Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1167603 times)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1650 on: July 27, 2011, 07:09:29 am »

On topic of dwarves carrying multiple items at once, I kind of wish for the entire hauling labor to get some love, specificly make it possible to make carts from wood or some other material, and having either dwarves or beasts of burden pull them around.

You'd have a hauling job like any other, but as soon as the dwarf picks up the item he looks for nearby items that should go to the same targeted stockpile untill the cart is filled, potentially saving a huge amount of time running back and forth. Maybe even have a setting in the stockpile wether to allow cart hauling or not.
That'd be pretty awesome imo, make hauling more realistic and practical.

In fact you could go as far as to make railways with minecarts going through your mines to haul ores and gems to the fortress, to complete the mining experience.

I'm sure it's been discussed before, just throwing in my 2 cents. I can imagine it'd be tricky to code in though.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #1651 on: July 27, 2011, 07:45:32 am »

Guys, I wasn't very active on the DF forums, and I haven't played sinced a long time, so here is my question to you. [I guess the community can give me an answer as well] Baughn started to work on some OpenGL stuff + he wanted to separate text and graphics IIRC. What happened to the project? Is it working in the SDK version or?

Yeah, its rolled into the mainline now. More or less working (there exist some bugs specific to it) afaik. you enable it one of the init files where you change the graphics setting. Instead of standard or 2d you can put in text.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: July 27, 2011, 07:54:23 am »

Guys, I wasn't very active on the DF forums, and I haven't played sinced a long time, so here is my question to you. [I guess the community can give me an answer as well] Baughn started to work on some OpenGL stuff + he wanted to separate text and graphics IIRC. What happened to the project? Is it working in the SDK version or?

Yes that project seems to be still ongoing, but since it seems rather stable and the immediate goals have been met (and Baughn got a job) I guess development has slowed a bit.  Baughn is still fixing bugs as they crop up as you can see in the bug tracker.  The SDL version you can download is the product of that development.  I haven't been following recent development though, Baughn did post in the Ironhand thread quite a bit, you can check there for some more info.

Don't see why not. Makes sense to use what map systems he already has unless there's a pressing need to write up a new one from scratch, like he did here.

Yes, that's what I was thinking.  The scale seems kind of right for a battlemap, and since this is a feature I am dying to see I am inclined to get my hopes up!  But I realise that can only really come in once the army arc starts... just wishful dreaming :)
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: July 27, 2011, 10:43:28 am »

Thanks for the info! Good to hear, that Baughn is still around and working on stuff like that. :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: July 27, 2011, 11:36:36 am »

I have to give credit where credit is due

I love the new town screen. It shows me exactly where the shops I am looking for as well as giving me an interface to walk around in.

Finally I won't have to go on the last crusade to find the weapon shop.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: July 27, 2011, 01:41:08 pm »

How does the building list work, you select one and it shows you the icon(or *) on the citytravel map?
Or does it list only a handfull of local buildings of interest?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 09:02:51 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: July 27, 2011, 09:56:04 pm »

On topic of dwarves carrying multiple items at once, I kind of wish for the entire hauling labor to get some love, specificly make it possible to make carts from wood or some other material, and having either dwarves or beasts of burden pull them around.
[...]
I'm sure it's been discussed before, just throwing in my 2 cents. I can imagine it'd be tricky to code in though.

IIRC, that's going in with the mechanics and siege engine updates after Toady gets the moving buildings stuff working properly. I think the multiple-small-item-hauling stuff will be in before that though, and probably then something to make it harder to haul beds up thirty levels of spiral staircase so people will actually have a reason to build those winches they're always bringing up in the suggestion forum.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: July 28, 2011, 01:50:00 am »

Alright, well, it sounds like Toady is finishing up with town maps pretty soon; this happens to be the only thing listed under release 1, and as such, we are staring down the barrel of a potentially (but certainly not guaranteed) immanent release. 

So far we have:
  • items moving around the world in worldgen (other modes?)
  • expanded/walled cities
  • city underground
  • undead/necromancy
  • vampires/werecreatures
  • criminals and dungeons
  • tombs
  • town maps involving workshops/markets/shops based on world gen economic activities

This is a pretty beefy list of features, each of which have me pretty excited.  I am currently unable to play DF because I keep thinking about all this new stuff coming.  I hope the release comes before I...

Caldfir cancels write thread, too insane.

Caldfir has been stricken by melancholy!
where is up?

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #1658 on: July 28, 2011, 02:17:49 am »

town maps involving workshops/markets/shops based on world gen economic activities

Hmm, I wonder how ready workshop and market stuff is now. There are probably going to be new animals in the next release too.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: July 28, 2011, 06:43:11 am »

When hilldwarves are in, is there a chance we could end up with a town map like the one you posted, but with our own fortress at the center?
Seems unlikely - the hill dwarf settlements probably will use different structures from human towns. Perhaps if you mod the game to have dwarves use towns rather than mountain halls.

town maps involving workshops/markets/shops based on world gen economic activities

Hmm, I wonder how ready workshop and market stuff is now. There are probably going to be new animals in the next release too.
Yeah, Toady has mentioned that he wants to do more animal work after the town travel map. By my count, he should be at otter, snapping turtle, mongoose, crow, octopus, wolverine, wild boar, raven, beaver, coyote, hamster, and hyena. I think there's also a good chance that he'll work on a few more night creatures (stalkers, constructed undead, intelligent undead, and animated furniture at most, I believe).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: July 28, 2011, 10:49:33 am »

I'm really hoping we get stalkers in this release, because I just know that if it doesn't happen now, it'll get put off forever. Just look what happened to formations. :\
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: July 28, 2011, 11:06:22 am »

Vampires and werewolves were postponed in 31.17 too but they are coming in the next version.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #1662 on: July 28, 2011, 11:16:57 am »

Hmm what are these stalkers you speak of? I dont remember a single mention of such thing in any dev log or df talk, can someone give me links?
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: July 28, 2011, 11:22:13 am »

Love, scriver~

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: July 28, 2011, 01:30:09 pm »

I'm really hoping we get stalkers in this release, because I just know that if it doesn't happen now, it'll get put off forever. Just look what happened to formations. :\

Formations? Like stalactites, or like worker unions?
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 298