Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 438580 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #645 on: June 05, 2019, 10:40:31 am »

Yes; I just quoted that old post because someone was using really old steam-announcement shots and was trying to improve them. Mayday already improved them. ;)

Angled, unconnected, etc: (MOCK-UPS, not ingame)

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Oab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: June 05, 2019, 12:34:04 pm »

Yes; I just quoted that old post because someone was using really old steam-announcement shots and was trying to improve them. Mayday already improved them. ;)

Angled, unconnected, etc: (MOCK-UPS, not ingame)

I am curious how this looks in game and especially curious how the caverns will look.

Have you guys done any mockups using a complex map as a template? I imagine it’s going to be pretty tough to visually digest maps with a lot of ramps and funky wall layouts.

For feedback:

I see issues with the contrast.

The problem is that there isn’t any hue shifting going on which causes it to look flat, and the colors only show light direction and not depth or form well.

I would suggest altering the Hue towards purple for shadows and more towards yellow for highlights. The colors showing lower elevation should be less saturated. Generally the farther the object is the less saturation is has.

Reducing the amount of colors would help improve visual clarity by a lot here. The current tiles have over 40 colors where 7 to 9 would be more than enough, and it would give better control over showing form and elevation.

Another issue I see is that corners appear too sharp which make the terrain look artificial. Breaking up those straight lines on the corners a bit would help it look more natural.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #647 on: June 05, 2019, 01:14:40 pm »

The ramps are all mock-up for now, we can only really do more work in that direction when we can test them ingame. Both Mike and I have different ideas, but we have to wait and see how they look in the game.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: June 05, 2019, 04:17:34 pm »

I really just like the directional light from the top left, which seems to be the way the more recent mock-ups are leaning. The original steam version had directional light from the bottom, which just isn't intuitive at all.

tpssurvivor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: June 08, 2019, 09:27:07 am »

PTW

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #650 on: June 09, 2019, 04:20:28 pm »

I've been messing around with items lately and I had a stupid dwarf idea: What if furniture/items have "varied tiles", just like floors? Players could pick if they have 1 sprite or 4 sprites (and possibly cycle between them, to keep the symmetry if they like it).

Minor variants of the same objects, like these cabinets, coffins and beds.

Just want to know what you guys think, this is probably nothing that will happen in the first release, but for example it's possible right now with TWBT.

Real_bang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: June 09, 2019, 06:06:02 pm »

I've been messing around with items lately and I had a stupid dwarf idea: What if furniture/items have "varied tiles", just like floors? Players could pick if they have 1 sprite or 4 sprites (and possibly cycle between them, to keep the symmetry if they like it).

Minor variants of the same objects, like these cabinets, coffins and beds.

Just want to know what you guys think, this is probably nothing that will happen in the first release, but for example it's possible right now with TWBT.

This is a cool idea but surely will require a lot of work. (and also isnt it for the meph tileset instead of the steam one?)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: June 09, 2019, 06:48:21 pm »

I think the minor variants are worthwhile for very common items. Of those examples, I like the cabinets and I think the beds are fine, but the coffins don't seem adequately recognizable as coffins. The plain one kind of works, but it lacks clear features that make its purpose obvious (like the classic coffin shape) so when you add other clear features (like the dwarf face) they obfuscate the purpose further.

Also it's somewhat weird, though not unbearably so, that dwarves will tuck their sheets in but not straighten their pillows.

KassaK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: June 09, 2019, 07:29:04 pm »

Can't wait for the steam version.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #654 on: June 10, 2019, 05:23:28 am »

There isn't that much furniture and making variants doesn't take long. The example shown uses the steam version style, it's not for my own tileset. But I could do something for my set too.

Cruxador: good thing they are not wooden coffins, but stone sarcophagi 😉

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: June 10, 2019, 08:34:41 pm »

Cruxador: good thing they are not wooden coffins, but stone sarcophagi
That purely nominative distinction isn't pertinent to my point at all.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #656 on: June 10, 2019, 11:47:18 pm »

It is.  Stone sarcophagi don't have the shape of a wooden coffin. They are mostly rectangles or have curved corners. But not the wide shoulders of a coffin.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: June 11, 2019, 01:04:10 am »

It is.  Stone sarcophagi don't have the shape of a wooden coffin. They are mostly rectangles or have curved corners. But not the wide shoulders of a coffin.
They can be, and wooden coffins can be rectangular or have curved corners. These days, they usually do. Regardless of any of that, the sprite ought to be identifiable as what it's intended to represent. As it is now, the material (stone) is unambiguous, but the function and nature of the item is otherwise not apparent. It looks more like a table or altar than a sarcophagus. Hell, if we're talking about sarcophagi that people actual know about, the most famous ones are the Egyptian ones which have the form of an individual molded as the primary aesthetic aspect of their form. European ones are less well known, and also don't look much like what you've depicted. They have form. I'm not saying this is an easy problem with a single obvious solution, but suggesting that there's neither need nor room for improvement simply because what you made is rectangular and sarcophagi are often rectangular? That's the behavior of the fabled ostrich with its head in the sand.

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: June 11, 2019, 03:23:42 am »

Disregarding the ongoing discussion about the actual shape of this very peculiar case of box-for-corpses, I would suggest a lighter hue for the bottom part (the box in itself).
That would, imho, make it clearer and help differentiate it from a table. Making it a little more bulky might help, too.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: June 11, 2019, 05:17:26 am »

The light-dark contrast of the sheets makes them look vertical, like the cabinets.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 178