Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure mode backpacks?  (Read 6455 times)

Garn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventure mode backpacks?
« on: December 02, 2012, 07:01:17 pm »

so I made a large island with an assload of megabeasts and whatnot, threw it to year 1500, and I made a peasant outsider, since starting with clothes is too easy, and what I'm wondering is, will I ever get my hands on a backpack?
without a backpack it'll take at least twice as long to grind up throwing, I can't carry weapons of varying metals for werebeasts, different weapon types, vanity stuff like a pond turtle or a night creature horn, and more importantly I can't carry meat around with me, or other animal products that I can sell at a town for its currency. I've been looking around bandit camps and trying to look for backpacks and waterskins but all I'm finding are bags and chests; waterskins are something I can work around though, since I can drink blood or water that gets on my skin/weapons

I've had such a bad experience trying to find backpacks for sale with all of my adventurers overall after DF2012, that I haven't found  single one, and my current dude only knows of one town, this one in particular is humongous and infested with abandoned shops and houses, some of which have $$ surrounding their items, and none of the stores I've found so far have any backpack inside; additionally I haven't found any outdoor auctions in this town, probably because theres like 20 lairs containing multiple vampires around the town and cause it has a sewer filled with the skeletons of various animal people. The only place I'll have left to look is inside the vampire caves, where theres usually a vampire deep in the 1-wide entrance. Obviously I don't wanna sneak in there since most of these guys have killed over 500 people, and I won't be going to kill em for a long time.

Has anyone ever seen a naturally spawned backpack or waterskin in vanilla DF2012 adventure mode that wasn't on them when they made their dude?

McFeel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure mode backpacks?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 08:19:35 pm »

Hi,

I don't play as outsider for now, but I usually find backpacks, waterskins and quivers in the keeps of the towns, and in the dungeons (with a lot of more valuable stuff).

I hope that you find your preciate backpack.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 01:21:39 am »

Yeah, I always find those in keeps, dungeons and lairs. Especially in an old world you should be finding lots of them.

Cassandra

• Bay Watcher
  • Serpent Lady, Slayer of Ancients
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 01:27:59 am »

Keeps, dungeons, titan lairs, yes. Titan lairs also have a high chance for elven sized armor, amazingly enough.
Cassandra likes elves for their taste, Cobalt for it's pretty colors, and kittens for their cute intentions. She is incredibly strong, but horribly unlucky, and speaks with a rasping accent. She is white with black eyes. She likes dwarves for their hilarious intentions.

"The fuck do you mean by 'plot'"

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 04:55:19 pm »

Keeps, dungeons, titan lairs, yes. Titan lairs also have a high chance for elven sized armor, amazingly enough.

Elves, Goblins, and Dwarves all use the same size. The game only takes volume into account when determining armour fit these days.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 11:08:44 pm »

Dry-clean it, it'll stretch. ;)

Start a fort somewhere near the city, make 8000 backpacks, abandon, then bring your adventurer in there to raid.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 02:11:50 am »

You're gonna find one eventually, just keep looking.

Garn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 10:10:19 am »

ok so long story short I found a backpack in a vampire's lair with legendary+5 ambushing, grinded some attributes to super, slow some titans and vampires, including a serpent man vampire, slaughtered bandit lords, and now I'm in a necromancer tower with novice reading and now I have a bigger problem
I finally found the slab at the top of the tower, its name is Onolgedor
when I interact with it after picking it up and then press [a] to read, it says the following
You read Onolgedor.
"The secrets of life and death"
and thats it
just after that, I dropped the slab, pressed x, and looked under both acquired powers and natural abilities, and I see no abilities there
do I need more than novice reading to become a necromancer?
edit: I tried reading it more than once, it says the same thing each time, and when I [l]ook at myself, is still doesn't say necromancer anywhere; additionally when I press u on top of a corpse and interact with it, then corpse doesn't become animated
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 10:41:14 am by Garn »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 10:30:59 am »

No, reading the slab should make you a necro immediately. You should have "animate corpse" as acquired power.

McFeel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 12:43:49 pm »

One of the books that are scattered in the tower will make you a necromancer, after reading it. You will see it beacuse will be added to your name necromancer and a pink curse icon. You have to read all the books until you find the one.

Cassandra

• Bay Watcher
  • Serpent Lady, Slayer of Ancients
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 01:28:34 pm »

Are you an elf or a goblin?
Cassandra likes elves for their taste, Cobalt for it's pretty colors, and kittens for their cute intentions. She is incredibly strong, but horribly unlucky, and speaks with a rasping accent. She is white with black eyes. She likes dwarves for their hilarious intentions.

"The fuck do you mean by 'plot'"

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 05:05:06 pm »

This. If you're already immortal, you cannot possibly comprehend what it is to age and die. You cannot become a necromancer.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Garn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 07:37:48 pm »

This. If you're already immortal, you cannot possibly comprehend what it is to age and die. You cannot become a necromancer.
damn
im an elf btw, i love that speed

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 08:27:41 pm »

Three easy fixes.

1) Play as a non-outsider.  Drop your bag somewheres you can find later as an outsider (cheater :P )

2) Quivers.  with the power of quivers, the worst part of it is the micromanaging.  Though compared to the rest of DF its really onkly a minor step up.

3) Mod.  I'm sure there is a mod to make one or 'find' one.

Not true.  They lack the correct (or any in goblin's case) pantheon.  Lemme grab the thread link. . .  (They need religions)

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=116730.msg3628331#msg3628331

No Gob in this tower, but an elf and a serpent man.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 08:30:29 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 07:36:28 am »

There are quite a number of simple mods that add crafting reactions to allow an outsider to forage, kill and craft all his supplies.