Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 172

Author Topic: Demongate: Wrapping up the Loose Ends.  (Read 676497 times)

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: Demongate, home of the first and best Pimpstack.
« Reply #2370 on: November 19, 2014, 04:14:29 am »

Mask, don't go disappearing on us.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: November 19, 2014, 01:59:04 pm »

4mask will surely deliver.

All we have to do is wait...

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: November 19, 2014, 02:02:39 pm »

I'm alive, just busy. I'll get ya'll something tomorrow night at latest.

jrrocks05

• Bay Watcher
  • serial killer at large
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: November 19, 2014, 04:29:15 pm »

What a strange Skelton it must be some kind of mutant dwarf.
We fear not to walk in the valley of death for we are the baddest most vicious unforgiving motherf---en dwarves in this valley

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: November 20, 2014, 12:11:04 am »

What a strange Skelton it must be some kind of mutant dwarf.
Now now, humans exist in the world of dwarf fortress.

...on the other hand, with the kind of crazy antics that have been going on in this fort, it's not impossible that humans are descended from some dwarves who got flung back through time.
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: November 20, 2014, 02:05:43 pm »

The Battle of the Arena, Part Five
Brenzen’s eyes snapped open once more, revealing the shifting shadows of the arena.  He coughed and tried to stand, but his body was not yet ready to stand up.  He could hear Oku saying something, and spoke, “So that’s why you have hidden for so long.”

He turned his head to see Oku turning to face him, her sword still held over Thane.  He continued to speak, “You were afraid of us.  Afraid that we would learn the truth you have tried for so long to keep hidden.  A truth we discovered long ago, but had lost.”

He attempted to take his feet, and this time his legs held up beneath him, “Olin was right about magic.  Magic is neither good nor bad, Oku.  You know this.  Magic is not aligned with any being.  It is powered by our faith and our innate power.”

Oku’s face became a scowl as Brenzen continued to speak, “You have lost, Oku.  Admit it.  The secret you have kept hidden for so long is finally known.  The power that you wield is not unique, is not special.  We possess the weapons to fight the monsters Steelhold created.”

Oku glared daggers at Sir Brenzen, “It will never leave this room if you die, knight.  And that is exactly what will happen.”  The darkness swirled around Oku, then launched forward in a vortex towards Brenzen.  Brenzen raised his pick and felt the power flow within him, and a vortex of blood-red flame rose forth to fight it.

Far above the clouds, two figures watched the battle below, the clash of flame and darkness.  Lorius Zane frowned and glanced at his companion, “You know that he cannot fight her, don’t you.  His faith is still shaken, and he has not trained for a battle like this.”

Rhaken smiled, a wolfish smile that would set his enemies on edge, “Still doubting your old spymaster, friend?  I would have thought you’d learn to trust me by now.”

Lorius Zane returned his gaze to the battle below, “It bothers me that the fate of dwarvenkind may hang in the balance in the coming days, and I still do not know your plan to combat it.  Anything else, old friend, I would trust you on, but have you considered this may be too big even for you?”

Rhaken’s smile faded as he stared at the battle, “It is my constant fear, Lorius.  I fear that my mind may fail me, that my strategies will fail in a crucial moment and the Adversary will win.  But Armok has entrusted me with this task, and the best laid plans are those kept hidden until they are to be revealed.

Thanatos watched helplessly as his commander fought the human, a clash of fire and darkness overwhelming his vision.  He felt the blood running down his side, and his legs felt numb, unable to move.  He was completely incapable of helping his commander, and it was clear that Brenzen was losing.

Suddenly, FallenAngel’s voice sounded inside his head again, “The cord, Thanatos.  It powers her.”

Thanatos tore his gaze from the battle and peered into the darkness.  Through the swirling shadows, he could see the cord connecting her to the demon.  Slowly, he began dragging his battered body towards it.

RisenDemon worked at the mechanisms, trying to keep up with his brother’s directions.  This was a delicate stage of the proceedings, and if he was to escape this place he needed to finish this project soon.

He started as his brother’s voice sounded in his head, accidently breaking the piece he was working with, “my brother, we need you.”

“Where?”  RisenDemon whispered.

“The arena.  There are many in need of your skills.”

RisenDemon sighed and whispered, “If you say, brother.”  He turned from his task and began to run towards the previously unused arena.

