Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Listen to Wikipedia! (Oh the glorious harmony of data in the evening!)  (Read 1148 times)

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

http://listen.hatnote.com/

A slightly interesting gadget I found.

Basically er...

Listen to the sound of Wikipedia's recent changes feed. Bells indicate additions and string plucks indicate subtractions. Pitch changes according to the size of the edit; the larger the edit, the deeper the note. Green circles show edits from unregistered contributors, and purple circles mark edits performed by automated bots. You may see announcements for new users as they join the site, punctuated by a string swell. You can welcome him or her by clicking the blue banner and adding a note on their talk page.

Yeah, accompanied on the bottom by a log of all the edits and changes.

The number of edits (about 2-3 per second) doesn't really surprise me, the number of  new users does (bout 2 every minute). It really is a quite nice thing to listen to in the evening, I like to leave it open in the back when I'm doing other things, pretty relaxing.

Also occasionally you can watch/listen to post wars in real time!

You can also listen to the other language versions of Wikipedia, and even Wikidata, which is the most active and harmonic one.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 06:11:21 pm by Vivalas »
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Listen to Wikipedia! (Oh the glorious harmony of data in the evening!)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 06:47:18 pm »

So chill...
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 07:29:59 pm »

Ptw
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 07:53:22 pm »

Hehe, thanks this is... interesting!  I feel this is probably what a higher being experiences when it takes in the petty lives of humans... sockpuppets and edit-wars and censorship fade to the background and become curios of human nature.  Well, I guess that's how Wikipedia should be viewed by anyone anyway.  Mehates Wikipedia, but this is great.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 10:19:31 pm »

I'll stick with Wikibear.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 01:52:17 am »

Hehe, thanks this is... interesting!  I feel this is probably what a higher being experiences when it takes in the petty lives of humans... sockpuppets and edit-wars and censorship fade to the background and become curios of human nature.  Well, I guess that's how Wikipedia should be viewed by anyone anyway.  Mehates Wikipedia, but this is great.

Hey now, wikipedia is a great source of information, often very clear and helpful.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 09:09:58 am »

its so calming
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 10:01:57 am »

Hey now, wikipedia is a great source of information, often very clear and helpful.

Clearly hermes owns stock in 'Britannica.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 08:36:14 am »

i

That is actually an interesting concept, like this but with birth, death and whatever else.

Only Satan himself and people who think Wikipedia is a faulty information source because anyone can edit it hate Wikipedia. The latter is you, Im assuming.

"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 03:01:55 pm »

OR he could own stock in the makers of a defunct encyclopedia like Britannica of Encarta
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις