Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: World of Avatars(OOC)  (Read 8000 times)

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
  • A sarcastic, weird nerd of many things. That's me.
    • View Profile
Re: World of Avatars(OOC)
« Reply #105 on: February 28, 2017, 10:51:11 pm »

SO...

THAT COULD LOOK LIKE

BANISH: If you die you must win 3 fights(doesn't need to be in a row) to come back. The in-story thing is that right before you would die, you get teliported out to fight for Death.

DEBT:

HARDCORE
If you choose one of these options You get a bonus LP for completing a chapter.

MAIMED: You will be mauled or damaged in some way, but you'll be alive.

FINAL: You must change your avatar to continue playing. Your character will be atomized/crushed/liquified ect. upon death.

So superfitial damage sure, but actual anatomy altering wounds should only happen if they choose MAIMED death type penalty.

Yes! That not only sounds cool, but that's what I thought hard mode was going to be. One problem: Why are the bodies atomized/crushed/etc.? Is it some cosmic force, or what?
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.
I desire, for whatever reason, to create Space Louisiana.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #106 on: February 28, 2017, 11:38:38 pm »

The implication is that anytime a dangerous one is rolled it should be a situation where something pretty "final" is implied to happen if they messed up again.
Awesome With Autism

“The art of life is to live in the present moment.”
— Emmet Fox

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2017, 01:58:46 am »

Alright, I also think I have a format on how to do this, that BEST values these pillars

Ease-of-use: easy for the players, hardly noticible
Writing/DMing fodder: DM knows what to expect

...and of course allowing players to choose their "intensity"...

THE FIRST TIME YOU DIE: THE DEAL
Death informs you that he's willing to let you live(I have a story idea for this if a DM wants to PM me), but you have to make a deal(meanwhile their body is completely unharmed, but unconscious until they choose one of the following:

Agree next time they die they:

Fight in Valhalla for a bit (body teliported away before fatal blow)
Lifeforce(LP) debt (evade fatal blow)
Risk everything! In exchange for lifeforce enhancement. Choosing this option means if you change character LP resets to 1, rather than carrying over, normally. If they get a 1LP they are unrecoverably killed by the bad situation... they can prevent this by spending 1LP, if they get a 2, they are maimed in some way(roll again to see how bad ex
1: lost limb
2: lost digit, ear, ect.
3: badly, but recoverably wounded(can't use LP until better, same for previous)
4: moderate wound
5: just pain
6: DM can figure this one out

I meant for this to be a bit more tidy and less rambling but... well it's all here. What do you think?
Awesome With Autism

— Emmet Fox

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 01, 2017, 07:31:25 am »

So not literally atomized, but more like there's not enough around?

Also, to go to Valhalla, an afterlife, they have to die first. Teleporting before a fatal blow sounds...not Valhalla enough. The rest is solid, though.
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2017, 10:15:12 am »

Interestingly enough I was just reading about the valkyrie legend, and that's exactly what they do is they find the heroes that have died and then bring them to Valhalla. So that would agree with you.

But it kind of rubs me the wrong way. It's going to create those ”I saw you die" situations. Or I buried your body, spread your ashes, ect lol.

Where the teleporting away kinda makes sense. And in the valkyrie legend it was pretty one way...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 10:16:56 am by roseheart »
Awesome With Autism

— Emmet Fox

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2017, 05:03:59 pm »

Been really thinking about this. Seems like you would want it the way I presented WITH teliport. The point of hardcore is that it makes death matter, would it be odd if a blast kills two guys but one is revived? I really think we should stick with the teleporting away.... If that deal is made with the devil Death.

We CAN do it without but that's going to make the characters think a person likely may be revived and when they died won't be as big of a deal...

Edit: no I think I change my mind and I think I agree with you.

I mean where they're going they're going to be dying left and right anyway...

