Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1846653 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #450 on: September 12, 2014, 06:21:56 pm »

Yeah, you can still set GRAZER, but there's a STANDARD_GRAZER now that doesn't have an argument, and I've replaced all of my own GRAZERs with it (so giant creatures work).  It sets GRAZER to 20000*G*(max size)^(-3/4), where G defaults to 100 but can be set in d_init, and the whole thing is trapped between 150 and 3 million, I think, so grazers larger than rhinos/elephants end up needing the same amount of grass, for now anyway, and they should survive.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: September 13, 2014, 12:33:49 am »

• Stopped fort dwarves from throwing their clothes off into a pile during unretire after being visited by adventurer
  • Stopped fort animals from getting clothing during unretire after being visited by adventurer

Is a visit from an adventurer so disruptive that it makes people strip off their clothes and throw them at animals?

What are you people doing in these forts?  ???
"Take everything you want, just don't kill us!"
It's the living world; rumors of your randomly murderous ways can spread now.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 13, 2014, 10:02:10 am »

Yeah, you can still set GRAZER, but there's a STANDARD_GRAZER now that doesn't have an argument, and I've replaced all of my own GRAZERs with it (so giant creatures work).  It sets GRAZER to 20000*G*(max size)^(-3/4), where G defaults to 100 but can be set in d_init, and the whole thing is trapped between 150 and 3 million, I think, so grazers larger than rhinos/elephants end up needing the same amount of grass, for now anyway, and they should survive.
Thanks! I'll have a look how this measures up with my mods' formula.

So... the new formula reaches its floor of 150 at about 300,000, it seems? That's rather early. A G of 500 moves the floor us to a body size of around 2,700,000, which is nearly rhino-size, and that G gives horses a grazer value of 532 (Vanilla 120, me 280, new at G100 150 (106 without the floor)). Have I missed something here?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 10:45:15 am by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: September 13, 2014, 10:35:40 am »

that means that Elephants and other large sized beast like it are actually viable (?)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: September 13, 2014, 10:48:30 am »

that means that Elephants and other large sized beast like it are actually viable (?)
That's the idea, yes. As a matter of fact, if my above calculations are correct, every grazer that's a little larger than a donkey will eat the same amount of grass.

Edit - I think I caught my error. I remember reading that internally, body sizes are divided by 10. If Toady's formula is directly from the code, then it uses the adjusted body size. That means the formula does reach the 150 floor at about rhino-size, horses get a grazer value of 598, and if it weren't capped, elephants would still get a grazer value of 106 to my 72. It's pretty generous.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 11:42:31 am by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #455 on: September 13, 2014, 12:13:48 pm »

Ah, yeah, I forgot to mention -- it is the adjusted body size.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: September 13, 2014, 03:03:29 pm »

Thanks for confirming. :)
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Urist_McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: September 14, 2014, 06:44:03 pm »

Will (Decorate item with X) and (Stud item with X) have any effect on the item apart from increasing it's value? I think studding a shield with steel spikes ought to improve shield bash and giving an iron hammer platinum studs should increase it's force on impact.

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: Lemunde
There's been some discussion about studded weapons since the big update earlier this year. Specifically I'm wondering if, for example, a silver mace studded with lead would do more damage than a normal silver mace due to the added weight?

Improvements to items don't do anything weight/damage-wise yet, but we'd hope to have it matter at some point.

Oh, great. Didn't realise it had already been answered. Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 09:06:31 pm by Urist_McDagger »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: September 14, 2014, 08:13:21 pm »

Will (Decorate item with X) and (Stud item with X) have any effect on the item apart from increasing it's value? I think studding a shield with steel spikes ought to improve shield bash and giving an iron hammer platinum studs should increase it's force on impact.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=60554.msg1719248#msg1719248
Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: Lemunde
There's been some discussion about studded weapons since the big update earlier this year. Specifically I'm wondering if, for example, a silver mace studded with lead would do more damage than a normal silver mace due to the added weight?

Improvements to items don't do anything weight/damage-wise yet, but we'd hope to have it matter at some point.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: September 15, 2014, 06:06:22 pm »

Today’s devlog:

Messed around with some of the lag culprits: stale activities, enemy detection, over-active food consumption logging, and so on. Doubled the speed of the test save, but it's hard to say how it'll transfer in general, though the fixed trouble spots would come up in every fort with lots of dwarves.

Alright, so FPS doubled on the broken save? Will any of the changes make an improvement on large map sizes, or is it just high-population forts for now?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: September 15, 2014, 10:17:18 pm »

Today’s devlog:

Messed around with some of the lag culprits: stale activities, enemy detection, over-active food consumption logging, and so on. Doubled the speed of the test save, but it's hard to say how it'll transfer in general, though the fixed trouble spots would come up in every fort with lots of dwarves.

Alright, so FPS doubled on the broken save? Will any of the changes make an improvement on large map sizes, or is it just high-population forts for now?
For now? high population forts are the bigger bug; they make old forts die fps death instead of a constant factor that can be mitigated by playing a smaller map.

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: September 15, 2014, 10:27:06 pm »

How high is high? 100? 50? 20?
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: September 16, 2014, 08:20:15 am »

Depends on your computer. On my machine, a mid-range Windows laptop, FPS generally starts dipping below 100 somewhere between 30 and 40 dwarves, and becomes really noticeable soon thereafter. Of course, it's been a while since I've played a really stable version- earlier versions of 0.40, a couple months ago, were really, really bad on FPS no matter what you did, and I haven't downloaded a new version since. I think it's improved, though.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Aquathug

• Bay Watcher
  • This text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: September 18, 2014, 11:10:56 am »

Out of curiosity, what language is DF written in?

BenLubar

• Bay Watcher
  • [BODY:HUMANOID_LEGLESS_6ARMS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: September 18, 2014, 12:43:10 pm »

Out of curiosity, what language is DF written in?

It's C++.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 306