Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 113

Author Topic: What's happening in your Fort.  (Read 186347 times)

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's happening in your Fort.
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2013, 10:49:08 am »

My fort is experiencing some mild fun at the moment... I left on the secret fun on by accident so I have
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and a Kobold thief got a lucky shot on my militia commander before he was beaten to death by my 6 military people. The Kobold managed to slice his shin open and opened an artery and he was laying there for quite a while before I realized I had to designate him as in a hospital before they would go outside to bring him into the actual hospital.. Which was set up in about 15 seconds when I realized he was injured.

And a Pekyt makes a fantastic war animal for beginners. An immigrant brought one, and I immediately put said immigrant in the military the moment I realized he had decent skills, and so far the Pekyt has latched on to two different Kobolds' heads and has shaken them, severing the head... So really my military people just keep the Kobolds from running while the Pekyt gets there and rips their head off... The time before the most recent one my military commander (the one that got stabbed) grabbed the Kobold by the leg and snapped the joint... (i'm pretty sure it was the leg anyway) and the Pekyt just comes along and rips his head off.... So far that Pekyt has killed more than my military... Of course, there's only been three Kobolds.. :P

The most recent time a Kobold "Runs through the marksdwarf in the left hand from behind with the tip of her large silver dagger and the severed part sails off in an arc!" That marksdwarf sadly bled to death almost instantly... Sad day.. He was a decent marksman... But a crappy worker... Uh well, time for a new military man! As is the way of life. :3 I just haven't dug out a crypt for bodies yet.. So I have a
a dead marksdwarf in my stockpiles, which is currently holding EVERYTHING, a pretty good hunter and marksdwarf who happens to be my military commander that now has an opened artery and I have no way of suturing the wound or even cleaning it, and a Pekyt that keeps ripping peoples heads off.... Let's see how much fun my fort can have before everyone dies!
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

crazyjake56

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2013, 01:35:44 pm »

I had been focused on trying to get my guildhall together after having had one of my miners die from blacklung being on. I also wanted to get my well done so that my dwarves wouldn't have to get water from outside. Then the army of undead spellcasters came, and boy did they make a show. There's fire everywhere, my boar breeding's a lost cause, as well as the rest of the fort. So, long story short, undead spellcasters will fuck your shit.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 01:49:33 pm by crazyjake56 »

SabbyKat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2013, 03:18:03 pm »

My fort is experiencing some mild fun at the moment... I left on the secret fun on by accident so I have
and a Kobold thief got a lucky shot on my militia commander before he was beaten to death by my 6 military people. The Kobold managed to slice his shin open and opened an artery and he was laying there for quite a while before I realized I had to designate him as in a hospital before they would go outside to bring him into the actual hospital.. Which was set up in about 15 seconds when I realized he was injured.

And a Pekyt makes a fantastic war animal for beginners. An immigrant brought one, and I immediately put said immigrant in the military the moment I realized he had decent skills, and so far the Pekyt has latched on to two different Kobolds' heads and has shaken them, severing the head... So really my military people just keep the Kobolds from running while the Pekyt gets there and rips their head off... The time before the most recent one my military commander (the one that got stabbed) grabbed the Kobold by the leg and snapped the joint... (i'm pretty sure it was the leg anyway) and the Pekyt just comes along and rips his head off.... So far that Pekyt has killed more than my military... Of course, there's only been three Kobolds.. :P

The most recent time a Kobold "Runs through the marksdwarf in the left hand from behind with the tip of her large silver dagger and the severed part sails off in an arc!" That marksdwarf sadly bled to death almost instantly... Sad day.. He was a decent marksman... But a crappy worker... Uh well, time for a new military man! As is the way of life. :3 I just haven't dug out a crypt for bodies yet.. So I have a
a dead marksdwarf in my stockpiles, which is currently holding EVERYTHING, a pretty good hunter and marksdwarf who happens to be my military commander that now has an opened artery and I have no way of suturing the wound or even cleaning it, and a Pekyt that keeps ripping peoples heads off.... Let's see how much fun my fort can have before everyone dies!

Buwahahaha. I'm not the only one with a rambo pekyt, huh? I had one go on a rampage the other day, killing around 12 stranglers who were fleeing from a siege, tearing them limb from limb, and all I could do was stare at the combat logs blank eyed, before bursting out laughing for a good five minutes. Just imagine this cute, little sheep tearing peoples hands, arms, legs, and heads off...

