Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 978 979 [980] 981 982 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2725146 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #14685 on: April 25, 2014, 12:21:26 am »

so, how to I go about downloading tech data from my salvagers? Just finished cleaning up Alpha Centauri after the battle...
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14686 on: April 25, 2014, 12:27:29 am »

Just send them into a system with labs, I believe.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14687 on: April 25, 2014, 12:36:15 am »

so, how to I go about downloading tech data from my salvagers? Just finished cleaning up Alpha Centauri after the battle...

I did a quick search and this was the best result I found. It is an old post though so it might have changed.

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,1570.0.html
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14688 on: April 25, 2014, 12:36:34 am »

Pretty sure they need to be sent to a specific planet, given that research progress is tracked separately for each colony. Unless that was changed recently and I forgot.

More specifically:

1. Salvage wrecks. You now have a salvager with a bunch of tech data and a hold full of parts and minerals.
2. Send salvager to the colony you are researching at.
3. Tech data is automatically added to your research progress at that colony.
4. Dump the parts and minerals on the colony.
5. Click the 'Stockpiles' button of the Industry tab of the Economics window.
6. Select one of the parts that looks like it might be more advanced than what you can make.
7. Click 'Disassemble'.
8. If it gave you RP, repeat for all of the remaining parts of that type. If not, scrap them.
9. Repeat for all other components that might yield RP.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 12:41:08 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14689 on: April 25, 2014, 12:56:38 pm »

It's been a while since I've played Aurora. This was made no more clear to me than when my grav surveyor tried to jump, only to point out that I didn't install any jump engines on it...

... and I've already built 10 of them! Oops.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14690 on: April 25, 2014, 01:13:21 pm »

Quick question that I've never actually tested:

If I'm building a Brigade Transport (designed to move four combat battalions plus the Brigade HQ), does it need four Troop Bays or five?
I.e. does the Brigade HQ count as a battalion for load purposes?

Likewise, does a Division Transport need 16 troop bays or 21 (16 combat units + 4 brigade HQs + 1 division HQ)?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Grunden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14691 on: April 25, 2014, 01:37:15 pm »

If I'm building a Brigade Transport (designed to move four combat battalions plus the Brigade HQ), does it need four Troop Bays or five?

Likewise, does a Division Transport need 16 troop bays or 21 (16 combat units + 4 brigade HQs + 1 division HQ)?

The latter; the HQ units are full sized batallions.

In my games, I tend to design an Assault Carrier with hangar space of 7kt for carrying FACs (6 strike + 1 scout). In a planetary invasion scenario, I swap the FACS out for 1kt landing craft. 3 of them make for carrying a full division without have to create special HQ carrying craft.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14692 on: April 25, 2014, 01:48:20 pm »

The latter; the HQ units are full sized batallions.

In my games, I tend to design an Assault Carrier with hangar space of 7kt for carrying FACs (6 strike + 1 scout). In a planetary invasion scenario, I swap the FACS out for 1kt landing craft. 3 of them make for carrying a full division without have to create special HQ carrying craft.
Okay, good. I've been doing it right all this time then.

I typically have three classes of troopship:
Tarawa-class (carries 1 battalion, good for dropping special-purpose battalions or garrison units on isolated rocks)
Dunkirk-class (carries 1 brigade, as this is the typical-size unit I station on full-fledged colony worlds)
Normandy-class (carries a full division, for deploying forward theaters)

These are all civilian vessels with good armor and a shitload of CIWS. The actual combat dropships are a whole different ball of wax.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Grunden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14693 on: April 25, 2014, 02:10:29 pm »

These are all civilian vessels with good armor and a shitload of CIWS. The actual combat dropships are a whole different ball of wax.