Please refrain from making more journal entries for a bit, until I finish this story.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: November 21, 2014, 11:00:42 pm »

4mask delivered.

The end is nigh.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: November 24, 2014, 01:42:13 pm »

I'm not gone, just busy.  You'll get an update tomorrow or Wendesday.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: November 25, 2014, 08:32:47 pm »

The Battle of the Arena, Part Six
Thanatos crawled forward slowly, approaching where Oku stood from behind.  His grasp tightened on his sword as he located the cord, shifting and shimmering above him.  With the last of his strength, he turned over, raised his sword, and slashed straight through the strands.

Time seemed to slow momentarily, the shadows of the room coalescing around Oku.  Then she let loose an angry roar, and the shadows pulsed outwards, washing over Thanatos, and his vision went dark.

The shadows burst out, smashing dwarves flying.  Brenzen felt himself slam into the wall, the bones in his right arm shattering.  He felt the power within him die out, the stream of fire from his hands stopped.  He slumped to the ground, unable to breathe.

Above the battlefield, Rhaken gazed down on the battle.  He sighed and whispered, "One more mission, old friend.  One more foe to destroy."

Lorius Zane glanced over at him, "You aren't..."

"I had hoped it would not prove to be necessary, my friend.  But the old fox always must plan for every scenario."

Beef Vanderhuge paced slowly around, contemplating the situation with his drug-addled mind.  Tarmid had ordered them up here just to stand here?  He could hear the battle occuring further down the corridor.  Hopefully whatever it was would resolve itself quickly, he was starting to hear the ghosts again.

Suddenly, he felt a presence come over him, washing through his body.  He tried to open his mouth, but found that he couldn't.  He felt an ancient rage, primal anger, directed at something further in the corridor.  His mind was clearer than it had been in years, filled with a sense of purpose.  He knew what he had to do.  Unslinging his spear, he ran towards the battle, ignoring the words Tarmid was saying.

Tarmid watched as Beef ran down the corridor.  This was more focused that he had ever seen Captain Vanderhuge in his life.  He smiled: the saints had a plan.  He had been right, the saints did listen.

"Captain Arbanas, follow Captain Vanderhuge."

Oku whirled around, searching for the fool who had dared sever the connection.  Her eyes fell on the mortally injured dwarf on the floor.  He was of no threat.  A quick overview of the remaining opponents revealed them all to be dead or critically injured.  She had won.

She raised her hands, feeling the power still flowing through the room.  She gathered it, mentally shaping it into the shape of a spear.  She gave the power direction, purpose, sending it flying down towards the adamantine cap that held the spawn of the True Gods in check.  She felt the spear touch the adamantine, but there was a massive resistance.  She felt a power she had not felt in a long time.

"Fractal," she growled, "this isn't your battle.  Stay out."

The FractalEntity's hand on the channeling orb did not waver, "No, Oku.  I have had a long time to ponder the events of Steelhold, and I have chosen my side."

He heard a growl from across the fortress, "You never struck me as a fool, Fractal. Eccentric, yes, but never a fool.  Why, then, have you chosen the losing side."

A small smile ran across The FractalEntity's face, "Because you have always been wrong, Oku.  You long ago lost all links to the mortal world.  You have become that which you worship, an immortal, untouchable entity.  But I?

I have not lost myself"

Beef Vanderhuge ran forward, seeking out the target of the hatred that consumed him.  Through the haze of anger, he felt his mind sharpening, the effects of years of gypsum use burning away.  He burst into the arena to see the evil one standing, locked in a battle with an invisible force.  He smiled.  This kill would be easy.

Oku growled, trying to force her way through The FractalEntity's barrier.  But Fractal was as strong as she remembered, and despite her best efforts brute force would not be the solution here.

Suddenly, she felt her connection to the power disappear, severed by a presence she never thought she would feel again.  She turned and raised her sword, just in time to parry the spear headed straight towards her back.  With a growl of anger, she parried another blow.

"Emdief.  We meet again."

Beef heard the words, as if coming to him from a long distance.  He heard himself say, "Well met, Oku.  How nice of you to join us for your destruction."

His mind was moving on autopilot, launching attack after attack against the human woman in front of him.  He heard her respond, "You were a fool to attack me, Emdief.  I have defeated you every time we have fought."

