Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Controlled amputation  (Read 2132 times)

beefsupreme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Controlled amputation
« on: January 25, 2015, 10:10:00 pm »

I want to delimb some of my dwarfs. Is there a way to control with some degree of accuracy which limbs are lost, and is it possible to do it to children (IE, without using armor)? I'm willing to take some casualties along the way but I'd like at least one surviving triple or quadruple amputee

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: Controlled amputation
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 10:35:58 pm »

The best way would be to give them really good armor except for the limbs you want cut off then danger room them, but with actual high quality spears. The spears would need to be high quality because upright spears/spikes are the only trap your dwarves can trigger (without falling unconscious on them) and spears aren't particulary good at cutting off limbs directly, then since the spears are high quality the armor needs to be higher quality to minimize injuries to other areas. I'd suggest only one spear per tile because you're trying to be precise here, and if a limb is severed you probably want to stop immediately before any more injuries happen.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 10:42:24 pm »

Dropping a dwarf onto a weapon trap from a z-level above will stun him, allowing the weapon traps to trigger. Steel armor and copper/iron serrated disks would be best; spears are too thin to sever limbs. Be sure to have a good medical staff on hand, and remember that chainmail shirts will cover the upper arms. Breastplates, leggings, boots and a helm will allow the traps to sever both arms, while replacing the leggings and boots with a pair of gauntlets should take care of the legs without much fuss. Obviously children aren't eligible for the operation.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 10:45:38 pm »

I believe you can add [IS_SPIKE] to Serrated Discs in the raws and make it possible to use them in upright spikes traps. I don't know of anyway to specifically insulate children.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 01:17:48 am »

Dropping a dwarf onto a weapon trap from a z-level above will stun him, allowing the weapon traps to trigger. Steel armor and copper/iron serrated disks would be best; spears are too thin to sever limbs. Be sure to have a good medical staff on hand, and remember that chainmail shirts will cover the upper arms. Breastplates, leggings, boots and a helm will allow the traps to sever both arms, while replacing the leggings and boots with a pair of gauntlets should take care of the legs without much fuss. Obviously children aren't eligible for the operation.
I think it'd actually be best to keep the boots on because it's the whole leg he wants removed not the foot, and if the dwarf loses just a foot they're going to crawl to the hospital and waste time that could be spent amputating limbs.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 03:31:19 am »

I've had great success with amputation by alligator.
It helped that my dorfs were pretty good swimmers. Often the attacked dorf would survive just fine, but his rescuer would be the one who would loose a hand or a foot. I had a dorf with nothing left but one foot, and he became a legendary engraver. He was a hero, having saved... uh... most of many children. We were pretty much constantly producing nice heavy lead crutches, and a named alligator was indeed bludgeoned to death with a rather fancy lead crutch with silver and bone decorations all over it. Sadly the crutch, being a piece of furniture, was not named. Sigh.

Ever since Alligator Creek I tend to only put a dwarf in the position of Champion if they're using a crutch (and thus must be missing part of a leg), and I forbid any wooden crutches, all our crutches are made out of heavy metals. The exceptions to that rule have been particularly spectacular fighters, such as a biting dwarf who killed the enemy with her teeth, and an orphan child I adored...

So why are you trying for multiple amputations? I'm guessing it's not for a crutch toting army if you want three or four amputations. I've found that other than spamming that they can't pick something up, multiple amputees are mostly only good for engraving. What is your purpose for them?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

JRHaggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 04:32:22 pm »

I've had great success with amputation by alligator.
It helped that my dorfs were pretty good swimmers. Often the attacked dorf would survive just fine, but his rescuer would be the one who would loose a hand or a foot. I had a dorf with nothing left but one foot, and he became a legendary engraver. He was a hero, having saved... uh... most of many children. We were pretty much constantly producing nice heavy lead crutches, and a named alligator was indeed bludgeoned to death with a rather fancy lead crutch with silver and bone decorations all over it. Sadly the crutch, being a piece of furniture, was not named. Sigh.

Ever since Alligator Creek I tend to only put a dwarf in the position of Champion if they're using a crutch (and thus must be missing part of a leg), and I forbid any wooden crutches, all our crutches are made out of heavy metals. The exceptions to that rule have been particularly spectacular fighters, such as a biting dwarf who killed the enemy with her teeth, and an orphan child I adored...

So why are you trying for multiple amputations? I'm guessing it's not for a crutch toting army if you want three or four amputations. I've found that other than spamming that they can't pick something up, multiple amputees are mostly only good for engraving. What is your purpose for them?

Dude, don't meddle with mad science. C'mon. "Why"? Start with "how"s and "in what manner"s. "To what end"s and "what is the mechanism by which"s may be used equally liberally.

But "why" is never a good place to start.

DonutDrizzle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 05:48:56 pm »

There was a thread that was able to do this successfully for most of the patients. I think it was to make a military which used platinum(?) crutches as weapons.
From memory, it involved a weapon trap containing a serrated disk and having a fully armored dwarf, minus a boot, be violently thrown into the trap while unconscious, allowing the trap to activate and hopefully remove the dwarves foot.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 05:54:05 pm »

Dude, don't meddle with mad science. C'mon. "Why"? Start with "how"s and "in what manner"s. "To what end"s and "what is the mechanism by which"s may be used equally liberally.

But "why" is never a good place to start.

Ah, my friend, it is to decide whether I too need limbless dorfs. There could be some Fun going on that I want part in.  :)
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 11:33:28 pm »

How do you drop a dwarf from a ledge?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 01:09:31 am »

How do you drop a dwarf from a ledge?
Retracting bridges.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 09:51:03 am »

Heavily armoring everything but the target body part seems to work: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135129.0 (link found in the Academy of Science)