Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25

Author Topic: National LCS Revisited (4.07.4 Beta Release!)  (Read 104907 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: National LCS Revisited
« Reply #120 on: May 24, 2013, 11:04:58 pm »

Looking for feedback on the latest version: Does the National LCS feature feel basically sound, or shaky and broken? Do you get bugs where people go to prison in the wrong city, news stories in the wrong place, bizarre things like that? I've tried to take care of all of the weird bugs I knew about with it in 4.07.2, and make it optional as well, so I'm hoping that forms a good groundwork for being able to fold it into the main game, but I want to make sure it feels... structurally sound.

seth--

• Bay Watcher
  • We need a slogan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 25, 2013, 03:04:03 am »

I'm too busy to play, so I'm gonna ask.
Did you fix this? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125450.msg4231899#msg4231899
I am confused are you saying you changed the kidnapping so it is less... Saw?
Did Saw consist of you beating them then yelling Ronald Reagan in their face?

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 25, 2013, 03:40:12 am »

I've yet to encounter any game-breaking bugs (that haven't already been mentioned), but I haven't been able to play it as much as I'd like.

I'm loving what I have played, though.
Find the errors in the above post and win a prize!

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 25, 2013, 05:04:22 am »

I'm too busy to play, so I'm gonna ask.
Did you fix this? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125450.msg4231899#msg4231899

The bank thing is working as designed. The amount of time that banks stay on high security varies a lot, but it's huge compared to any other building. Slip the teller a note and it could still be on high security five months later. Point a gun at the teller and loot the vault and you could see it on high security for years, depending on how thoroughly you loot the vault. This is a balance factor against the relative ease of robbing low security banks, and the large amount of money it gives.

The learn at the university district thing is just a display oddity where one of the options isn't shown if you're hurt, rather than the game's behavior being off; there isn't actually meant to be a game rule that says you can't go to classes while injured, I'd just that I run out of room on that screen to show both options at once. That weirdness is still there in 4.07.2, but I think I'll be able to fix the space issue on that screen in 4.07.3. Crossing fingers!

Jboy2000000

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello good people of the interwebs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 25, 2013, 05:24:57 am »

Since you're working on space, do you think you could do something about the law screen? The fact there aren't three laws in the last row makes me really angry.
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."

Just goes to show, even a Male Doctor that Looks Like a Female and a Criminal with Poor Hygiene Habits can fall in love.

Carlos Gustavos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 27, 2013, 04:12:58 pm »

Do you get bugs where people go to prison in the wrong city, news stories in the wrong place, bizarre things like that?
I've been looking in justice.cpp recently and it looks to me like the function imprison doesn't consider different cities.

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 27, 2013, 04:26:09 pm »

I have been playing LCS for years and it never occured to me to thank you.

Thank you.

seth--

• Bay Watcher
  • We need a slogan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 28, 2013, 12:01:04 pm »

I'm playing now.

Haven't found any bugs yet, but travel menu feels a little wrong.
In the old versions it was easy to find a place, everything was organized. Now, site locations in the city look more random.
It may be me being used to the old way, but I think it's not.
I understand this can be more realistic but please consider another way to do it.

Also, I used to use that menu to see the heat in my safehouses. Now, If my squads are in Los Angeles and my programmers are stealing credit cards in Seattle, I have no idea how to check the heat in the seattle safehouse.

Edit:
----ITEM-----------------CURRENT LOCATION----------NEW LOCATION-----------------
A - AK-47 (30)           Projects                  1 - Shelter
B - Aslt/Rifle Mag       Projects                  2 - Meat Plant
C - Laptop               Projects                  3 - Projects
                                                   4 - Warehouse
                                                   5 - Shelter
                                                   6 - Shelter
                                                   7 - Cement
                                                   8 - Shelter
                                                   9 - Fertilizer
There are too many places with the same name, looks like I have to guess a little. Maybe you could add the city name in the repeated locations
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 12:08:17 pm by seth-- »
I am confused are you saying you changed the kidnapping so it is less... Saw?
Did Saw consist of you beating them then yelling Ronald Reagan in their face?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 28, 2013, 03:13:38 pm »

may we can cut the city's down to one per state and just use the two letters abbreviations.

so we have shelter NY and shelter LA
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 30, 2013, 11:56:30 am »

New Bug Found!

Greater Hollywood is now a part of Washington D.C.!

Also, this isn't a bug, but I would recommend separating the "Travel to a Different City" command from the rest of the traveling options. Just putting a single space between the options would probably work. Something like this:

A - Downtown
B - University District
C - Industrial District
D - Outskirts

E - Travel to a Different City

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 04, 2013, 04:34:29 pm »

Bumping this, and reporting a bug.

If you have the multiple cities turned on, news reports will still list your hometown as the location.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

bigbillyjohn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 05, 2013, 08:32:11 pm »

I sent my leader on a vacation and a few days in the game crashed with a vector subscript out of range error

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 05, 2013, 08:52:55 pm »

Since you're working on space, do you think you could do something about the law screen? The fact there aren't three laws in the last row makes me really angry.

I think that would have to wait on two new laws being added to the game, or one being removed.