Beef did not respond: he instead raised his hand and grabbed the demon-woman's spear.  He should have felt pain, he realized, but instead the blade glowed, then vaporized into ash.  He smiled, looking at the now defenseless human.  Yet, inexplicably, she was still smiling, "You are dead, Emdief.  Remember that."

Beef felt a pulse of energy wash over him, a darkness that made him double over and puke.  He felt the presence leave him, wahed away by the energy.  With a clear mind for the first time in years, he saw the woman grab Ob Kat from the ground, raising it over his head.

"You have been an annoyance, dwarf.  Now, you will die for it."

Melbil Arbanas ran after Beef, but Beef ran like a whirlwind, easily outpacing him.  As Beef left his sight, he heard the sounds of battle resume, followed by an exchange of yells.  As he burst into the arena, he saw a human in dark armor preparing to kill Beef.  With a yell, he ran forward, and while the woman turned she was too slow.  Melbil Arbanas's mace slammed down on her helmet, knocking her staggering.  He hit her again and again until she slumped to the ground, then hit her a few more times for good measure.

Oku Constructcudgel, priestess of the Adversary and the Demonic Gods, had breathed her last.

Still got one or two more things to write, sorry about the delay...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 08:51:31 pm by 4maskwolf »

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: November 25, 2014, 08:39:18 pm »

>I have defeated you every time we fought.

>Steelhold

>transgenderedmurderghost.jpg

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: November 25, 2014, 08:44:51 pm »

>I have defeated you every time we fought.

>Steelhold

>transgenderedmurderghost.jpg

Of course she'd say that. Oku is the undisputed master of spouting baloney.

IN OTHER NEWS

I feel like writing again. I think I might actually have time for it too. Just don't know what to write. Gimme scenes, let's see if I can get the ol' creative juices flowing.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: November 25, 2014, 11:57:57 pm »

Heh, glad to hear it. I'm experiencing the opposite right now. I've felt like Demogate's been dead for months, with no real continuing development of the narrative of the history of the settlement. Unlike in Steelhold where we performed various feats of backstabbery, here we've kind of just... stagnated. This is why I sure as heck ain't voting to put Demongate in the hall of Legends. I voted for Steelhold because it was completely bloody awesome. I don't think the narrative we've constructed here is enough for me to get over my discomfort over voting for things I'm part of.

If we're gonna do another Steelholdian narrative-driven fort, I suggest that we go back to the more specific setting of a penal colony (we can do something else, like a genuine military-centric fortress, a religious settlement, a grimdark perspective etc) as constraints generate creativity and I feel like we've made a setting so generic that the real focus of the fort was always on personal dynamism. This left the thread really vulnerable to stagnating when characters died. I really didn't have another Vlad up my sleeve, so I became useless when his story concluded. I've noticed a lot of people seem to have been coping with the monotony of the setting (it gives very few reasons for interaction between characters) by bringing old characters back into the mix.

Not entirely sure what we can do to avoid this kind of degradation of the thread in the future (I'm going to arbitrarily term it Interaction Famine) but I think a good solution for future exposition-heavy forts would be to increase factionalism. Polarizing the characters and driving them into conflict definitely can't go wrong in terms of provoking interest! The question is how we're going to do it. In Steelhold what started as "every sociopath for themselves" worked out - we established clear factions (mind you, the only faction that was really a permanent thing was the Zane-Emdief-Rhaken triumvirate, Old Gods bless) that didn't result in the narrative stagnating. While in Demongate we kind of shied away from interpersonal conflicts, meaning that we settled into a "mainstream group vs the other writers in the thread" mentality.

If I were to do Demongate again, I'd have tried to be more divisive. For example, maybe instead of turning Vlad from "disgusting cheerful pragmatist mercenary" to hype-rationalist militant Philosopher-King of Demogate could have prevented the Evening Prayer Group. I really liked the Evening Prayer Group, but it turned what had been a narrative of Knights/Padre vs. Militia/Factioneers (although Asmoth never went further than teasing that. RIP) vs. Whatthefuckwaseveryoneelseevendoing? into Reasonable & Important Dwarves vs Literally Everyone.

