Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 1178

Author Topic: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread  (Read 1072669 times)

YellowPebble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF2010 Little Questions Thread
« Reply #4920 on: November 10, 2010, 01:17:08 pm »

Sounds a little fiddly, but worth trying. What happens if I were then to disband the squad? Would they retain their new clothes?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4921 on: November 10, 2010, 01:22:47 pm »

No. Because the clothes were fortress issue, they don't get claimed by dwarves.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

GJScarritt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4922 on: November 10, 2010, 01:25:20 pm »

I am so hoping the "Not wearing new clothes claimed" bug is fixed in the next release.  The walking around in rags (or nude) irks me no end when the Fort is rolling in wealth.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4923 on: November 10, 2010, 01:25:41 pm »

They'd leave them laying all over the place; if they're not in a squad anymore, they don't care if the gear reaches squad storage. Which doesn't appear to work consistently, anyway.

You never have to activate them, though. So you could assign them a 'uniform' with a variety of civilian clothes that can't necessarily be worn together, set to 'partial matches'. You might get them wearing mismatched socks and shoes, but at least they aren't walking barefoot on beast extract.

Try doing this when your population reaches 100+; I dare you.

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4924 on: November 10, 2010, 02:06:07 pm »

does forcing said clothes to move (like flushing them) or having them flagged for dumping help any? i've tried it but my fortress atm is really weird so i cant tell if it should work in general - they also refuse to move clothes from dead dwarves in the fort even though i've got them to auto-reclaim and i've checked that they're not forbidden. i'm encountering new strange behaviours like, dumping coke works fine, but even though i have a ton of bins and space on the bar stockpile they never care to take the coke there (from either the workshop or when reclaimed or even when i deconstruct the workshop). and i dont have any bins reserved so i dont get it. i also have a couple of corpses and rock flagged for mining deep down at the lower z-levels but nobody seems to care even though there is clearly a path to both these places. i'm using a spiral ramp 3 tiles wide if that makes any difference.

also, can building destroyers break retracting bridges? i've read that they can destroy bridges if they get to their base, the pivot point, but last fortress i had a retracting bridge that trolls never cared about, so to attract them i had to open my front entrance so they'd fall into my traps.
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

YellowPebble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4925 on: November 10, 2010, 03:41:39 pm »

Do (civilian) dwarves ever claim unused garments by themselves? How does dwarf ownership of anything work, anyway? Presumably they own the clothes they arrive with, along with any furniture in any room assigned to them, but how do they acquire ownership of anything else?

Also several other irritations that someone can hopefully help with:
* Due to an unfortunate design flaw in my well, my entire dining room is now covered in mud (it could have been much worse). However, no one seems interesting in cleaning it- how do I get dwarves to clean off the mud?
* I've got a single dwarf doing archery practice. I have specifically told him in the Military-Ammunition menu to use Metal Bolts only for Combat, and Wooden Bolts only for training. He has correctly equipped himself with both kinds of bolts, and a quiver, and a crossbow. However, he persists in wasting my bronze bolts shooting at the archery target. Any ideas?
* Do dwarves ever actually use coffers and cabinets in their bedrooms for anything? If so, what?
* How do I let animals out of cages or put them into them?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4926 on: November 10, 2010, 03:48:30 pm »

Right now, dwarves own only clothes and food. In older versions, and in the future, dwarves will aquire possessions once the economy kicks in. Right now the economy is bugged so it won't activate. Dwarves will store clothes in their cabinets and other items in their coffers.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4927 on: November 10, 2010, 03:52:43 pm »

Do (civilian) dwarves ever claim unused garments by themselves? How does dwarf ownership of anything work, anyway? Presumably they own the clothes they arrive with, along with any furniture in any room assigned to them, but how do they acquire ownership of anything else?

Also several other irritations that someone can hopefully help with:
* Due to an unfortunate design flaw in my well, my entire dining room is now covered in mud (it could have been much worse). However, no one seems interesting in cleaning it- how do I get dwarves to clean off the mud?
* I've got a single dwarf doing archery practice. I have specifically told him in the Military-Ammunition menu to use Metal Bolts only for Combat, and Wooden Bolts only for training. He has correctly equipped himself with both kinds of bolts, and a quiver, and a crossbow. However, he persists in wasting my bronze bolts shooting at the archery target. Any ideas?
* Do dwarves ever actually use coffers and cabinets in their bedrooms for anything? If so, what?
Try making the dining hall a meeting place, this should help get it cleaned much more quickly.