Do you get bugs where people go to prison in the wrong city, news stories in the wrong place, bizarre things like that?
I've been looking in justice.cpp recently and it looks to me like the function imprison doesn't consider different cities.

Good catch; I've been able to rewire that one. Commit is pending completion of another feature I have half-written.

Edit: Changed my mind, committed the feature incomplete to make sure I don't do another "oops I deleted everything on my desktop" like I did with the old interrogation overhaul. Build should be perfectly stable, just isn't release ready because there's an option that doesn't quite work as advertised.

I have been playing LCS for years and it never occured to me to thank you.

Thank you.

Thank you for playing and sharing your appreciation!

I'm playing now.

Haven't found any bugs yet, but travel menu feels a little wrong.
In the old versions it was easy to find a place, everything was organized. Now, site locations in the city look more random.
It may be me being used to the old way, but I think it's not.
I understand this can be more realistic but please consider another way to do it.

I'm interested in second opinions and ideas on this. It's something I'm concerned about, but I'd like to have more data before feeling certain about any direction. I think the flipside to not knowing where everything is right away is that if the cities are homogenized in their layout they'll feel samey and like carbon copies of each other. I'm not sure how to most elegantly handle this.

New Bug Found!

Greater Hollywood is now a part of Washington D.C.!

Oops! I don't think I even meant for Washington D.C. to be visitable in the last release. One thing that I've struggled with it the districts for different cities; I put way too much time into figuring out what to name the districts and how to lay things out.

Any ideas for how the districts should be named in DC?

Also, this isn't a bug, but I would recommend separating the "Travel to a Different City" command from the rest of the traveling options. Just putting a single space between the options would probably work. Something like this:

A - Downtown
B - University District
C - Industrial District
D - Outskirts

E - Travel to a Different City

Good idea. I'll do this.

Bumping this, and reporting a bug.

If you have the multiple cities turned on, news reports will still list your hometown as the location.

Thanks, this is just the sort of thing I'm trying to make sure to track down all the instances of. I remember fixing it and can't reproduce this issue on my computer, so I'm guessing I fixed this last time I was working on the game. We'll have to verify if it's still fixed for next release rather than the currently out one.

I sent my leader on a vacation and a few days in the game crashed with a vector subscript out of range error

Thanks, this was easier to fix than most issues like this, because it's consistent -- it happens every time you go on vacation in the latest version, guaranteed. The bad thing is, it borks your save, because the crash only happens a week after the decision to go on vacation is saved. So for now, avoid vacations in this version. I've found the issue, however, and will have it fixed in the next release.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 09:35:14 pm by Jonathan S. Fox »

Capital Fish

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hi Mister Dog!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 05, 2013, 09:37:44 pm »

Oops! I don't think I even meant for Washington D.C. to be visitable in the last release. One thing that I've struggled with it the districts for different cities; I put way too much time into figuring out what to name the districts and how to lay things out.

With regards to Washington DC, I'd label it as such:

Downtown (usual buildings - Police Station, Courthouse, etc)
National Mall (White House, Capital Building, etc)
Arlington (Pentagon, Intelligence HQ)

I wouldn't bother giving the outskirts a special name - calling it "Virginia" as you have actually seems too broad and limiting at the same time.

Washington D.C. could also get away with the bare minimum of standard LCS buildings. Every city needs a police station, hospital, and the like - but no player is going to head to Washington so they can mess up a plastic factory or genetics lab.

Just my ramblings on the subject, though. Feel free to cherry pick anything useful, and disregard the rest.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 06, 2013, 01:18:52 am »

With regards to Washington DC, I'd label it as such:

Downtown (usual buildings - Police Station, Courthouse, etc)
National Mall (White House, Capital Building, etc)
Arlington (Pentagon, Intelligence HQ)

I wouldn't bother giving the outskirts a special name - calling it "Virginia" as you have actually seems too broad and limiting at the same time.

Washington D.C. could also get away with the bare minimum of standard LCS buildings. Every city needs a police station, hospital, and the like - but no player is going to head to Washington so they can mess up a plastic factory or genetics lab.

Just my ramblings on the subject, though. Feel free to cherry pick anything useful, and disregard the rest.

IIRC the White House is away from the National Mall.  The Mall is a great place for Parks though, given all the memorials.  Site special for impromptu speeches (single issue, relevant to the location) would be eminently suitable.  Wanna target military spending? head for the Vietnam Wall.  Racial Equality?  We Have A Dream.

Yeah, there are trial courts in DC.  Don't forget the Supreme Court, though.

About "typical" LCS actions in DC: probably a lot greater Conservative Response, both in terms of personnel and tighter Heat limits*, but correspondingly greater media pop.  I'm not sure how much more media coverage the Beltway snipers got due to their choice of op-area, but I'd imagine there was some effect.

*Really harsh: any site action within DC that results in a newspaper article also gives a Terrorism charge.

University Districts might be different in each city: UCLA might have a good Physics curriculum whilst Georgetown's (private uni in DC) Public Policy department is second to none, at least in LCS.

DC really ought to have the FBI HQ at some point, too.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25