Tl;dr here's what I think we should do for the next thread:
-Be more divisive and less prone to compromise, though factions being temporary and people going from allies to enemies temporarily is by no means bad.
-Get back to a setting thats more specified. If only the bloodkin had actually showed up (looks at RAWs, blushes)
-Figure out what we're doing here. If I'm correct most of us are really into the universe we've been making for 2 threads now, but maybe a clean break and starting afresh would be good for us? I know some of us weren't keen on doing a direct sequel as opposed to a spiritual successor in the first place. Mayhaps they were right.
-Challenge? I feel like next time it'd be good to embark somewhere where we don't end up in a permastable fort like we did in Demongate. So what do we do? Mod elves to give them better weaponry? (Stone/glass weapons and innate skills could make them very, very threating in nonconventional ways) Settle in a particularly unfriendly biome, with close proximity to enemy settlements + necro towers? Make it mandatory to go to war with everyone? Come on, you know you want to give Gnorm more excuses to murder overseers.
-Megaprojects: I feel like we could benefit from some architectural weirdness. Not really my thing personally (you'll remember that most of my projects have been security/morale oriented in both forts) but some of my favorite developments in these threads have been the bizzarchetecture. Imagine if we actually bothered to finish Castle Helgarde, or the magma weapon, or used the arena.
-Personally I'd like to get the guys from Ardendikes onboard with us. They're good at story, like to do the classical ridiculous  construction, and we could use the fresh blood IMO. They've got their own fort going on right now, but it seems pretty dead. They've always had a much slower pace than we, but I think maybe it's worth looking into.

Sorry for the Great Wall-of-Text of China, I'm worried about mongolians on 120 mg of Concerta and have been writing essays for the past 12 hours. (My academic career is... completely and utterly doomed btw)

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: November 26, 2014, 03:47:59 am »

Yeah, I'd agree with a lot of those points. My tentative idea for another fort was the dwarven civilisation being wiped out and the fort being founded by refugees of a glacier/tundra. Also, elves would be modded to be more like the pre-Tolkien version, because it'd help with wiping out civilisation and killing elves is fun. In relation to that, does anyone know how to mod in a weakness to iron?

For factions in that case, there'd only be two I guess, those who want to re-conquer to world versus ones who want to just turtle up, but you'd also be able to have people who are against having nobles when resourses are so thin when most dwarves want a king, and so forth.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: November 26, 2014, 05:06:34 am »

Feel free to ignore me, I've been awake for over 24 freakin hours. My body is full of caffine and ADD medication. And yet I'm not doing my work because reasons.  :-\

If the elf mod thing happens, I actually want them to have a really Aztec feel to them. This is mostly because the way I want to make them actually deadly is by giving them obsidian muachuitil (read; monomolecular-edged saw-swords with frequent, painful, bone-breaking blunt attacks. Oh god.) and capable anti-armor blunt projectiles (slings, bolas, etc) and the pre-columbian American cultures have those kind of weapons in spades.
Also, they kidnap people, sacrifice them to their gods, and eat them. So basically elves with [BABYSNATCHER] enabled already.
Plus the elves themselves would be getting a hefty stat bonus; they should have innate climbing, high movement speed and innate skills in dodging and projectile weaponry already in vanilla according to fluff.

I guess we could mod a syndrome caused by contact with iron that only affects elves while we're at it?

If we do do a polar fortress, might I suggest we gen until we find an abandoned south-polar fort (gonna have to mod dwarves to start in that location but only settle mountains, but make there be so few mountains and so many megabeasts that the polar forts are unlikely to survive) and then reclaim? It'd have a great refugee vibe to it, and it would fit with pre-existing lore; Vlad's prior mercenary experience before Demongate was at a fortress called Savagewinds, which was essentially the last survivor of an attempt to colonize lands close to the South Pole. The fort fell prior to the Bloodkin invasion of the New World.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 05:11:12 am by MDFification »

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: November 26, 2014, 05:12:51 am »

What I liked about Steelhold was that we were all playing complete and utter psychopaths; if we wanted to do something crazy and kill a ton of dwarves, it was justified and no-one would find it odd. Here, I feel like we've made the characters too heroic with not enough insanity; I certainly wouldn't pull off any elf-serum plot-lines here. Once Corley and Leopold are out of the picture, I'll be able to start almost entirely fresh should we decide to continue.

If we were to make another thread after this, I'd recommend the premise be a fortress that's a military base for the Dwarven Army, but its one of those bases that they send the crazy and misbehaving soldiers to. No heroic, last bastion of Dwarfkind this time, just an unfortunate base full of crazy soldiers and unlucky citizens who needed a new home.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 172