Forbid the bronze bolts untill you need them.

Yes, dwarves will store owned clothes in cabinets. I assume coffers also de something, but I've never used them.

[q] over the cage, and go to the [a]ssign list. From there, you can choose animals to be stored or released from the cage.

YellowPebble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: November 10, 2010, 04:00:56 pm »

The dining hall is already a meeting place, and contains more than half my fortress, over 30 dwarves, all of them with the Cleaning labour enabled and most of them with "No Job".

Forbidding the bolts will clearly work, but I was hoping for an explanation for why the ammunition settings don't seem to work. Is the feature bugged, or is there anything I'm likely to be doing wrong?

How does a dwarf come to own clothes that they're not actually wearing?

q'ing over the cage merely selects the stockpile the cage is in- I don't see any "assign" option.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4929 on: November 10, 2010, 04:12:02 pm »

1. Cleaning is exceedingly low priority. It may take an in-game year or more for it to show up

2. It's a bug

3. Magic

4. You have to build the cage like a table to use that method. There are other ways, which have been explained at least a dozen times in this thread in the past few days.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: November 10, 2010, 04:15:39 pm »

Is the room both paved and underground?

The feature does not work properly at this time.

This usually happens to military dwarves who cannot wear their assigned equipment in conjunction with their normal clothes.

You must [ b]uild the cage[j?] first.
If the animal to be removed is hostile, you should set it up in a lockable room, with the cage connected to a lever. Pull ing the lever will release everthing inside the cage at once.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4931 on: November 10, 2010, 04:16:51 pm »

Is the dining hall area smoothed or constructed? Dwarves won't clean a rough, natural surface, they'll think the mud is supposed to be there (that's why farms work!).

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4932 on: November 10, 2010, 04:29:18 pm »

Mild annoyance: Why do dwarves seem to path to the most distant (random?) piece of stone to complete a task.
I have created workshops with stockpiles of stones surrounding them but no....
My masons go to the furthest reaches of my mines to pick up that random piece of diorite (when I wanted all doors to be microcline!).
My smith has to pick up the most further lying piece of limestone to make the pig iron when next door there is a huge stockpile prepared.

What is causing this? Any other workarounds besides mass forbiddings via Stocks menu?  ::)

What you could do, if you only want to use a single type of stone or a few different types, is to go to the Stone menu and disable all other stones. I use this since I tend to queue 60 jobs at a time, so i just futz with the stone options whenever they finish up, or just use one type entirely.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4933 on: November 10, 2010, 05:55:33 pm »

Let me try.

They never clean mud, ever.  It has nothing to do with the type of floor.  You have to construct/deconstruct something to clean it manually (which is also a good strategy for force-cleaning pools of poison).  Wiki page on cleaning, wiki page on mud.

Forbidding the bolts will clearly work, but I was hoping for an explanation for why the ammunition settings don't seem to work. Is the feature bugged, or is there anything I'm likely to be doing wrong?

It is bugged.  Wiki page on archery.

Wiki page on containers (including both coffers and cabinets).  I've only seen coffers used, but that's probably because all the clothes have rotted off of my dwarves and they refuse to claim new ones.  Oh, wait . . .

How does a dwarf come to own clothes that they're not actually wearing?

Yeah, there's an annoying bug.  See everyone else's posts.  We're hoping it will get fixed.

Edit: whoops, it seems no one has directly answered this one.  The bug is that dwarves don't reliably claim new clothes.  You might note the various discussions of people finding dwarves have no clothes in their long-standing forts, despite thriving textile industries.

People handled this already, but here's the wiki page on cages, just to continue my wiki-linking theme.

I'm now imagining a little internet gnome with a name tag and hairnet saying "Thank you for choosing 'the wiki' for your question-answering needs."

--Rexfelum
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 06:05:45 pm by Rexfelum »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4934 on: November 10, 2010, 06:03:59 pm »

They never clean mud, ever.
I am almost completely certain that dwarves do, in fact, clean mud off of underground smoothed/constructed floors.
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 1178