Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 105

Author Topic: Clockwork Empires - 1.0 release October 26th  (Read 246176 times)

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clockwork Empires - **Earliest access! Testing Details linked in OP **
« Reply #1500 on: May 22, 2016, 06:12:03 pm »

A fix for now would to allow ques for each individual workstation.

A better way would to allow workstations to be grouped together and ques.  Example would be 3 workstations in group A set to make up to X planks, if no planks need to be made then make those, if enough those make these.  At the same time workstation group B would be set to make bricabrac, them and those.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: May 23, 2016, 02:48:47 am »

even better when you queue up something the dependencies get queued as well if not available at emptiest workstation (see gnomoria for how that works in practice)

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: May 23, 2016, 08:50:55 am »

Or a queue in which you set up that you want only sawmills to make item A, that way everything else doesn't try to make item A and things smooth out a bit faster.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: May 23, 2016, 10:47:51 am »

>:(   I (still) can't play this game, as all textures for some reason are black.
I have asked on the steam forum and the devs are aware of the problem, - but just in case any bay12formite has had and solved the same issue, then I ask:

Has anybody else experienced that the UI was visible, but the 'world' was black in black?
And if so, - did you find a solution?
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: May 23, 2016, 11:06:11 am »

Never had that problem, but I've only last took a gander at it a few months ago.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: October 07, 2016, 06:32:31 am »

So this game is coming out of early access on October 26th. Has anyone been playing the more recent builds? If so how is it?

I've been eagerly awaiting this one, but I haven't heard much about it recently.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: October 07, 2016, 06:42:12 am »

Unfortunately, the new builds have been heavy on micromanagement which has turned me off from the game for now. I hope they will reconsider the design choice.

Basically, a few versions back they introduced "repair trunks". These were basically things you built in different workshops and they were used to maintain production stations like bureaucracy desks and furnaces. This replaced the old system where something broke, you needed components that were used to build it.

This caused much consternation among the population so the system was scrapped. Instead, various workstations now eat resources. For example, bureaucracy desks now eat paper. While in execution this is different from the upkeep trunks, it is similar in thought. In order to have your colony function you need to churn out resources to keep other resources being churned out.

On a general level this would be okay if we could automate production, but right now it means you must constantly micro the supply of certain goods. It as well locks your build order of the colony into a certain line. So that in order to build workshop X you first need workshops Y and Z since they produce the things X eats. I guess that alone would be fine, it is just the micro that gets annoying.

It is a bit like Dwarf Fortress before managers etc and with a huge fort.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: October 07, 2016, 07:21:01 am »

That sounds like the systems in "The Settlers". Different building chains requiring specific resources. Resources could be stacked up outside the required building so you had a buffer before they ran out/ I think you could use different resources of the same type for buildings (Like, coal mines require bread but you could supply meat) and they'd still work, just more slowly.

I can't remember whether the production chains in The Settlers was 1/1 or not. I think a piece of bread would allow the mine to output a few loads of coal, though wheat to flour might've been 1/1. I'm thinking of "The Settlers IV" here.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1508 on: October 07, 2016, 08:11:26 am »

On a general level this would be okay if we could automate production, but right now it means you must constantly micro the supply of certain goods. It as well locks your build order of the colony into a certain line. So that in order to build workshop X you first need workshops Y and Z since they produce the things X eats. I guess that alone would be fine, it is just the micro that gets annoying.
Wait are you no longer able to set up a 'standing order'? I remember being able to set it to produce, for example, planks continuously until you had x number. Admittedly I haven't played recently because every time I tried I just got swarmed by bandits and killed, so I lost interest.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: October 07, 2016, 08:16:53 am »

You can set standing orders, but you need to micro the orders to produce anything else then.

Oh yeah and recruiting soldiers is harder too, plus they use ammunition, same with hunters... So defending yourself requires a supply chain and is hard to do. In addition, only naturalists can hunt and hunting uses ammunition as well.

In general it feels just like... instead of making things deeper, they've decided to make existing things more complicated. It sounds similar but there is a difference. Instead of more options, we are required to jump more loops. I find it frustrating...but I suppose players who enjoy micromanagement like it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1510 on: October 07, 2016, 08:23:34 am »

You can set standing orders, but you need to micro the orders to produce anything else then.

Again, I haven't played in a while but when I did you could set orders per workbench so I'd just have one workbench dedicated to making an item if I had a standing order, and another for intermittent items I needed only finite amounts of. Did that change?

Managing supply chains I can do, I do this in DF all the time. It was more the 'whoops bandits showed up on day 2 good luck not dying' that annoyed me. If I have time to actually get production going I'm fine. I probably played an interim build where they were tweaking things.

In fact I think I'll fire it up again and see.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1511 on: October 07, 2016, 10:12:01 am »

So it's not as bad as all that. Pistols require no ammo at all now, and are the default weapon. Ammo is fairly simple to make honestly. I'm going to restart this game as I did a few stupid things.

Don't anger the fish people early on.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: October 07, 2016, 11:35:46 am »

Man, I haven't played this since the alpha. I suppose a couple more weeks won't hurt.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Clockwork Empires - 1.0 release October 26th
« Reply #1513 on: October 07, 2016, 07:27:00 pm »

So this just happened.

Apparently the whole game is just a hologram!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I already reported it and sent them a save, but amusing nonetheless.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 07:29:32 pm by forsaken1111 »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clockwork Empires - 1.0 release October 26th
« Reply #1514 on: October 26, 2016, 04:26:16 pm »

Well this looks lackluster and people that have put tens of hours in say the same.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 105