I had a 'psychotic horse' the other day as well, on that topic. Just one of the horses you get on embark, a thief appeared beside him. Instead of running, he 'became enraged!' and stomped the thief to death. horses are flagged to 'flee' from hostility, not... murder things. he then prompty ran off, and killed a good dozen harpies, and various animals around the map all bloody and torn up, he then single-handedly took down a beak wolf siege stomping in a good 5-6 of their heads before they ran, and then calmly came back to the fort happy as could be... needless to say, I steelcladded him and have given him his own stable full of horse-women and hay for his brave, heroic act of carnage. ;)

At current in my fort, I'm having the FUN! of a new born baby, drawing a pentragram out of blood with no way to quaratine the little bugger, and the dwarf traders JUST left - so ordering a ward isn't possible, nor do i have any sprites/changelings to get him fixed... so I may have a crazy blood demon baby rampaging in my fort soon...

Edit: And he grew into a kid after I finally managed to trap his Mother into a cell, only for him to run off leaving her stuck inside. Arghhh!

Edit 2: And he just turned into a 'blood demon child'... right in the dead center of the meeting area. That didn't end well, as mr.Miner was drinking booze there. And he got a tad upset that little bugger interrupt his drink, and promptly cleaved him in the head with his pickaxe - instantly killing him, right from under the jaw up into the brain. I like this dwarf and how he thinks. :)

Edit 3: And now I got a vampire... goodie! Time to begin operation: Fort of Carnage, turning every dwarf into immortal, super-powered killing machines! >=)... once I find who the bugger is...

Crazyjake56,

You should generally disable Warlocks. At current with their stupidly OP 'rot you to death' spell they can cast non-step, from miles away, and while invisible, they are not even 'hard ' -they are just ridiculous and practically impossible to kill with losing 10-30 dwarves (or animals if they can handle them) in the process, even vs just 10 warlocks. >.<

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2013, 04:25:50 am »

*blink*

"The deity Zabna has come!  Held aloft by two expansive skeletal wings, the massive plague wraith towers over thirty feet tall. Under its tattered cloak, a black mass of writhing insects and serpents cling tightly to a nearly fleshless skeleton. Four elongated arms, covered in a tangle of scorpions and spiders, end in wickedly curved talons that twitch in anticipation of its next victim. Practically obscured by the inky shadows cast by its voluminous hood, two flaming emerald eyes partially illuminate its malevolent hook-toothed skull. In one massive hand it hefts a severely curved steel scythe with a twisted ironwood haft."

ok...who invited Death to the fort?

update: well after discovering the deity was friendly (with THAT description I wasn't expecting it to be) I just ignored it.  Fast forward a few seasons and just after the gnome caravan arrived I get a notification of a "vile force of darkness", they're on the surface (pity, I like it when they arrive in the sealed caverns) and I take a look...little robed beings...uh oh...a check of the units screen confirms it; warlocks.  Against all expectations the caravan makes it into the depot without running into them and they seem content to just mill outside the entrance corridor instead of running the trap gauntlet. I'm anticipating having to close the door once the trading is complete to keep the gnomes from running straight into them when suddenly the deity is right in the middle of them.  I'm thinking "uh oh, their spell isn't anything you want to get in range of".  Except the deity is apparently completely immune to all of their spells, he killed half of them and drove the rest off, all without taking any major damage.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 08:37:37 pm by ElenaRoan »
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2013, 10:09:26 pm »

After establishing a prosperous fort within a new embark, a blacksmith had managed to smith one of the best artifacts.

Okay it will become useless in time when the gold crafts start churning out, but the fort gained a legendary weaponsmith.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2013, 10:36:15 pm »

*blink*

"The deity Zabna has come!  Held aloft by two expansive skeletal wings, the massive plague wraith towers over thirty feet tall. Under its tattered cloak, a black mass of writhing insects and serpents cling tightly to a nearly fleshless skeleton. Four elongated arms, covered in a tangle of scorpions and spiders, end in wickedly curved talons that twitch in anticipation of its next victim. Practically obscured by the inky shadows cast by its voluminous hood, two flaming emerald eyes partially illuminate its malevolent hook-toothed skull. In one massive hand it hefts a severely curved steel scythe with a twisted ironwood haft."

ok...who invited Death to the fort?

update: well after discovering the deity was friendly (with THAT description I wasn't expecting it to be) I just ignored it.  Fast forward a few seasons and just after the gnome caravan arrived I get a notification of a "vile force of darkness", they're on the surface (pity, I like it when they arrive in the sealed caverns) and I take a look...little robed beings...uh oh...a check of the units screen confirms it; warlocks.  Against all expectations the caravan makes it into the depot without running into them and they seem content to just mill outside the entrance corridor instead of running the trap gauntlet. I'm anticipating having to close the door once the trading is complete to keep the gnomes from running straight into them when suddenly the deity is right in the middle of them.  I'm thinking "uh oh, their spell isn't anything you want to get in range of".  Except the deity is apparently completely immune to all of their spells, he killed half of them and drove the rest off, all without taking any major damage.

