Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 737 738 [739] 740 741 ... 879

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title  (Read 1561790 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: 10101 bits and counting
« Reply #11071 on: August 06, 2020, 04:50:30 pm »

I like his Sims stuff the most
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11073 on: August 07, 2020, 09:00:00 pm »

An Overly Complicated Math Problem

Here's a good one for you:

there are trains 100 miles apart on the same set of tracks, the trains head towards each other at 50 miles per hour.

Now, there's a fly sitting on one of the trains. As soon as the trains depart, the fly flies to the other train at 100 miles per hour. Each time the fly gets to one of the trains, it turns around and flies back to the other train, going back and forth at the same speed. Eventually, the two trains meet in the middle (so the fly flies a little shorter distance each time it turns around, since the trains are getting closer together). How far in total did the fly travel? Can you work it out?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 09:02:08 pm by Reelya »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11074 on: August 07, 2020, 09:03:46 pm »

An Overly Complicated Math Problem

Here's a good one for you:

there are trains 100 miles apart on the same set of tracks, the trains head towards each other at 50 miles per hour.

Now, there's a fly sitting on one of the trains. As soon as the trains depart, the fly flies to the other train at 100 miles per hour. Each time the fly gets to one of the trains, it turns around and flies back to the other train, going back and forth at the same speed. Eventually, the two trains meet in the middle (so the fly flies a little shorter distance each time it turns around). How far in total did the fly travel? Can you work it out?

What kind of fly flies at 100mph?

Does it fly straight between the trains or does it do that meandering thing that flies do?

What is its motivation for this bizarre bleep test?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11075 on: August 07, 2020, 09:21:05 pm »

It flies straight back and forth between the trains. But that's not actually the important part.

It's a fast fly because for it to fly between the trains, it needs to be faster than the trains. You should be able to work it out. hint hint.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 09:22:50 pm by Reelya »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11076 on: August 07, 2020, 09:25:06 pm »

Oh.

Very good.

For some reason I was wanting to calculate how many times it landed on a train, which is silly.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11077 on: August 07, 2020, 09:25:46 pm »

It flies at a constant speed and it's easy to find out how much time until the trains meet. Multiply them and you get the distance. Classic problem. I've heard it as two bikes and a bee flying between them.

EDIT: Ninja'd.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11078 on: August 07, 2020, 09:27:17 pm »

Oh.

Very good.

For some reason I was wanting to calculate how many times it landed on a train, which is silly.

Technically, because it's a limit, it lands infinity times on each train by the time they meet.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 09:31:52 pm by Reelya »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11079 on: August 07, 2020, 09:29:49 pm »

Why was maths the class they taught logic in?

Like, if you give me a set of numbers and tell me what to do with them, it’s all cool.

If you give me a fucking word problem that I need to read very bloody carefully to figure out that’ll give me the set of numbers I need and what I need to do with them, that’s a different kettle of fish.

Oh.

Very good.

Technically, because it's a limit, it lands infinity times on each train by the time they meet.

Once the trains meet it doesn’t even have to fly between them anymore!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11080 on: August 07, 2020, 09:34:04 pm »

Then we can make it an even more annoying problem by asking which train the fly is on at the end, which is another well known thought experiment:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomson%27s_lamp

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11081 on: August 10, 2020, 09:48:01 am »

GrayStillPlays' Air Marty series. Good grief.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11082 on: August 10, 2020, 10:39:54 am »

Then we can make it an even more annoying problem by asking which train the fly is on at the end, which is another well known thought experiment:

Thankfully resolved by the quantized nature of time itself. The planck second. Assuming that one could perform the task in so short a time interval, it is possible to conclude which state the lamp is in after the 2 minutes time has elapsed.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 10:41:32 am by wierd »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11083 on: August 10, 2020, 10:51:47 am »

Thankfully resolved by the quantized nature of time itself. The planck second. Assuming that one could perform the task in so short a time interval, it is possible to conclude which state the lamp is in after the 2 minutes time has elapsed.

As per yer link:

While there is currently no known way to measure time intervals on the scale of the Planck time

Equally so, as per the article, a Planck second is the time it takes light to travel a Planck length, so there are time intervals even shorter than that.

Which is why it remains a thought experiment :p

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11084 on: August 10, 2020, 10:53:34 am »

Or we can take a step back from the theoretical and note that this supernatural, possibly angelic fly will be very briefly in contact with both trains at once; just before the trains lose contact with their own constituent parts.  Based on where the goo lands, we could switch this to a Ship of Theseus question about which hunks of scrap still count as train A or B.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 737 738 [739] 740 741 ... 879