Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 848786 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile

I've hand-built every world I've run since I was twelve, the first worlds were silly and inconsistent, but the feeling of creating a setting and filling it with things for people to enjoy has always been my favorite part of being a DM/GM.
It's enjoyable to me when I don't have visuals. I have some very detailed worlds by description alone. But as soon as I try to give it flesh, it doesn't look right
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

I've been meaning to give this world-gen system a try. It's designed for live (or nearly-live) procedural terrain generation. One problem is that whenever I try using it, I only get so far before I come up with "little tweaks" until I'm rolling on a table to generate plate tectonics.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

That make me think... cartography seems like an interesting skill to have, plus I might even be able to make some money from doing commissions.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A (very early) draft of my world:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not bad for having the art skills of a five-year-old.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile

Still substantially better than my shaky hands can produce.  I have nerve damage from entirely too much hand-to hand combat, I can't use lightweight objects like pencils, spoons, etc. without jittering all over the place.

I actually really like your color and style there, with more practice you could make some very cool fantasy maps.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Planned a big assault but one of our players had to leave early.  So our Gangrel wandered off on another "personal quest".  This time, my Mekhet followed her.

Apparently her personal quest is basically to start fights and win.  She's getting better, though - in the session I missed, "nothing" happened (in other words, whatever she did she managed to preserve the masquerade.  However, she's no longer rolling humanity checks for manslaughter.....)

I had to reveal myself and help this time, though, because she's still rolling atrociously badly for regular punching whenever I'm around (and then randomly rolling crazy high whenever she frenzies from desperation and grows giant masquerade-violating claws).  I had my incendiary ammo loaded, too... wasn't pretty.  One of the patrons actually managed to stumble outside, bleeding, and I had to chase him down before someone happened by (it was like 3AM).  As soon as he was dead, I was able to cloak the corpse in obfuscation so nobody noticed it.

I very nearly experienced an anger frenzy myself.  I *almost* resolved the situation nonviolently, by throwing a smoke grenade and shouting a distraction.  Two problems:
1) I acted a little too late, the gangrel character was already in a frenzy
2) The guilt over that murder I premeditated caused me to shout, basically:  "Everybody get down, this is a raid!  We're looking for drugs!  Okay, Kayla can recognize my voice, and that I'm causing a distraction."  Yeaaah, I'm suffering from honestly my favorite derangement ever:  When I commentate on the game, as I have a habit of, my character often unconsciously monologues it aloud.

I actually almost blew my cover a couple rounds early by volunteering "clever" one-liners during the initial fistfight.  It's the perfect derangement.

Oh so I almost frenzied because I came so close to resolving the situation (my hope virtue) but then someone lost an arm to giant fuckoff claws, AND I failed to even save the bartender by botching my grapple check, and she shot me point blank with a shotgun.  I didn't frenzy but I did basically cuss out everyone involved as I gunned them down.  I rolled 1 success for all 7 rounds, juuuuust barely resisting the frenzy but simmering violently.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile

So far, the chaos in that game I mentioned earlier has made me, randomly, a stout halfling ranger folk hero who's afraid of women, goofy, and his favored enemy is humans and gnomes. At level 2, he's going to level up into monk. He's also proficient with tinker's tools. The dice gods also gave me the 3 15's and 3 10's. And apparently, that's one of his worst arrays. I also got monk because I got one reroll on anything, and, despite how awesome it would sound, having a Ranger/Wizard is VERY counterproductive...

We also started recording (obviously since my character is set) and I choked at first. I'm expecting to be the guy who's the most experienced in D&D but also the most socially awkward because I'm not used to improv and such.
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My group isn't collaborating on their new Pathfinder characters, but so far I've had one Magus, one Kineticist, one Samurai and one Cavalier sent to me for approval. There's only one player left who hasn't submitted their character yet, so it's gonna be interesting to see how this group plays out without anyone carrying trapfinding skills, healing magic or arcane utility spells.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile

Luckily, there's always Use Magic Device. Not viable at low levels though. Dem DCs are 20 minimum.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile

First time with tabletops in general, running Alchemist (I convinced the dm to accept my homebrew sheep because I feel like anything else would be sacrilegious for my first pc) with a party consisting of a bard, wizard, cleric, rogue, and druid. Any tips for my first time?

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile

Depends somewhat on the party.

Presuming it's a fairly relaxed party and a good DM, just relax and try to get into the idea of player freedom more than worrying about the nitty gritty of mechanics and min-maxing - if that's what you're after, then that's what CRPGs are for :P )

Similarly if it's a roleplaying focused party, just try and get into the idea of player agency. I've personally found that the best way to get into roleplaying is actually to try not to force it too much, and it kind of creeps up on you after a while with a character.

If it's a mechanically focused group, god help you :P
More seriously, it's as legitimate as any other style of play I guess, but I can't really offer any advice bar being very careful with levels and stuff because falling behind in power can make these kind of games very un-fun.

Obviously combinations do exist :P
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile

Never played one, so I can't help too much. My DM bans a lot of things for little to no reason. If you are playing Pathfinder, then I may be able to help a little bit.

The Alchemist in Pathfinder can do a little bit of everything. Extracts are like spells, Mutagen and Cognatogen are a bit like the Barbarian's Rage, giving you stat bonuses and penalties, and Bombs are bombs. You also get Discoveries, which do a very wide range of things, from growing a Familiar as a tumour on/in your body to becoming a still-living mummy.

I don't know your stats, but Alchs are typically based around Intelligence and Dexterity. You will need an Intelligence of 10 + the Extract level in order to use an extract. This means that you will not need more than 16 Intelligence, as your Extract levels only go up to 6.

Your 'Gens can make you quite a monster; literally. You can be a frontline fighter easily with the right Discoveries and a dose of Mutagen.

Bombs do a scaling amount of d6 dice, and also deal your Intelligence modifier in damage. With Discoveries, you can deal different types of damage, alter the shape of the blast, use area control abilities like unleashing a smoke storm, or even heal allies. Somehow. Though you don't get too many bombs, so they probably shouldn't be a primary source of damage.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile

Sometimes bombs are actually fish, or spiders. Or sentient. Don't be rude.
Black lives matter.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

A bomb's a bad choice for close ranged combat.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 623