Well yes, I use similar civilian based ships for long range transports. I use the carrier based solution just for hot-drops without having to dedicate a full sized hull for that role. Anyway, FACs make good platforms for orbital assault in that they can be really fast, and can still take a few hits without all the eggs being in one basket.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14694 on: April 25, 2014, 02:19:21 pm »

I considered doing an LP of a different sort today, wondering if there is interest.

Instead of everyone shouting suggestions for the game as I play, people form groups and RP with me as we go.

Like a few people act as the CEO of the commercial shipyards and military designers and rather than designing a ship, I submit requirements to you guys in a bounty system and you submit ship designs. If I accept the design, your company earns some cash which can be redeemed for shipyard upgrades or other perks ingame. Just some light RP and fun with the new version.

Another example might be that you decide to take on the persona of one of the politicians in earthgov and argue with each other over policy.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14695 on: April 25, 2014, 02:30:46 pm »

I considered doing an LP of a different sort today, wondering if there is interest.

Instead of everyone shouting suggestions for the game as I play, people form groups and RP with me as we go.

Like a few people act as the CEO of the commercial shipyards and military designers and rather than designing a ship, I submit requirements to you guys in a bounty system and you submit ship designs. If I accept the design, your company earns some cash which can be redeemed for shipyard upgrades or other perks ingame. Just some light RP and fun with the new version.

Another example might be that you decide to take on the persona of one of the politicians in earthgov and argue with each other over policy.
Heh...I think I had an idea similar to that one time, where people were RP'ing the whole design process.

I'd be in.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #14696 on: April 25, 2014, 03:38:56 pm »

I just threw those together to illustrate what I was talking about better than vague descriptions. I explicitly said as much.
Which is why I edited to make it apparent that I was joking. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

Also, I actually addressed what you were asking. As I said, using decoys and two-stage swarms can work, but ultimately you're allocating resources and magazine space to a specialized weapon which is of dubious effectiveness for one task and markedly inefficient for all others, even more so because you have no real guarantee that the enemy will target the decoys. Heck, just look at the resource costs, the difference is incredibly slim.

I went through and did some maths, and basically what it comes down to is this: If you put warheads on the size-1 decoys, if you have sufficient weight of fire to break through their AMM fire, and if their AMMs don't discriminate between decoys and ASMs, you'll get a slight increase in effective damage per volley, in exchange for spending time, RP, and lots of extra fuel to equip your ships with weapons that will be effectively useless in any other situation.

You could do it, and it would work, but it's of dubious usefulness if you already have the capacity to saturate their defences, if you have AMM ships or PD ships to soak up fire, &c. Basically, if you're willing to go to that much trouble to drain their AMMs, you might as well play the little game of dancing back and forth over the edge of their maximum range. Or you could just turn the decoys into weapons of their own with decent warheads and good speed with a sprint range and just saturate with those without bothering with anything else. :|
Did not get that you were joking, and a bit short-tempered due to overtime.

Anyway, I also envisioned using the decoy missile for use against light assault craft and fighters, as the final stage was envisioned as an even faster version (stripping out some fuel for an extra drive, as it's carried most of the way to the target) of a standard counter-missile, giving it a better chance to hit something very fast.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14697 on: April 25, 2014, 03:48:42 pm »

Aurora Let's Plays of all kinds are cool, though a bit difficult to get off the ground. I'd be up for something like this.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14698 on: April 25, 2014, 04:26:58 pm »

Heh...I think I had an idea similar to that one time, where people were RP'ing the whole design process.

I'd be in.
I also had a similar idea.  Count me in too!

Grunden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14699 on: April 25, 2014, 05:48:51 pm »

Aurora Let's Plays of all kinds are cool, though a bit difficult to get off the ground. I'd be up for something like this.

I think The Coldest War hit upon the magic formula for a forum based LP of Aurora. Specifically the moderator plays one side and the forum plays the other as a group. A lot of LP's fail when there isn't any good NPR action, and multi-empire forum games never seem to work because of the logistics.
Pages: 1 ... 978 979 [980] 981 982 ... 1346