I've heard good things about some of the novels, Nagash is still kind of a chump. An awesome chump, but still a chump. The undead are all pretty cool, dwarves are a mixed bag, Cities of Sigmar, which is basically the legacy army faction has decent fluff as essentially being the normal humans/dwarves/elves just trying to survive in a world gone mad, the elves are mostly pretty neat but I like the idea of the Idoneth. Chaos is much bigger as a faction lorewise, more cultures and philosophies falling under it's banner which is always interesting. Stormcast exist, and other than being basically grimdark einherjar there's not much to say about them.

I think the only race that's still meant to be really left out in the lore is the ogres, not much has been done with them as far as I know.

I do really like the lore for the Flesheater Courts, formerly the ghouls in the Old World. Insane vampires and cannibals are always fun and the new take has more freedom in the concept than the Strigoi did. They're both more fun and more grim than their old counterpart in my opinion.

AoS still has really strong 80s vibes, like a grimdark version of He-Man with less homoerotic designs, and it's definitely less grounded than WHF was. It's like a power metal album cover but as a setting.

I do have a few Black Templars I've painted, but it's late here atm, so I'll see about posting them tomorrow.

They have poisoned weapons and hobgoblins, they are about as kunnin as greenskins get.

Also I think their main god at this time might be Kragnos, a centauroid god native to the realms. With him being added to the pantheon there's three destruction gods I'm aware of. Behemat (deceased) the progenitor of giants, Gorkamorka the twin headed god of the greenskins, and Kragnos the End of Empires.

Nice overview! Grimdark He-Man sounds like it could be fun, but without the homoeroticism, can it truly be like He-Man?

(spoiler alert: nah)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 02:43:17 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Mfw Chainswords are canon in WH fantasy

So they have the Old Ones, chaos in common, and there's the reference to Skaven finding a vox-caster and a chaos champion finding a chainsword. I like all these little easter eggs

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It would be more accurate to say they were canon, and then they weren't canon, then they were (probably) canon again.

When 40k was young Fantasy had a few elements that referenced it, and 40k likewise had elements that referenced Fantasy, such as a group of chaos warriors popping out of a warp storm and fighting space marines and being evenly matched. I think the elves used to have access to a power fist as well.

After a little while, and I mean little when I say that, these references got dropped from basically all the materials that were published going forward because GW wanted both settings to stand on their own. I think the leading theory is they didn't want 40k to just be 'WHF but in spaaaaaace,' and they didn't want the Old World to be just another planet among millions in 40k.

They did drop a 40k reference into the End Times, with what was probably Kaldor Draigo being met by some heroes while in the Realm of Chaos. So with the Realm of Chaos once again being confirmed to connect the two settings all those other references are implicitly canon again. Which would fit the End Times as a lot of really old WHF stuff that had been abandoned for years was brought back into the events of the setting before it blew up.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Oh yeah there was that Kaldor Draigo bit. Also the Sigmarines running around in 40k; also there's a bit in some short story where they go on about rumours of worlds consumed by living rats which I assume is another excuse to have skaven in space. Also lmao I almost forgot but the starcraft 2 planets are also in the northeastern corner of the galaxy on some 40k maps, but I wonder if they've removed them to not infringe on IP
Pages: 1 ... 794 795 [796] 797 798 ... 824