I think you might want to check your dwarves for worshippers of Zabna, you should have a few in your fort. :) Isnt too bad, having your own personal Death, is it? :P
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2013, 10:47:47 pm »

I think you might want to check your dwarves for worshippers of Zabna, you should have a few in your fort. :) Isnt too bad, having your own personal Death, is it? :P

After he handled that warlock force I LIKE him *lol*
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2013, 11:24:31 am »

You're lucky, the only friendly Deity I've seen was a Giant who started ripping all of my buildings down before I reluctantly had my military help him remove his head.

About half of my current forts population has a Titan as their object of worship, so I'm crossing my fingers that he might drop by. Now would be the perfect time too, since one of the Dwarf merchants that just arrive was the leader of a certain special cult, and quickly alerted me to the fact that 4 of my 6 legendary military were his close friends. It was definitely FUN.

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2013, 10:48:37 pm »

next episode in the Zabna saga *chuckle* got another "vile force of darkness" composed of warlocks.  This time they walked into my cage traps and tried to duke it out with my web turrets after retrieving the cages I noticed an elf (unfortunately stricken with melancholy once I got him out) and Zabna stuck in cages, promptly built the cages and levers to let them out so now Zabna is flying around my meeting area apparently quite happy.  I guess he came down to fight with the warlocks and ran into a webbed cage trap (I have to be careful about cleaning up if someone makes it into the corridor, otherwise I have to let dozens of dwarves out of cages.)

silentdeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Mastwork Mod Season 1
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2013, 12:10:35 am »

next episode in the Zabna saga *chuckle* got another "vile force of darkness" composed of warlocks.  This time they walked into my cage traps and tried to duke it out with my web turrets after retrieving the cages I noticed an elf (unfortunately stricken with melancholy once I got him out) and Zabna stuck in cages, promptly built the cages and levers to let them out so now Zabna is flying around my meeting area apparently quite happy.  I guess he came down to fight with the warlocks and ran into a webbed cage trap (I have to be careful about cleaning up if someone makes it into the corridor, otherwise I have to let dozens of dwarves out of cages.)

zone assign all race DWARF caged
Let's Play Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2
Let's Play Kobold Fortress: Masterwork Mod Season 1 | Season 2

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2013, 02:28:57 am »

Well let's see. With this fort I've been trying a new strategy of keeping my wealth as low as possible. Basically I'm not cutting any gems, making any crafts or creating any extravagant furniture. Yet. I'm about two years into it and I'm focusing mainly on giving my dwarves the basic things they need to survive and starting work on a military. I was hoping to have some kind of military up by now but getting my fortress stabilized always seems to take longer than I intend.

I'm going to use marksdwarves as my primary means of defense. I have the barracks area all carved out and my weapon, ammo and armor stockpiles ready. I'm just waiting for my weaponsmith to get around to finishing some copper crossbows. There is a bit of iron ore lying around but copper is more abundant at the moment so I'm going to stick with that for the sake of speed and replace them later with mithril crossbows.

I've had a handful of thieves and kidnappers show up but surprisingly they were all fought off with the two tuskoxen that showed up with my embarkers. I'll need to keep those in mind for future fortresses.

Oh, and my jeweler just created a cage made out of relic. I can only imagine what that's supposed to look like.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2013, 07:23:52 am »

Got another FB right after dealing with a much less friendly relative of your Zabna.

An enormous scaly ass.  It has two narrow tails and it undulates rhythmically.  Its sea green scales are large and close-set.  Beware its poisonous gas!

Time to see if my FB cells are adequate enough to then find a use for the gas. I'm expecting they aren't.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 07:25:26 am by Repseki »

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2013, 08:02:32 am »

zone assign all race DWARF caged

never used that plugin before, do I just set it and next time an idiot dwarf gets themselves caught in a cage they get automatically dragged to the zone or does it need to be run every time?

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2013, 05:35:56 pm »

I should probably start using it too, I just had a Leg Lasher die of thirst after somehow getting himself into a cage. I have absolutely no idea how he did it either.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2013, 02:39:11 am »

Okay, no more untamed wilds. Between all the lion men, giant hornets, forest spiders and velociraptors my dwarves never stood a chance.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 113