This way the in-characters won't really know if a person is going to come back or not was so there is kind of significance to every death...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 05:07:51 pm by roseheart »
Awesome With Autism

— Emmet Fox

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2017, 05:13:55 pm »

Oh, okay. I saw your reply earlier, and was about to say something about how there are series with deaths that mean something, despite coming back. Dragon Ball and comics from Marvel and DC spring to mind. But I guess I won't have to.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2017, 05:18:52 pm »

Yeah I am glad we agree.

(but those are litteral examples on the Death is Meaningless trope page!)
Awesome With Autism

— Emmet Fox

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #113 on: March 05, 2017, 04:43:49 pm »

To make Realism work so as not to be too destructive, we could also switch to the much fairer (and bigger) d10. Roseheart brushed that aside because I don't know, but I think having a bigger margin would make Realism more fun.))

[8 (Yeah, I'm doing the d10s.)] Spyro is pushed out of the gate, though Nightmare isn't fast enough to escape.

((while I think it's totally ridiculous you think you're going to somehow impose people to play mutilated versions of their characters no they're just going to ignore it, like when puppy guard mutilated Lun.

Your fascination with thinking I have a certain way I'm telling you to do things is totally a fantasy. D10 is fine, to quote myself.))

Here is a widely adopted system but DMs can run a chapter how they like:

((As for changing how the Valhalla thing works to make it so you must win three battles in a row. I'm not even the first person to say that would not be really possible for a lot of characters.))

^ω^ I just thot of a revivalll option: you have to win 3 fights in the avatar fight thread first!

Technically, it goes like you win, other guy wins, then another guy wins, I'd be kind of impossible...

((So really it's a cheap way of just making that not an option. Which is stupid.))
Awesome With Autism

— Emmet Fox

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 05, 2017, 05:00:16 pm »

((...Well, obviously they're going to ignore it, then! It's already happened before! As for the d10...yeah, my bad. I didn't read that bit. And for the Valhalla...again good point. Impose? Impose what? If they have a problem with it, I can change it. Because I'm not a killer DM. I am a fair one. Yet, all we got was a "Sounds Good"...so, are you the only person who objects to this, or what?

So, let me edit this because you got me angry: You are trying to negotiate something that is the norm on many of the forum games I run, play, and know exist, and has a precedent in this very game, because "It's a bid between Fun and Realism!"

One of Bay12's most popular games, Dwarf Fortress, has brutal realism. And it's fun. Crisis Response, an online game, has realism in the form of characters having blood and oxygen. And it's fun. In forum games, we have my games, all of which are said to be fun despite being realistic in terms of damage (let me remind you, you're in one), plus TCM's RTD Princess Celestia and Wikipedia Wars, the former of which is d6 and yet has realistic damage and was fun.

EDIT2: I'm sorry I'm so irritable. I'm so sorry. I just...I want to...I don't know. I don't want you to hate me, I just have an opinion that I feel like addressing.))
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 05:18:25 pm by Greatness942 »

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #115 on: March 05, 2017, 05:19:57 pm »

If we don't make agreements, then each next DM may undo what the previous set up.

Also, take some responsibility greatness nobody makes you angry that is your own choice.
Awesome With Autism

— Emmet Fox

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 05, 2017, 05:27:10 pm »

...Nobody makes me angry? What?

But you're right, I should calm down...and realize that you didn't actually respond to my arguments, only making a generic response about agreements. So, with what I said in my last post, what do you think we should do?

Let me put it this way: What are we trying to agree on, then?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 06:55:54 pm by Greatness942 »

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 05, 2017, 07:14:16 pm »

*bump*

Look, I can see that we both need to figure this out. Me putting one method in and you putting in another won't solve anything. How's about a poll? That way, we can see from the players' points of view what side is better for this type of game: realism on account of characters like Fbzib, Roy Mustang, and Merseth, or less gory fights akin to Spyro, Papyrus, and...um...some other third character.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 06, 2017, 01:20:51 pm »

*bump because Roseheart's on, and I really want to figure this out.*

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #119 on: March 06, 2017, 04:36:42 pm »

I think I'm overthinking it. Just do what you feel is right.
Awesome With Autism

— Emmet Fox
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10